Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2011, 21:05   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: Range Rover Supercharged or Porsche Cayenne S or Audi Q7

Very honestly, if its a Cayenne S then it will not match up to the raw power of the Rangie Supercharged. Sure the Cayenne feels more sporty, and has better handling (how often will you throw it around a track anyway?), but still the 500bhp V8 of the Range will thrill you more on the road.

Are you in Dubai or the US? If DXB then its gotta be the Range since its better than the Cayenne or the Q7 offroad. You can go dune bashing.

One more thing ive noticed about the Range, like you said there is wind noise but thats only when accelerating. Once you maintain the speed it seems much less.
Old 22nd March 2011, 01:29   #17

Dear Akshay,

presently I am in DXB.

The Range Rover can do hardcore sand dune bashing and wadi drives but the Porche cayenne is also not far behind.They have a video on you tube where the new Cayenne S 2011 model doing really good dune bashing. Surprising ......but the way the cars are going it looks they could even beat the landcruiser.

This week Iwill try to rent a Porche Cayenne for full one week and would see if i am satisfied with the car.

Range Rover is good but the interior quality,Road noise,Very high price ....are all negative.

But lets see next weekend.
Old 25th March 2011, 13:42   #18
Senior - BHPian

I'd recommend G55 or Cayenne S.
Old 26th May 2011, 14:53   #19
BHPian

Its just the matter of
how much money you want to spend now
how much after you buy the car
and any additional brand value or status

RR for that status symbol all the money and it will do everything for you in return.

Audi and Porsche is from the same VW group

Porsche is an uprated version of the Q7

if your are coming down to Q7 you have other options from Volvo, Toyota and Nissan.

You can also check the Ferrari or BMWs if looking for Porche...
Old 26th May 2011, 15:06   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarCzar View Post
RR for that status symbol all the money and it will do everything for you in return....
It will definitely do that and much more that can exist on this planet

Quote:

Porsche is an uprated version of the Q7....
I am not sure about this one to be true just because they belong to same group? Can you please elaborate this one.

Quote:
if your are coming down to Q7 you have other options from Volvo, Toyota and Nissan....
True, but they wont offer equivalent level of luxury like a Rangie or Cayene or a Q7. Experts can comment here definitely

Quote:
You can also check the Ferrari or BMWs if looking for Porche...
Does ferrari have a SUV/Offroader in its range? How come I missed on that Or you suggesting using a ferrari for dune bashing??
Old 26th May 2011, 19:23   #21
Senior - BHPian

For sheer presence coupled with legendary toughness nothing comes near the MB G55 AMG. The 0-60 acceleration of 5.5 sec is in sports car league.
Mercedes-AMG Official Global Website
Old 26th May 2011, 19:27   #22
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

If one had the money to spend, is it even possible to beat the sheer aristocratic luxury and bespoke quality of the big Supercharged Rangie.
Thats a vehicle one would buy with one's heart despite the raucous, ruffianly techno-babble surrounding the Cayenne and the Q7.
One simply cant compare the Cayenne and Q7 in emotional connect terms, to something like the Rangie.
The Rangie has soul, the others lack it!
Sorry and all that, but there it is, in a nutshell.
Old 26th May 2011, 21:10   #23
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
If one had the money to spend, is it even possible to beat the sheer aristocratic luxury and bespoke quality of the big Supercharged Rangie.
Thats a vehicle one would buy with one's heart despite the raucous, ruffianly techno-babble surrounding the Cayenne and the Q7.
One simply cant compare the Cayenne and Q7 in emotional connect terms, to something like the Rangie.
The Rangie has soul, the others lack it!
Sorry and all that, but there it is, in a nutshell.
Exactly... the x factor, the class. I am the biggest Range Rover fan and love the RR Sport mostly because of the subtle wheel arches.
Old 26th May 2011, 21:58   #24
BHPian

Well. For the price you pay for these cars, even in Dubai, you wouldn't want to take them dune-bashing and have your whole car messed up. On the price point, the RR Sport, in basic trim is approx AED 325000 and the RR Classic Supercharged in Vogue trim would be in the range of AED 450000. But the sport is more an on road car and not very good off-road, especially if looking at the HST trim with the full body-kit at 21" rims. The classic would be a better bet if you are looking at off-road prowess. But again, do you feel comfortable taking a car that costs half-a-million AED in the desert. I would rather take the 300 AED desert safari where the guy bashes dunes in an LC with no worries about cost.

Coming to the Q7 vs. Cayenne. Q7 4.2 is definitely a good deal. In fact, the recently launched 3.0 also seems pretty good. Look for a good pre-owned deal from Ali and Sons, Abu Dhabi. They had a page in the Wheels magazine a few weeks ago on a Q7 3.0 with a couple of hundred kms on the odo. These will be much cheaper than a brand new one.
Cayenne, the Cayenne S would be the best bet. Its the perfect compromise between price and power. It doesn't offer a 7-seat option IMHO.

Another car you could look at is the BMW X5 x-drive50i. It does fall in your budget, considering the kind of cars you are looking at. It can also be ordered with a 7-seater option. And you get a 5yr/100000 km warranty and service package.

The G55 Benz would be the killer, but a friend of a friend recently purchased one for AED 595000. There is only one spec, but hey, its a fully loaded rocket. Have a look at pre-owned examples from Gargash and EMC. Also bear in mind that used G55's do hold their value well. I recently saw a 2005 example with a friend for AED 250000 on the used market.

Lastly, if I were spending this kind of money, i.e. in the range of AED 400000, I would buy a 2008 Range Rover Vogue Supercharged for around AED 250000. Take aside another 20000 for immediate repairs, mods like rims,etc and cleaning/polishing/detailing. The remaining money, I would buy a 2003/4 Nissan Patrol 4800cc and modify it for off-road use. Just a suggestion.
Old 26th May 2011, 22:17   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
For sheer presence coupled with legendary toughness nothing comes near the MB G55 AMG. The 0-60 acceleration of 5.5 sec is in sports car league.
Mercedes-AMG Official Global Website

This is the option to go for and well honestly the AMG version is a bit of a showboat, which is what you seem to be after, the standard spec alone is a class apart and gets me drooling.
Old 27th May 2011, 13:52   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoHoncho View Post

I am not sure about this one to be true just because they belong to same group? Can you please elaborate this one.

True, but they wont offer equivalent level of luxury like a Rangie or Cayene or a Q7. Experts can comment here definitely

Does ferrari have a SUV/Offroader in its range? How come I missed on that Or you suggesting using a ferrari for dune bashing??
Speculation: Ferrari FS 599 Fuoristrada SUV
Old 27th May 2011, 14:22   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoHoncho View Post

2011 Audi Q7 vs. 2011 Porsche Cayenne Review

Comparison Review

Utility
One of the biggest differences between the two luxury SUVs is the Q7 has seating for up to seven occupants across three rows of seats while the Cayenne can seat up to five. Interior dimensions are roughly similar; however, the Cayenne offers much more luggage capacity at 19.1 cubic feet, while the Q7 has 10.9 cubic feet. Outside, the Q7 is longer, wider and taller than the Cayenne and has a longer wheelbase of 118.2 inches compared to the Cayenne's 112.4 inches. The Cayenne has slightly more ground clearance at 8.6 inches compared to the Q7's 8.1 inches. The Q7 offers more total cargo capacity with 73 cubic feet as opposed to the Cayenne's 63 cubic feet; however, the Cayenne can tow up to 7,716 pounds, while the Q7 can haul up to 6,600 pounds.

Performance
Both SUVs are available in all-wheel drive. The Cayenne can be equipped with a base 290-horsepower, 3.6-liter V-6 or five different versions of the same 4.8-liter V-8--putting out 385, 405, 500, 540 and 550 horses. Transmission choices include a six-speed automatic with auto-manual shift or a six-speed manual. Options include an adaptive air suspension with ride control; speed-sensitive, sport-tuned steering; a limited-slip differential and ceramic brakes. The Cayenne S gets the turbocharged V-8 with an output of 550 horses and can go from 0-60 in just 4.7 seconds. It also boasts Porsche's Dynamic Chassis Control, which features active suspension control, which limits body lean during sharp turns. The Q7 offers up three engine choices: a 221-horsepower, 3.0-liter V-6; 280-horsepower, 3.6-liter V-6; and a 350-horsepower, 4.2-liter V-8, each mated to a six-speed automatic transmission with auto-manual shift.

Fuel Economy
When measuring fuel efficiency, the Q7 has the edge with EPA estimated fuel economy ratings ranging between 13-17 mpg in the city and 18-25 mpg on the highway. The Cayenne ranges from 11-14 mpg in the city and 17-20 mpg on the highway. If you're concerned about your carbon footprint, the Q7 emits 12.2 tons of carbon annually. Emission ratings for the Cayenne have not yet been published.

Technology
The Cayenne features a power liftgate, power heated side mirrors, rain-sensing wipers with heated washer jets, an optional panoramic sunroof, headlight washers and adaptive bi-xenon headlights that turn in the direction you steer. Inside, the Cayenne offers leather seating, an optional 14-speaker Bose audio system, steering-wheel-mounted audio controls, heated front and rear seats and a navigation system. Audi's enhanced MMI infotainment system in the Q7 features voice activation, accepting audio commands for routing. The Q7 also features a TV tuner and 14-speaker stereo system with six-CD changer.

Safety
Both SUVs offer a host of active and passive safety features, including seat-mounted side-impact airbags for first and second rows, side curtain airbags for all three rows, antilock brakes, an electronic stability system and traction control. The Cayenne offers optional front and rear parking sensors and a backup camera. The Q7 adds a radar-supported adaptive cruise control, blind-spot sensor and a lane assistance program that ensures the SUV stays in its lane.

Other
For 2010, the Cayenne receives two limited-production models--the Cayenne S Transsyberia and GTS Design Edition 3. Transsyberia models are rally-inspired editions with Porsche's height-adjusting suspension and available roof-mounted auxiliary lights. The GTS Design Edition 3 is a cosmetic package that adds styling cues from Porsche's design team. The Q7 gets redesigned headlamps with LED daytime running lights and an optional cornering lighting system. The front turn-signal indicators and rear taillamps also now feature LEDs. The front and rear bumpers, grille and side mirrors have been revised.
Old 27th May 2011, 14:50   #28
Senior - BHPian

If you have the Moolah , anything with the Porsche badge is a blind choice. Porsche's are just amazing and it's about time i changed my avatar.
Old 27th May 2011, 16:18   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
For 2010, the Cayenne receives two limited-production models--the Cayenne S Transsyberia and GTS Design Edition 3. Transsyberia models are rally-inspired editions with Porsche's height-adjusting suspension and available roof-mounted auxiliary lights. The GTS Design Edition 3 is a .....
That is a comparison of the previous Cayenne. And you might as well quote the source where you got it from.

Quote:
And that, is a 2007 post. I don't think Ferrari will make an SUV anytime soon.
Old 30th May 2011, 10:52   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
And that, is a 2007 post. I don't think Ferrari will make an SUV anytime soon.
Most never thought Ferrari would ever make a 4 door either but it just did.

Every car maker is looking to capitalize on it's brand name and break the rules. Porsche did so and it was the best decision they ever made.
Who would have thought that Roll Royce would ever think of getting in diesel engines? But they did explore it.

Moving forward we will see several car makers break out of their shell. So a Ferrari SUV could defiantly be on the horizon or already on their drawing board.
Enthusiasts claim such moves dilute the brand and it's core values, maybe it does initially but eventually acceptability rises, I do not think Porsche lost brand value after the Cayanne.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks