Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2011, 21:18   #1
BHPian

Jaguar xf 3.0d vs jag xf 5.0 petrol

Have zeroed in on the jag. Now can't decide between the two engines. The 3.0 comes to about 58 and the 5 comes to 66. I drove the two and I was honestly quite disappointed with the 5 litre. But maybe my expectations were two high. And the 3.0 was surprisingly agile. I had driven the 5 litre first.
Other than the engine the only difference is the sound system which is not all that important to me. With the 5.0 litre il get terrible fuel economy, il loose the ability to drive to do inter city trips without refuelling. And il get terrible resale value. But no 3 month waiting period with the 5.0 litre petrol.
What do you guys think ?
Old 19th April 2011, 21:27   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Jaguar xf 3.0d vs jag xf 5.0 petrol

Well it becomes pretty easy since you said the petrol did not quite thrill you as much as you expected. Besides, the 'S', with 270bhp and 600NM would give you enough thrills and a much longer range ,thanks to the diesel fuel tank. Also with the oil-burner you could realistically think of getting double-digit F.E figures if driven with a light foot, something unimaginable with the petrol. Lastly, with the quality of petrol in India, i think it makes the choice even easier. Much cheaper running costs/6 lakh saved OTR off the petrol/ amazing power,torque/explosive mid range/ much much longer intervals between fuel stops/cost,availability of diesel and optimum performance delivered on it = JAGUAR XF S 3.0

Last edited by PlatzdaTurbo : 19th April 2011 at 21:30.
Old 20th April 2011, 10:04   #3
BHPian

It's a no-brainer, the XFS is your car but the it also loses bi-xenon headlamps and alcantara headlining along with the good sound system.

The XF is going to get a facelift soon, XJ like front, new 2.2 diesel, some changes to the interior and the rear. Do enquire with the dealership and consider IF its not too long a wait.
Old 20th April 2011, 11:57   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fre2bpowerless View Post
It's a no-brainer, the XFS is your car but the it also loses bi-xenon headlamps and alcantara headlining along with the good sound system.

The XF is going to get a facelift soon, XJ like front, new 2.2 diesel, some changes to the interior and the rear. Do enquire with the dealership and consider IF its not too long a wait.
The music system from the XF is still missing in the S but as a part of mid-life upgrades the XF S now comes with the bi-xenons. Alacantara also is offered as an option IIRC. This makes it an even more desirable package now.
Old 20th April 2011, 14:06   #5
BHPian

The upgraded XF with the new 4 cylinder 2.2 L engine will be released in U.K., not before September. I doubt that it will be released here because as a CBU it will carry a higher price than 520D so will not sell. May be in the long run Tata will decide to assemble Jaguar here then it may be introduced here.

5L petrol is a creamy smooth engine and provides limo level waftability and silence. It also comes in Portfolio edition so the trim and equipment is superior with class leading Bowers & Wilkins 440 W music system. You can read the ownership report of jag.xf for this model.

I think the diesel model here comes in Premium Luxury specs. The engine is unmatched by any other car except BMW 535D. We never felt that we are driving a diesel and car offers a perfect blend of power, road manners and comfort. You can read my ownership experience of this model.

Wishing you in advance a very happy Jaguar ownership experience.
Old 21st April 2011, 00:21   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatzdaTurbo View Post
The music system from the XF is still missing in the S but as a part of mid-life upgrades the XF S now comes with the bi-xenons. Alacantara also is offered as an option IIRC. This makes it an even more desirable package now.
When did this happen? That really put me off from buying the Jag, had i known they'd get xenons and that alcatara headlining. Sigh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akj53 View Post
The upgraded XF with the new 4 cylinder 2.2 L engine will be released in U.K., not before September. I doubt that it will be released here because as a CBU it will carry a higher price than 520D so will not sell. May be in the long run Tata will decide to assemble Jaguar here then it may be introduced here.
Duty on the CKD's 'may' rise to 30% making the 5's more expensive. Anyway price would matter more than the engine size for Jaguar to make volumes.
Old 21st April 2011, 01:35   #7
Senior - BHPian

