Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2010, 17:12   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Looking for a sports car (limit: ~1cr on road)

100% self driven/ 40-60 lakh price bracket -
Audi A4 3.0TDI/3.2tfsi
BMW 530D/535i
Jaguar Xf Diesel should come within the 60 lakh OTR bracket am not too sure.
Look no further, they are the best driving machines in this price bracket
Just that the diesels would make a lot more sense than the petrols.

Last edited by PlatzdaTurbo : 16th December 2010 at 17:15.
Old 28th December 2010, 19:16   #62
BHPian

Go in for a carrera S coupe with the gt3 kit. Massive performance! Get a funky color combo too. I'm looking to buy one too. But I need to check what all the hype about the mid engined cayman S. They say it's a great handling car. Need to check it out though.

But always go for a manual gear, pdk is faster, but trust me, I have more fun in a carrera S than a porsche turbo tiptronic.

The rest.. Lambo and Ferrari, out of your budget. Consider a second hand fFrrari too. A used F430 coupe should fit in this budget.
Old 8th August 2012, 00:27   #63
BHPian

Aston or AMG? Coupe or SUV? Dilemma!

It's almost that time of the year again boys! Through the last year, our garage went through many, MANY changes. Cars came and went, as I worked to make the garage compact, but useful at the same time aesthetically pleasing and all out fun!

I'm in the market for a new car, however there is no urgency. I can wait to book the car until Diwali, so there is a lot of time for decisions to be made.

This car will be used either on weekends (if its a sports car) or on my long drives to Pune (if its an SUV), as my current daily driver is a Jag XF, and will remain to be that even after this new car enters the family.

What I'm looking for is something fun and unique, with a considerably large budge. I was looking at the Aston Martin Vantage V8, heard a lot of good and bad things about it, but I still love the way it looks, love the way it drives (I've driven one in London). But at the same time I'm also considering the new Mercedes G63 AMG (not sure when it will be launched here) which replaces the G55 AMG. I've loved these since I was a kid and it just looks absolutely menacing, especially when its all blacked out (see attached pic).

Not particularly looking for any performance sedans, so no C63/E63/M3/M5 or the like. I don't mind performance SUV's, Cayenne Turbo maybe, or the AMG SUV's. I'm really not sure and I need help making up my mind.

So that's about it, I don't know which way to go what to look for. And before anyone suggests the R8 is a big no no for me. I've driven it and the R-Tronic transmission is just pathetic, and neither am I a fan of the manual.

So... Help?

Saarth
Old 8th August 2012, 00:53   #64
Senior - BHPian

Re: Aston or AMG? Coupe or SUV? Dilemma!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saarth View Post
Not particularly looking for any performance sedans, so no C63/E63/M3/M5 or the like. I don't mind performance SUV's, Cayenne Turbo maybe, or the AMG SUV's. I'm really not sure and I need help making up my mind.

So... Help?

Saarth
1.Why not an Range Rover Sport?
2.Cayenne - please don't!
3.You could try talking to the dealers about the G63 AMG (expected time)
4.or try BMW X6 GT (not sure if its available in India)
5.why not a Audi Q7 ? one menacing looking SUV.
6.A Ferrari FF ? This would be one odd man out in our country! I don't think there are any FF's out there in India.

Hey wait, you want only a G63? Check out the G55 before you start your wait for the G63 or invest into some other beauty.

I see you are considering Aston, why not look into Bently? Not interested in Lambo's or even Aston Rapide - one of the best looking sports car (IMHO).

Last edited by AlphaKilo : 8th August 2012 at 00:59.
Old 8th August 2012, 01:04   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKilo View Post
1.Why not an Range Rover Sport?
2.Cayenne - please don't!
3.You could try talking to the dealers about the G63 AMG (expected time)
4.or try BMW X6 GT (not sure if its available in India)
5.why not a Audi Q7 ? one menacing looking SUV.
6.A Ferrari FF ? This would be one odd man out in our country! I don't think there are any FF's out there in India.

I see you are considering Aston, why not look into Bently? Not interested in Lambo's or even Aston Rapide - one of the best looking sports car (IMHO).
I actually own a Range Rover Sport, but I never use or drive it, because its really really boring to drive. No fun at all. I'm not really too fond of the X6 or any of the BMW SUV's to be honest, they ll just look the same.

The Audi Q7 is going to be phased out soon, so I'll reserve my judgement till I see the new one. And the Ferrari FF is 4cr+ on-road lol, not really looking to put down that kind of money. I was thinking of the new Bentley Continental GT to be honest. Not really looking at the Gallardo's, they're not my piece of cake.

And here's the blacked out G55 I was talking about.
Attached Thumbnails
Looking for a sports car (limit: ~1cr on road)-img_7294.jpg  

Last edited by Saarth : 8th August 2012 at 01:06. Reason: Added Pic
Saarth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2012, 04:06   #66
BHPian

The AMG is the perfect wolf in sheep's clothing from the Indian perspective. Plus it will be a lot more usable.
If it were me I'd go for the regular G Wagen over the AMG, mainly because it's all about the drivetrain and what it can do off road. The AMG is like it's supermodel twin that rules the catwalk (Tarmac). Plus can still do a lot off road if the owner wants to. Clothes (skirts) being the limiting factor.
Old 8th August 2012, 13:43   #67
BHPian

I won't be off-loading a lot in it anyway, the most I'll be doing is some of the bad roads around Pune/Khandala. Which is why I'm also considering a sports car, because its not necessary that I take it down these roads.
Old 8th August 2012, 16:27   #68
Team-BHP Support

Saarth from the sports cars you are looking at it seems that you aren't looking for the sharpest, best handling or even fastest car. It seems you want kind of a GT car which is comfortable enough, and yet stylish but something which still doesn't lose out on its sporty intentions.

The G55 I think is now 1.3cr odd ex showroom, which IMO is overpriced. All AMGs were recently hiked quite a bit. The G63 (I thought they were continuing with the G55 along with the 63, though I think you are right) will be even more expensive, but I mean that is one desirable car. Except you won't get the image in that which you do with other cars in that price bracket.

You already have a RR Sport like you said (what else do you have at home right now?) so do you really want another SUV? I'm sure thats good enough for the Pune drives and bad roads around Lonavla. Though I must say the Cayenne Turbo is one brilliant SUV, though I wouldn't really take it on rough roads. Think of it as a practical sports car. Again this would be around 2cr on road. But this is the SUV to go for if not the G55/63.

The X6 just had a facelift, and IMO looks better. The X6M is again something you should consider, though its not an SUV as such. Its bloody quick, and yet would be higher and therefore more practical than any proper sports car.

The Gallardo is due for replacement and personally I don't think it makes sense getting one now.

As for the CGT, its just been facelifted so is fresh and its got style. Its also pretty comfortable and is quick. This is all personal preference, but I don't know if someone young would really want to drive around a Bentley. The Vantage looks hot, but then I've heard the ride is a bit hard for Bombay, take a TD and see for yourself.

Another car worth a look is the M6, which will be cheaper than the others above, pretty comfortable, loaded with features and tech, and fast. It should be 1.6-1.7 which still gives you enough money to buy another SUV like a Cayenne S
Akshay1234 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2012, 16:53   #69
BHPian

I have the same thoughts about the CGT, Akshay. It just makes you think of a guy with silver hair and a beard driving it. The G55/63 like you said is probably the most impractical choice out of most things money can buy.

The garage currently consists of the S500, Range Rover Sport, Jag XF and a 3 series which is on its way out. So I have one spot open and want to use it up with something exciting.

The thing about the M6 is it doesn't really look very aesthetically exciting to me in real life. Hence, I wanted something more exotic looking. I've heard the same about the Vantage as well, but then again which sports car is really suited to Bombay roads? I don't mind considering the new 911, but the problems with that are, its not launched yet, the options list is really expensive for some stuff that you get standard in other cars and the recent dealership trouble with Porsche.

How is the new SL350/500? I would have said SL63, but again its too overpriced, and the only reason the G55 was considered is because the G500 isn't sold in India.

The potential list would be; Vantage, SL350/500, 911 Carrera S, in no particular order.
Old 8th August 2012, 17:03   #70
BHPian

Quote:
It's almost that time of the year again boys! Through the last year, our garage went through many, MANY changes. Cars came and went, as I worked to make the garage compact, but useful at the same time aesthetically pleasing and all out fun!

I'm in the market for a new car, however there is no urgency. I can wait to book the car until Diwali, so there is a lot of time for decisions to be made.

This car will be used either on weekends (if its a sports car) or on my long drives to Pune (if its an SUV), as my current daily driver is a Jag XF, and will remain to be that even after this new car enters the family.

What I'm looking for is something fun and unique, with a considerably large budge. I was looking at the Aston Martin Vantage V8, heard a lot of good and bad things about it, but I still love the way it looks, love the way it drives (I've driven one in London). But at the same time I'm also considering the new Mercedes G63 AMG (not sure when it will be launched here) which replaces the G55 AMG. I've loved these since I was a kid and it just looks absolutely menacing, especially when its all blacked out (see attached pic).

So that's about it, I don't know which way to go what to look for. And before anyone suggests the R8 is a big no no for me. I've driven it and the R-Tronic transmission is just pathetic, and neither am I a fan of the manual.

So... Help?

