Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2011, 09:18   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Top End Executive Saloon for Dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saarth View Post
How much is a new Bentley CFS on the road?
I think it's upwards of 2 cr, but that is just indicative. Also, with these things, if you start ticking the options list you end up eroding your reserves like nobody's business
Old 30th January 2011, 17:28   #17
Senior - BHPian

Just curious why are some cars being considered in their diesel variants and some in their top end variants? (V12)

From the above I would pick the 7 or the S, yes the other cars XJ and A8 have their new factor and a lot more but I still believe the 7 looks like a really elegant car and the A8 will still need to prove it in terms of how well it does as the previous generation never moved off the shelf but then the new car is suppose to be wonderful in terms of what it offers.

S-Class the best advantage is the comfort it offers, also another point is it's price since it is made in India mose of the options on other cars become a standard package here in India and it also reduces your over all cost of the car as the RTO reduces a lot atleast in a lot of states. Plus since it only ha 18 months left in it's lifecycle you can get a good amount of discount, infact if you get a 2010 model without the night vision you will find their offers extremely tempting.

Yes it is nearing it's end of life as the new S will launch in June / July 2012 but thats press launch so sales in India will not begin before Feb / March 2013 so if you bought it now you still have 2 years to look at it as an older car. And if you need performance they also sell the S500 in CKD format which adds a panoramic roof and I believe soon it will get the new 4.6L V8 engine which has the performance to match.

Over all in terms of Features, Comfort, VFM factor I would choose the S.

My order would be

1. S or 7
2. A8
3. XJ-L
Old 30th January 2011, 19:14   #18
Senior - BHPian

Off Topic : The A8 is being launched on the 5th of Feb.'11. Just got an invitation for the event !!

Hope to carry my camera.

Cheers
Old 31st January 2011, 00:41   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingSpur View Post
I think it's upwards of 2 cr, but that is just indicative. Also, with these things, if you start ticking the options list you end up eroding your reserves like nobody's business
But you can always get a used one for half that price with very little mileage on it

Though in terms of sheer profile, I think a brand new XJ would look as expensive as a Flying Spur on road!

Overall I would say go for the XJ. But also wait and check out the Audi as it will be much more advanced than all of the competition right now. And by looking at the previews I am sure it would be as comfortable and luxurious as the class leading S-Class (7 and old A8 were always behind by a pinch).

All the best!
Old 31st January 2011, 06:23   #20
BHPian

Saarth

As your Dad was also considering a SUV initially so why not consider something which is a luxury car rivalling S Class and the best SUV in the world.

Check out the Range Rover. It has the wow factor, luxury, versatility and exclusivity all rolled into one. It is available with two V8 diesel engines of 3.6 and 4.4 L and 5L V8 supercharged petrol 510 PS.

The 4.4L TDV8 (diesel) model is now available with a new, faster, 8 - speed automatic transmission incorporating Drive Select and Paddle Shift.

Last edited by akj53 : 31st January 2011 at 06:30.
Old 31st January 2011, 06:45   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S350L-E240 View Post
Just curious why are some cars being considered in their diesel variants and some in their top end variants? (V12)

From the above I would pick the 7 or the S, yes the other cars XJ and A8 have their new factor and a lot more but I still believe the 7 looks like a really elegant car and the A8 will still need to prove it in terms of how well it does as the previous generation never moved off the shelf but then the new car is suppose to be wonderful in terms of what it offers.

S-Class the best advantage is the comfort it offers, also another point is it's price since it is made in India mose of the options on other cars become a standard package here in India and it also reduces your over all cost of the car as the RTO reduces a lot atleast in a lot of states. Plus since it only ha 18 months left in it's lifecycle you can get a good amount of discount, infact if you get a 2010 model without the night vision you will find their offers extremely tempting.

Yes it is nearing it's end of life as the new S will launch in June / July 2012 but thats press launch so sales in India will not begin before Feb / March 2013 so if you bought it now you still have 2 years to look at it as an older car. And if you need performance they also sell the S500 in CKD format which adds a panoramic roof and I believe soon it will get the new 4.6L V8 engine which has the performance to match.

Over all in terms of Features, Comfort, VFM factor I would choose the S.

My order would be

1. S or 7
2. A8
3. XJ-L
The reason for the Diesels being considered was initially the price. I don't know if the 5.0 petrol XJ would fit into the budget.

The S is now not being considered, and my dad is considering upping his budget to the Panamera, and is getting tempted to look at the Flying Spur. What's important to me right now, is knowing the on road costs of these vehicles before getting dad involved with the dealership.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goingout View Post
But you can always get a used one for half that price with very little mileage on it

Though in terms of sheer profile, I think a brand new XJ would look as expensive as a Flying Spur on road!

Overall I would say go for the XJ. But also wait and check out the Audi as it will be much more advanced than all of the competition right now. And by looking at the previews I am sure it would be as comfortable and luxurious as the class leading S-Class (7 and old A8 were always behind by a pinch).

All the best!
How would you compare the XJ to the Flying Spur? Is the XJ more VFM for what both the cars offer, minus the snob value of the brand? And what is the base on road price of the CFS?
Old 31st January 2011, 07:47   #22
BHPian

Oh and also, dad won't agree on a used Conti, but luckily he's been tempted to look at a new one.
Old 31st January 2011, 09:55   #23
Senior - BHPian

The XJL doesn't have air suspension, adjustable rear seats, fridge or heated rear seats as standard in the Indian package which the S and 7 offer, so will the A8. Wait for the new A8 and book one with executive rear seat package, first class airline style comfort which rivals the configuration of the maybach.
Old 31st January 2011, 10:47   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saarth View Post
Oh and also, dad won't agree on a used Conti, but luckily he's been tempted to look at a new one.
A new Continental means doubling your budget. At least 2 cr on road.

Im very confused, what do you guys want from the car? On one end of the spectrum you are looking at cars like the 7 and the S with great back seats, and now you are talking about a Panamera which wont be quarter as comfy as the back.
Old 1st February 2011, 10:49   #25
Senior - BHPian

Looking for Performance ??? - Audi A8 4.2TDI - nearly 350bhp and 800NM Torque. 0-100kph in 5.4secs flat. The world ends here.
Here is something for you - Until the S8 is here , the 4.2TDI remains the fastest A8 after the larger than life 6.0 w12. With the w12, you are going to be hunting for high ocatane fuel most of the time to extract maximum performance.

Comfort,features ? - the optional Rs. 4 lakh rear seat package offered on the A8. First class comfort and as mentioned before, probably Maybach rivaling rear individual seats. These seats can pretty much do anything for you

Ride Quality ? - Cant comment on the XJ (as i dont know about it) but am pretty sure the A8 would offer superior ride quality than the 7 and perhaps mite get dangerously close to the S.

The only problem here being, even if this car does manage to catch your ineterest, you will have to wait.
Sure the earlier A8 hardly made an impact but that means nothing. This is a whole new chapter and Audi have 1 supremely capable machine on their hands. If possible, do wait and check it out.
Old 1st February 2011, 11:13   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatzdaTurbo View Post
Looking for Performance ??? - Audi A8 4.2TDI - nearly 350bhp and 800NM Torque. 0-100kph in 5.4secs flat. The world ends here.
Good lord ! The world certainly does end there. How does the Q7 with the same engine take a whole second longer to the ton? I don't think the Q7 is all that more heavier to shed off an entire second !

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
The XJL doesn't have air suspension, adjustable rear seats, fridge or heated rear seats as standard in the Indian package which the S and 7 offer, so will the A8.
No air suspension !?! That's pathetic since this feature is a give in that segment.
My love for the XJ just dropped a notch, shame on Tata !
Most cars in the above 60 lakh segment come with air suspension Q7,GL,etc
Old 1st February 2011, 11:30   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Good lord ! The world certainly does end there. How does the Q7 with the same engine take a whole second longer to the ton? I don't think the Q7 is all that more heavier to shed off an entire second !
The Q7 4.2 TDI weighs 2440kg and the A8 4.2 TDI weighs 1995 kg....so a 440kg+ weight advantage for the A8 and the A8 is more aerodynamic hence i think that explains the faster acceleration.

Last edited by koolsun216 : 1st February 2011 at 11:31. Reason: unladen weight for the Q7 changed
Old 1st February 2011, 11:34   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Though the kerb weight might vary according to the variant, lets just keep it simple.
The heaviest A8 weighs -1835kg ( should be the w12 i think)
All new spaceframe with extensive usage of aluminium all over.
The A8 4.2 TDI is rated @ 345bhp and 800 NM torque which helps this almost 5.2m long and 1.8ton monster to blast to the ton in 5.5secs flat.

In contrast , the heaviest Q7 ( v12 diesel ) - 2605kg
I doubt aluminium has been used as generously as in the A8.
Most importantly the 4.2TDI Q7 is rated @ 324bhp and 760NM torque.

So it just goes down to a lot more mass and engine in a lower state of tune.
Old 1st February 2011, 12:46   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
The XJL doesn't have air suspension, adjustable rear seats, fridge or heated rear seats as standard in the Indian package which the S and 7 offer, so will the A8. Wait for the new A8 and book one with executive rear seat package, first class airline style comfort which rivals the configuration of the maybach.
Quote:
No air suspension !?! That's pathetic since this feature is a give in that segment.
My love for the XJ just dropped a notch, shame on Tata !
Most cars in the above 60 lakh segment come with air suspension Q7,GL,etc
The XJ's supplied in India (as per Jaguar India's web site) are Portfolio editions.

All Portfolio models have Adaptive Dynamics which is an electronic suspension system. This analyses body movements, steering and road wheel inputs up to 500 times per second and continuously adjusting the suspension settings through electronically controlled dampers, to provide optimum balance between low speed ride comfort and high speed handling precision.

All Portfolio and Supersport models also come with Active ventilated Front and Rear Seats - heated and cooled. Front seats are 20/20 way adjustable with Massage function.

The above are standard in U.K., I doubt whether they will tinker with the suspension specs for few cars to be sold in India. They might have taken off the heaters from the seats, as they are hardly needed here, but little else.
Old 3rd February 2011, 07:57   #30
BHPian

Re: Top End Executive Saloon for Dad - EDIT: Booked Jaguar XJL

Thanks alot for the suggestions guys, really appreciate the help.

We just booked the Jaguar XJL 3.0D in Claret Red today. Here are some of the options we picked.

-Heated wood/leather steering wheel
-Rear Seat Entertainment Package
-Personalized Intaglio Finisher (A cooool feature where you can have your personal signature embossed into a chrome strip)
-Illuminated Tread Plates

*pic from google
Attached Thumbnails
Top End Executive Saloon for Dad-jag.jpg  

Last edited by Saarth : 3rd February 2011 at 08:06.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks