Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2010, 19:07   #1
BHPian

Vorsprung durch technik or Sheer driving pleasure?

Hey Chaps,

I have been lurking around the forum for quite some time and have gathered a wealth of information from the members. I had PM'ed a member earlier to clarify a few doubts, but I have never contributed to the forum till date; as a matter of fact this is my first official post. Alright, enough rambling, let me get to the point.

I have always had a penchant for BMW's but stayed away from purchasing a vehicle due to the bangled up designs (I cannot emphasize how much I despise the designs churned out by Bangle! I still love the timeless design of the E46, E39, E38 and the likes. Some may call the designs boring, but I was ecstatic to see the F10 as I just could not stand the old 5 even though it is a brilliant machine. Did I mention that I don't like Bangle's designs? LOL

P.S. Just my POV, so don't hold it against me :-)

My initial plan was to purchase an F10 - 530d to be precise, but I wanted more from the car. ie. Reversing camera, rear a/c controls, spare wheel, night vision, heads up display etc. Since these features were not available on the 530d, I did not see the point in forking out so much cash for what I essentially get in either the A4/3 - I am a bachelor and I do not have any passengers to shuttle around; just the car and I.

So I started looking at the Audi A4; some say that Audi's design is too clinical, lack emotion blah blah, but the design language appealed a great deal to me. The first contender was the 2010 Audi A4 2.0 TFSI with WCI. I stayed away from the diesel cause I felt that it was underpowered; after driving the vRS I wanted something that excited me a little bit more. Test drove the vehicle and loved the subtle engine snarl when you floor the throttle - especially in 'S', however the vehicle managed to scrape every single speed breaker during the test drive so I started having second thoughts. I could imagine my heart skipping a beat every time I went over a bump (especially in Bangalore). Moreover the car only came with MMI Basic which was a downer. It's saving grace was its looks - can it get any hotter? Love the DRL's! You just feel like staring at it 24/7/365.

The idea of purchasing a C class was never on the cards since I found the interiors to be bare bone. I am a techie and love my gadgets, so the idea of owing a C never took off. I needed something to keep my fingers busy (I love pushing buttons) and somehow I always felt that the Merc was meant for the older generation; again, just my POV.

As an alternative, I checked out the 2010 320d Highline. Even though I was not smitten by the design, the facelift certainly earned it points in my book. It was not a head turner like the A4, but she certainly drove well. The steering however was on the heavy side and nowhere as smooth as the A4's steering setup. I am not going to be racing the vehicle all the time and hence do not need the stupendous feedback the 3 offers. I prefer Audi's servotronic unit as it make day to day life easier - parking, maneuvering in slow traffic etc etc.

As there are numerous members on the forum who own either an A4 or a 3 Series, I would appreciate it if you could answer the following queries (well, or anyone else for that matter who can help answer the following). Among other things, I am trying to gauge whether the rates given by the dealer are just or completely off the mark.

-- AUDI A4 2.0 TFSI with WCI --
* Best price for the vehicle
* Best insurance rate
* Best rate for Audi Secure
* Average servicing cost and interval period

-- BMW 320d Highline --
* Best price for the vehicle
* Best insurance rate
* Best rate for BMW Secure
* Best rate for BSI 5YR/100K
* Average servicing cost and interval period

* What is the cost of registering either of the above mentioned vehicles in Pondicherry? I have no intention of forking out 19% for road tax in Bangalore.

* Mod options available for the two cars to squeeze out some more power.

Last but certainly not the least - if there are any offers on either of the vehicles that you guys know about, please let me know. I wouldn't mind a sparingly used A4 3.0 TDI or 3.2 FSI either, but haven't had any luck locating either.

Cheers,

__c_y_p_h_e_r__
Old 5th October 2010, 20:55   #2
Team-BHP Support

If you can afford an F10 530d then why not just look at a new A4 3.2fsi/3.0tdi (no offense meant here)? The wait might be long, but if you get in touch with Audi they might have some stock. These will be fully loaded, and dont get me started on the engines. None of the 3 series, or the C's come close to the 3 litre A4s.

The 3 series is due for replacement next year, so take that into consideration. Also if by chance you change your status from a bachelor then you might find the 3 series a little small. Also the Audi is considered the all rounder, with good comfort and driving pleasure.

Well for the 320d you can get chiptuning/remap which would make it in the range of 200bhp. If you get the 2.0t a remap would make it around 230-240bhp. Of course if its the 3.0tdi then you would be looking at 270-280bhp (at least).

If you find the 2.0t fast enough for you, then thats the car to go for. Reasonably quick car, respectable fuel efficiency, largest of the entry level germans, and a good amount of gadgets.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 5th October 2010 at 21:00.
Old 5th October 2010, 21:13   #3
Senior - BHPian

I believe Navnit has quite a few excess 325i's going for super fat discounts - the last price quoted to me was 39'ish with BSI+. Please check them out!
Old 5th October 2010, 21:57   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
If you can afford an F10 530d then why not just look at a new A4 3.2fsi/3.0tdi (no offense meant here)? The wait might be long, but if you get in touch with Audi they might have some stock. These will be fully loaded, and dont get me started on the engines. None of the 3 series, or the C's come close to the 3 litre A4s.

The 3 series is due for replacement next year, so take that into consideration. Also if by chance you change your status from a bachelor then you might find the 3 series a little small. Also the Audi is considered the all rounder, with good comfort and driving pleasure.

Well for the 320d you can get chiptuning/remap which would make it in the range of 200bhp. If you get the 2.0t a remap would make it around 230-240bhp. Of course if its the 3.0tdi then you would be looking at 270-280bhp (at least).

If you find the 2.0t fast enough for you, then thats the car to go for. Reasonably quick car, respectable fuel efficiency, largest of the entry level germans, and a good amount of gadgets.
@akshay1234 - None taken buddy. The thing is that I really wanted to go in for the 530d if it was fully loaded, but then again I am pushing my budget quite a lot and I mean really stretching it and I don't want to throw away that kind of money on an A4 (however good the car might be; it is still a segment lower and I am not gonna get the time or the place to "properly" rip the ride.)

Secondly, I am aware that the 3 is about to be replaced with an all new model in 2012, so if I get a good second hand deal then I thought I would go in for the 320d HL. I was offered a Sep 2009 320d HL with 9K on the ODO for 26L; how does that sound - reasonable? If i decide on the A4 then it will definitely be a new car. I am not too concerned about the space cause I am way too young to change my status to married, so space as such is not a constraint.

Thirdly, I have seen that some members are using the chips from racechip.de, some from chipexpress.co.uk etc. At the end of the day, I don't want anything to go wrong with the car, so wanted to get a professional opinion on which is best/safe. I am not very keen on going in for a remap at this stage. Any other options available for the A4 2.0T?

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
I believe Navnit has quite a few excess 325i's going for super fat discounts - the last price quoted to me was 39'ish with BSI+. Please check them out!
@reignofchaos - thanks for the tip, will look into it. By the way, who do you interact with at the showroom here?
Old 5th October 2010, 22:24   #5
Senior - BHPian

There was a sales person named Jyoti and there was another guy whose name I forgot. I wasn't fully convinced that the 3 is the right car for Bangalore roads - the ride was rubbish and the brakes felt a bit on-off to me - touch and it locks up and ABS kicks in. Totally unacceptable!

On the NICE road stretch between E-City and Bannerghatta, the car was jumping around on even tiny road undulations.
Old 5th October 2010, 23:44   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
There was a sales person named Jyoti and there was another guy whose name I forgot. I wasn't fully convinced that the 3 is the right car for Bangalore roads - the ride was rubbish and the brakes felt a bit on-off to me - touch and it locks up and ABS kicks in. Totally unacceptable!

On the NICE road stretch between E-City and Bannerghatta, the car was jumping around on even tiny road undulations.
@reignofchaos - If you look at it that way, I think that only 4x4's will do for BLR (Decent ride and adequate GC for the lovely roads)

The ride is rubbish, but I like my ride to be stiff. The A4 on the other hand was neither too soft nor harsh, but after you go into a few potholes I felt that the car was a little too wobbly (if that makes any sense). The brakes were a tad too buttery as well and the accelerator pedal did take some time to respond when I stepped on it; the lag was quite prominent.

I guess I should go and drive them both again.
Old 6th October 2010, 10:00   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
There is definitely NO stock of the 3.0 TDI. A politician from New Bombay had ordered 1 half a year back and his would be the only 3.0 TDI arrival.
3.2fsi , now that...he could get.

@ cypher...Quite honestly i am surprised you had issues with the A4 ground clearance. I own a 3.0 TDI which has a body kit and touchwood, i havnt scraped its belly anywhere at all. If you have any idea of how pathetic Mumbai's roads (roads?? what roads !! ) are in the rains, you would definitely say that the ground clearance isn't that big an issue.
Lastly, i am not trying to support the A4 here as i own it but really..trust me i was in the SAME DILEMMA that you are in currently around 8 months ago. We were waiting for the launch of the f10 so we could pounce on the 530D. That is when we got lucky with this single Auto Expo piece. ( all there in the a4 3.0 tdi thread) and went ahead with her without much thought.
Yes it is a segment lower technically as it competes with the 3/C ,but otherwise, she is as fast as the 530D if not a tad faster and both have identical gadgets. The B8 A4 IMO is 1 of the best looking sedan on our roads today, not to mention the DRLs. In size as well, its a LOT bigger than its immediate competition and goes into passat territory. ( Quite BIG )
In case of the f10, a big fan of it as well, but i do feel that its only in white color that it really gets noticed as such. The styling is too bland to be eye catching IMO. Ofcourse had it not been for this A4 , i would have been with an f10 today. (Sorry for confusing you )
In short, you cant go wrong with either of them. Identical power - A4 3.0 ( 240ps ,500NM ) 0-100 in 6.2
F10 530D (245ps , 540NM ) 0-100 in 6.3
Both lookers, 1 an eye catcher the other an elegant design.
Identical electronics and gadgetry.
The 530D f10 would not be an issue to get hold off but incase you do get interested in the A4 3.0 TDI, just make sure you contact the Audi dealer well in advance as procuring the 3.0 takes half a lifetime. goodluck
Old 6th October 2010, 16:48   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatzdaTurbo View Post
There is definitely NO stock of the 3.0 TDI. A politician from New Bombay had ordered 1 half a year back and his would be the only 3.0 TDI arrival.
3.2fsi , now that...he could get.

@ cypher...Quite honestly i am surprised you had issues with the A4 ground clearance. I own a 3.0 TDI which has a body kit and touchwood, i havnt scraped its belly anywhere at all. If you have any idea of how pathetic Mumbai's roads (roads?? what roads !! ) are in the rains, you would definitely say that the ground clearance isn't that big an issue.
Lastly, i am not trying to support the A4 here as i own it but really..trust me i was in the SAME DILEMMA that you are in currently around 8 months ago. We were waiting for the launch of the f10 so we could pounce on the 530D. That is when we got lucky with this single Auto Expo piece. ( all there in the a4 3.0 tdi thread) and went ahead with her without much thought.
Yes it is a segment lower technically as it competes with the 3/C ,but otherwise, she is as fast as the 530D if not a tad faster and both have identical gadgets. The B8 A4 IMO is 1 of the best looking sedan on our roads today, not to mention the DRLs. In size as well, its a LOT bigger than its immediate competition and goes into passat territory. ( Quite BIG )
In case of the f10, a big fan of it as well, but i do feel that its only in white color that it really gets noticed as such. The styling is too bland to be eye catching IMO. Ofcourse had it not been for this A4 , i would have been with an f10 today. (Sorry for confusing you )
In short, you cant go wrong with either of them. Identical power - A4 3.0 ( 240ps ,500NM ) 0-100 in 6.2
F10 530D (245ps , 540NM ) 0-100 in 6.3
Both lookers, 1 an eye catcher the other an elegant design.
Identical electronics and gadgetry.
The 530D f10 would not be an issue to get hold off but incase you do get interested in the A4 3.0 TDI, just make sure you contact the Audi dealer well in advance as procuring the 3.0 takes half a lifetime. goodluck
@PlatzdaTurbo - I have never been to Mumbai but I have heard that the roads are in a pretty lousy state. Bangalore on the other hand is renowned for the speedbreakers. Honestly, I have no idea which moron commissions such large speedbreakers; as they say - common sense is not very common!

You are a lucky guy indeed, I just wish I get such an opportunity; you got a superb deal mate.

I agree with you on the fact that the latest avatar of the A4 is stunning, even more so that the F10. I guess you can call the F10 'stately yet sporty' but certainly not an attention grabber like the A4. I felt that the A4's interior quality was miles ahead of the 3 as well. Looks like I am leaning more towards the A4 2.0T as of now

I guess you would you be the best person to provide answers to my questions; please get back to me when you get time.
Old 6th October 2010, 17:08   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by __c_y_p_h_e_r__ View Post
@PlatzdaTurbo - I have never been to Mumbai but I have heard that the roads are in a pretty lousy state. Bangalore on the other hand is renowned for the speedbreakers. Honestly, I have no idea which moron commissions such large speedbreakers; as they say - common sense is not very common!

You are a lucky guy indeed, I just wish I get such an opportunity; you got a superb deal mate.

I agree with you on the fact that the latest avatar of the A4 is stunning, even more so that the F10. I guess you can call the F10 'stately yet sporty' but certainly not an attention grabber like the A4. I felt that the A4's interior quality was miles ahead of the 3 as well. Looks like I am leaning more towards the A4 2.0T as of now

I guess you would you be the best person to provide answers to my questions; please get back to me when you get time.
If u mean the questions you asked at the beginning of the thread, quite frankly i dont have an idea of any of these details as far as the 2.0T is concerned. If you want i could find out and let you know in a couple days time ?
Old 6th October 2010, 19:26   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatzdaTurbo View Post
If u mean the questions you asked at the beginning of the thread, quite frankly i dont have an idea of any of these details as far as the 2.0T is concerned. If you want i could find out and let you know in a couple days time ?
Yes please; that would really help put things in perspective.
Old 6th October 2010, 20:39   #11
BHPian

If your decision is between the A4 and the 3, I would say go for the A4 blindly.

The A4 has the largest interior space and ground clearance in its segment. So if your saying the A4 scrapped humps, you can only imagine what will happen with the 3 and the C.

But if your considering the 5, I would say nothing comes close to it, after all it is the latest buy on the market.

A4 3.2 FSI or 3.0 TDI?? forget about it. Getting these cars are impossible unless you're very lucky.

In conclusion, I would say go in for the A4 2.0 TFSI. A gem of an engine, and an excellent and refined car. You do get chips which can boost performance but make sure you use them after your warranty expires. As for the service intervals, they are every 15,000 kms or 1 year which ever comes earlier.

Last edited by funkydevil : 6th October 2010 at 20:42.
Old 7th October 2010, 19:08   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkydevil View Post
If your decision is between the A4 and the 3, I would say go for the A4 blindly.

The A4 has the largest interior space and ground clearance in its segment. So if your saying the A4 scrapped humps, you can only imagine what will happen with the 3 and the C.

But if your considering the 5, I would say nothing comes close to it, after all it is the latest buy on the market.

A4 3.2 FSI or 3.0 TDI?? forget about it. Getting these cars are impossible unless you're very lucky.

In conclusion, I would say go in for the A4 2.0 TFSI. A gem of an engine, and an excellent and refined car. You do get chips which can boost performance but make sure you use them after your warranty expires. As for the service intervals, they are every 15,000 kms or 1 year which ever comes earlier.
Since the 3 has a stiffer suspension setup, I was hoping that it won't graze every single speedbreaker. In fact, I was supposed to take the 320d out for a spin on roads with ridiculously sized speedbreakers. The BMW executive was supposed to show up at my office in the evening but he never turned up. This is the second time he is absconding. I tried calling him up but no answer at all; if this is the kind of service you get before buying the vehicle, I can only imagine how it is going to be post purchase. Looks like all roads lead to AUDI.

P.S. Thanks for the information on service intervals.
Old 11th October 2010, 10:32   #13
BHPian

The A4 TSi is my choice. I got the 2.0 tdi and i still wonder....what if.....

Go for it man. The 2.0 is a beast.
Old 11th October 2010, 12:38   #14
BHPian

Hey Cypher, I have the Audi 2.0 TFSI and absolutely love it. I have had it for a little over a year now and have never had a problem with scraping speed breakers (in Mumbai that speaks volumes). The engine is a blast and the steering has a nice heavy feel to it at higher expressway speeds. The FE is great IMO, I consistently get about 12 to the litre with a mix of highway and city use. I also own a C class and think you are absolutely right, its a great car but not as "gizmoed out" and not nearly as fun to drive. My service experience with the Audi has also been stellar so far with the workshop guys being very professional. I highly recommend it. Let me know if you have any specific questions about the car.
Old 11th October 2010, 13:52   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redeff View Post
The A4 TSi is my choice. I got the 2.0 tdi and i still wonder....what if.....

Go for it man. The 2.0 is a beast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragtop View Post
Hey Cypher, I have the Audi 2.0 TFSI and absolutely love it. I have had it for a little over a year now and have never had a problem with scraping speed breakers (in Mumbai that speaks volumes). The engine is a blast and the steering has a nice heavy feel to it at higher expressway speeds. The FE is great IMO, I consistently get about 12 to the litre with a mix of highway and city use. I also own a C class and think you are absolutely right, its a great car but not as "gizmoed out" and not nearly as fun to drive. My service experience with the Audi has also been stellar so far with the workshop guys being very professional. I highly recommend it. Let me know if you have any specific questions about the car.
@ redeff, ragtop - Thanks for the input guys.

Finally managed to go for an hour-long drive on the 320d HL. My thoughts on the same:

• The ride does get to you on a long commute; it is rock solid and yes your back will ache and you will the tossed around the cabin if you drive on bad roads.

• The steering is hard initially, but you get used to it. Just don’t go and drive anything else!

• Unlike the A4, the RWD 320d really shines when tackling corners. It certainly manages to put a smile on your face.

• I was told that BMW will be rolling out navigation in India soon, and that they would perform a free S/W update on the car to activate the services (if your car supports it and the 320d HL does, as per the Sales Manager). I’m not sure whether the A4 2.0T will be able to support full fledged navigation due to fact that the car is incorporated with MMI basic – someone please clarify.

• I tried devouring many speedbreakers and the car managed every single one effortlessly. On second thought, when I drove the A4 the car was loaded with 4 adults whilst on the 320d there were only 2, so I am not fully convinced that the stiffer suspension will hold up at all times.

Alrighty, that is about it for now. I am still waiting for the answers to my questions guys. I'm sure redeff and ragtop can fill me in ;-)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks