Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2011, 13:44   #16
BHPian

Re: Sell your new car and buy a 15 year old, does it make sense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb_jg View Post
Dude, you need to let me know your expectations. PM me, or text \ call me on 9860912711. I would really like to take a look at your car & make an offer.
I will, as soon as I decide to sell, I will give you a call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifer1881 View Post
A little late in the day to put forth an opinion, but here it goes anyway.

Of course it does not make sense to get a 15 year old car. But we are men. We are mad. Very few cars make our eyes light up like a child's on Christmas. To us a Lamboghini Gallardo poster is more seductive than 'that' Samantha Fox poster. If the W124 does it for you, go for it. Of course it is not practical. Of course you have to be prepared to rebuild the car during the course of your ownership. Of course it won't start just when you have a pressing appointment to keep.

But those days when it all comes together! When man and machine fuse in perfect harmony. When you unleash those horses on an open road. When that glorious sound of that engine is almost orgasmic. Those are the days that make it all worth it.
What man? you just kind of brought me back to my original confusion LOL :P
Old 26th May 2011, 14:46   #17
BHPian

Yes it does make sense,
if your so called old car is well maintained and in good running condition.
Check how original the car is,
what is the service history and updates/mods done.

You can even try getting a diesel since petrol rates are alwayss going to be up then diesel

You may not get few of the things that new technology offers
but then these new cars are not built to last as the oldies

The parts may be difficult if your car is a rare model S class kind or SLK etc

You should go for it and enjoy what you like driving
just keep in mind you maintain it well and it will not let you down.

Money wise your new car's value will go down more then the oldie.
there is sure some meaning in the proverb "Old is Gold"
Old 5th August 2011, 00:27   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by throttleking View Post
W124 has been my real favorite, and I have been contemplating to buy one after reading GTO’s thread “Cars under 6 lakhs for enthusiasts”. Since then have been looking for W124 in good condition. And now that I found few, I am really concerned if I should do this or not. Basically I cant buy W124 as a second car, so willing to sell my Magnum which is 3 year old, and planning to buy W124, which will be at least 15 year old. Another major difference is, Magnum is diesel and W124 which I liked are petrol. So while I will save some money after selling Magnum, but eventually I will end up spending more on petrol. Moreover, I need to use the car for daily commute as well as long tours. And I am not sure about maintenance and spares availability of W124. So the question is, does it really make sense to go for it?

Note : Mods, not sure if this thread should go to some other section.
@throttleking, can you please give me some pointers regarding the used W124s which u found in Bangalore. I am too on a lookout for used W124 petrol in Bangalore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravindra M View Post
Recently I bought a E250 W124 in Bangalore. Out of last 3 months of ownership, it spent initial 1 month in workshop for repairs and thereafter no troubles at all. My trustworthy Icon is since under wraps and I am planning to sell it off after next 2 months. I personally know a workshop owner so life is easy.

Bottomline is, you need to know a trustworthy mechanic who can take up the repairs as soon as problem is reported. It is a 15 year old and there are bound to be few niggles here and there. If you are able to manage few days without a car, then just go for it. Believe me, it is worth it. After many years I am living my dream owning a w124, the only regret is I should have gone for it much earlier.
@Ravindra M, you are the man!! I have been running all around this forum day in and day out asking for pointers to a good workshop in Bangalore to service used Mercs. I have not received any replies so far I am planning to buy a used W124 E220 and need to know a good independent garage to get her serviced regularly. Can you please share the details of the garage where you service your W124. That would be of great help.
Old 5th August 2011, 11:36   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd.bell View Post
@throttleking, can you please give me some pointers regarding the used W124s which u found in Bangalore. I am too on a lookout for used W124 petrol in Bangalore.
Sorry not in Bangalore but in 2 in Pune and one from Mumbai I have seen. In general, although they looked in great condition, in reality they were not. And upon inquiring I found that the cost repairs for even the smallest damage or faulty part was way too high. So I finally gave up the idea. I would still love to buy it, if I had that much extra money (as a second car).

Most Viewed