Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2011, 16:05   #1
BHPian

Sell your new car and buy a 15 year old, does it make sense?

W124 has been my real favorite, and I have been contemplating to buy one after reading GTO’s thread “Cars under 6 lakhs for enthusiasts”. Since then have been looking for W124 in good condition. And now that I found few, I am really concerned if I should do this or not. Basically I cant buy W124 as a second car, so willing to sell my Magnum which is 3 year old, and planning to buy W124, which will be at least 15 year old. Another major difference is, Magnum is diesel and W124 which I liked are petrol. So while I will save some money after selling Magnum, but eventually I will end up spending more on petrol. Moreover, I need to use the car for daily commute as well as long tours. And I am not sure about maintenance and spares availability of W124. So the question is, does it really make sense to go for it?

Note : Mods, not sure if this thread should go to some other section.
Old 23rd March 2011, 16:20   #2
BHPian

Re: Sell your new car and buy a 15 year old, does it make sense?

IMO, these car should be your second cars, you really cant be using them on a daily basis. But knowing that W124 was build to last, you can take the bet based on the service history of the vehicle shortlisted by you.

I would suggest you to get it checked at the local merc showroom.

Fuel costs will surely be on the higher side not to forget the cost of service and spares. Speak to Tbhpian owning a petrol W124 for a clear picture before jumping in.
Old 23rd March 2011, 16:30   #3
BHPian

I hope you understand that you are buying a white elephant.

Owning the W124 will prove expensive as the parts, service and fuel consumption will all be very expensive. Additionally, am not sure if all spare parts and service parts for the car will be readily available.

My advice: stick to the Optra. Buy this W124 as a second car if you must
Old 23rd March 2011, 16:37   #4
BHPian

Basically I cant buy W124 as a second car, so willing to sell my Magnum which is 3 year old.

Please do let me know when you decide to sell your Magnum.
Old 23rd March 2011, 16:39   #5
BANNED

I too was in the same dilemma a few months ago when I planned to sell Hariya and get myself a 13 yr old Pajero since that too is built to last and I have a passion for SUVs but decided against it for the following reasons:

1. A vehicle however old, is good if it has aged with only one owner. So while I would not mind my own W124 or Pajero being used for over a million kms/ten years etc, I would never go for a piece which has been used for so long by someone else.

2. The W124 is built to last but as it ages, its repair and upkeep costs will increase exponentially. How does 80k for a suspension overhaul sound(For the Pajero, whose Japanese spares are cheaper than that of the Merc)?

3. As my only drive, reliability reigns supreme. I cannot afford to spend time and $$$ on something which is that old and hence, can never be as good as new.

If I were you, I d buy it only as my second car if I had the money and the space for covered parking. Take your call.

MODS: PL move this thread to the "What Car" section.

Last edited by n.devdath : 23rd March 2011 at 16:46.
Old 23rd March 2011, 20:31   #6
BHPian

Recently I bought a E250 W124 in Bangalore. Out of last 3 months of ownership, it spent initial 1 month in workshop for repairs and thereafter no troubles at all. My trustworthy Icon is since under wraps and I am planning to sell it off after next 2 months. I personally know a workshop owner so life is easy.

Bottomline is, you need to know a trustworthy mechanic who can take up the repairs as soon as problem is reported. It is a 15 year old and there are bound to be few niggles here and there. If you are able to manage few days without a car, then just go for it. Believe me, it is worth it. After many years I am living my dream owning a w124, the only regret is I should have gone for it much earlier.
Old 24th March 2011, 12:27   #7
BHPian

Hi throttleking, i would also ,like the rest of people suggested , would suggest you to keep the car as a second car, as whatever you say the 124 would be a decade old and problems are bound to arise.

But also as ravindraM stated, knowing a cargarage helps too. i do own a w126 500 sel myself and use it to commute to office sometimes, but even though with all the luxury, the finesse and reliability of a recently engineered car wins hands down to a decade old product.
Old 24th March 2011, 16:50   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

I would place the W124 as only an "Enthusiast" car, and not a practical car. So as most suggested, its fit to be a 2nd car, for letting out all the stress at work. .

The main thing about the first car, atleast for me is reliability. With a 15 year old example, when compared to a 3 year old newer gen, the 3 year old wins hands down.

How about this: Sell your magnum, get a W124 and a cheap hatch for daily runs. This way you can satisfy the enthusiast in you, and also be 'practical'.

On daily runs you will be having to sacrifice the comfort of the magnum though.. but quite worth it, considering you get to drive the W124 every weekend.
Old 24th March 2011, 16:59   #9
BHPian

I am using a E220 (Petrol W124) as a daily driver. I am currently doing about 2000KM a month (new job at other end of town means the high miles). When I bought the car, I had not planned to use her as a daily driver, but current circumstances prevent me from buying an additional car. If you are doing high miles, definitely find a diesel w124. I don't cut on maintenance. The satisfaction of using a Mercedes as a daily driver is incomparable!
Old 24th March 2011, 17:47   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by throttleking View Post
W124 has been my real favorite, and I have been contemplating to buy one after reading GTO’s thread “Cars under 6 lakhs for enthusiasts”. Since then have been looking for W124 in good condition. And now that I found few, I am really concerned if I should do this or not. Basically I cant buy W124 as a second car, so willing to sell my Magnum which is 3 year old, and planning to buy W124, which will be at least 15 year old. Another major difference is, Magnum is diesel and W124 which I liked are petrol. So while I will save some money after selling Magnum, but eventually I will end up spending more on petrol. Moreover, I need to use the car for daily commute as well as long tours. And I am not sure about maintenance and spares availability of W124. So the question is, does it really make sense to go for it?

Note : Mods, not sure if this thread should go to some other section.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
I would place the W124 as only an "Enthusiast" car, and not a practical car. So as most suggested, its fit to be a 2nd car, for letting out all the stress at work. .

The main thing about the first car, atleast for me is reliability. With a 15 year old example, when compared to a 3 year old newer gen, the 3 year old wins hands down.

How about this: Sell your magnum, get a W124 and a cheap hatch for daily runs. This way you can satisfy the enthusiast in you, and also be 'practical'.
Hi throttleking,

So the badge has worked her magic on you through her many weapons. I think that most of the key concerns over a 15Year old vs a 3Year old have already been voiced here. But the face remains that the heart wants what the heart craves and the best solution for you would be to pick up that W124. But considering your plans, do look for a Diesel variant if you can, even if you may have to wait agonizingly for a well kept example to come up. At the end of the day, your heart and mind shall be at peace this way. And if you still aren't satisfied, then do as dhanush has suggested: pick up that E and then have a hatch to enjoy the best of your world

As for the maintenance aspect, do get in touch with a good mechanic. You can source your parts from the company itself or ask around on the forum for help. You truly won't go wrong.

Good luck and may you have your dream fulfilled
Old 24th March 2011, 21:31   #11
BHPian

So what does a 15 year old W124 cost?
Old 25th March 2011, 12:22   #12
BHPian

The first thing you will need to find is a trusted independent mechanic.
Parts are not really a problem if you are in delhi or mumbai.

Not much goes wrong in these cars, but when it does, you should change the part ASAP. No jugaad.

I use my car everyday as a daily driver. These cars are best when used everyday, because that way they remain healthy.

Fuel consumption can range from 6-13.5 kmpl, depending on driving style.

Remember, there is nothing more expensive than a cheap mercedes. So keep that in mind while making your purchase.
Old 28th March 2011, 14:47   #13
BHPian

Guys, many thanks for your responses. I have decided to put my desire on hold, doesnt make any sense to go for it now. Will have to get it as second car, if I can.

@mb_JG : Give me a best offer and I will sell it :P
@yaeJay : you can get it in a range of 2-5 lakhs depending on condition of the car.
Old 28th March 2011, 16:06   #14
BHPian

A little late in the day to put forth an opinion, but here it goes anyway.

Of course it does not make sense to get a 15 year old car. But we are men. We are mad. Very few cars make our eyes light up like a child's on Christmas. To us a Lamboghini Gallardo poster is more seductive than 'that' Samantha Fox poster. If the W124 does it for you, go for it. Of course it is not practical. Of course you have to be prepared to rebuild the car during the course of your ownership. Of course it won't start just when you have a pressing appointment to keep.

But those days when it all comes together! When man and machine fuse in perfect harmony. When you unleash those horses on an open road. When that glorious sound of that engine is almost orgasmic. Those are the days that make it all worth it.
Old 28th March 2011, 16:15   #15
BHPian

Couldn't have said it better Lucifer.
I remember how I danced between the idea of picking up my first Honda CB400SF & I regretted not doing it earlier. The moments my wife, friends shared during the rides are unforgettable.
Throttleking, sell me your Magnum & pick up your dream car, both happy.

Most Viewed