If the 5.0 needs a higher octane petrol, then forget about it.
The diesel.makes more sense anyday. You can easily fill up on the highway too if need be.
With the diesel
you are going to save money on purchase as well as running costs.
You are going to be able to take longer trips without worrying where to fill up or having to carry spare fuel.
You will get a better resale value when it comes time to sell.
So unquestionably its the 3.0
Old 21st April 2011, 09:44   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fre2bpowerless View Post
When did this happen? That really put me off from buying the Jag, had i known they'd get xenons and that alcatara headlining. Sigh.
Recently. Perhaps beginning of 2011. I am not sure about alacantara but 100% positive that the xenons are now standard on the S.
Slightly but if that sigh was due to the performance it offers (that you lost out on as you did not opt for it) i dont think you need to as if your caption is anything to go by, you already possess a car that is slightly faster & handles a lot better.
Yes the Jag looks better but i would still want to drive a 530D anyday.

Last edited by PlatzdaTurbo : 21st April 2011 at 09:48.
Old 21st April 2011, 12:42   #9
BHPian

My personal choice would be a petrol engine simply because of the higher rpm redline. However, if it needs the 97speed all the time then it doesn't make much sense. I haven't driven either of them but having driven other V8s I would have to say that a diesel engine no matter how refined cannot come close to a petrol for driving pleasure.... just my two cents.
Old 21st April 2011, 17:46   #10
BHPian

The thing is that my consideration set was very much of regular a4s 3 series etc. But I dint like any of them so then I looked at the jaguar. The jaguar fit the bill perfectly but now I have the additional option of paying eight lacs to get sports car like performance. It might not have the agility but the lure of a five litre v8 is too much. And the 3.0 d although good is no where close to being powerful enough to give the occasional Porsche/Audi tt/slk a scare.

The 3.0 d comes with xenons sunroom etc also. I think they made the change about sometime in December.

It does not need 97 all the time but it is recommended. And after reading around iv got the general impression that 97 would be far better for the car.
Old 21st April 2011, 19:42   #11
Senior - BHPian

The facelift just came out today so how about you consider wait 2-3 months and get the new lots?

Regards,
Old 22nd April 2011, 00:58   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S350L-E240 View Post
The facelift just came out today so how about you consider wait 2-3 months and get the new lots?

Regards,
here is the link 2012 Jaguar XF facelift revealed in New York - Photos

I test drove the xf diesel last month and the front end looks and seat comfort were my biggest issues. Glad at least the front looks are greatly improved !

You're better of waiting as the road tax in maharastra for CBU's is to be halved. Hence you'll save a handsome amount.

If you can't wait, get the 530d
Old 22nd April 2011, 11:33   #13
Senior - BHPian

Agree with above posters. If you are going to spend soo much.
Might as well get the facelifted model. Unless you are getting some drool worthy offers on the current model.
If the high petrol costs dont bother you, and your heart screams for the 5.0 then nothing should stop you.
But if it were me the 3.0 it is then.
Old 22nd April 2011, 12:39   #14
BHPian

The "new" Jag that was revealed today does look awesome. The front end (I liked the old one too) looks a lot like the XJ (which is a good thing). Apart from that there aren't too many changes to what was already a great car. I think you should take a look at the new look and decide whether you want to wait for the new one or if a hot deal is available on the "old" model, should you take it?
Old 22nd April 2011, 14:29   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatzdaTurbo View Post
Recently. Perhaps beginning of 2011. I am not sure about alacantara but 100% positive that the xenons are now standard on the S.
Slightly but if that sigh was due to the performance it offers (that you lost out on as you did not opt for it) i dont think you need to as if your caption is anything to go by, you already possess a car that is slightly faster & handles a lot better.
Yes the Jag looks better but i would still want to drive a 530D anyday.
I know but it looks so cool I don't regret getting the 530D but maybe instead of the 523i. Since the facelifts announced, its all good.

Sorry for going

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks