Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2010, 14:18   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hps aulakh View Post
have checked from the dealership,its a genuine clean car. Besides that the person who has to sell the car is a friend.He only told me about this deal. I only want to compare it with a Honda Accord.

Forget the Accord, at this price the car is a steal. Something like what GTO managed with his Civic, or I dare say even better. If you don't want this car, put a AD in classified's section, it will be bought in no time!!
Old 18th May 2010, 19:04   #17
BHPian

Checkout with insurance, if there would be any damage it would have definetely claimed. I am too from patiala, would love to see your car as I am a bog fan of Hyundai Sonata.
Old 19th May 2010, 13:13   #18
evo
BHPian

This sounds like one of those killer deals that come once in a while. Since Sonatas anyways depreciate like mad, keep in mind that you will be better off if you are keeping the car for atleast two years.
Old 19th May 2010, 16:37   #19
BANNED

I was given a negative opinion at two dealerships,the answer was that it is the proverbial
dead snake around the the neck.To sell a used embera is next to impossible.The spares are not available.There are hardly any emberas to be seen on the roads. So now i am going in for 2009 accord.Anyway thanks for the suggestions.
Old 18th January 2012, 19:05   #20
BHPian

Used Sonata Embera

My neighbours Sonata Embera AT Petrol 2008 model is for sale, it has done 45k kilometres. It’s got new tyres and battery and the car is maintained well. He is expecting 4 lakhs for the car. Can you please advise if I can go for this car?

I plan to keep this car for next 4 years. First thing I plan do is add LPG kit so that it works out cheap to run the car. Is it advisable to convert this car to gas?

Thanks in advance for all suggestions and advice
Old 19th January 2012, 10:25   #21
BHPian

Re: Used Sonata Embera

Dude close eyes and buy it, fantastic price for a very good but not marketed well car.You will not get a small hatch auto for that price.If I was in your situation would have posted that bought it and posted photos also.
s.prashanth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2012, 10:47   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by visu03 View Post
My neighbours Sonata Embera AT Petrol 2008 model is for sale, it has done 45k kilometres. It’s got new tyres and battery and the car is maintained well. He is expecting 4 lakhs for the car. Can you please advise if I can go for this car?
Worth buying for a super luxurious experience, but please keep the following points in mind
  1. Good underrated car ; just check on spare parts availability in your City(you won't need them in a hurry but at least filters should be available)
  2. condition yourself to be seeing 8kmpl fuel efficiency
  3. I'd stronly advise you against lpg
  4. be prepared for negligible resale value
vigsom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2012, 10:56   #23
BHPian

That is a steal at 4 lakhs. Get it checked at a service station once then you can go ahead with the purchase. This can be a good second car.

However, I would not advise you to convert it into LPG. This can is not meant to run to LPG, more over it will affect the resale value further.
mac187 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2012, 11:03   #24
BHPian

Best thing about the car you are talking about is its history. I guess you being the neighbour must be aware of its usage and record.
Sonata's resale was always pathetic and for 4 lakhs it is a good deal.
Still make sure that
- Fuel economy will be on the lower side. Running cost can be quite high
- Maintaining a D segment car can be expensive.

Initial expenditure might be less but gradual expenditure can be on the higher side.
Make sure you are ok it with.

Otherwise it is a luxury car at rock bottom price
Turbokick is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2012, 11:45   #25
BHPian

Just grab it.

Its such a fine vehicle, you won't ever have a grudge against a Hyundai after this. The parts are a little bit on the higher side though.
deepfusion is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2012, 11:57   #26
BHPian

Quote:
First thing I plan do is add LPG kit so that it works out cheap to run the car. Is it advisable to convert this car to gas?
No issues in converting the car to an alternative fuel. I have a 2003 model Sonata (Jaguar look) which was converted a couple of years ago and it runs real good. You wont even know if the car is running on petrol or gas.

BTW.. I am planning to sell of my car, if intrested PM me!!
ObsessedByFIAT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2012, 12:10   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I plan to keep this car for next 4 years. First thing I plan do is add LPG kit so that it works out cheap to run the car. Is it advisable to convert this car to gas?

Thanks in advance for all suggestions and advice
The Sonata Embera is a great car, although it never sold much in India, and being the lucky neighbour, you've known the car from the beginning, so all in all, it sounds like a great deal, and you could consider buying it.

However, please bear in mind that the spares for the Sonata are not cheap, and since you plan on keeping this for the next 4 years, any maintainence costs are likely to be high.

Not too sure about running it on gas, but Conversion to lpg/cng usually results in a slight power loss, and might not be advisable. Probably best to check with the Hyundai service center and the Gas conversion garages. I guess since Hyundai sells the Santro and Accent in LPG, it might be possible to run the Sonata on LPG too. But please check with them before going in for the conversion.
Lalvaz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2012, 12:14   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear, close your eyes and get her home.
I have driven Embera MT only once, but I'm quite satisfied with the ride and handling.

4 year old D-segment sedan for 4 lakh is a nice deal if the condition of vehicle is good. Couple of negatives being FE & maintenance.

FE you can compensate with LPG kit, but maintenance, you have to live with it.

Please do post some snaps (if possible)

ps: reason for sale?
Mr.Boss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2012, 12:39   #29
Senior - BHPian

As far as I know Sonata Embera, in India, came with AT option only on diesel, are you sure? Only the 1st gen Sonata 2.7 V6 came with auto box. Kindly check out the details and reply.
Durango Dude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2012, 17:06   #30
BHPian

Re: Used Hyundai Sonata Embera

Thanks to all who have responded and shared your inputs. I am going to take the car from my neighbor and start enjoying the D segment car.

One small correct this car is a manual transmission car, not an automatic. Sorry for the wrong information

I am aware that the car does 7-8 kmpl in City, hence the idea of LPG conversion. I will visit Hyundai showroom to check on the LPG kit for the car.

For buying this car I am saying to myself that:
- I will keep the car for 4 years, doesn't matter after 4 years if i have to sell it for 40% this price.
- Since this is a second car, i will be doing no more that 5-6k kilometers a year. With this in mind, I hope no major replacements would be required (current 45k on ODO, after 4 years it will be 70k)

Last edited by visu03 : 19th January 2012 at 17:07. Reason: Missed one line

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks