Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2005, 01:40   #1
BHPian

brand new damaged accord 3 lakhs less!!!

hi, my friend is planning to buy a brand new black accord basic model with ex show room of 15.04 lakhs that got damaged during transit to the showroom. they are now disposing it off for 12lakhs without warranty. Is it worth taking the risk?

i saw a few snaps and apprently it looks like damage is to the front left door and a small dent in the roof. they have completely refurbished and car now looks brand new. buy my friend is little bit apprehensive about the purchase.

i would like to have expert opinion of the fellow members. he fears
there could be some unseen structural damage to the body/engine. however the dealer has allayed his fears saying, the engine monitoring system says everything is fine.

on the same note, other batch of nhc that came with this load has already been sold off for a whopping 4.5 to 5l.

help please.
Old 25th November 2005, 02:00   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hmm, usually a car without warranty isn't recomended but look at it this way.....it's 3 lakhs cheaper, the engine is fine and it's a Honda.

Even if something does go wrong, i doubt you'l have to pay more than 50-70K to get it replaced (unless the car encounters serious damage).

If we were looking out for one, we'd pick it up for sure.

My neighbour picked up a damaged City 1.5 for 1.5 lakhs (ex showroom). You maynot expect such a vehicle to last more than a year but no, it's completed 5 years now and runs like a charm.

Shan2nu
Old 25th November 2005, 02:12   #3
BHPian

thanxs...

hi shan2u, even we have convinced ourselves with the same mathemetics..any i just wanted to ensure if we have missed out on something important that you guys would come up with.

thanks for you reply.
Old 25th November 2005, 09:18   #4
Team-BHP Support

Is the car being sold by Honda or its dealer...or someone else ?

Judging by the damage you mention, the damage is repairable and the warranty should not be affected if from a Honda source. I smell a rat here
Old 25th November 2005, 09:37   #5
BHPian

If you are ready to shell out 12L. why not 15L for brand new with warranty ?
The point is why you would ever want to drive the car where you not confident about the damage.
If you still feel you should go for this, then i would suggest to bargain the warranty with this, else NO. (EMS never analysis structural damage)
Old 25th November 2005, 09:48   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Why is the warranty being cancelled for body damage? Sounds extremely fishy to me.

Bargain hard and get your warranty. If there was no structural damage and you do get a warranty, its a steal.

GTO
Old 25th November 2005, 10:42   #7
Senior - BHPian

Get the Warranty or dump the Car. Period.
Old 25th November 2005, 11:09   #8
BANNED

Like our good friends Ajmat, GTO and Nitrous (notice their previous posts, they all make sense most of the time, if not always) say... Why are they cancelling the warranty if the monitoring systems say all is good as per their claim? Personally, I wouldn't go in for this deal.

Last edited by MrBoombastic : 25th November 2005 at 11:10.
Old 25th November 2005, 11:20   #9
Senior - BHPian

yeah lotsa cars get damaged in transit. The dealers do repaint parts or in worse cases - replace some pieces. This is common since most vehicles are transported by road. All these are sold with warranties! Sounds v v fishy, really.
TOH, if its going for < 10 ....
(even so get it thoroughly checked out by someone who knows)

Last edited by zenx : 25th November 2005 at 11:21. Reason: on the other hand :)
Old 25th November 2005, 11:26   #10
BANNED

Did the dealer give a reason for cancelling the warranty? It doesn't sound right to me.
Old 25th November 2005, 11:38   #11
BANNED

where is the car dude
i want to buy it rightaway
Old 25th November 2005, 11:43   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
Why is the warranty being cancelled for body damage? Sounds extremely fishy to me.

GTO
agree completely

If the guy can afford a 15 lakh car, why do something which he might regret later....take the car only if warranty is there else get a new one.
Old 25th November 2005, 14:17   #13
BHPian

Lambo and I were discussing the same thing the other day when he mentioned that I could probably get a brand new bit damaged Lancer for a lot less. The question I have to ask here is, how does one go about finding such a deal? He gave me the number of the head of Mitsubishi sales or something, but I haven't called up yet. I kinda find it funny to call up a guy at his post and ask for a damaged car for less price!

So how do I go about finding such a deal?

Quote:
My neighbour picked up a damaged City 1.5 for 1.5 lakhs (ex showroom). You maynot expect such a vehicle to last more than a year but no, it's completed 5 years now and runs like a charm.
This is why I'm totally revved up for this kind of a deal

- Aalaap
www.aalaap.com
Old 25th November 2005, 14:27   #14
BHPian

warranty

I feel policy of not extending warranty to such damaged cars could be from honda. as we have seen in many cases, companies in order to maintain their reputation of their product may not be willing to sell damaged good unless they are 100% ok. that too the case we are discussing is a premium product, so i feel it is not necessary that discount given should commensurate with the extent of damage.

correct me if i am wrong.
Old 25th November 2005, 15:21   #15
BHPian

Hi Guys

I happen to know a lot of guys at the honda dealership here and they say that the warranty part is controlled by Honda. What is worrying is, Honda does not authorise it's dealers to sell damaged cars even if they are refurbished... so check it out with the dealer.

that said, I have to agree that the price is attractive. My Dad got himself a Peugeot 309 GLD for 3 Lacs a year after production was discontinued (without warranty, whatsoever) and it is still in good shape. I would say, go for it....

Most Viewed