Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2011, 00:11   #1
BHPian

Is there a better driver's car than a 320d for under 28 lacs ex show room in Mumbai?

Here's the situation:
Hard limit of 28 lacs ex show room (Mumbai) price. Company purchase. Can't go higher even with personal funds.
Only criteria ( my personal criteria): It must be truly a driver's car. Not particularly worried about resale, nor concerned about snob value. Body roll, lifeless steering out. Want rear wheel drive. Must be quick (0 to 100 < 8 sec ). Want a manual if available.
Is there anything better than a 320d in India at this price point? I understand the Corporate edition is much lower.
What is the best deal I can get on any car that meets most of my needs ?
I know this is a beaten topic but price points seem to have changed in the last 6 months . I would value your diverse perspectives on this.
Thanks in advance.
Ravi
Old 5th February 2011, 18:31   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Is there a better driver's car than a 320d for under 28 lacs ex show room in Mum

Personally, to me, a manual, modified car like the Laura TSI or the Civic would be way more fun to drive. I just have that thing for a slick shifting manual. That aside however, yes, it is the 3 series that's got the best chassis behaviour & handling this side of 28 lakhs.

I'd still advice you to wait : The current 3 series is long in the tooth and on the way out globally. The 6th gen 3 series' launch is just around the corner. Better to buy the latest when spending so much.

Bad news for you : The currently sold 3 series lost its pure hydraulic steering in favour of an electric unit. Most probably, that's what you'll see in the next-gen 3 series too. I tested the 5 with BMW's EPS and didn't find it that bad. Still, not a patch on the feel of the hydraulic steerings of yore.

Alternatives : Superb 3.6 FSI or my choice = a pre-worshipped two year old BMW 530d with company warranty.
Old 5th February 2011, 18:59   #3
Senior - BHPian

Re: Is there a better driver's car than a 320d for under 28 lacs ex show room in Mum

Maybe a used 325i or a hardly used 330i will do it for you. Not only will it fit your price point but also it's a great handler, has a 0-100 of I think about 6.6 sec, and comes fully loaded with lots of equipment. My pick, if pre-owned is an option. Else, it's going to be a little difficult finding an RWD under 8 sec at that price.

Review's on the forum, have a look and see if it appeals to you.
Old 5th February 2011, 19:04   #4
Team-BHP Support

Will your company allow you used? If so then a used 530d makes sense, or I saw a 3k kms run 330i on carwale going for a steal. Check it out.

If it has to be a new car then an alternative like GTO mentioned is the Superb V6, which is pretty quick. But then will the petrol costs be fine?

Another option is wait till the 3 is being phased out, and get the 330i at a great price. Anyway they dont sell too much, so im quite sure 30l (not otr) will be possible.
Old 5th February 2011, 19:12   #5
v&v
Senior - BHPian

What come to mind is a Accord v6 3.5 or as GTO said Superb 3.6 Fsi 4x4 dsg
I think a peted fortuner to will be a good contender. Power + off-roader.
Old 5th February 2011, 19:20   #6
Senior - BHPian

If you are OK with modding, you can pick up a Laura Tsi LnK and then import suspension bits to turn it into an RS...and still be left with plenty of change.

otherwise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravich View Post
Here's the situation:
Hard limit of 28 lacs ex show room (Mumbai) price. Company purchase. Can't go higher even with personal funds.
Only criteria ( my personal criteria): It must be truly a driver's car. Not particularly worried about resale, nor concerned about snob value. Body roll, lifeless steering out. Want rear wheel drive. Must be quick (0 to 100 < 8 sec ). Want a manual if available.
Is there anything better than a 320d in India at this price point? I understand the Corporate edition is much lower.
The 320d CE is the only one that fits your budget other than the petrol 320i (which at 27.xx make full use of your company allowance). The 320d highline is around 31 and 330i petrol is 33.

Last edited by Mpower : 5th February 2011 at 19:21.
Old 5th February 2011, 19:33   #7
BHPian

If you absolutely decide to go for a RWD then 320d is your best option. Merc had the manual option in the C till last year.

If pre-owned, 530d is your best option. Just get the service package and bmw secure.
Old 5th February 2011, 20:00   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
If you are OK with modding, you can pick up a Laura Tsi LnK and then import suspension bits to turn it into an RS...and still be left with plenty of change.
He already owns a Laura TSI and even has an ownership report on the same. But yes, and many won't agree with me, yet I'll say that a modded Manual 1.8 TSI or Civic are more fun for me than an AT 320d.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingSpur View Post
Maybe a used 325i or a hardly used 330i will do it for you.
You seriously think? I was pretty underwhelmed after driving the 330i, overall as a package. It's quick...sure, and must be fun on fast ghats, but I really wouldn't enjoy using that car everyday.

@ Ravich : Our 330i review

Quote:
Originally Posted by v&v View Post
I think a peted fortuner to will be a good contender. Power + off-roader.
Sheesh! A body-on-frame Fortuner with its body roll is hardly fun to drive. Even a Swift 1.2 K series will leave it for dead on the twisties.

Last edited by GTO : 5th February 2011 at 20:01.
Old 5th February 2011, 20:45   #9
BHPian

Hi, since you already have a reasonably quick and fun to drive Laura TSI, why not something with a bit more luxury? What comes to my mind is a Merc C Class or an Audi A4 and both diesel. They are quick, more fuel efficient, lesser running cost and well balanced ride and handling package.

Otherwise, shortly Laura VRS will be launched and if the kit promised is true, then won't be priced less than 22 lacs ex-showroom IMO.

If BMW 320D is what you like, not a bad choice too but may get model-changed shortly.
Old 5th February 2011, 21:33   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

If it's only fun to drive factor that's tempting you to upgrade, Drop the 3 and get the TSi modded. With upgraded Suspension, Brakes, Tires and a Remap it will be even better to drive.

If looking for upgrade as in Luxury and Comfort, you won't find the Bimmer very pampering, it's almost the same size Inside(and Out), ride is even stiffer. The additional Badge value might be of some importance to you.

I seriously recommend you to wait for the 3 due next year, till then have fun with the TSi.
Old 6th February 2011, 05:16   #11
BHPian

Thanks for all your inputs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
... Drop the 3 and get the TSi modded....

If looking for upgrade as in Luxury and Comfort, you won't find the Bimmer very pampering,....I seriously recommend you to wait for the 3 due next year, till then have fun with the TSi.
Not sure if it will ever match the spirit of a rear wheel drive car and the balance of of a BMW . I am not really too focussed on luxury -but I can see your point. I have heard horror stories about the run flats. It is the AT and steering feel that GTO mentioned that I am worried about. I tried the 6 speed manual shift 318i ES (yes, I realize it is underpowered) in UK in the slow moving traffic in Cambridge and found it promising.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v.anand View Post
...What comes to my mind is a Merc C Class or an Audi A4 and both diesel...
Otherwise, shortly Laura VRS will be launched...
In fact the Team-BHP opinions on Audi and Merc against the BMW in this price range was what I wanted out of this topic - I worded the title badly ! From reading the specs of Audi and Merc in this price range they did not seem like good prospects. My experiences with Merc have been less than flattering but they were too brief. Never driven an Audi. Audi All wheel drive seems priced out and the TFSI spec in this range is the same as Laura TSi's. vRS:- I really want a rear wheel drive car this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

...You seriously think? I was pretty underwhelmed after driving the 330i, overall as a package. It's quick...sure, and must be fun on fast ghats, but I really wouldn't enjoy using that car everyday.
This is a surprise indeed. 330i not meeting your expectations !. I will read the review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fre2bpowerless View Post
...If pre-owned, 530d is your best option...
Slightly too big for spirited driving (?) . Company policy and price range constraints as well ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
If you are OK with modding, you can pick up a Laura Tsi LnK ...
The 320d CE is the only one that fits your budget other than the petrol 320i (which at 27.xx make full use of your company allowance). .
Do you believe with the suspension mods and possibly a Laura TSi will be as fun to drive as a rear wheel drive 320i or 320d CE with the near 50: 50 balance? I have not driven the BMW enough or anywhere near the edge of fun to make an educated guess- that is the reason for this topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
...I saw a 3k kms run 330i on carwale going for a steal. Check it out.

...If it has to be a new car then an alternative like GTO mentioned is the Superb V6, which is pretty quick...?

... get the 330i at a great price...
Will certainly checkout the 330i if co. rule allow preowned cars. Superb- sorry - the proportions never appealed to me .. purely personal preference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingSpur View Post
Maybe a used 325i or a hardly used 330i will do it for you...
That seems to be the general concensus !

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Personally, to me, a manual, modified car like the Laura TSI or the Civic would be way more fun to drive. I just have that thing for a slick shifting manual...
I'd still advice you to wait : The current 3 series is long in the tooth and on the way out globally.
...Bad news for you : The currently sold 3 series lost its pure hydraulic steering in favour of an electric unit...
Slick shifting manual - yes indeed. Add steering feel and grip. There are very few pleasures to match a spirited drive on a winding road in a car with these qualities.

I will keep you all posted on my personal exploration of what is a good drivers car amongst these recommendations.

I also intend to do some incremental mods on the TSi - just bought a Ross-Tech VAG cable... Will post my initial experiences.
Thank you !
Old 6th February 2011, 07:41   #12
BHPian

Isn't the Laura RS around the corner ?
Old 6th February 2011, 09:15   #13
Senior - BHPian

One of my friend test drove 320 and he did not like it compared to couple of other cars he drove, like the Passat. He says there are better driver's car than 320d in that price range and that 320d is a compromise.

Last edited by clevermax : 6th February 2011 at 09:17.
Old 6th February 2011, 10:55   #14
Senior - BHPian

While you are considering the Germans, why not take a TD of the Kizashi? Yeah it's a 'Maruti' but no harm in driving it
Old 6th February 2011, 11:41   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravich View Post

Will certainly checkout the 330i if co. rule allow preowned cars. Superb- sorry - the proportions never appealed to me .. purely personal preference.

Too bad about the Superb. Maybe a drive will change your mind.

The Audi A4 2.0tfsi might just fit into your range, its best to go to the showroom and check it out. That car is quick but again a front wheel drive. The only rear wheel drive options are the Bimmers, and please avoid the 320i. It will feel like a snail after your tsi.

Why not just do up your tsi? I mean you can easily take it upto 220-230 bhp (much more but first stage is this much) with a remap. Get maybe the Vrs bodykit and seats. Also upsize your rims and tyres and get suspension mods. Totally these would run you about 4 lacs maybe more. But then you will be happy for a few years.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks