Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2011, 12:04   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: Is there a better driver's car than a 320d for under 28 lacs ex show room in Mum

Will the X1 fit in here?
Or else my vote is for the current 320d. Even though new 3 should get to India in less than an year, the fun-to-drive factor maybe a bit less in the upcoming version (looking the at way they progressed with the new 5) - just my personal opinion.
Old 6th February 2011, 16:12   #17
BHPian

Re: Is there a better driver's car than a 320d for under 28 lacs ex show room in Mum

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
While you are considering the Germans, why not take a TD of the Kizashi? Yeah it's a 'Maruti' but no harm in driving it
I had a Baleno long time back. I loved it. So Kizashi will be in my list. The Popular Mechanics comparison rated it high on grip, slalom, highway passing.
Waiting to see what trims will be available.
Old 6th February 2011, 18:34   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravich View Post
I had a Baleno long time back. I loved it. So Kizashi will be in my list. The Popular Mechanics comparison rated it high on grip, slalom, highway passing.
Only one trim in the Kizashi. Choice between MT and a CVT.
Old 6th February 2011, 19:23   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you loved the Baleno, Kizashi may be for you, and you are not stuck with run flat tyres!

My son did Delhi to Bangalore in his Baleno in two days flat two years ago in summer, and that speaks volume for its drivability.
Old 6th February 2011, 20:23   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Ravich- the 530d is THE choice! Don't worry about the proportion I throw my 5er around like a z4 without a problem. If you can get you other constraints sorted go for it!

The Superb v6 is fire on wheels. I have the 1.8 and trust me it's proportions just look big on the outside, the car is not bad to throw around corners either. About the v6, all I can say is that I have been whipped by it in my 525d ! So rest assured it's one heck of an engine.
Old 6th February 2011, 20:46   #21
BHPian

^^adding to Sahil's opinion, Superb V6 comes with the same AWD tech as with Audi. Problem though is high fuel consumption added with rising fuel prices and possible reliability issues compared with TSI's.

The new Merc C has the RWD along with good body control and comfort. Compromise is only with steering feel due to EPS, definitely worth a try and fits your requirement IMO.
Old 6th February 2011, 21:56   #22
Senior - BHPian

Let me just contribute here with something I heard from a friend's friend. He says the FE of his Superb 3.6 V6 was poorer than the FE his XF-R was giving. Brace yourself for that if you're going to go with the Superb 3.6 V6.
Old 6th February 2011, 22:34   #23
Team-BHP Support

Why hasn't anyone recommended the Fiat Linea T-JET?
Old 9th February 2011, 18:40   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Do you believe with the suspension mods and possibly a Laura TSi will be as fun to drive as a rear wheel drive 320i or 320d CE with the near 50: 50 balance? I have not driven the BMW enough or anywhere near the edge of fun to make an educated guess!
I think it will be a different type of fun because it a lighter car and turbo petrol where you can enjoy torque and hi revs but depends on what youlike

In a 320i petrol you will enjoy the handling but small engine in big car means you need to work the engine hard even to make decent progress. To add insult to injury, it comes with AT only. I would leave it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
That would mean too much money left over.

Last edited by Mpower : 9th February 2011 at 18:42.
Old 9th February 2011, 19:25   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
I agree

Based on GTO's review, the T-Jet sure seems like a fun car to drive around. Mod it well, and you might be able to extract a lot more power out of it as well.

But then again, will it be as much fun as a rear wheel drive BMW?
Old 9th February 2011, 23:27   #26
BHPian

there is no doubt that 320d is more fun to drive than 320.but is it better than 325 also?
Old 10th February 2011, 10:23   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procircuit_234 View Post
there is no doubt that 320d is more fun to drive than 320.but is it better than 325 also?

You mean 330i right ? 325i has been discontinued.
Again i would say depends on what kind of thrill do you prefer.
If you are a fan of revving to the end of the world, the sweet note of the engine at those high rpms and the aggression it derives, then its the turbo petrols anyday i.e the 330i

On the other hand, the low end torque of the diesels is to die for and the fall back in your seat feeling it gives is absolutely addictive. There is a long list of people here who have permenantely shifted to diesels after experiencing the push back and launch feeling of the oil-burner's low end torque ,me being 1 of them.
IMHO, high end petrols like the 330i,3.2fsi are quite redundant given the thrills the oil-burners provide and in some cases they are fairly QUICKER than their petrol sibblings,not to mention the difference in fuel rates. So unless its an M/RS/AMG, petrols seem to be pointless.
Old 15th February 2011, 18:34   #28
BHPian

If bmw 2012 was not around the corner, i would suggest you to go for the current one any time. But newer model in the line changes things. I drive a 335i 2dr in States and i can say from personal experience that bmw has the best driving dynamics. Even a quattro audi is not comparable to the driving stability of a bimmer. And an Audi 2.0 tdi is just a passat, jetta or laura's heart with an Audi's body and . C is a cool car but it still doesnot match up to the bimmer. I am probably biased towards bimmer but trust me it is supported by my experience with all three cars. If i were to tell you the order of my preference.

1. Wait for the new 3er
2. Buy a c (if you have to make your decision now)
3. Buy a 320d
4. Audi 3.0tdi(which will cost a lot more, no point in buying 2.0tdi- you'd rather buy a laura or jetta or passat)
Old 15th February 2011, 19:21   #29
BHPian

May be not relevant but the BMW X1 is right bang in the price category.

It might not be the ultimate driving machine but it surely is from the same stable
Old 15th February 2011, 19:58   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

I just saw a black X1 going in the opposite direction...

I must say it's nowhere near a classic BMW sedan (purely an impression from the first looks).

From a practical point of view X1 is great thing for our amrket - a high quality SUV in the range of Xtrail and Fortuner, etc....

But speaking from heart - BMW should not have lauched it (or X3 or X5, for that matter...)

A BMW should be a sedan - always :-)
<No offence meant - just take it in the right spirit...>
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks