Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2011, 00:47   #1
BHPian

Decent Vehicle in 22 to 30 lakh bracket - New Passat OR Skoda Superb

Hi Guys,
This is probably my second or third post on the site. I had been a very good listener for all this while.

I have a query as to which would be an ideal vehicle long term. The main reason to use the term vehicle is I dont mind a Sedan a crossover or a SUV. To make things simpler I have short listed the following and would need advice from all you guys on the same.

1) Skoda Superb.
2) BMW X1.

The requirement is sheer driving pleasure, managaeble maintainence cost and above all durability. Durability because, before this I have sold my Getz in 3 years with 21K on ODO and now I own a SX4 with 14K on ODO in 2 years.

I work in Oilfield so my car is probably I can idle for a month when I am in the middle of the ocean searching for OIL, and then in full use for the month I am back home. Its been very rarely used by my better half as she is not comfortable to drive, which might change as I am going for an automatic in my next car.

On an average yearly running will be 10K kms.

Thanks and lot in advance. I will be in the middle of the ocean again from next week for 4 weeks but will have net access and would be able to read your suggestions.
So keep them coming
Old 26th March 2011, 01:47   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Decent Vehicle in 22 to 30 lakh bracket

Since you want sheer driving pleasure there are only 2 options -

BMW 320d - You will get the corporate edition, which has great offers going on now. The only major things it misses are idrive, a better stereo, xenons, and memory for the seats. The engine is a stonker, 184bhp and the handling is top class. Space is not that great, and the ride is a bit stiff. But heck you want sheer driving pleasure so who cares.

Skoda Superb 3.6 V6 - This is my choice over the BMW. You work in an oilfield. Discount petrol?????. The V6 is an absolute monster, with 260bhp its the same engine used in the Q7. With its DSG and a Haldex 4x4 system it will certainly beat the 320d is most aspects, except it wont feel as involving to drive, but it will certainly thrill more. It also has all the gadgets you could want.

Take your pic. IMO forget the X1.
Old 26th March 2011, 09:08   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Since you want sheer driving pleasure there are only 2 options -

BMW 320d - You will get the corporate edition, which has great offers going on now. The only major things it misses are idrive, a better stereo, xenons, and memory for the seats. The engine is a stonker, 184bhp and the handling is top class. Space is not that great, and the ride is a bit stiff. But heck you want sheer driving pleasure so who cares.

Skoda Superb 3.6 V6 - This is my choice over the BMW. You work in an oilfield. Discount petrol?????. The V6 is an absolute monster, with 260bhp its the same engine used in the Q7. With its DSG and a Haldex 4x4 system it will certainly beat the 320d is most aspects, except it wont feel as involving to drive, but it will certainly thrill more. It also has all the gadgets
you could want.

Take your pic. IMO forget the X1.

I would agree for the most part except, wouldn't the Superb have all those usual high octane petrol requirement issues ? Remember reading somewhere that the superb 3.6 faces issues with normal petrol.
Even if it doesn't , i guess the performance would be heavily compromised in which case the 320d CE would make a better choice though it wouldn't offer you the performance of a 3.6
Old 26th March 2011, 15:39   #4
Senior - BHPian

While the superb is a great car i feel it is a better chauffeur driven option.
I agree with previous posters that the 320d CE is the ideal choice if you like or should i say "live to drive"
however personally i think the x1 is quite a great overall package, and am told has a better ride and not completely sure but a bit more spacious too. So if it were me i would end up with the x1 in the driveway.
Old 26th March 2011, 21:43   #5
Team-BHP Support

I would suggest you buy the Superb V6. Four-wheel-drive, 260 horses and its brilliant DSG 'box should satisfy your spirited-driving requirements. A cross-over/SUV will never give you the same sort of thrill and balance that a true-blue sedan would.

You could go in for the BMW 320D CE. But that is devoid of some features that would disappoint you, especially since you've plonked 30 lakhs or so, on it. Go in for something substantial, I would say.

The X1, is not what you would be happy with. Trust me.

EDIT: Have you considered a well maintained BMW 5 Series diesel? It should fit the bill absolutely perfectly.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 26th March 2011 at 21:45.
Old 26th March 2011, 21:54   #6
dot
Senior - BHPian

Between X1 and Superb, the choice is simple, IMHO.

Superb.

One can always decide the engine option as per need and choice. However, going by sheer road presence and features, Superb can blow the hats of any other German/Jap in this bracket (22-30L).

Last edited by dot : 26th March 2011 at 21:55.
Old 26th March 2011, 21:57   #7
Team-BHP Support

First of all, congratulations for the approved budget!
You have shortlisted two capable machines. If sheer size is not a problem go for the Superb, otherwise choose between the BMW X1 or 320d.

The X1 may not give the thrills of a 320d, but if you take that comparison factor out, it is quite a capable and well sorted out car.

For the Superb, my recommendation will be the 1.8 TSI DSG. The V6 is great, but as P.turbo mentioned fuel maybe an issue. And with the monthly idle time, you may not need the Superb diesel.
Old 26th March 2011, 23:12   #8
BHPian

akshay1234, PlatzdaTurbo, mdsaab, suhaas307, dot, vb-san

All you guys thanks for your reply, Akshay.. no yaar no discount on petrol even after slogging ourself in the middle of the Ocean of it.

Also I am open to any more suggestions in the price bracket mentioned. I know it might sound weird to some guys but then sheer driving pleasure and also ability to maintain a car after its extended warranty as I am planning to keep this vehicle for a longer time.

Thanks a lot guys again for your responses guys please keep them coming.
Old 27th March 2011, 13:51   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayeshdamle View Post
The requirement is sheer driving pleasure, managaeble maintainence cost and above all durability.
Driving pleasure : BMW 320d (sorry, but the Superb's long wheelbase hardly makes it a driver car). And RWD > AWD for an enthusiast.

Maintenance : Rest easy with BMW's 5 year all-inclusive maintenance packages. Good luck with Skoda reliability and after-sales.

Durability : All European cars age well. Very well.

It's really between the 320d and the X1 here. If I were you, I'd either buy the X1 or wait for the all-new-generation 3 series (only a couple of quarters away). The current gen has grown a bit long in the tooth now.

Other options : Used BMW 530d. Plenty of well-maintained examples for 30 lakhs (and under). This would be by first choice.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2011, 14:08   #10
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also I am open to any more suggestions in the price bracket mentioned.

I am planning to keep this vehicle for a longer time.
In that case two more cars can be brought to the table;

Passat. The new Passat is loaded and has a dignified stance.

Volvo S60. Very chic, very rare, very safe and very very fast.
Old 27th March 2011, 14:53   #11
Senior - BHPian

Also we could add the fabulous A4 from Audi with 3 engine options
1.8 TFSI
2.0 TFSI
2.0 TDI

Also the C 220 CDI Executive from Mercedes

Though not sure, but i think the above cars don't have any service package. So maintaining them might turn out expensive.

Also how about the Nissan X-trail? not sure if it's really a driver's car, but not a bad option. Didn't recommend the Teanna as most say it's very dull to drive.
Old 27th March 2011, 14:57   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
In that case two more cars can be brought to the table;

Passat. The new Passat is loaded and has a dignified stance.

Volvo S60. Very chic, very rare, very safe and very very fast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
Also we could add the fabulous A4 from Audi with 3 engine options
1.8 TFSI
2.0 TFSI
2.0 TDI
All the cars above, besides the Passat are above 30l on road, infact more like 35l. Hence they are out of the budget.

Also I have a feeling the 2.0tdi Passat wont really be a top notch drivers car. Fun, but not comparable to the Superb 3.6 V6.

GTO - Agreed, but the DSG is awesome, and man that car does thrill. Yes a 3 year old 530d can be bought for the budget, and will be the best choice by far if a good specimen is found.
Old 28th March 2011, 16:32   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Driving pleasure : BMW 320d (sorry, but the Superb's long wheelbase hardly makes it a driver car). And RWD > AWD for an enthusiast.

Maintenance : Rest easy with BMW's 5 year all-inclusive maintenance packages. Good luck with Skoda reliability and after-sales.

Durability : All European cars age well. Very well.

It's really between the 320d and the X1 here. If I were you, I'd either buy the X1 or wait for the all-new-generation 3 series (only a couple of quarters away). The current gen has grown a bit long in the tooth now.

Other options : Used BMW 530d. Plenty of well-maintained examples for 30 lakhs (and under). This would be by first choice.

GTO Agreed Thats what I was looking for the X1 as well after going through the quotes from all you guys. Also would like to have a X-over I would say not an SUV exact and then using SX4 for more than 2 years have got used to a decent sitting position which X1 I suppose has. But after the 5 years maint package what would be the cost of maint. Also as of now due to my job nature the running is not that much. So considering the 15K kms for each service I might service my car every 2 years . But will surely give X1 one more thought as 30L is the max budget I am looking at.

As GTO suggested I think a decent used BMW 5 series would also be a good option.

Guys I am going back to Africa now in the Middle of ocean in search of Oil. Will have connectivity there but will be limited. But please do keep your answers pouring. And Thanks a Lot to all who have taken out time to reply me.
Old 29th March 2011, 19:26   #14
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
But after the 5 years maint package what would be the cost of maint.
By current standards, and not counting inflation, I price German car maintenance at an average of 75K per year. Of course, this is at an independent shop after you are out of warranty period.

Quote:
As GTO suggested I think a decent used BMW 5 series would also be a good option.
If you are worried about long-term maintenance costs, then a 5 series with limited / zero warranty is not a sensible option.
Old 31st March 2011, 17:11   #15
BHPian

If you are you are looking at strictly driving pleasure, it would be difficult to look beyond the 3. I just got mine last week. I can personally vouch for that. But if you are not in a tearing hurry, and can wait for a year or so, wait for the new 3. It will hold its value much better. It's sure to be slightly longer, thereby addressing the cramped rear seat issue to an extent and share design cues with the F10 which will make it look at par I believe.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks