Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

Search this Thread
Old 28th January 2011, 23:09   #1
BHPian

Buying a used Mercedes S-Class

Recently my dad decided to buy a used W 221 Mercedes S class.
Before the purchase there are some things which bother me. I have heard that these cars cost a bomb to maintain , I have heard that the 20k KMS service for the S class alone costs around Rs 3l!
My dad has seen a 2006 white S 350 with 27k on the odo and wants to buy it.
The car has a cracked front bumper and the left headlamp is also broken. These damages will have to be repaired by us after the purchase .
Please tell me about the maintenance costs of the beast and I would also like to know about the cost of the above mentioned parts.
Should we go ahead and buy the car?

Last edited by aditya_911 : 28th January 2011 at 23:43.
Old 29th January 2011, 15:06   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Buying a Used S class

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya_911 View Post
Recently my dad decided to buy a used W 221 Mercedes S class.
Before the purchase there are some things which bother me. I have heard that these cars cost a bomb to maintain , I have heard that the 20k KMS service for the S class alone costs around Rs 3l!
My dad has seen a 2006 white S 350 with 27k on the odo and wants to buy it.
The car has a cracked front bumper and the left headlamp is also broken. These damages will have to be repaired by us after the purchase .
Please tell me about the maintenance costs of the beast and I would also like to know about the cost of the above mentioned parts.
Should we go ahead and buy the car?
If the owner agrees to, please get the vehicle checked by the authorised dealer. That would enable you determine
1. Service history.
2. Cost of repairs to bring it upto mark.
3. Cost of regular service including consumables.
4. Estimated repair costs for various component that usually require replacement with time.

Major money sink for these cars are AC, Suspension and minor accident repairs (mirror, lights etc).
Old 29th January 2011, 15:10   #3
Senior - BHPian

What is the asking price on the car? These cars really dont have much resale value. Do a complete check on the car from Mercedes before you take the plunge. Parts are not cheap and that includes headlamps so do keep in mind these costs before you put your money down. Sometimes its good to have an excellent indepedent and reputed mechanic to look after these cars.
Old 29th January 2011, 15:48   #4
BHPian

The asking price is Rs40L and the car has third party insurance . The car will run about 3-3.5k KMS per month.
What will be the cost of a regular service from the A.S.S as my dad does not like to send his cars to Non authorized independent garages.
Old 29th January 2011, 15:48   #5
Senior - BHPian

Are you sure the W221 came in 2006?

Its not true to say that a 20k service costs 3L. I would like to have a chat with the person who handed you this crappy piece of advice. Obviously he has never owned a Mercedes.

Maintaing an S Class is relatively high but not so high and if the car is just 27k kms old, its almost brand new. Now for the price and the confirmation that you are not talking about a W220.
Old 29th January 2011, 17:29   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Are you sure the W221 came in 2006?
Yes Gogi the W221 came in 2006. A friend has an August 2006 model which is a CBU
Old 29th January 2011, 18:52   #7
BHPian

Re: Buying a used Mercedes S-Class

V-16 I read it on "Is a Mercedes C, E or S Class worth the money???" thread that the 20k KMS service costs Rs3L.
Yes the W221 came in 2006 and the one which my dad has seen is an October 2006 model.
Old 29th January 2011, 19:06   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
There's a saying that if you are bothered about the maintenance costs, then an S-Class isn't for you. This sedan is the world's best luxury car and is packed to the gill with gizmos & technology. Merc's problematic implementation of electronics is well documented on the forum, and the many mechanical parts will suffer from wear & tear (and thus, require replacement).

Here's my suggestion : Your Dad expects to use the car for 3,500 kms a month and his budget is in the region of 40 lakhs. What cars do you own currently? The reason I ask is, if you don't already have an E-Class or 5 series, better to buy a brand new one. Believe me, these cars are extremely competent and will give you all the luxury you want.

The main reason is : With a new Merc, you'll get a 3 / 4 year warranty, where as with the BMW, you can choose a 5 year all-inclusive maintenance plan.

Tip : Choose diesel.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2011, 19:19   #9
BHPian

My dad currently uses a 2005 Accord V6 . The budget is Rs50L at max and he does not like the E or the 5 because the dimensions more or less same as the Accord.
He is not going in for the diesel motor because of the poor quality of fuel which is available in our country .
Old 29th January 2011, 21:01   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My dad currently uses a 2005 Accord V6 . The budget is Rs50L at max and he does not like the E or the 5 because the dimensions more or less same as the Accord.
He is not going in for the diesel motor because of the poor quality of fuel which is available in our country .
There are a lot of Mercedes and BMW running on Indian diesel, and fuel related problems are extremely rare. All of them have been traced to adulterated fuel filled in suspect highway stations. If you use a reliable filling station there should be no problems with diesel.

If I am not wrong the petrol S350 uses a high compression engine. So you may have to use 97 octane fuel which is twice the cost of diesel. That coupled with low milage of 5 or less will ensure very high fuel bills on your 3k km per month usage.

The price difference between the petrol and diesel is less than a lac ex-showroom.
Old 29th January 2011, 23:15   #11
BHPian

A S350 with a broken headlamp and a 3rd party insurance? Sounds out of place to me.
I'm pretty sure if you look around you can find cleaner examples at similar price. And with similar miles on the odo.
Old 29th January 2011, 23:26   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hes going to get a shock with the jump in maintenance after the Accord. Not so much with the mileage though.

Have a look at carwale, I think you can get a better deal. If a person could manage to break a headlamp on the S I dont think it would have been treated well at all. You can get newer models run much less km for just a couple more lacs.
Old 29th January 2011, 23:42   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It appears that your dad has decided to make the plunge. But before that
tell your dad about the views expressed by connoisseurs like GTO regarding the maintenance and other aspects. Comparing size alone should not be the sole criterion for selection. Definitely there is more to an E class or 5 series than the Accord.

So think not twice, but umpteen times before the decisive step.

Last edited by rajeev k : 29th January 2011 at 23:45.
Old 30th January 2011, 01:15   #14
BHPian

Akshay , the car is owned by my dad's friend and the car is chauffeur driven.
The reason for sale is that he has no space to park it. The headlamp and the bumpe were broken recently when it was parked outside his house

Rajeev , He is sitting ready with his cheque book and I am the only force which is stopping him.
Old 30th January 2011, 08:36   #15
Senior - BHPian

if you are spending 40L and upgrading from an accord - its best you put in about 10% more take a look at a new 5 (530d - 45.9), E (350CDi - 49.9) or even the Jag (XF3.0D - 48.5). Given your monthly 3-3500kms - diesel mills are good for the long haul and more environmentally friendly.

Simply put - new cars will come with inherently less headaches, and also the much revived resale value.

You must remember- you are buying a 5 year old car and you are concerned about maintenance - its best you put the 40 into a new car.

Also - What does'nt make sense is that for the last 5 years the seller had parking - now suddenly there is no parking? (Flag 1) and a car that expensive running on 3rd party insurance? (Flag 2).

Last edited by madan80 : 30th January 2011 at 08:40. Reason: added Jag

Most Viewed