Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2012, 12:27   #106
BHPian

Re: Superb VS Passat which is better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
@ ac-cobra

For your requirements I would definitely suggest a Superb Tsi over the Passat TL. The Passat TL is too stripped for the price it is being offered at and is highly highly over-priced - no xenons, no parking sensors, no touch screen audio, no retractable ORVMs, no sun-roof, etc. Also why is ESP that big a deal breaker for you when 90% of the times your are going to be driven around within city limits. The ESP will only help at higher highway speeds and that too when the car loses control or when it is being driven by a lunatic. There are far too many pros than cons for the Superb.

You could also consider the Jetta TSi/ TDi once again since it has almost identical rear legroom to the Passat and has fantastic driving dynamics for the 30% of the time you would be driving.

Just curious as to why did you not consider the Accord/ Sonata/ Teanna/ Camry as you don't mind buying a petrol sedan.
Thanks for the reply S2!

Yes, the Superb will definitely be a more enjoyable car to live with compared to the Passat TL. My biggest concern with the Superb is the resale value after 3-4 years, especially when the model is phased out. The older version of the Superb goes for peanuts now. I am sure that the Passat will retain its value a bit better than the Superb.

The lack of ESP on the Superb Ambition is not really a deal breaker, but its always going to be at the back of my mind considering that ESP has saved a lot of lives. Bit disappointed that Skoda skipped it on the Ambition models.

Not interested in the Jetta as it has an uncomfortable backseat ride and the AC is not upto the mark. My Dad has a Jetta TDi and it doesn't work well as a rear seat car, though it has exceptional rear legroom. Its also slightly high priced IMHO with the Comfortline at 19.5L OTR. Its a great driver's car and would be perfect if I was spending most of my time in the driver's seat.

I'm only in my early 30s and do like driving, so not really crazy about the Camry, Accord or Teana. Maybe when I'm 40...

Could have considered the Accord but the new version should be out in a year or so, but cant wait till then.
Old 21st September 2012, 22:10   #107
Senior - BHPian

Considering only diesel versions, which would be a better car among Superb and Passat?

The driving is going to be mostly on highways (60-70%). Running will be reasonably high (out of presently owned cars, one has done about 55K in ~26 months and the other has done close to 44K in about 19 months). The car will be self-driven.

I know the Passat has a more powerful engine. Feature-wise, there seems to be nothing much to separate them (comparing top-end versions). Service-wise, again, not much to separate them I guess, but there is an existing relationship with Skoda dealership (one of the cars presently owned is a Fabia). However, the Superb is the older model although it has recently got some feature updates. How long is it going to be before Superb is replaced?

Only new cars are being considered, so used luxury germans (or used anything) are out of the question.
Old 28th September 2012, 10:37   #108
BHPian

StarrySky, I was also considering both of these cars. What I found in the test drives etc(Passat Highline DSG and Skoda Elegance Diesel) was that the Passat's interior feel and finish and featues was definitely a grade above the Superb's. The drive was also definitely better. However,as far as rear space goes, I doubt a single car under 70 odd lakhs can beat the Superb. If you can fork out the extra 2-3 lakhs for the Passat, go for that considering its going to be self driven. Overall, regardless of which of these cars you pick, you cant go wrong. They are both fantastic cars. The superb recently got the keyless entry etc added. Considering that its still ruling the segment and that the Camry offers nothing additional, its unlikely to see a change before next year.
apurva512 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2012, 15:16   #109

As per me Skoda Superb is a highly unreliable car and should be avoided if possible. I myself have owned a 1.8TSI for the last 2.5 years. In this timeframe, the transmission has broken down twice, the air conditioner stopped cooling and started throwing out hot air and so on. This car has spent more time in the garage in 2.5 years than all my other 3 cars put together.

