Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2011, 11:43   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: Decent Vehicle in 22 to 30 lakh bracket

@andy: Congratulations! Hope you've already checked into the Assembly Line section. Looking forward to your ownership thread.
Old 20th June 2011, 09:07   #17
BHPian

as for the X1, you don't get the higher version as it is available only 4 months after the booking (as mentioned by KUN Motors, in Chennai).. hard to stay on with the basic version.

You can look at other options as well, like the Merc C Class or a Pajero as well.

Superb is great however, the spares are generally expensive and the luxury compared to the BMW's or MB's dont match.

Do check and purchase well.. Pajero might not be a fantastic purchase, but definitely its well worth your money and great when you are looking for the resale.

Mitsubishi cars are generally better off with their a.s.s. (except for the outlander and evo4) at this moment of time.
Old 20th June 2011, 10:55   #18
BHPian

Hi,
If you are looking for trouble free ownership and bulletproof reliability, have a TD of Nissan X Trail.
It is the only CBU below 30 L with exceptional auto box and terrific engine.
Though X Trail can't match the driving pleasure of 320d, you don't have the roads of that standard in India either.
Old 20th June 2011, 11:22   #19
Senior - BHPian

I think the current BMW 320D fits your billing perfectly. Its better than the X1, trust me, I surveyed on these 2 in particular and found the Sedan to be a better option due to better driveability and looks better too. The current model, though a little dated, will still serve you good for at least 10 years on your driving pattern (which is similar to mine, 10K/year). My next car upgrade (from my Corolla) would definitely be this Beemer (after my current upgrade to a Fortuner from a Qualis)...
Old 20th June 2011, 14:20   #20
BHPian

Hi Guys,
Thanks for your replies. What you think of the new Passat. Saw it the other day at the showroom, planning to Test Drive it soon. The Highline version fits the Bill. But have no idea about the upkeep cost and long term reliability. Any Passat OR VW owners could you please throw some light on this.

Thanks in advance for your input guys. I am looking to buy the vehicle by Diwali so any more vehicles coming to the market. I saw the Captiva as well, but no rear A/c vents for a vehicle that cost just put me down.
Old 9th July 2011, 13:07   #21
BHPian

Guys,
Finalised 2 cars, but need help from fellow BHPians for clearing the doubt cloud a bit which is playing in my mind:
1) Skoda Superb.
2) New Passat (Comfortline)

Requirements: Long time durability.
Upkeep cost.
Self Driven all the time.
Not worried too much about resale as planning this car for long term.

Thanks in advance Guys.
Old 10th July 2011, 10:09   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayeshdamle View Post
Guys,
Finalised 2 cars, but need help from fellow BHPians for clearing the doubt cloud a bit which is playing in my mind:
1) Skoda Superb.

Upkeep cost.

Thanks in advance Guys.
From a personal point of view.
It would be the Passat for me. Could you tell us what is missing in the comfortline compared to the highline?
Old 10th July 2011, 10:39   #23
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1) Skoda Superb.
Both the cars are terrific, but I would agree with mdsaab and veer towards the new Passat because (1) Passat's image, (2) Superb too common these days (which shows its VFM and popularity) and, (3) Passat being a global car, you can probably get spare parts easily even after many years of service.
dot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2011, 12:27   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Guys,
1) Skoda Superb.

Upkeep cost.

Thanks in advance Guys.
Both are extremely good options. Here are some differences between the two:
  1. Passat is more modern compared to the Superb, though Superb sets the standard in effective space utilization
  2. The Superb being around for a while, is a more tried and tested model compared to the new Passat
  3. Styling-wise, Passat looks more handsome IMO, whereas Superb can be more of an acquired taste.
  4. The 2.0L CR engine in Passat is tuned to 170bhp, whereas in Superb its 140bhp.
  5. If you’re inclined towards gadgets, the Passat will make you more happy (but some of those fancy ones are missing in Comfortline)
  6. The Superb should be cheaper than the Passat Comfortline
  7. And if I am right, Superb has an umbrella, which the Passat does not have
Hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
From a personal point of view.
It would be the Passat for me. Could you tell us what is missing in the comfortline compared to the highline?
I think some the missing items in the Comfortline Passat (compared to Highline) are the fancy Park Assist, myriad of front seat adjustments, rear view camera. And if I remember right, highline got black leather seats whereas in comfortline its beige.

@dot: One small correction there, even the Superb is a global car
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2011, 13:05   #25
Senior - BHPian

Please find my views in bold. In complete agreement with vb-san here
Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
  1. Passat is more modern compared to the Superb, though Superb sets the standard in effective space utilization
Absolutely correct, space wise superb is king and extremely close to a limo.
  1. The Superb being around for a while, is a more tried and tested model compared to the new Passat
Agreed.
  1. Styling-wise, Passat looks more handsome IMO, whereas Superb can be more of an acquired taste.
Again Agreed.
  1. The 2.0L CR engine in Passat is tuned to 170bhp, whereas in Superb its 140bhp.
From what i have read this makes quite a big difference. The Passat engine is quite a leap ahead.
  1. If you’re inclined towards gadgets, the Passat will make you more happy (but some of those fancy ones are missing in Comfortline)
By personal preference i always prefer going for the top model. No regrets later on.
  1. The Superb should be cheaper than the Passat Comfortline
  2. And if I am right, Superb has an umbrella, which the Passat does not have
Ofcourse how can we miss the superb umbrella in the Superb!
Hope this helps.

I think some the missing items in the Comfortline Passat (compared to Highline) are the fancy Park Assist, myriad of front seat adjustments, rear view camera. And if I remember right, highline got black leather seats whereas in comfortline its beige.

Thanks for the details. I prefer beige interiors though, the highline version should have had an option given to the customer.
mdsaab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2011, 13:16   #26
Team-BHP Support

Since its self driven, I'm going to have to say get the Passat. Its 170bhp engine is much more fun than the Superbs 140bhp. Also you don't need the extra legroom at the back, and a car which is that much longer. Those are the 2 big reasons, then there are things like the sexy DRLs and the fact that you are not really missing anything from the Superb, besides the fully electric seats with memory.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2011, 16:02   #27
BHPian

Guys thanks for your replies, agreed Passat Comfortline does makes a Good choice. Superb is a good car, the only things puts me down is ***. I know there are many Happy Su[perb owners as well, hence cant judge it from basis of some sour stories. But then you put this amount of Money it does cross your mind even if there have been 1% or 2% cases. What if I am the one to make it 2.5% ;-).

Also the Passat been just launched will not see the door for some years to come now. And like I said it will be strictly self driven, hence a powerful engine (170 BHP) will surely make a difference. I am planning it for a long run.

As for the difference between the comfortline and Highline goes:
1) Higline has 12 way adjustable seat with 3 memory functions where as Comfortline has 3 way and no memory function.
2) Higline gets Park assist & Rear Camera and Comortline gets just Front and Rear Sensors.
3) Interiors of Higline are Black (no choice given) and for Comfortline are Biege.

Coming to that IMO doesnt the Beige Interiors feel more roomy compared to dark colour or rather Black colour ones.

Also Passat has 6 Airbags and Superb has 8 Airbags. Correct me if I am wrong.
Old 10th July 2011, 18:12   #28

Hi, this is my first post;

I have owned a Skoda 1.9 TDI Octavia Elegance since 2004; This has done 135k km, mostly in Mumbai city traffic, and is now being changed.

I run around 2k km per month and plan to keep the car for around 5 years or so; Car is chauffer driven, and I mostly sit in the back, but drive on Sundays. Family size is 4 including myself, but rear seat comfort is important. Wife drives an I-10 ( Auto ) and refuses to drive any larger car.

I'm staying with Skoda, despite horrible service from dealers ( later post in appropriate thread ); Decision is between a Superb Petrol 1.8 TSI AT and Diesel ( only AT offered ) ; Current car will go to the dealer in a buyback - Office policy: I cannot do a private sale. As expected the dealer is offering only 2.5 L for the car...

My initial impulse was to go for the Petrol, but dealer input that this will get mileage of around 7 kmpl made me do the math; For the amount I run, I guess a diesel is preferable, despite the higher price tag ( +3 L )

Will keep the thread updated on the buying process . Any inputs / advice is appreciated.
Old 10th July 2011, 19:46   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Coming to that IMO doesnt the Beige Interiors feel more roomy compared to dark colour or rather Black colour ones.

Also Passat has 6 Airbags and Superb has 8 Airbags. Correct me if I am wrong.
Agreed i am for beige interiors. makes the cabin feel much more roomy.

You are right the superb has 8 as compared to the passat's 6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InLuck View Post

My initial impulse was to go for the Petrol, but dealer input that this will get mileage of around 7 kmpl made me do the math; For the amount I run, I guess a diesel is preferable, despite the higher price tag ( +3 L )

Will keep the thread updated on the buying process . Any inputs / advice is appreciated.
First of all welcome aboard Team-BHP.
i think with your running you have only two options.
1. Own a petrol pump.
2. Buy the diesel version.
The superb is a great choice, but as mentioned in my earlier post i would go with the Passat this time round.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Since its self driven, I'm going to have to say get the Passat. Its 170bhp engine is much more fun than the Superbs 140bhp. Also you don't need the extra legroom at the back, and a car which is that much longer. Those are the 2 big reasons, then there are things like the sexy DRLs and the fact that you are not really missing anything from the Superb, besides the fully electric seats with memory.
The DRL's are indeed sexy as your aptly put it.
Also was tailing a Passat the other day, and i quite liked the tail lights too. Very unique. overall i classy car that i would like to own.
Old 10th July 2011, 19:59   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by InLuck View Post
I have owned a Skoda 1.9 TDI Octavia Elegance since 2004; This has done 135k km, mostly in Mumbai city traffic, and is now being changed.

I run around 2k km per month and plan to keep the car for around 5 years or so; Car is chauffer driven, and I mostly sit in the back, but drive on Sundays. Family size is 4 including myself, but rear seat comfort is important. Wife drives an I-10 ( Auto ) and refuses to drive any larger car.

Just go and check out the Passat once. I recently went to VW to see the Vento and just started looking at the passat. Trust me, I was blown away. So were my dad and sister. And even though we were not even looking at that segment, all 3 were ready to plonk around 22L also for it. But alas the top end was much more then that , so sadly parted ways with it.

I havent checked the Superb, so no idea what thats like.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks