Team-BHP - Looking for a sports car (limit: ~1cr on road)
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Luxury, Imports & Niche (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/luxury-imports-niche/)
-   -   Looking for a sports car (limit: ~1cr on road) (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/luxury-imports-niche/85257-looking-sports-car-limit-1cr-road.html)

Quick intro: Although I have not been an active participant on this site, I have been following some of the forums with much interest for a while. The depth of the knowledge pool on this site compelled me to make this post so that I can make an educated decision regarding my upcoming purchase. I also look forward to interact with other members going forward and build some great relationships. I have exchanged messages with a few of you one-on-one and have greatly appreciated the input. I welcome feedback on my query from anyone interested to post.

To the main point: I am looking to acquire a sports car with an on-road price limit of roughly 1 cr (some flexibility here) in Mumbai. I am looking to make this purchase in roughly 8 - 10 months but have started some preliminary research predominantly out of excitement but also to make a well informed decision with input from several people.

My two main criteria are:

1. Great after-sales service and maintenance back up from the dealer

2. Little/ No compromise on "sportiness" and drive; suiting a mid-20s male.

Adding context to my criteria:

When I initially decided to acquire a car in this segment there was no doubt in my mind on what I wanted - a cream Porsche 911 Carrera with red interiors. After speaking with a few informed colleagues I realized that the after-sales service/ experience is a little more than just off the mark. (Please feel free to confirm or deny, happy to hear opinions)

I realized that this will (hopefully) not be my last car purchase and I could potentially wait for Porsche to get its act/ dealerships in order in India before getting the Carrera. This unfortunately put me in a position where I would have to start from scratch in terms of making a decision. This experience was helpful in that I realized that I don't want to be stuck with something that spends a significant % of time in the garage waiting for parts or simply because it cannot survive Indian conditions. ie. Usability should be relatively high (not daily though) and in case of minor issues (like broken lights/ minor parts damaged or scratches), service/ repair turnaround time should be relatively quick.

On my second point, I am looking for a sports car that is suitable for someone in their mid-20s (male) and am not really looking to compromise for cars from other segments which fit the price range.

My current (limited) understanding of my options and my opinions:
Please debate any of these points as my knowledge and understanding is very limited and your opinions on these will be tremendously helpful. Also do feel free to suggest other cars which maybe better matches considering my preferences and rough and to some degree flexible price range:

1. Mercedes E coupe -
like: Merc after sales service/ franchise stregth seems unparraleled; E coupe looks great, haven't driven it so can't say much on that front (would be great to here more about this); also like that I would have two (albeit tiny) back seats
dislike: (possibly very unjustified) have been relatively unappreciative of the Merc badge because of the number of Merc sedans you see in Mumbai. I would appreciate a bit more novelty/ uniqueness (This perhaps is in direct conflict with after sales / franchise being so strong)

2. Mercedes SLK - (besides the basic merc points I highlighted above)
like: roadster element, uncompromisingly sporty
dislike: somehow I have this random impression of it being slightly feminine and also a bit too much on the compact side

3. BMW Z4 -
like: exterior look; again, uncompromisingly sporty
dislike: run-flats/ ride quality, wasn't blown away by interiors

4. BMW 6 series -
like - almost everything
dislike - the look hasn't changed in a while, I have nightmares of facelifts soon after I acquire it; also not sat in one so have no idea on ride quality/ drive.

5. Audis - haven't heard great things about the dealership/ after-sales experience.

Before my indecisiveness kills me, please help. As of this post I am most inclined toward the E coupe but haven't driven it yet so flying blind. Also, apologies for the 100,000 word essay.

Regards,

Hi 7447,

Nice to see your first post on Team BHP, that too a mighty one :)

Before anything else I would like to ask if you are interested in used supercars?
Usually used supercars have high depreciation but have hardly done more than 5k kms (average) and are in showroom condition.

More to follow!

If you are looking at the used sportscars, then you may get a Ferrari or a Lambo in pristine condition. Other options include Bentley Continental GT and Audi R8. Infact there was a R8 in the second hand market few weeks ago and the pics were posted in Team-BHP also. Being in Mumbai, you won't face any serious service issues too. But if you intend to get a showroom fresh car, then the BMW 650i is just perfect. You get an option for the convertible too and it has 4 seats, though the rear seats are not so usable.

Nice post, but my opinion for the E-class coupe is that it is meant for an a person in their mid-50s.

The 6 series is due for a facelift in the next few months i think. So that might be a good option to wait for.

The SLK? Well personally i find it to be a bit of a chick car, and it is considered the same abroad. Why not the SL?

If the purchase is going to be after 8-10 months, then get the new M5. Usability on Mumbai roads (:Frustrati) is quite high.. After sales isnt an issue.

I'd recommend the M3, but that's gonna be facelifted soon.. so is the 650i. If you wanna go for these then you should probably wait for some more time.

Get a Jaguar XKR. Mumbai has a dealership right? So *** should not be a hassle.
Cant you get an AMG for that amount? (Dont kill me I dont know how much the AMG's retail for)

Did you ever consider the BMW M3? I think its the best sports car at this side of 1cr. Merc C63 AMG, SLK 55 AMG also falls in this price range but I think its the M3 that wins. Jaguar XKR is a good option but not sure about its service.

as the other member "//M" suggested, its a good idea to look at used supercars..you will get to own a car thats worth twice your budget and for all you know you might even be able to get it on the southern side of 1Cr rupees if your lucky!! But again if you only want a new car I'd suggest you take a good look at the Porsche offerings. I do not know why or where you got the impression that Porsche Service is not upto scratch. There are quite a few Porsche owners around here. You might wanna ask them. Goodluck with you purchase!

Cheers,
Prashanth

Jag XFR or XKR. Either of those will kill almost all the cars in the list. If you must have a BMW, get the M3. Its within your budget.

Oh I forgot the Nissan 370z, the Audi TT, the Nissan GTR and the Evo X. They are surely worth a look and about cheaper too.

I think you should go in for the BMW M3 or M6. The Jaguar XJR is also a good choice in the price range. The M3 meets almost all your requirements.

Man, you've got a cracker of a thread title, and then reading further you're a 20-something young male with a requirement for "no compromise on sportiness and drive".... but then the list is.... :ZZZ:
Pardon my frankness. :)

Why no M3 ?
Why no Jaguars ending with the letter "R" ?
I'm sure there are other worthy contenders too (especially 8-10 months down the line).

I can see how A.S.S can be a big concern, especially when you're putting down so much money -- but are you willing to sacrifice certain choices just because you want a 9/10 A.S.S experience and not a 7/10 ?
Hopefully if all goes right you shouldn't have to test the A.S.S much, and we're talking about "attainable" cars here, not some Ferrari that needs a technician flown down once a year.

Anyway, from your current list, my pick would be the Z4. We have a few ownership reports on the forum, check em out :

SSP's report

suvm's goa travelogue

Quote:

Originally Posted by 7447 (Post 1975538)
1. Mercedes E coupe -
like: Merc after sales service/ franchise stregth seems unparraleled; E coupe looks great, haven't driven it so can't say much on that front (would be great to here more about this)

Check out our very extensive review of the E350 Coupe : LINK

As someone else said, "mid-50 year olds car", well, yea - more like late 30s, but you get the point.

And since we're opening up possibilities here, why not take a look at KBK_75's M3 ownership thread

It's gonna be a fun 8-10 months! lol

cya
R

IMO M3 is the most sensible choice, if you want to go berserk get the C63 :D

Yes I almost forgot the M3. Its certainly the one of the most practical supercars available in India. It looks aggressive and can be used everyday. BMW service is also good. If you want flair, then get the M3 convertible. Looks awesome.

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the responses. Few replies:

@goingout & @//M: Thanks for the warm welcome. Not quite interested in something pre-owned. Looking forward to hear more though

@//M: Any idea what a new R-8 costs on road?

@akshay1234: I agree directionally with the assessment on the SLK/E-coupe- I think I was getting pushed into the Merc category because of excessive concern about service issues elsewhere but it appears I need to be more rational if I want to satisfy the "sportiness". I thought SLs were well above 1 cr, please prove me wrong if it is the case.

@Anand123: I'm currently in NYC but a colleague checked out the M3 on my behalf at the Mumbai showroom. My concern here is that the look could be mistaken for a 3 series (before anyone kills me, I'm thinking of someone like my mother who may not know one from another, pardon her ignorance. I'm sure there are more who wouldn't). I understand that an M3 would eat a 3 series for breakfast. Looking for something which looks distinctly different from sedan counterparts (in case any).

@prashant_benz: would definitely want to hear more from buyers who have had good and bad experiences. The 911 has always been my first option and I would potentially migrate back here if my concern is baseless.

@akshaymahajan: not too keen on the Nissan badge. May consider checking out the Jags because so many posts here about it - somehow hasn't historically appealed to me.

@Yusha: see my blasphemous comment on the M3 above. I believe the M6 is well above 1cr. Thanks for the input.

@Rehaan: haha, appreciate the frankness. I have added some more color above on why's and why not's which may show you why you got drowsy with the list. Would be willing to go to a 7 from a 9/10 in terms of service etc. The Z4 ride quality is something I'm quite concerned about that's why have migrated away a bit. Blasphemy on M3 above. Don't know much about the Jags at all - any interesting posts to check out? If you were in my place what would the list look like?

P.S.- Thanks for making the E-coupe a "30-something" in case I do end up with it I won't feel as pathetic now. Hopefully will find a "20-something" though.

Again, thanks for all the responses, looking forward to hearing more.

Regards,