So while Skoda superb seems like an attractive buy due to all the gadgets and space for a relatively low sticker price, you must understand that it's like a Chinese toy that looks very attractive in the shop but very likely to break down as soon as you get home. Some more facts: my superb has only done 25000 km but needs a suspension overhaul versus my 5 year old Honda accord with 50000 km on the odo, which still rides like a beauty. I bought the Skoda for around 20 Lakhs on road 2.5 years back but today I am getting quotes of 7.5 Lakhs when I go to sell it. I am more likely to get more for my 5 year old accord

Regarding the Passat, don't have much experience with the VW brand but given that it is Skoda's sister brand, I am skeptical about the build quality and reliability.
Old 2nd October 2012, 09:25   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparton View Post
As per me Skoda Superb is a highly unreliable car and should be avoided if possible. I myself have owned a 1.8TSI for the last 2.5 years. In this timeframe, the transmission has broken down twice, the air conditioner stopped cooling and started throwing out hot air and so on. This car has spent more time in the garage in 2.5 years than all my other 3 cars put together.

So while Skoda superb seems like an attractive buy due to all the gadgets and space for a relatively low sticker price, you must understand that it's like a Chinese toy that looks very attractive in the shop but very likely to break down as soon as you get home. Some more facts: my superb has only done 25000 km but needs a suspension overhaul versus my 5 year old Honda accord with 50000 km on the odo, which still rides like a beauty. I bought the Skoda for around 20 Lakhs on road 2.5 years back but today I am getting quotes of 7.5 Lakhs when I go to sell it. I am more likely to get more for my 5 year old accord

Regarding the Passat, don't have much experience with the VW brand but given that it is Skoda's sister brand, I am skeptical about the build quality and reliability.
Well, thats sad to hear about your experience given that at its pricepoint the Superb is the only car that appeals to me. I've heard mixed opinions about the Superb. There are the well known Skoda horror stories on one hand, and on the other hand, I have friends who have been very happy with their Superbs. My conclusion has been that if you avoid the AT and stick to the MTs, you should be OK, I might be wrong though.

In my case, its a matchup between the Passat Trendline Diesel and the Superb Petrol MT Elegance. None of the other cars in the 20-23L bracket seem to excite me at all.
Old 15th October 2012, 18:11   #111
BHPian

Hi actually i faced a similar situation to decide between the Passat and the Superb, only in my case i was looking at a used car. I looked at both pertol and diesel options in superb as well as passat and finally settled for a August 2011 Passat (old shape) 1.8 Tsi on account of the following.
1. Better brand image
2. Horrific resale for the Petrol Superb. An October 2010 Superb 1.8 MT having done 23K is available for RS. 10.75 lakhs. I have seen the car and the same is in scratchless condition. Comparatively a Passat even in the older shape gets a higher value.
3. Heard too many horror stories about the SKODA` service.
4. The Passat`s interior just felt better. Loved the sporty seats.
5. The superb is due for a change of shape early next year. The resale prices are expected to plunge further. The Passat has recently urdegone a shape change and will stay for a nother couple of years at least.

DISCLAIMER: All the above are just my personal views and others hmay have a totally different view.

Also my two cents would be..In case you a re looking for a Petrol Superb, do have a look at the used cars. You are likely to find a great bargain.

Cheers
Old 16th October 2012, 20:45   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by punitkakri View Post
Hi actually i faced a similar situation to decide between the Passat and the Superb, only in my case i was looking at a used car.
======
Also my two cents would be..In case you a re looking for a Petrol Superb, do have a look at the used cars. You are likely to find a great bargain.

Cheers
^ agree with all your points. Wish the Superb had better resale. However, the 1.8MT Ambition model now starts at 16.99 ex-showroom, and that's an unbeatable offer. I'm going to wait it out till the end of the year to see if there are any more discounts and then decide between the Passat and Superb. The Passat Trendline (max what my budget allows) is great, but doesn't excite like the Superb. Would only consider a lightly used Superb (<8-10K kms) if I knew the seller personally.

Isn't the Superb refresh expected more towards the end of 2013?
Old 16th October 2012, 21:13   #113
BHPian

Well I think to some extent it also depends on how you take care of your car. Within two months of me selling my Superb 2.0 TDI PD, the new owner reported following.

1. All the lights both front and rear conked off. Since OEM replacement was expensive, he has settled for some chinese xenons for the front.
2. There was an issue with front suspension and the whole car shook badly above 50 kmph. Several front suspension parts were replaced.
3. The AC has given up completely. Blows hot air.

I guess there might be more, but probably he was too embarassed to share it. Only relevant thing he mentioned was that he had given the car for service and there was no one from his side to look after how the "service" was being done. All problems started happening after that. Anyway he is planning to get rid of this Superb and get himself a Fortuner.

So my point is - with skoda you have to be extra vigilant on how your car is being used and serviced to save you some headache.
Old 17th October 2012, 15:22   #114
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by punitkakri View Post
An October 2010 Superb 1.8 MT having done 23K is available for RS. 10.75 lakhs. I have seen the car and the same is in scratchless condition.
Hey can is this a silver coloured car? Somewhere in Andheri if I'm not wrong? The asking price was 12.5? Also how is the condition?
Old 17th October 2012, 15:53   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Hey can is this a silver coloured car? Somewhere in Andheri if I'm not wrong? The asking price was 12.5? Also how is the condition?
HI this is a silver coloured CAR. However it is located in Bandra with an asking price of RS. 12.50 lakhs. Car is in really good condition. Havent driven it though.

Cheers
Old 2nd November 2012, 10:45   #116
BHPian

Guys, have more or less decided that I want a Superb. Its just a question of when to pull the trigger!

However, have a dilemma choosing between the Ambition and Elegance models (both Petrol MT). The Ambition actually skips on loads of features (sunroof, xenons, bluetooth, cruise control, steering mounted controls, EDL, ESP, headlight washers, CD changer, etc, etc).

I can live without most of those features, except ESP which I think is a life saver. Now the price difference between the two versions is 2.5L after current discounts. What do you all think? Is ESP something that you would consider paying the extra money for?

Thanks in advance!
Old 2nd November 2012, 11:36   #117
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac-cobra View Post
Guys, have more or less decided that I want a Superb. Its just a question of when to pull the trigger!

However, have a dilemma choosing between the Ambition and Elegance models (both Petrol MT). The Ambition actually skips on loads of features (sunroof, xenons, bluetooth, cruise control, steering mounted controls, EDL, ESP, headlight washers, CD changer, etc, etc).

I can live without most of those features, except ESP which I think is a life saver. Now the price difference between the two versions is 2.5L after current discounts. What do you all think? Is ESP something that you would consider paying the extra money for?

Thanks in advance!
The ambition is really kind of bare boned. For 2.5l more you are getting much, much more. Honestly its worth it, even if you think at it just from the ESP viewpoint. You will end up enjoying the rest of the features too.
Old 2nd November 2012, 13:07   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks in advance!
Talk to the dealer and see if they will offer an ambition variant with ESP as an extra. Would believe skoda might well consider this given the sales numbers they are seeing these days.

If so, be prepared to wait as it would effectively need to he custom built for you. I hope they don't try to do a dealer fit. Factory fit needed for things like this.

If not, I guess you have no choice but to spring for the elegance considering you want the ESP.
Old 2nd November 2012, 14:13   #119
BHPian

I asked about adding on ESP to an Ambition model, the dealers say it is not possible.
Old 2nd November 2012, 17:53   #120
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I asked about adding on ESP to an Ambition model, the dealers say it is not possible.
You cannont integrate add on safety features to the base model. For 2.5 lakhs more you are getting a host of safety features.Go for the top end model. Trust me the features you get are indeed very valuable ,especially ESP! Please dont compromise safety when you are spending so much.Afterall 2.5L on a safety features is far far better than 2.5L Hospital bill!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks