Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2010, 21:02   #16
Team-BHP Support

Just to answer a few of your doubts -

The R8 is well above a crore, infact even one that was being sold second hand was above a crore.

I think you might get the SL350 (personally i would choose a 500 or not buy an sl) within a crore, the SL500 will be over, but not by a lot.

The Jaguar XFR should be pretty close to your budget but the XKR i think is a little more expensive. The XFR is more of a sports saloon and only the enthusiasts will be able to differentiate it from the normal XF inspite of it costing 30 lacs more. You have the same problem with the M3.

BUTTTT, i suggest you get your first choice, the 911 carrera, since nothing else will keep you as happy. Every time you see a carrera you will want one . I dont think the after sales is bad enough to be a deal breaker. Sure more could be desired of it, but im sure you will be able to manage.
Old 10th July 2010, 21:39   #17
Senior - BHPian

To be honest, I would't ignore a great car like a Porsche 911 just because the service is 'a little iffy'.

You have to know how to communicate with them and pull the right strings if and when needed. Thoda daring mangta hai !

Other options are the SLK with V8 engine. (what are they calling it ...the SLK 550?). Audi's awesome TT line and also the sexy A5 coupe.

PS (sst): New 6 series is round the corner.
Old 10th July 2010, 23:16   #18
Senior - BHPian

Hi 7447

Nice to have you posting on the forum. Just went through your whole read and the options recommended by the boys out here. I'm sure it would make your purchase easier. Apart from wanting to own a sportscar another question to you would be : Do you want to it be a head turner or a wolf in sheep's clothing? Anyways here is my my two cents on the options you could consider considering your budget:

Mercedes Benz

C63 AMG : Monster of a car and upto and extent looks the part. Ferociously fast and the exhaust note is to die for. Plus you can seat 4 and Mercedes service is good too.

SLK55 AMG: Compact and fast. Mercedes service again. AMG killer exhaust notes.

BMW

M3: May look like a 3 Series but this car means business. Awesome car to drive and what handler 400 horses V8 and practical too.

Jaguar

XFR: Superb car and at a fantastic price 95 lakhs on road Mumbai last when I heard. 500 bhp for under a crore. Pretty good ride as well considering it rides on 20 inchers. Service is a question though. My friend owns an XFR and though he says its a brilliant car he was not to happy with the service.

Porsche

911 Carrera: Enough said. The practical Supercar . Likes the others said dont let the service be a deal breaker for this one. This would be the car to buy.

Audi

R8: It goes for 1.17 cr on road so you might have to stretch a bit. A definite head turner as far as looks go. New dealer in Mumbai has come up. Cant say much about the service yet.

Pre owned options:

911 Turbo - You can get one well under a crore of rupees. And that too cars which have hardly done anything on the odo.

M5 or M6 - You can get one for much less than 75 lakhs.

SL55 AMG - Can get one for prices lesser than the BMW Ms

Though I understand that you are more interested in buying a brand new car, do consider the pre owned option as well since these cars depreciate like stink and used one might be the way to go as well.

If you need anything else feel free to ask

Good luck
Old 11th July 2010, 20:31   #19

Thanks for all the responses guys - lots to process through. In response to Dippy, looking for a bit of a headturner not too much of a sheep in wolf clothing. Having said that, consensus seems to imply that the M3 is worth looking into in more detail as is the potential for a facelift of the 6 series and 911 should not be written off by any means. Would really appreciate input from any Porsche owners on their experience dealing with Porsche so far.

Really appreciate the help guys, please keep sending along any responses and suggestions you may have. Will keep you guys posted through this process in case that is of interest. It seems like pictures are a worthy currency so will promise to post those, although this is several months in the future. Also will update on any showroom visits or test drives.

Cheers,
Old 11th July 2010, 22:56   #20
Senior - BHPian

Feminine or whatever people call it, get an SLK55 in the right colour with a good set of AMG rims, and you're sorted on performance as well as presence. Feminine it might seem in countries where supercars are spotted dime-a-dozen (whatever we say, I doubt we can claim to have reached that stage).
Old 11th July 2010, 23:11   #21
Senior - BHPian

PORSCHE - Their BOXTER model retails for some 40 lakh, you would have so much money to spare
Old 12th July 2010, 02:29   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspur View Post
Feminine or whatever people call it, get an SLK55 in the right colour with a good set of AMG rims, and you're sorted on performance as well as presence. Feminine it might seem in countries where supercars are spotted dime-a-dozen (whatever we say, I doubt we can claim to have reached that stage).
The SLK55 is hardly feminine, the SLK200 etc are chick cars. If the 55 is in his budget (which i doubt it is) he should have a good look at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
PORSCHE - Their BOXTER model retails for some 40 lakh, you would have so much money to spare
Why would someone buy a boxster when you can afford a carrera? Oh and where can you get a boxster for 40l? More like 55l+

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 12th July 2010 at 02:30.
Old 12th July 2010, 09:13   #23
Team-BHP Support

You need to look at it this way.

Well built cars like the Porsche, Merc, BMW which do not require anything beyond regular maintenance - even if the dealer is a little below par, the reliability of the car offsets this.

Cars that demand maintenance and have a high liklihood of niggles - like Lambo's, Ferrari's - you need a good dealer or else.....
Old 12th July 2010, 22:22   #24
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Nothing but a Porsche will do for you. Seriously. Don't let the after-sales bother you. Yes, it isn't the best, but a consultant (and petrolhead) from the dealership is a BHPian (doctorque). I'm sure he'll help you out and ensure an A+ experience. After all, you are spending a crore!

Within new cars, I wouldn't consider any other brand. While a Carrera is within your budget, considering your age, a Cayman S is more suited. It's t-i-g-h-t, a very neutral handler and is sold with a 6 speed manual . 0 - 100 = 5.2 seconds. A brilliant car to "learn" exotic driving on. Save the more mature Porsches for when you.....well....grow up.

However, go down the pre-worshipped (i.e. pre-owned) alley and the choice widens:

- 911 Turbo
- Range of Ferraris
- Potentially, a Lamborghini Gallardo?

I also suggest checking out some reliable grey market importers. A Nissan GT-R could be yours for well within that budget. It doesn't have the brand, yet boy-o-boy, can that car sprint.
Old 13th July 2010, 11:41   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

First choice: Carrera

Second choice: M3 (most practical for your needs, get a flashy color so that it doesn't look like a sheep)

Third choice: XFR
Old 13th July 2010, 15:48   #26
BHPian

Porsche Cayman if you prefer a more practical hard top (compared to Boxster).

Nissan 370Z if you are willing to look at a 'softer' option.
Old 13th July 2010, 16:23   #27
BANNED

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 13th July 2010 at 18:51.
Old 13th July 2010, 16:26   #28
BHPian

Why isn't the Nissan GT-R being considered here? Given that Nissan have now started retail sales of their cars in India, after sales shouldn't be much of a hassle. Does it cost over a crore to import the GT-R into India?

Else, I'd recommend an M3 or the Porsche.

PS - A bright yellow M3, while we are at it.
Old 13th July 2010, 18:21   #29
Senior - BHPian

One of our members purchased a yellow Cayman. Check with him for car/dealer review. IIRC he even lives in a smaller city with no dealer.
Old 14th July 2010, 07:01   #30

Hey team,

Continue to appreciate the input guys - I'm definitely sorting through all of your opinions. Fortunately I have a good amount of time on my hands. GTO, definitely respect your point on the Carrera vs. Cayman S regarding the age factor - something to be considered. Would be interested in hearing more from Doctorque as well.

Mpower - I have been in contact with our in-house Cayman S owner. He has been very gracious in terms of his advice and suggestions.

Sahil - appreciate the point on the color choice having a real impact on the M3. I've started to consider this option more seriously as most members seem to be suggesting this.

Not writing off the E-coupe, read the review on our forum and was relatively impressed Caveat - is probably incomparable to some of the cars we are discussing here in terms of drive and the overall appeal. Would like to hear thoughts on this one? ie. Would any of you think its a good idea to go for something like this and then transition to a Porsche a year or two out when the dealer/franchise situation is better? I would admit that if I do not get a Porsche on this round, it is the destination 2-3 yrs (max) out, the timeline may differ based on what I land up with within the next year. Agreed depreciation on the first purchase will be a bummer in this case but pursuing a dream > depreciation.

As a side note, I think posting on the forum has been absolutely invaluable. I look forward to participate more actively with all of you here and tremendously appreciate your willingness to share your thoughts.

Cheers,

Most Viewed