Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2011, 02:20   #1

Range Rover Supercharged or Porsche Cayenne S or Audi Q7

Writing guys after a very long time.Things had been very turbulent in Dubai for the last 3 years for the business projects and yours truly was also busy struggling to stay afloat.
Had earlier sold my land cruiser and was contented or should I say compromised with the old trusted Merc E240 W210.For the Last painful years when ever was on the road was only ogling at the new cars and was cursing the buffoons at USA who caused the biggest economic downturn and misery for us.

Cars have fascinated all of us and I believe that buying the next higher model had been a big driving force to perform better and better for me.To cut myself short,now things have taken a positive turn and things are looking slightly better here.

Once i managed to convince my wife that the US economy is on the right track and the bad old days are gone I started looking around for a premium SUV. I took the test drive of the new 2011 Range rover sport HSE.The sales guy was very cooperative and immediately arranged the test drive.I test drove for around 30 minutes but felt that such a heavy vehicle is under powered.Also the tyre noise is very prominent and you don't feel relaxed and comfortable at high speed.Interiors were good and at par with Merc but the high speed stability,road noise and slow thottle response forced me to return the car.The sales guy pushed me to test drive the supercharged version which is 500 BHP and next day arranged the car.The pick up of this Range Rover was mind blowing (reaching from 60 to150 was a breeze ......). I was very happy driving this but again not comfortable with the high speed stability and noise inside the cabin......Somehow i was not able to convince myself to spend my hard earned mullah on this car.The Range rover has a huge following in Dubai and is considered a premium SUV.
Decision:??

After a week of busy schedule while coming from Abu Dhabi I stopped at the Audi showroom and had a look at the Q7.The car was huge and a seven seater,though the last rows are fit for only children.Interiors are better than Range rover and price is much below the supercharged version.Also they are offering 5 years 100000km full service/warranty package.Deal looked attractive and walked out of the showroom planning for a test drive.

Last 2 ~3 days was thinking about finalising the Audi when a friend of mine suggested the Cayenne S.Yesterday evening i went to their showroom and saw the new 2011 cayenne.
When i sat in the car i was blown over by the quality of the interiors.In my opinion they are way way ahead of Range rover ,Audi Q7 or Merc.

The options they have are mindblowing.The S is 400 HP and price is below the Range Rover SC.

Tomorrow I am test driving the new Cayenne S and will try to click some photographs and will update you but presently i feel this should be my next car.

Suggestions and advice are welcome.

Good night.
Old 19th March 2011, 12:43   #2
BHPian

re: Range Rover Supercharged or Porsche Cayenne S or Audi Q7

Sir,
If I had the choices you have and with the inputs you have provided my choices in order of preference would be:
1. Porsche Cayenne S.
2. Audi Q7.
3. Range Rover.

But if you are also looking at it from a certain amount of offroading perspective then my choices would be:
1. Range Rover.
2. Porsche Cayenne S.
3. Audi Q7.

Don't know whether this helps, just my POV.

regards
salil

Last edited by scphanse : 19th March 2011 at 12:43. Reason: Correcting Typos
Old 19th March 2011, 13:30   #3
Senior - BHPian

You haven't provided much insight on what are your priorities in the vehicle you are looking for.
The sportiest of the lot BY FAR would be the cayenne. People tend to forget they are driving a huge SUV while pushing the cayenne into corners,its that good. So for driving pleasure the Porsche without doubt gets the thumbs up.
The Range Rover is the most comfortable of the lot and also by some distance the most capable off-roader here IMO.
The Q7 just mauls other cars on the road with its sheer size and presence. The traffic literally makes way when the Q7 approaches
That apart its fully loaded, has great interiors,a good back seat with the optional individual bucket seat & entertainments packages and its pretty comfortable as well. While it wont provide you the driving pleasure a Cayenne provides (far from it) , the sheer feel of a commanding presence you get while steering it gives you a high.
Based on your priority list you can easily take a pick.
Good luck with your purchase.
Old 19th March 2011, 14:24   #4
BHPian

Close your eyes, go for a Posche Cayenne S Turbo~~

Nothing can even come closer....i have driven this and i can tell u hands down...its a winner!!
Old 19th March 2011, 16:01   #5
Senior - BHPian

I don't know how much extra a G Wagen costs, but the new supercharged version is the best of the lot, both off and on the road. For sheer presence nothing beats it. For the heck of it get a TD and then decide.
Old 19th March 2011, 16:59   #6
Team-BHP Support

Let me make this slightly harder for you. How about a Mercedes SUV? The GL-Class perhaps, or if you're feeling a bit adventurous, the new G55 will make you feel more like the Sheik himself!

You could look at the BMW X5 as well, it's quite a nice SUV.

From the list that you've made, I'd take the Range Rover. I'd like to believe that nothing has more presence than a Rangie. I'd go in for a proper Rangie though, not the Sport.
Old 19th March 2011, 17:33   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Let me make this slightly harder for you. How about a Mercedes SUV? The GL-Class perhaps, or if you're feeling a bit adventurous, the new G55 will make you feel more like the Sheik himself!

You could look at the BMW X5 as well, it's quite a nice SUV.

From the list that you've made, I'd take the Range Rover. I'd like to believe that nothing has more presence than a Rangie. I'd go in for a proper Rangie though, not the Sport.
I second Suhaas. The Merc GL class can intimidate a Range Rover and put an Audi Q7 to shame in terms of sheer road presence. The interiors are very well appointed and its very very comfortable.

It is also longer than the Audi Q7. IMO there are way too many Audi Q7's on the road now to feel truly exclusive.
Old 19th March 2011, 17:58   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel9999 View Post
I second Suhaas. The Merc GL class can intimidate a Range Rover and put an Audi Q7 to shame in terms of sheer road presence. The interiors are very well appointed and its very very comfortable.

It is also longer than the Audi Q7. IMO there are way too many Audi Q7's on the road now to feel truly exclusive.
Audi Q7 - Length- 5088mm
Mercedes GL - Length - 5095mm

Am pretty sure you might not have noticed the 7mm difference in length with your bare eyes right ? Unless you looked into stats like i did. Point is, does the 7mm extra length in the GL put the Q7 to shame ? I think not.
By those standards, - the Q7 at 1985mm is wider than the GL (1941mm)
Both look like brutes and are huge.You of course are entitled to your opinion but in no category is the Q7 put to shame by the Merc in terms of sheer size. They are more or less the same. Personally i prefer the look of the Q7 anyday but you are right when you say it is way too common. That can be 1 of the reasons to go for the Mercedes.

Last edited by PlatzdaTurbo : 19th March 2011 at 18:00.
Old 19th March 2011, 18:32   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatzdaTurbo View Post
Audi Q7 - Length- 5088mm
Mercedes GL - Length - 5095mm

Am pretty sure you might not have noticed the 7mm difference in length with your bare eyes right ? Unless you looked into stats like i did. Point is, does the 7mm extra length in the GL put the Q7 to shame ? I think not.
By those standards, - the Q7 at 1985mm is wider than the GL (1941mm)
Both look like brutes and are huge.You of course are entitled to your opinion but in no category is the Q7 put to shame by the Merc in terms of sheer size. They are more or less the same. Personally i prefer the look of the Q7 anyday but you are right when you say it is way too common. That can be 1 of the reasons to go for the Mercedes.
if you look at both the Q7 and the GL side by side in real life (not in pics), it does feel longer by a bigger margin. And I stand by what I said. The GL can really put the Q7 to shame in terms of sheer street presence. And this is not just because of the length alone. Its the overall appearance of the GL that strikes you.
Old 19th March 2011, 18:38   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel9999 View Post

GL doesnot have looks to intimidate the rover,Q7 or any full sized suv for that matter. The only thing it has is the size otherwise its a beefed up ML. And neither GL nor ML are head turner. If comfort is the priority then i believe no other suv can compete against GL and Q7.
For driving pleasure i would certainly recommend the X5 or even X6(which has a significant road presence) if offroading is not on your mind. But among the 3 options you haveprovided, i would certainly recommend rangerover. I am not a big fan of the cayenne looks like most people around the world. and i believe the Q7 is quite outdated (not as outdated as the rover but then Range rover is a classic).
Old 19th March 2011, 19:19   #11
Senior - BHPian

My pick?

Range Rover vogue 4.4 TD V8, 8 speed. Test drive it and you will just love that oodles of diesel torque and the superbly spaced transmission.
Old 19th March 2011, 21:45   #12
BHPian

The most reliable suv from that group, would be the Q7. It looks and feels very luxurious. The Porsche is nice, but it has a little stiff ride. The range i dont think is that reliable and after sales service sucks. Get the 4.2 TDI Q7 its powerful and its diesel.
Old 19th March 2011, 22:50   #13
BHPian

The supercharged is one of the most expensive. Almost double the cost of a Q7. If you want the power of an R jag, go for the supercharged. with 510 Bhp under you,you will go breathless. the new VOGUE SE is a better option IMO. 4.4 diesel V8 does churn out a lot of power. I have both, the Q7 and the VOGUE SE 4.4 V8 and a 3.6 V8. I'll advice you to take the Range. Any day !
Old 21st March 2011, 04:19   #14

Dear guys thanks for the advice. I went in the morning to the showroom for the test drive.The sales guy had arranged the car and was waiting for me.
After some routine discussion about the options in the car we went to inspect the car.

I was really again impressed by the interiors and the shape of the car.
I clicked some photographs and leave it to you all to decide and judge about the interiors.There is one photo of the showroom iteslf.

Range Rover Supercharged or Porsche Cayenne S or Audi Q7-img_0613.jpg

Range Rover Supercharged or Porsche Cayenne S or Audi Q7-img_0614.jpg

Range Rover Supercharged or Porsche Cayenne S or Audi Q7-img_0615.jpg

Range Rover Supercharged or Porsche Cayenne S or Audi Q7-img_0616.jpg

After sitting in the test drive car I was a little bit unconfortable . I found the view from inside not so airy and was feeling claustrophobic.It is no where like a Range Rover .(There you are sitting in a commanding position with HUGE glasses all around.)

I started and adjusted the mirrors and seats to my comfort but somehow the view was not so comfortable...
I turned the car towards the heavt traffic and merged seamlessly in the traffic.The lane assist indicators were very helpfull and a big safety feature.
The car was responding to the throttle like a rocket and there is absolutely no complain for the available power.

I drove for around 20 minutes and was a little confused with the final decision.

We returned to the showroom and again while parking, I found the view not so comfortable.(This version didn't had a reversing camera.) The camera is an abolute must in this car.

I left the showroom confused......Seems I would have to check the Range Rover SC sport again......or retest the car with more comfortable mindset....
Old 21st March 2011, 19:39   #15
Senior - BHPian

Re: Range Rover Supercharged or Porsche Cayenne S or Audi Q7

First, I must mention that you are in one enviable position

Secondly, you still left the forum to assume that you are looking at the concrete jungle conquerer SUV rather than doing a Paris Dakar.

My recommendation is Cayenne.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks