Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2010, 00:28   #1
BHPian

Best driver's car in the 25-35L bracket.

Have heard about the c200 cgi that has been launched recently. I haven't been able to find any thread concerned with the same.
Have a few in mind.
BMW 320d - I believe they have upgraded the engine to produce 184 bhp and 380 nm of torque.
Audi A4 2.0tfsi
or Mercedes c200 CGI.
All are quick and fall in the above price bracket.
Old 3rd November 2010, 10:38   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dang.mickey View Post
Have heard about the c200 cgi that has been launched recently. I haven't been able to find any thread concerned with the same.
Have a few in mind.
BMW 320d - I believe they have upgraded the engine to produce 184 bhp and 380 nm of torque.
Audi A4 2.0tfsi
or Mercedes c200 CGI.
I haven't driven the C yet, so can't comment on it but between the 320d and the 2.0T the beemer wins hands down. The 2.0T just does not inspire your confidence when tackling corners at speed. The 320d is in a higher state of tune; I think this is because of the EURO IV regulations, not too sure. The 320d gives you a sense of security and the amount of feedback you get from the steering is paramount. Then again, the ride is harsh and the steering is heavy, but if you can live with that and since drivability is your main criteria, the 320d is your best bet.
Old 3rd November 2010, 12:08   #3
Team-BHP Support

Let me add something that is quicker than all of these -

The Skoda Superb 3.6 fsi. It is 260bhp of power, and has a 4x4 system so the traction is very good. Also it will smoke these cars in the 0-100 dash. It also has paddle shifts and as many features as the cars you have mentioned, and also a lot more space.
Old 3rd November 2010, 12:30   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Let me add something that is quicker than all of these -

The Skoda Superb 3.6 fsi. It is 260bhp of power, and has a 4x4 system so the traction is very good. Also it will smoke these cars in the 0-100 dash. It also has paddle shifts and as many features as the cars you have mentioned, and also a lot more space.
>>>
akshay,

Re. the Superb vis-avis the Bimmer and the other two as mentioned by -cypher, does it win in the "handling corners at speed" too, over the three teutons?

If so, then it is a handful.

Going forward if the XF is assembled in India, maybe we will have the XF S (diesel) to compare the three teutons plus the Superb, with. Hang on, how about the new Accord V6? I know its not exactly a drivers' car, but can we dismiss it so summarily?

Regards, drive safe
Old 3rd November 2010, 12:49   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis View Post
>>>
akshay,

Re. the Superb vis-avis the Bimmer and the other two as mentioned by -cypher, does it win in the "handling corners at speed" too, over the three teutons?

Going forward if the XF is assembled in India, maybe we will have the XF S (diesel) to compare the three teutons plus the Superb, with. Hang on, how about the new Accord V6? I know its not exactly a drivers' car, but can we dismiss it so summarily?

Regards, drive safe
I haven't tried the new cgi. BUT I can tell you that the 3.2 a4 has it all and then some. I think it is available at just around 37 without extras and is quite the monster. However the 2.0 TFSI does have quite a brilliant balance and holds around the bends like its on rails.

The accord V6 well I tried that and its still running the american underpinnings so it wasn't my cup of tea. Just wants to run wide!
The superb sadly suffers the same fate. Its a little better but that rear is just way off!

There's also the x1 coming in which is supposed to be a real stonker at around the same range.
Now unless you are willing to look at the pre-worshipped cars there aren't any more. But from the older ones the e90 530d is the one to have a real monster in hiding.
Old 3rd November 2010, 12:59   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
>>>
akshay,

Regards, drive safe
The Superb may not be as good as the Bimmer at handling but should be better than the Audi and the Merc, since the 2.0T Audi does not have Quattro.

Sir the XF is a whole segment higher and to compare the 3, A4, C and Superb with it will be sacrilege.

The new Accord V6 has power, but is good only for acceleration, the handling is poor and the brakes could be much better too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhallen.282 View Post
I haven't tried the new cgi. BUT I can tell you that the 3.2 a4 has it all and then some. I think it is available at just around 37 without extras and is quite the monster. However the 2.0 TFSI does have quite a brilliant balance and holds around the bends like its on rails.
The A4 3.2 for 37 on road? With options it is sure to cost 40+.
Old 3rd November 2010, 13:02   #7
BHPian

Lists of best handling cars?

>>>

Lads,

This must have surely be done before, else, how about lists as follows :

A. Best handling car (new) within 15 l (on road)
B. ditto, within 25l
C. ditto, within 35 l
D. ditto, within 50 l

Obviously, the top speed will take less weightage as compared to, handling in corners and straights. Braking will be important too. I'd put the criteria as (most important, less important and so on) :

1. Handling in corners, at speed
2. Braking in corners
3. Handling on straights, at speed
4. Braking on straights
5. Top speed
6. Ride ( if at all)

Do modify this if necessary.

Regards, drive safe
Old 3rd November 2010, 13:37   #8
Senior - BHPian

Am not sure if anyone here thought of 2.0Tfsi engine with a simple remap and a new filter could get you to 250-265HP. Add a blistein dampers and it'll handle much better to most others.
However for a bit better economy and that addictive torque of diesel 320d is better call. There is a 320d in the family that we picked up couple of weeks back and can tell you it's best of both world, handling and torque power. And all this at 26L.
For complete peace of mind I wouldn't suggest Skoda. I use both skoda fabia and luara both manuals. I had seen 2 Superb with gearbox issue lying at JMD workshop for more than a month and one of them was a V6 model. That's not the first time I have seen a superb with an issue. Though the engine is brilliant and comfort level is unmatched by many.

Last edited by Invinsible : 3rd November 2010 at 13:42.
Old 3rd November 2010, 13:51   #9
Senior - BHPian

My options in Bold below.

Quote:
>>>

Lads,

This must have surely be done before, else, how about lists as follows :

A. Best handling car (new) within 15 l (on road) - Skoda Laura 1.8tsi
B. ditto, within 25l - BMW 320d CE
C. ditto, within 35 l - BMW 330i, Audi A4 2.0fsi (after some modes)
D. ditto, within 50 l - Audi A4 3.2fsi, A4 3.0tdi

Obviously, the top speed will take less weightage as compared to, handling in corners and straights. Braking will be important too. I'd put the criteria as (most important, less important and so on) :

1. Handling in corners, at speed
2. Braking in corners
3. Handling on straights, at speed
4. Braking on straights
5. Top speed
6. Ride ( if at all)

Do modify this if necessary.

Regards, drive safe
Old 3rd November 2010, 13:52   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dang.mickey View Post
Have a few in mind.
Audi A4 2.0tfsi
or Mercedes c200 CGI.
I recently test drove the 200 CGI and the 320D back to back. The new C is a much improved driver's car, compared to its predecessor, but the Beemer still nicks it IMO.
Old 4th November 2010, 11:07   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Want to have fun? Get yourself an Audi A4 3.0 TDI. It owns the C & the 3 with the stupendous torque delivery. Sure, you'll have to stretch your budget, but it'll be well worth it. Start with reading through this ownership report.

Alternatively, you might want to consider a used E60 530d.

Quote:
The Skoda Superb 3.6 fsi.
Fast, no doubt. But with that steering & long wheelbase, I doubt it can be termed as an outright drivers car.
Old 4th November 2010, 11:50   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Want to have fun? Get yourself an Audi A4 3.0 TDI. It owns the C & the 3 with the stupendous torque delivery. Sure, you'll have to stretch your budget, but it'll be well worth it. Start with reading through this ownership report.

Alternatively, you might want to consider a used E60 530d.

Fast, no doubt. But with that steering & long wheelbase, I doubt it can be termed as an outright drivers car.
I dont think the A4 3.0tdi would be available in 35l, it will cost at least 10l more on road. But that is a real monster.

The E60 530d is a great option, there are some good deals going around.

Rush, do remember the Superb 3.6fsi has a different suspension setup from the other 2. It is stiffer, and lowered. If you havent driven it yet it might leave you surprised.
Old 4th November 2010, 12:16   #13
Senior - BHPian

Or How would it be to have a 320d with Remap that delivers 230Hp and 490NM of torque and one can still save some K. And it's 200kgs lighter than A4 3.0tdi that would translate to better power/torque to weight ratio compared to the later. However the A4 comes quattro that add to the advantage and steering though gives feedback but is light compared to the 320d.
But if all that power is not enough for one, can get the A4 3.0d and add a simple remap and one could have 700NM of torque!!

Last edited by Invinsible : 4th November 2010 at 12:35.
Old 4th November 2010, 13:25   #14
Senior - BHPian

Without having to really go on your budget, I'd recommend you stick to the 320d Corp. Ed. Not only is it one of the best drivers cars, the fact that it soon will be phased out could be a great opportunity to get a great discount. Or even if you wait until Jan 2011, and pick up a 2010 manufactured car you could be talking about some really good discounts, and at the end of the day you will still have some money saved for fuel and other expenses.
Old 4th November 2010, 13:44   #15
Senior - BHPian

I had test driven the Superb 3.6fsi, And found it very good in handling and feel. The suspension has a different set up.
If one can get the pluses of a Drivers car with Humungous space and luxury, why not consider this option.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks