Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2011, 19:51   #31
BHPian

Re: BMW 5 Series or Merc E Class

Hi PY1963,
Have you considered the Audi A6? It's a very nice car and I think it would fit your requirements perfectly. To me the Audi is the perfect middle ground if you are going back and forth between a BMW and Benz. It gives you the typical German executive class sedan and if you are in the mood for it, a nice drive.

I would select a BMW 525d if I had to go for diesel and if I buy it in the next few years. Once I am close to forty then I would probably make the sensible choice and go for a 520d. What's the price difference between the 525 and the 520?

As far as the benz goes what I've observed is that even though they have bounced back from the quality issues from the chrysler days, they still have to catch up to BMW and Audi (Audi is the best)as far as interiors go.

Going by your comments thus far, I think the Audi A6 will be a very good choice.
Old 31st January 2011, 20:06   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ Man, am going to print that in big letters and frame it. Will remove it only after I buy my first 5!
Old 31st January 2011, 21:40   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Like someone said 'Driving a Merc is like kissing your wife. Driving a BMW is like kissing your girlfriend behind the wife 's back'
I wonder then what Audi means, since it's usually taken as the best or balance of these brands.
Old 31st January 2011, 22:03   #34
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PY1963 View Post
I also just saw on net Volvo S80 D5. Any comparison of this with BMW/Merc please ?
Good car, but has started showing the age. Volvo would like this to be treated at the same level of the German giants, but the fact is that it does not command the presence or exclusivity of a BMW or Mercedes.

Agree with Anshuman - BMW 525d or 530d is my recommendation as well. And I guess BMW do provide better warranty options with the BSI package.
Old 31st January 2011, 22:49   #35
Senior - BHPian

I think the general concept of assuming Audi is a middle path now is not so true any more with the new E and 5 as both have crossed into each other's territory in a lot of ways without losing their core DNA, and also about Audi's interiors being the best well it may have held true in the previous generations but now the new 5 is a seriously plush interior.

Thats my opinion ofcourse.

Regards,
Old 31st January 2011, 23:30   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
I wonder then what Audi means, since it's usually taken as the best or balance of these brands.
Oh, that is like kissing all the PYTs while you too are single.
Last night just a fading memory, every day a new start,
Old 1st February 2011, 00:58   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
BMW has harsher ride primarily due to run flat tyres. Mercedes scores here. Mercedes has more comfortable rear seats.

The BMW has maintenance plans tailored to take surprises out of maintenance bills. If Mercedes comes up with equivalent plans then it is a sure winner. Some spirited negotiations can get you extended warranty though.

Diesel or petrol is your preference. I personally think that E200 CGI is powerful enough for city driving, and 1.5L on the road difference can get you a lot of petrol.

So if you want both front seat as well as rear seat comfort, nothing beats a Mercedes.
I have a Merc E250 CDI Blue Efficiency. And I am very happy with the car.

The engine in this car is a 2143 cc unit. Same capacity as a C class but tuned differently to deliver more power at lower revs to pull the heavier weight. It has a torque 500 nm @ 1600/1800 rpm which is in the lower end of the rev scale. The car moves effortlessly with a lot of power on reserve. The torque is the highest in this engine capacity. I get about 10KM /liter with the AC running. Most of the run is on the Kolkata Metro bypass though. The engine is slightly noisy on the outside (when compared to petrol) but the cabin is very quiet without any vibration. It is very easy to drive.

Looks : could be better from behind. But definitely more assertive than the new C class from back. There are a couple of ridges starting on rear doors and extending to the back. They add presence but it would be very difficult to get the lines back you ding the car. Panels cost serious money.

The tyres are 17" low rolling resistance run flats from Continental. Merc supplies an identical spare with alloy unlike BMW. So you do not have to ruin the tyre if you have a flat. You can safely drive 25/30 kms if you need to. I do not think that the run flats degrade the ride in any way.

The gearbox in the E250 CDI is 5 speed auto. It has confused many as to why merc stayed with this in a newly designed car and not use the 7G-tronic. I am sure they have a reason. But the shift is smooth both up and down And it is very responsive when you overtake.

The avarage service will be about Rs. 18K+ (I think). I have'nt serviced mine yet but it due now. It is expensive because everything is imported from Germany.

What I miss :

the sound system is the Audio 20 with 8 speakers. I would have loved the Harman Kardon in its place.
The media Interface cannot adopt a GPS system. If you need one it has to be added seperately with its own display.

To me personally the star has a lot of value. Mercedes still defines automotive engineering / innovation for passenger cars and the 250CDI BE is no exception.

Rgds
Old 5th February 2011, 14:39   #38

Dear Freinds,

I haven't yet decided which car to go for. I am waiting for some more experts' opinions.

I am not considering Audi A6 as of now for two reasons - one it is due for upgrade shortly & I don't want to buy a car which becomes outdated very shortly & two, I feel somehow Audi could not match brand appeal or exclusivity of BMW/Benz in India, even if it is perfect fit between BMW & Merc.

I have also dropped Jaguar & Volvo. Choice now has to be between 520d, 525d, E200 & E250 only.

Garipagol mentioned that Merc system will not configure GPS and one need to fit it extra. That will look very odd. What about BMW ? Can one get GPS on it's display screen as & when it is subscribed.

Also how audio quality & effect of BMW compares with Merc ?

Regards
Old 5th February 2011, 14:49   #39

Out of my selected 4 models 520d, 525d, E 200 or E 250, how much maximum discount I should target on each model if buying it from Delhi ?

Regards
Old 5th February 2011, 17:19   #40
Senior - BHPian

PY1963,

Stick to the 520d, and if you go the Mercedes way then Just get the E250 CDI, and about the discounts it is between 1.75 - 2.60 depends on the dealer and the models, see if any 2010 E's are in stock.

Sound is good enough in both, I am quite satisfied with BMW and it's interface, also do remember to get the iPod cable it makes life so easy in the BMW, and similar cable I think is available for Mercedes too.

And no you cannot get the GPS on the BMW display, and as far as I know it will be a while until when GPS is made standard across the model range in India.

Regards,
Old 10th February 2011, 10:57   #41

Hi Guys,

I have finally booked BMW 520d. Thank you very much to each & everyone who guided me to arrive at the decision.

The only thing I did not like in the car is that even after paying so much money, they do not provide any audio control on back seat of the car. If providing i drive on back seat cost money, they could have atleast provided a remote for the back seat passenger. Even my Skoda Octavia has a remote of audio for back seat passenger.

Now wheneevr I shall be driven, every time I will have to ask driver to change the channel or volumes which is not very convenient.

Any solution to this problem please ?

Thanks
Old 10th February 2011, 12:03   #42
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PY1963 View Post
I have finally booked BMW 520d. Thank you very much to each & everyone who guided me to arrive at the decision.
Congratulations! Great decision, and the 520d is indeed an excellent VFM option from the BMW stable.
Looking forward to the detailed Ownership review and experience!
Old 12th February 2011, 14:25   #43

used 2007-08 BMW5series / Eclass Diesel?

i have been thinking for quite some time now still haven't been able to make up mind between a used 5series or a e class:
Models being considered 2007 upwards.

Currently using a Innova,
past stared driving in Maruti Gypsy, shifted to Tata Sierra Turbo, then to Mahindra Scorpio, currently Innova.
Suv's have always been my first choice but the pocket just does not manage it. (luxury suv's to expensive)

so shifting to a sedan, usage would be about 50kms per day city, hence the diesel option and its going to be self driven’’

apart from the above to used option i am negotiating with the Audi dealer for a good discount on A6. So the confusion is only increasing, kindly advise/suggest and oblige.

Note from Team-BHP Support : Post edited as it contained various [FONT] tags. Posting with such text formatting should be avoided on Team-BHP as it is inconvenient for members to read the post.

Please go through our Rules before proceeding.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 12th February 2011 at 19:36. Reason: HTML tags edited.
Old 12th February 2011, 17:28   #44
Senior - BHPian

Re: used 2007-08 BMW5series / Eclass Diesel?

To me its a no contest. BMW 5 diesel if you can get a good bargain is the car to go for.

Merc of the era are not upto the mark as you might have noticed while reading the complete forum regarding the Teutons.

All the best.
Old 12th February 2011, 20:35   #45
Senior - BHPian

Re: used 2007-08 BMW5series / Eclass Diesel?

IF you get a 3.0L A6 Quattro at a good discount. Just go for it. I can vouch for it's performance, and it is loaded to the gills. AND a performer to the hilt. A close second would be the 530d - this is just my opinion.

Drive both & see what YOU like

Cheers

Last edited by Ricky_63 : 12th February 2011 at 20:36.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks