Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2010, 22:36   #16
Senior - BHPian

Accord at 10 lacs is expensive. 8.5 sounds better BUT the condition if very good then cannot comment. We got plenty on sale here in Agra and they go from 6 lacs to 8 lacs. Conditions are average.

Jetta is pricey BUTthen its brand new almost. I have never driven one so cannot comment.

Although the Accords a far better performance car.
Old 23rd May 2010, 23:53   #17
BHPian

Its not fair to compare a V6 Accord to a Jetta. Accord is an outright performance oriented thing and will only make sense if you really want the monster. If you just want a nice big car its better to pick a normal 2.4. Easier on the pocket and easier to find. Jetta must be a great car but its to plain atleast for my taste. And maintaining it will not be cheap by any means.
Old 24th May 2010, 01:40   #18
Team-BHP Support

is the jetta a dsg or a manual? i would say if you can get it to around 12.5 pick up the jetta. its a much more balanced car than the accord, in terms of handling etc. + the dsg would have paddle shift, and i think it will have many more gadgets like 6 airbags, touchscreen etc. but it would not come close to the thrill youll get from a v6 at full throttle.

bear in mind the maintainence will be quite a bit higher on the jetta as compared to the accord.
Old 24th May 2010, 01:50   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
is the jetta a dsg or a manual?......
.....bear in mind the maintainence will be quite a bit higher on the jetta as compared to the accord.
It should be dsg as the comfortline varient had only A/T.
I dont think that the Jetta will be costlier than the Accord (V6) on the maintenance side.
Old 24th May 2010, 06:55   #20
BHPian

Thanks Guys.

Akshay the Jetta is a DSG with paddle shifts. Black with beige upholstery.

Fuel prices are headed north in a big way soon. I was wondering if it made more sense to buy a great diesel car and bung a tuning box in.

Does anyone know if the PD engine can be modded with a box? or is it only CRdi engines?

Also need to urgently know FAIR price I should offer. I was thinking 13?

I was really surprised when I saw the car because the broker told me it was a manual 2.0 L. I think he had no clue.

Akshay, maintenance should not be an issue because it has a 4 year warranty. I have no idea what it covers and I presume its transferable. I will find out from the dealer today.

If all else fails the Accord is there! My company pays my fuel bills but buying the car is on my own steam.

Opinions boys? I want to thank everyone who has spared the time to comment. It really helps me decide.
Old 24th May 2010, 11:30   #21
Team-BHP Support

the tuning box can be used on this car too. the power would go upto 133hp and the torque to 300nm.
Old 24th May 2010, 11:56   #22
BHPian

tricky one indeed.
mind says Jetta, heart says accord.
Old 24th May 2010, 12:11   #23
BHPian

Well the Jetta looks like a long shot right now.

VW says they don't transfer the warranty from the first owner. Only the AMC !

Trying to clarify things, but no way am I going to touch the car without coverage.

The Accord is a safer bet then.
Old 24th May 2010, 19:04   #24
Senior - BHPian

I think 8.5 to 9 is fine for the Accord (considering its 4 years old). Personally, I wont spend 12.5 on a Jetta (too plain for my taste). Would go for a brand new Altis, Civic or Cruze then.
Old 24th May 2010, 19:32   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vajra View Post
Well the Jetta looks like a long shot right now.

VW says they don't transfer the warranty from the first owner. Only the AMC !

Trying to clarify things, but no way am I going to touch the car without coverage.

The Accord is a safer bet then.
in that case forget the jetta. especially since its a dsg, if anything goes wrong youll have a huge bill.

i think if you can get the accord around 9.5 its a good price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
I think 8.5 to 9 is fine for the Accord (considering its 4 years old). Personally, I wont spend 12.5 on a Jetta (too plain for my taste). Would go for a brand new Altis, Civic or Cruze then.
the accord isnt even 3 years old my friend. and if you see the interiors of the jetta its a whole level above the civic, altis etc.
Old 24th May 2010, 21:23   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I just saw a 2004 BMW 318i (manual) that appears to have done 20,000km. Condition appeared excellent. Imported by Kashyap Motors in August of that year and immediately transferred to the owner ( a limited company). The demand is for 12.90 but I figure I could offer 9-10?
Is it auto or manual? Its a smooth engine that can be revved all day and with a manual can be a lot of fun. Accord can never give you the same image as a Beemer.

Yes its high maintenance but since its only 20K run not much work required at this stage. If I were you I would use it for a couple years and sell it off at around 50K kms.

Last edited by Mpower : 25th May 2010 at 00:23.
Old 25th May 2010, 14:56   #27
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The question is
1) How much do I quote? I figured 13 and the broker says 14.25.

Suggestions lads. Accord or Jetta? If Jetta what should I quote?
Neither! Since your budget allows, why not consider the new Skoda Laura TSI? Sure, the after-sales is rubbish and reliability is only so-so (but then, you have also considered a VW, Merc and BMW). On the positive side, there is simply no other car like it - TO DRIVE - for 15 lakhs. The engine is stunning, road dynamics very mature and the open road will always result in a permanent smile on your face.

You shouldn't be bothered with FE, as your running is on the lower side. Go out, have a blast.

P.S. First make sure you search through the forum for a good Skoda center in Delhi. Most of them are thieves, this is a MUST-HAVE. My recommendation holds good ONLY if you can find an ethical Skoda dealer in the North.

Last edited by GTO : 25th May 2010 at 14:59.
Old 26th May 2010, 11:59   #28
BHPian

Thanks GTO!

Always value your inputs.

Cant act on your recommendations although there is no dispute the car is superb.

1. I am going by your pre worshipped philosophy and aiming to spend 10 on a car worth much more new.

2. I don't have the guts to take on the Skoda dealers after hearing the stories (even outside the forum).

As you guys know, the best part of owning the car is the hunt for the prefect beast.

I have expanded my search downward as well and am looking at the Cedia as its a great drivers car with superb modding potential. Ideally would like a 2008-9 specimen in good shape and I would be happy to pay a very fair price for it.

On reflection, the car I buy should be a good drivers car. Feeling of safety at high speeds, handling, reliability and maintenance all have to be very good.

Its ironic that the Cedia can provide much of that at a ridiculous price second hand.

Outright acceleration and even top speed is irrelevant to me. More for the statistician. I dont see myself timing a a 0 - whatever sprint, neither do I have the guts to drive consistently above 150.

I have touched 200 in my C 180 years ago on the expressway but in my opinion in India that's living dangerously. Its a better idea to hire a car in Germany and let her rip!

But that's my view and I know many of you petrol heads out there must be tut tutting in dismay. I am 47 now and have been driving since I was 16. Thankfully incident free all these years.

The hunt continues!
Old 27th May 2010, 13:30   #29
BHPian

Guys,

Evaluating a BMW 320d tomorrow morning. April 2007 model, done 50k km, seems to be in excellent condition, price is around 16.

Six months warranty on engine and gearbox. One years comprehensive insurance.

Opinions?
Old 27th May 2010, 22:55   #30
evo
BHPian

Quote:
Guys,

Evaluating a BMW 320d tomorrow morning. April 2007 model, done 50k km, seems to be in excellent condition, price is around 16.

Six months warranty on engine and gearbox. One years comprehensive insurance.

Opinions?
Seems very overpriced considering 2008 320`s with sub 10k on the odos are available for 17-18 post the Corp Ed.

Most Viewed