Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2010, 18:40   #1
BHPian

Help!- used 318i, C200 AT or Accord 3.0V6?

Hi Guys,

After being addicted to this site, I finally have something to say.

A Bombay-ite living in Delhi for the last year, I have a huge car bug. I rent in a place where vintage cars are restored and I must post pics of them soon.

But more to the point of this post, I am looking for a car in the 10 L ish range.

I just saw a 2004 BMW 318i (manual) that appears to have done 20,000km. Condition appeared excellent. Imported by Kashyap Motors in August of that year and immediately transferred to the owner ( a limited company). The demand is for 12.90 but I figure I could offer 9-10?

The other car was a C 200 AT with 38000 on the clock. Interior condition excellent. The demand was for 13.25 L. I figure the correct price is around 12L ?

I have owned a C180 in the past and the temptation to buy one of these beauties is strong.

I also have an offer for a Honda Accord 3.0 V6 2007 model with only 25000 on the clock in excellent condition. This history is know to me. The demand is for Rs 10L which I feel is a bit high. It should be closer to 9L?

Guys the question is, which one to go for?

My daily drive is about 20km and is usually not more than 1000 km a month.

I would go on a highway long distance maybe once in six months.

I know the German cars may be killers in maintenance and I dont have terribly deep pockets. Just a lot of sang froid

So please do chip in with opinions. All are welcome but I hope to hear GTO's measured response and Ajmats deep knowledge of all things BMW!

Thanks in advance for your time
Old 20th May 2010, 20:00   #2
Team-BHP Support

well lets put it like this

accord
+ fastest acceleration of the lot. leaves the other 2 in the dust.
+ better ride in the city, much more interior space.
+ honda reliability, relatively cheaper maintainence.
+ just about as many gadgets as the germans.

- less snob value
- little less mileage, in delhi you should get 6.5 easily. your running isnt that much it should be fine.

c200 and 318i
+ slower acceleration but better handling and marginally better high speed stability (speeds above 140-150)
+ better snob value
+ smaller size could be a +

- more expensive to maintain, little niggles will keep coming. parts expensive.
- the bmw is a 6 year old car and the merc is probably at least 5.

thats all i could think of now.
Old 20th May 2010, 21:43   #3
BHPian

accord anyday.you can consider 2.4 also.
Old 20th May 2010, 23:04   #4
evo
BHPian

2004 car with 20k on the odo? Hmm. Some fish in the vicinity?
Old 20th May 2010, 23:13   #5
Team-BHP Support

oh i forgot to add to my post what i think you should buy.

the accord. its fast, and reliable.
Old 20th May 2010, 23:16   #6
Team-BHP Support

I have a soft spot for the E46. Although lacking in performance, it is an engaging drive. However, there is no luxury in it
Old 21st May 2010, 09:48   #7

Vajra,

I mean regardless of what you are looking for, unless ofcourse its the emblems on the front and rear, the Accord V6 is the best option by far!!

318i and c200 in all ways, power, comfort (space), maintenance and reliability. Fuel efficiency is questionable but the drive of the V6 makes up for the thirsty engine. As far as maintenance goes, I have a 2006 V6 which has done 80k and i still love it. The only thing which needs changing regularly are the beak-pads (if you drive like a maniac which you will if you get this car)

So i think that a V6 with 25k miles is a lovely car. Have it inspected by a Honda service station. Also you should be able to get it for a bit cheaper than 9L i think.

Thats my two bits.

Cheers
Old 21st May 2010, 13:13   #8
BHPian

I too feel that V6 should be the choice.

10L for 2007 V6 (assuming type3) is a good price to buy in my opinion. If you can bring it down by 50k, i guess it would be an excellent price.

I am looking for an accord type 3 since some time now and i have seen MT going between 10-10.5 . V6 has to be on the higher side (talking only about type3 as type2 v6 could be either lower or of same price as type2 MT)

And just in case you are not interested in V6 (which is a doubtful case), kindly PM me the details of the seller.

Thanks.
Old 22nd May 2010, 06:49   #9
BHPian

Thanks guys! Absolutely cleared my head.

My heart was with the Germans but practicality ( if you can call buying a V6 with a petrol hike imminent) would say the Accord.

I agree with you Sobo that the price should be around 9.5. The owner is not budging as he is a very experienced vintage car person and he offered the car only because I was looking for one.

Ajmat, the Beemer looked like a simple uncomplicated car compared to the C200K at least behind the wheel. Is 9 a fair price?

Need to go into service history as the mileage seems fishy as evo commented. Haven't done that yet as this was a preliminary survey of the cars.

What would the FE be? and would maintenance be a killer? This is an imported Beemer and I have no idea if parts are stocked with the dealer

In any case I would prefer buying them from a reliable after market supplier.

Gaurav, I will definitely let you know in case I don't go ahead.

I have some amazing pics of some of the restored cars here. I will check with the owner and post them. If anyone in Delhi wants to see them and have a chilled beer, pm me. I live in the Chhatarpur area.

Once again, thanks to all who replied. This was my first attempt at communication and I am overwhelmed. Hope to add value in time to come.
Old 22nd May 2010, 11:23   #10
BHPian

An update: I just got off the phone with my landlord and owner of the V6.

Guess what? He also is a member of team bhp!

Luckily he lurks only in the vintage car forums. I did tell him I had posted this query though.

I had called him for permission to post some of the many pics I have of his vintage cars. He has agreed. So I will be doing that tomorrow (sunday) and I hope to get him to comment on it.

He is very knowledgeable about restoration and cars in general and interacting with people like that is an education.

There was VW Phaeton around last week in mint condition and I didn't take photos. Will not make that mistake again.
Old 22nd May 2010, 17:41   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I'd avoid the import BMW. The engine isn't anything to write home about, and sourcing parts will require some footwork from you. Great looking car though.

You've already owned the C Class so I'd give that a skip as well.

The Accord V6 is best of the lot. 2007 means, she's got a long healthy life ahead of her. Absolute monster of an engine, and great space to boot. She will be the most reliable / maintenance-free of the options you listed. And the quickest too! The fact that you are familiar with its history is a bonus. Your driving isn't much so the FE shouldn't be a bother.

P.S. : I'm sure the VCCI enthusiasts are looking forward to 'em vintage car pictures
Old 22nd May 2010, 18:05   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vajra
I also have an offer for a Honda Accord 3.0 V6 2007 model with only 25000 on the clock in excellent condition. This history is know to me. The demand is for Rs 10L which I feel is a bit high. It should be closer to 9L?
Its got a low resale value owing to the 5-6 kmpl fuel efficiency reputation.
You should get the 3 year old car for a lot lesser than 10 lakhs.
Old 22nd May 2010, 18:16   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Its got a low resale value owing to the 5-6 kmpl fuel efficiency reputation.
You should get the 3 year old car for a lot lesser than 10 lakhs.
nope if the car is in perfect condition 10 is the normal price. if you can get it down below 10 its a steal.
Old 22nd May 2010, 23:46   #14
Senior - BHPian

Some threads that should help you

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/luxury...ompressor.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/luxury...vs-2006-a.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/luxury...k-vs-320i.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/luxury...used-320d.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/luxury...under-12l.html

I know the specs etc differs but it should help you give you an idea about maintaining one or selecting one better.
Old 23rd May 2010, 21:54   #15
BHPian

Thanks JKdas for the effort!

GTO and Akshay, appreciate the inputs.

One slight complication. This morning when I woke up I was clear it was the Accord.

I got a call from a broker and went to see a Jetta 1.9 TDI Comfortline. Its 2 months old and done 4500 km.

The owner is a lady and apparently wants an AUDI now. She had no clue there was a change in the engine a week after she bought the car.

It cost about 17.3 on the road and the ex showroom price was about 16.30. I am sure they may have got a discount as VW must have been anxious to move the car.

I drove the car. Seems excellent. What can one say about a Jetta that's done 4500 km?

The question is
1) How much do I quote? I figured 13 and the broker says 14.25.

2) The Accord at 10 is substantially lower but the Jetta would be more economical in FE.

I plan to keep the car I buy for 5 years.

That said my monthly running is only 1000 km but the Accord FE could pinch if that changed.

The Jetta comes with a 4 year warranty ( not sure what that covers)

Suggestions lads. Accord or Jetta? If Jetta what should I quote?

many thanks as always

Most Viewed