Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2013, 21:05   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Used Hyundai Sonata Embera

This was a real nice and honest review.
If you want to do something about the driveability and FE, you may want to touch base with Digital Vampire. He owns a Tucson and I got my Tucson remapped from him.
Old 16th July 2013, 00:40   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
This was a real nice and honest review.
If you want to do something about the driveability and FE, you may want to touch base with Digital Vampire. He owns a Tucson and I got my Tucson remapped from him.
Thanks Anand, I followed your lead and dug up Digital Vampire's thread, I realized Digital Vampire is from Kerala so that's good as I too am from Kerala.
One thing I am not certain of is, will any changes affect the warranty offered. I'll check and reach you, but thanks for letting me know of an option.
Since you are in Pune and I may visit Pune during the monsoons for the adventure thrills/parks and rafting (Kundalika) it offers, maybe I can come over and see your Tucson too.
s_pphilip is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2013, 01:51   #78
BHPian

I tried to edit the previous post to upload an enlarged image of the pic posted, didn't realize there is a time constraint.

It was clicked on our trip to Lonavala 10 days back

Used Hyundai Sonata Embera-lonavala.jpg
s_pphilip is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2013, 03:49   #79
BHPian

I love this kind of fog, it really feels heavenly.

Used Hyundai Sonata Embera-dsc_0065.jpg

Used Hyundai Sonata Embera-dsc_0096.jpg

Used Hyundai Sonata Embera-dsc_0071.jpg

Used Hyundai Sonata Embera-dsc_0070.jpg

Used Hyundai Sonata Embera-dsc_0068.jpg

The drive is a joy:

Used Hyundai Sonata Embera-dsc_0077.jpg

My best friend who's b'day we celebrated in Pune, this is in Corinthians.

Used Hyundai Sonata Embera-dsc_0105.jpg

Used Hyundai Sonata Embera-dsc_0055.jpg

Nothing beats those beautiful minutes you spend here.
Attached Thumbnails
Used Hyundai Sonata Embera-dsc_0095.jpg  

Last edited by s_pphilip : 16th July 2013 at 03:52. Reason: Pic clarity poor
Old 16th July 2013, 07:29   #80
Senior - BHPian

I am not aware what your notions were before picking up the Sonata but the cars strong points include Space , comfort , ride quality , reliability and ease of ownership. I had the original sonata gold and covered over 300k kms before selling it and picked up a sonata transform crdi At which has also covered 80,000 kms.
It gives unmatched comfort while covering large distances something which the Honda city cannot match. Yes , it is slow to change directions and prefers a relaxed driving style . Give it time and it ll grow on you.
Old 16th July 2013, 08:22   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_pphilip View Post
Pacifica, that is a lot of miles.
A question though vague, can you clarify whether the dolphin Honda City (NHC) has a softer ride than Embera?
The mileage too is a bit low from what I expected, rest all is good for now.
Thanks for your help.
s_pphilip,

First of all, my apologies for the delayed response; busy with work.

I've only once ever ridden in a New Honda City (NHC), but that was with a full load of five adults and that car scraped every speed breaker and bottomed into every pothole. I should think your Embera would do much better, ride-wise.

I think you reported a mileage of 13 kmpl for your diesel Embera, which sounds pretty good. Its a big and heavy car. I get 7 - 8 kmpl city and 11 - 12 highway, and I'm a *very* sedate driver.
Old 16th July 2013, 08:48   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Very lethargic/not agile, can't change direction swiftly and any input you provide is not based on reflex but premeditated.
Big car, 5.5m long, can't expect it to corner like a Swift.

Quote:
Maybe because it is a 5 yr model, but the controls like accelerator pedal, brake pedal feel like they have a lag in it.
That shouldn't be; get them checked, especially the brake lag. My Embera always stops crisply and reliably when I brake. Don't delay on this; you may have worn out brake pads or something.

Quote:
Mileage is unexpectedly low, about 12 with a/c and about 13 w/o a/c or minimal a/c. I thought it will give about 14/15 respectively.
I think the mileage is fine, but then I have a petrol AT model so I'm used to fairly dismal fuel efficiency figures, compared to the lightweight petrol hatchbacks.

Quote:
The locking system is weird, (I noticed it is the same for i20 too), the front doors can be opened from inside even if you lock it centrally, dangerous for old people or children, small children need to be kept in the rear seat only.
Do NOT keep children in the front seat under any circumstances. Small children should be strapped in to a child seat or booster seat in the rear only. If at all you must keep children in the front (passenger seat), be sure to deactivate the passenger airbag at least.

Quote:
Lack of bottle holders
Does yours have the rubber retainer for the front bottle holders? I usually keep two bottles there and it doesn't bother me but then I don't need to keep changing gears all the time.

Quote:
I think this car has only 1 trip meter, which is bad, there is a multi-information display but that does not provide any useful information, the distance to empty rapidly keeps reducing, which is scary.
If you think yours is scary you should see mine. It literally starts plummeting as I drive out of the petrol pump. What I've noticed is that it drops much faster in the city than it does on the highway.

Quote:
Though this is not a young fresh design, it is pretty graceful/proportional and does not look odd from any angle.
True, it is a solid, stable, conservative design that will age well.

Quote:
The occasional highway straight drives is a delight. It feels comfortable at speeds like 90kmph.
Totally. This is the best aspect of the car. I just wish it had cruise control.

Quote:
Space and Leather around you.
Totally. I upgraded to the Embera from an Esteem, and the amount of interior space and comfort was amazing.

Quote:
Maintenance and Reliability and Spares: can't comment yet.
Don't worry. Maintenance is not very expensive, the car is very reliable, and spares are easily available.

Quote:
Something to highlight, because I am moving around in the Sonata, my whole driving style has changed, I let others overtake me because this car is not agile like the Swift, here, press the accelerator to up the pace and response is pathetic at slow speeds, I take corners slow, reverse slow, and prefer driving in a lower gear to keep the engine above 1k/1.2k rpms. Even the manual recommends that 6th gear should have the car running around 80/90kmph. There are hardly any roads in Goa for this.
Interesting. I agree this car can't be chucked around like a Swift. But then its so much bigger and heavier. Response-wise, there is enough spare engine power so I find it responsive enough, even at 100kmph-plus I can floor the pedal and it will kick down and respond. Corners - you can actually take corners faster in this car than in a Swift, since the long wheel base will allow you to do so safely.

Quote:
Now I realize why this car didn't do exceptionally well as I find the Honda City an amazing product at 2/3rd the price. Also why ACM kept insisting on the Skoda's though we were really reluctant on Skoda's.
The car flopped because no one wanted to pay that much for a Hyundai and the mileage sucked big time for our kitna deti hai wallahs. Plus the fact that its a depreciation disaster. But all that adds up to a sweet deal in the used car market.

Quote:
Maybe since Pacifica has petrol the petrol must be ultra responsive and hence characteristics different.
I would *never* call my petrol AT "ultra-responsive". Its just a fine reliable family car with good highway manners and best suited to a sedate driving style.

Quote:
Our priority was space and comfort and hence it fits the bill based on our priorities.
It will more than meet these expectations of yours.

Quote:
We are looking forward to many happy miles. We plan to drive down to Kerala to witness the Onnam festivities this year, those long drives will get the car back in color.
Wish you many happy miles of motoring with your Embera.
Old 16th July 2013, 11:04   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Anand, I followed your lead and dug up Digital Vampire's thread, I realized Digital Vampire is from Kerala so that's good as I too am from Kerala.
One thing I am not certain of is, will any changes affect the warranty offered. I'll check and reach you, but thanks for letting me know of an option.
Since you are in Pune and I may visit Pune during the monsoons for the adventure thrills/parks and rafting (Kundalika) it offers, maybe I can come over and see your Tucson too.
You are welcome.
Yes, the remap he did for my Tucson really made it a pleasure to drive.

Let me know when your Pune trip is finalized and we will meet.
Old 16th July 2013, 20:22   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigron View Post
I am not aware what your notions were before picking up the Sonata but the cars strong points include Space , comfort , ride quality , reliability and ease of ownership. I had the original sonata gold and covered over 300k kms before selling it and picked up a sonata transform crdi At which has also covered 80,000 kms.
It gives unmatched comfort while covering large distances something which the Honda city cannot match. Yes , it is slow to change directions and prefers a relaxed driving style . Give it time and it ll grow on you.
It is owners like you who give us confidence about our purchase, that is some serious miles, 300k, wow and you managed to sell it too.
I don't think I have done that many kms even if I add the kms done by all the wheels I have.
You must be feeling really high about Hyundai, one happy customer.

I am still getting a hang of it, call it novelty, but these days I am covering distances in it, approx 1k a week, mostly weekend accumulations.

Its only 20 days and we have done about 2.3k kms.
All that bulk masks the speed and distances well.

I will try and see if I can get to drive another Embera from somewhere and that way I can confirm whether I need to get something checked on this.
For now we are feeling happy all the way and want that to stay.
Old 16th July 2013, 21:12   #85
BHPian

Thanks Pacifica for your detailed response, my response is included in your message.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacifica View Post
Big car, 5.5m long, can't expect it to corner like a Swift.

That shouldn't be; get them checked, especially the brake lag. My Embera always stops crisply and reliably when I brake. Don't delay on this; you may have worn out brake pads or something.

I think the mileage is fine, but then I have a petrol AT model so I'm used to fairly dismal fuel efficiency figures, compared to the lightweight petrol hatchbacks.

I will get them checked both with the dealer as well as compare with another Embera if I can get another, it could also be my expectation/perception that needs to change. :-)
I did check the brake pads and they are fine as per the dealer, still have good life.

Do NOT keep children in the front seat under any circumstances. Small children should be strapped in to a child seat or booster seat in the rear only. If at all you must keep children in the front (passenger seat), be sure to deactivate the passenger airbag at least.

Don't have any mostly, but my friend has a mischievous 6 yr old and he is always tugging, pulling, pressing, clicking something so it is scary, I always make sure he is in the back seat and I drive real slow. He doesn't allow himself to be held by anything.
Also I tell the front co-passenger about this system always.

Does yours have the rubber retainer for the front bottle holders? I usually keep two bottles there and it doesn't bother me but then I don't need to keep changing gears all the time.

I don't have any rubber retainers in front, don't see a provision either - but it is there in the rear hand rest - hence a full bottle gets thrown out due to inertia, only happened once though, still is scary.

If you think yours is scary you should see mine. It literally starts plummeting as I drive out of the petrol pump. What I've noticed is that it drops much faster in the city than it does on the highway.

Will observe this, but for now it defies logic, don't have enough long straights in Goa.

True, it is a solid, stable, conservative design that will age well.

Totally. This is the best aspect of the car. I just wish it had cruise control.

Totally. I upgraded to the Embera from an Esteem, and the amount of interior space and comfort was amazing.

I agree. Esteem to Embera is a leap of faith, I don't think you can go back to a smaller one.

Don't worry. Maintenance is not very expensive, the car is very reliable, and spares are easily available.

We are hoping so.

Interesting. I agree this car can't be chucked around like a Swift. But then its so much bigger and heavier. Response-wise, there is enough spare engine power so I find it responsive enough, even at 100kmph-plus I can floor the pedal and it will kick down and respond. Corners - you can actually take corners faster in this car than in a Swift, since the long wheel base will allow you to do so safely.

Well I may not have got a hang of it yet then, but I find Swift or a City very very easy to maneuver, you can drive them sub-consciously, Embera every input is a decision.
At 40kmph the car does not accelerate unless you downshift to 2nd from 4th and still there is a slight lag. Above 80kmph is a different story altogether, its only smiles.

The car flopped because no one wanted to pay that much for a Hyundai and the mileage sucked big time for our kitna deti hai wallahs. Plus the fact that its a depreciation disaster. But all that adds up to a sweet deal in the used car market.

Yeah true, I think a lot more should find the Embera (esp. crdi) attractive if they come in terms with what it generously offers. Its a good buy, pre-owned.

I would *never* call my petrol AT "ultra-responsive". Its just a fine reliable family car with good highway manners and best suited to a sedate driving style.

I just assumed that the petrol will be better, because it is a 2.4 and secondly it won't have the infamous turbo-lag.

It will more than meet these expectations of yours.

For now it seems it does, both on the big car feel and space. Big car I say again because the biggest sized car I have been exposed to was Ambassador & Tata Estate (comparable size wise), its always been the smaller ones as in City's and Maruti's and Ford's, this is our first big car experience and boy, we are really enjoying it, driving into a restaurant parking and feeling different. There is an aura around you, when it is your first big car.

Wish you many happy miles of motoring with your Embera.

Thanks Pacifica, I will be turning to you every time I need any clarity regarding the Embera. I noticed you are from Pune too, which part? My best friend works in Baner, so whenever I am nearby Pune, I go there.

Last edited by s_pphilip : 16th July 2013 at 21:27. Reason: Noticed Pacifica from Pune
Old 16th July 2013, 21:18   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
You are welcome.
Yes, the remap he did for my Tucson really made it a pleasure to drive.

Let me know when your Pune trip is finalized and we will meet.
Thanks Anand, I shall ping you and let you know, where are you based in Pune?
Also I haven't checked on the warranty yet, won't any mod to the engine void it by default?

Even I plan to keep this thread alive, by regular posts. Somebody wanting to switch to a big car (Sonata) can find this helpful.

Last edited by s_pphilip : 16th July 2013 at 21:42.
Old 16th July 2013, 23:32   #87
Senior - BHPian

I would recommend a thorough check up and service of your car. That way you ll be aware of what needs to be changed and what has been changed. Lubes changed , brake overhaul , suspension re torquing , air conditioner , filters , etc. The service is not very expensive and the general attitude of the dealers is very acceptable.
Old 17th July 2013, 17:16   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Pacifica for your detailed response.
Glad to help, thats what we are on this forum for.

Mine is a 2.4 petrol AT with only four gears, whereas you have the CRDI with five or six gears. I would think you would be able to coax better performance out of yours.

I live in Wakad. Ping me when you are here next; you can try out my petrol Embera to compare the braking.
Old 17th July 2013, 19:39   #89
BHPian

Thanks Bigron and Pacifica.
Today I visited the 2nd Hyundai dealer in Goa for a general checkup/servicing, so I should take an appointment some time this week or next, lets see.

I sure would like to meet you personally Pacifica, loads of know-how I can gather, my next visit to Pune it is, then.
Old 19th July 2013, 03:58   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacifica View Post
Glad to help, thats what we are on this forum for.

Mine is a 2.4 petrol AT with only four gears, whereas you have the CRDI with five or six gears. I would think you would be able to coax better performance out of yours.
I should agree on such occasions, methinks.
Last evening while taking a friend for a spin, since I normally drive at 60/70 kmph, proactively being safe, also because the car mostly feels lethargic, we hence thought of speeding, for the car to display its character.
The last instance I had a blast was on NH-4, 2 weeks back.

Hence on a straight stretch of less than a km between a speed breaker and junction, I accelerated from 1st gear after the speed breaker and momentarily touched 160 kmph on the speedo in 4th before backing out, I was hesitant as this is a public road and it still was accelerating.
I braked immediately to saner speeds so did not observe the rpm.

Both me and my friend were pleasantly surprised by the power, he asked me the power rating and apart from the 'cc', I didn't know the 'bhp', I assumed it must be about 130-ish, so I asked him to check the RC book,
It is 142 HP, I was like WOWie, that almost double of the Honda City (NHC). Add all that crdi torque to it.
I even googled out of curiosity and found the 2.4 VTVT has 165 HP.
I must say this must be among the most powerful cars one can lay hands on at good pre-owned prices.

On a different note during all that display while dabbing the accelerator on standstill there is clouds of black smoke spewed out of the exhaust. So we went to the other Hyundai dealer in Goa (other than the one we picked the car from, we picked from Hyundai Advantage).
He said this is normal when you press the accelerator, he even casually went for a small drive and said the car is in good condition, he said the suspension, brakes, acceleration is as should be.

He asked me when have we done the last servicing, I told him we picked the car second-hand recently and the service is due after 6 months. He said he will check his computer records and that is when I was shocked, almost going weak in my knees.

He said the car has had a irregular servicing history with intermittent spans of almost 25 k kms.
The owner son and the advantage guys had told us that the car is serviced regularly, the owner (I know him through my circle) is a pretty affluent businessman/local politician.

Moreover Advantage even offered 12 months warranty at additional cost.
Since the owner said he got the car serviced from the same dealer regularly and the same dealer's advantage wing verbally said it is regularly serviced, we did not ask for service records at the time of buying assuming that Advantage will obviously ensure this is taken care of, I think this was foolishness on our part.

This has got us a bit worried and I have asked the Advantage fellow to confirm this, on asking even he said the car is in good condition, though he will provide details tomorrow, may be I am reading too much into this.

During delivery when asked Advantage only mentioned that a major servicing is due at 90k kms and the next servicing is after 6 months and we get 2 free services as per the warranty.

If this is so it will definitely mean that the oil filter and oil change hasn't been done as per schedule, how badly will it affect the engine/mechanicals of the car?

Is it possible that they do not update it in the Hyundai service records, and maintain a separate individual dealer record?

If it was a Swift I would not be so bothered, this being an expensive to maintain engine with high pressure components, has got us all worried.
Even when typing this in, my mind is spinning.

I hope I get a positive response tomorrow and can laugh at my imagination spinning wild.

Last edited by s_pphilip : 19th July 2013 at 04:10.

Most Viewed