Saarth
If you are looking for a sports car, I'd say get the Vantage S (Coupé or Roadster). The recently updated one looks killer and nothing else sounds and drives like an Aston in its segment. Maybe not the fastest to the 100 but still...IMO it'd be the perfect super car for Mumbai. If you want a SUV/SAV, get the X6M or the V12 TDi Q7. Both are mind blowing vehicles in their own ways. As Akshay1234 said, I too feel that the G55 AMG is a bit overpriced and I reckon the above 2 mentioned SUVs would be more exclusive than the G.
Old 8th August 2012, 17:10   #71
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I have the same thoughts about the CGT, Akshay. It just makes you think of a guy with silver hair and a beard driving it. The G55/63 like you said is probably the most impractical choice out of most things money can buy.

The garage currently consists of the S500, Range Rover Sport, Jag XF and a 3 series which is on its way out. So I have one spot open and want to use it up with something exciting.

The thing about the M6 is it doesn't really look very aesthetically exciting to me in real life. Hence, I wanted something more exotic looking. I've heard the same about the Vantage as well, but then again which sports car is really suited to Bombay roads? I don't mind considering the new 911, but the problems with that are, its not launched yet, the options list is really expensive for some stuff that you get standard in other cars and the recent dealership trouble with Porsche.

How is the new SL350/500? I would have said SL63, but again its too overpriced, and the only reason the G55 was considered is because the G500 isn't sold in India.

The potential list would be; Vantage, SL350/500, 911 Carrera S, in no particular order.
Well if you do use your Range Rover like an SUV, I mean taking it on road trips, fully packed with people and luggage, maybe some off road then don't consider the Cayenne etc right now. But if you don't really use the RR like above, then why not consider something like a G55/63 when you are upgrading the RR Sport? Fast SUVs are good, but not comparable to driving around a sports car, that is a different fun altogether.

Do you really not like the M6?
Looking for a sports car (limit: ~1cr on road)-bmwm6_convertible_2013_800x600_wallpaper_09.jpg
I mean at that price you get a fast car, a convertible, better than normal supercar ride, BMWs service backup (also BSI), stuff like heads up, B&O, etc. What is missing is the handmade quality feel that the Aston and Bentley will have, but then again those go well above 2cr.

The 911 is a great choice, Porsche has already appointed a new dealer for Bombay and I'm sure the service and waiting period will be much better than the previous one. Do get in touch with them, a Carrera S loaded with some nice options will be a brilliant choice and fast enough for Bombay. Also they say Porsche is the most practical out of Ferrari, Lamborghini etc.

The SL350 would probably be beaten by your S500 in a drag. The SL500 I'm not sure if the new one has been launched here, but going by Mercedes CBU prices I don't think it will be very cheap. Then again if you buy an SL why not go all out and get an AMG
Old 8th August 2012, 18:07   #72
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

As much as I'd advise you to buy the Porsche 911 Carrera S (the new 991 generation will be made available in India very soon), I'd also ask you to take a look at the Jaguar XK-R. The 911 is a proper sports-car and a track-guy's wet-dream. The XK-R would be right up your ball-park because it's comfortable, powerful, supple, rich on the inside (feels like Bentley quality - okay almost), more accommodating and generally, more of a GT car than the 911.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 8th August 2012 at 18:31. Reason: typo
Old 8th August 2012, 18:25   #73
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
As much as I'd advise you to buy the Porsche 911 Carrera S (the new 991 generation will be made available in India very soon), I'd also ask you to take a look at the Jaguar XF-R. The 911 is a proper sports-car and a track-guy's wet-dream. The XF-R would be right up your ball-park because it's comfortable, powerful, supple, rich on the inside (feels like Bentley quality - okay almost), more accommodating and generally, more of a GT car than the 911.
You mean an XKR? He has an XF-S why would be want the same car?

While the XKR is good, I think some variation is necessary, 2 Jags may be a bit too much.
Old 8th August 2012, 18:30   #74
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
You mean an XKR? He has an XF-S why would be want the same car?

While the XKR is good, I think some variation is necessary, 2 Jags may be a bit too much.
My bad, I meant XK-R not XF-R.

Agreed, two Jaguars may not be the smartest idea, but it's certainly worth considering, especially if he is pleased with the after-sales and service.

P.S. other option is a Maserati GranTurismo but that will be expensive. The BMW 650i is definitely worth a look.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 8th August 2012 at 18:33.
Old 9th August 2012, 03:53   #75
VSD
BHPian

Considering you are a GT guy, the new special edition XK-R could be an option for you.

Few other options:

The new Bentley CGT V8. Refreshed looks and will probably looks slightly sportier with the black wheels and the black grill.

Aston Martin Vantage S is a good overall package, and not to mention it sounds just WOW. (tested the car last year in Delhi showroom)

If you want a performance SUV, go for the G55/63. Cayenne is good too but the AMG is a classic.

The M6 is a good car, but i can understand when you say it doesn't look as appealing compared to some other sports cars.

Talking of looks, this strikes to me as a beautiful car. Could be an option as well? Someone on the forum mentioned that bookings are open and deliveries start year end.
Looking for a sports car (limit: ~1cr on road)-018075allnew2013bmw6seriesgrancoupe.2lg.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks