Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2011, 01:31   #1

BMW M3 convertible or Z4

hey friends,

am looking at buying one of the above BMW M3 or Z4.

Wud appreciate your views/ feedback on the below points.

1. Prevailing discounts on these cars.? I heard that as these cars reach the end of their 5 year cycle the dealers do give handsome discounts on them to clear stock. Also please suggest tips/ways/ experiences to negotiate better with the dealer.

2. Maintainance cost and practicality of these cars for everyday driving.which of these is a better drivers car and more fun to drive.

Await your views or any special tips to keep in mind or to avoid, while buying this car.

Thank u
Old 23rd February 2011, 11:17   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: BMW M3 convertible or Z4

The question is between 4 seater and 2 seater. If you dont mind the absence of rear space you should look at the Z4.

But the fun factor of driving a M3 will never be the same with Z4. Personally the M3 has better interiors.

Practicality - M3
Drivers car - M3
Fun to Drive - Almost the same, yet a major segment will prefer the M3 over the Z4 for driving fun.
Old 23rd February 2011, 14:06   #3
BHPian

>>>

Kartik9500,

M3

Regards, drive safe

P.S. :

1. If you prefer to drive a wolf in sheep's clothing and are not concerned about form over function

2. Please check with Parsoli Motors that you get the latest engine/transmission/steering combo if you opt for the M3 :

Engine Displacement Power Torque Redline
S65B40 3999 cc 309 kW (426 PS) @ 8300 400 N·m @ 3900 8400

The M-DCT is a next gen transmission and is a tad quicker that the M-DKG.

3. This is what the definitive Motor Trend's correspondent had to say -

"World's single greatest car? Seriously? Yes -- the new BMW M3 is unquestionably a contender. Probably no other car combines so many virtues -- speed, handling, good looks, roominess, practicality -- into one package. Driving the new BMW M3 is an absolutely blissful experience, flooding your brain with dopamine as if you were arriving to courtside seats at the Lakers game with Jennifer Connelly on your arm." -and- "If you put an F1 car and a premium sedan in a blender, the M3 would be the cocktail that pours out. Mmmm, nothing else like it. A toast then: To the BMW M3, the greatest all-around car in the world."

QED
Old 23rd February 2011, 14:34   #4
BHPian

Forget everything and go for M3 coupe. Its the ultimate dream machine for any driver!
Old 23rd February 2011, 15:35   #5
BHPian

Note from Team-BHP Support : Post deleted. Please refrain from posting one-liners.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 23rd February 2011 at 16:04. Reason: See Moderator note in post.
Old 23rd February 2011, 15:51   #6
BHPian

I really think they belong to different segments and are intended for different uses. But car for car [assuming it the only car in the garage- highly unlikely] the M3 is a much better choice.
How often would you get a chance to drop the roof in Indian conditions with the sun beating down and the dust blowing everywhere.

That said, the Z4 is an awesome weekend getaway car [never driven one].

P.S. How safe are soft tops in India? I would be worried sick about my car at some of the places I travel
Old 23rd February 2011, 16:16   #7
Senior - BHPian

They are not even comparable. The USP of the Z4 is just the fact that its a convertible with decent performance. The M3 on the other hand is meant purely for extreme performance. The prices are drastically different too. The Z4 goes for around 57 ex showroom while the M3 goes for close to 80.

Did you mean to compare the Z4-M to the M3? That would be a more logical comparison. However AFAIK the Z4-M has been phased out.

Between the vanilla Z4 and M3, the M3 walks over the Z4 in every possible way.
Old 23rd February 2011, 16:17   #8

Both are Folding Metal Roofs. The Z4 is not a Soft top anymore.

Both are fantastic, although the M3 does have the edge in most departments apart from the looks factor. Also, the M3 is slightly more discreet so more usable. But, the Z4 is cheaper. Your call IMHO. Do also look at the Cayman.
Old 24th February 2011, 07:47   #9
Senior - BHPian

420 bhp vs 306 bhp
A serious performance sedan vs more of a showman's roadster
Both are pretty good looking for me but all said and done its an easy pick.
The M3 eats the Z4 for breakfast,lunch & dinner with supper,brunch and a midnight snack somewhere in between
PlatzdaTurbo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2011, 09:36   #10
BANNED

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 26th February 2011 at 10:39. Reason: See Moderator note in post.
taranonline is offline   Received Infraction
Old 24th February 2011, 09:44   #11
Senior - BHPian

Personally i would go for the z4.
I love the looks and prefer a 2 seater sports car type.
But even more personally.
I would go for the porsche cayman. Love the iconic looks. Porsche has launched a new cayman r.
Regarding service and costs. If you consider the price of these beauties their maintainence costs are not that high. Its only reliability in indian driving conditions that i am worried about.
I have seen rubber knobs of ac controls melt and deform due to parking out in the sun in indian summers.
Good luck with your purchase decision. And choose from the heart not the head for this. You can never go wrong this way. Remember its a very passionate segment you are choosing from, so it should strike that chord in your heart.
Old 24th February 2011, 11:40   #12
Senior - BHPian

White/Black M3, or there is a blue shade posted in imports-kerala thread! awesome car. I have a dream to own an M3 and working towards it :-)

Close your eyes and go for M3.
Old 24th February 2011, 12:58   #13
BHPian

this is a no brainer, M3 coupe-covertible all the way, the roadster aint a bad looker, but the 400 horses are way better..
Old 24th February 2011, 13:43   #14
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

The M3 is a bit more masculine but then the Z4 is not really for chicks as taran said. It is rather one of the finest roadsters available off the shelf in the subcontinent.

But given a choice between the Z4 and M3 convertible, its M3 all the way. Four seats, 414 bhp of raw power and infinite sex appeal. Go for the M3 convertible in some attractive color shade like Blue and later get an Eisenmann exhaust or something equivalent. It is definitely cash well spent. Total paisa vasool. Get your ride soon and do keep us updated.

Happy motoring.
Old 24th February 2011, 22:54   #15
BHPian

Get a white M3 and later put on Eisenmann exhaust...and you will be ready to roll

Most Viewed