Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2011, 20:38   #1
BHPian

Top End Executive Saloon for Dad

So over the last year we have been looking at different segments of cars to purchase, and my dads been deciding whether he wants an SUV, or a sports car for a sunday drive, or a top end sedan. Finally he decided on the sedan.

So we shortlisted 3 options for him.
(in order of preference)
1) Jaguar XJ-L 3.0 Diesel
2) Mercedes S350 Diesel
3) BMW 760li
4) Audi A8 (dad's not too fond of Audi's and don't know when the new one will be available in India)

The Panamera isn't included because not only does dad not like it, but he's been told things about Porsche India, from friends who have dealt with them that he doesn't want to go through.

Which one of those is the best option? His use for the car is daily, about 20km, and abour 200km trips once a week. Budget is around 1-1.2crore on road. Which one's the best?
Old 25th January 2011, 20:42   #2
BHPian

Re: Top End Executive Saloon for Dad

My choice would be XJ-L, it a class. BMs, Mercs, Audis are quite common but jags aren't. This XJ-L looks massive, luxurious and elegant.
Old 25th January 2011, 21:30   #3
Senior - BHPian

BMW 760Li - Monster of an engine and probably the best to drive & enjoy on weekends with all the creature comforts on the back seat. Clean design & IMO looks better than the S and i personally also like it better than the Jaguar. Have not seen the Audi A8 in flesh.

AUDI A8 - Any reason for disliking Audis ? The new A8 bookings should begin anytime in the next week and a half. They are offering the 4.2 fsi & 3.0 tdi engines to start off with. While both of them are excellent & seriously quick engines, IMO the real beast would release only after a month in the form of a 4.2 TDI with 350hp and 800 NM torque ! The new A8 would easily be the most feature packed of the entire lot and though looks are highly subjective , i personally LOVE the new A8 looks. Its also the biggest of the 4 by dimensions albeit marginally. Audi are also the only ones so far to offer a choice of 2 diesels in this segment in India.
However if you are considering the 760Li, then why not even consider the delcious 6.0 w12 A8 to be launched at a later date ?
LED headlamp package, A Touchpad to type and scroll, 1500watt B&O etc. are segment firsts ( correct me if wrong here)

MERCEDES S350 - Still the back seat king till the A8s rear seat is extensively tested over Indian roads. Even after its tested i would imagine the S to be the rear seat comfort king of the segment. Has all the gadgets the Beemer & Jag have with that extra bit of rear comfort which is always what most biggies in India are looking for. I would dare to say that this might be the least involving to drive out of the 4 but the best to catch up with some serious sleep in thanks again to the best in class comfort.

JAGUAR XF Diesel - HIGHEST snob value along with the A8 and also a refreshing change from the Teutonic trio. Extremely classic and tastefully done interiors.Dont really have much information on the Jag but really, you obviously couldnt go wrong with either of them !

Last edited by PlatzdaTurbo : 25th January 2011 at 21:34.
Old 25th January 2011, 23:38   #4
BHPian

I love Audi's but for some reason my dad's never like them. Bummer.. :(

The current debate is between the S350 and XJ-L leaning more towards the Jag, because we have a C220 and he doesn't want another Merc.

Anyone have any idea about on-road prices of the S350 and XJ-L?
Old 25th January 2011, 23:40   #5
Team-BHP Support

I doubt the 760li would fit into 1.2cr, and nor would the Panamera but thats out anyway.

The 750li is a good bet. Looking at your running I dont think you need a diesel, so check out the XJ-L 5.0 385bhp. And also the A8 4.2fsi which is coming out very soon will be a good bet, since it is the freshest of the lot and IMO Audis are the best all rounders. Also the interiors on it are supposed to be the best.

Not much to say about the S. The S500 should fit into your budget.
Old 26th January 2011, 00:06   #6
BHPian

If your Dad loves to drive then it must be Jag XJ with 5.0 petrol. Out of all the above mentioned cars, Jaguar XJ is the best car to drive and interiors are far superior to the Germans. It also has the best feel good factor. Take a test drive and your will look no further.

If he is going to be chauffeur driven, then it can be S class or A8 in that order. BMW 7 series comes last in this segment.

Last edited by akj53 : 26th January 2011 at 00:08.
Old 26th January 2011, 04:05   #7

How about waiting for the new M5 or getting the XF-R instead. It is the best of both worlds, it is a sports car and an exec saloon. Give it a thought
Old 26th January 2011, 04:33   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Do checkout the 7, it's brilliant!

The new a8 too is a great option. Avoid the S as it's nearing the end of it's life cycle.

The XJ would be the most exclusive pick for now. Although reviews claim it's not as good at the rear as it's rivals.
Old 26th January 2011, 08:06   #9
BHPian

I read about the S Class about to be replaced and stuff, which is making me move away from it. It is no doubt a brilliant car but the design is definately ageing.

I'm really keen on the XJL. Anyone know what the on-road for the 3.0 Diesel and the 5.0 Petrol would be?
Old 26th January 2011, 09:17   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saarth View Post
I read about the S Class about to be replaced and stuff, which is making me move away from it. It is no doubt a brilliant car but the design is definately ageing.

I'm really keen on the XJL. Anyone know what the on-road for the 3.0 Diesel and the 5.0 Petrol would be?

I would suggest you wait it out for a couple of weeks. By then the A8 should be available for TD. Provided your dad concedes, ask him for a TD of the Audi. If he still hates it then you always have the Jag & Beemer to choose from. Back to back test drives of all 4 (assuming you are still considering the S) should give you the verdict you are looking for
Old 26th January 2011, 09:19   #11
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

As far as charm and grace goes, the XJ-L wins hands down. The brilliant lines and that elegant stance is sure to woo people all over the globe. The 750Li comes close too. The sheer size adds to the presence and that mighty engine can put a wide smile on the driver's face for ages.
Old 26th January 2011, 11:33   #12
Senior - BHPian

I would say, get the Jag. It will stand out amongst the S's and & 7's. It offers both driving pleasure as well as back seat comfort. I would recommend the new diesel which is powerful enough.

No wonder it has been voted the best in its class in UK.
Old 26th January 2011, 14:13   #13
Senior - BHPian

Since you've used the term 'top-end' and If you are fine with pre-owned vehicles, you might as well get a Bentley CFS going by your budget.
Old 27th January 2011, 00:17   #14
Senior - BHPian

I think the XJ should suit your requirements perfectly. Although if I were you - and my handle makes this clear as day - I would go the pre-owned way and get myself a... my oh my, Bentley Continental Flying Spur!
Old 27th January 2011, 05:00   #15
BHPian

How much is a new Bentley CFS on the road?

Most Viewed