Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2011, 11:52   #1
Senior - BHPian

Centre Armrest For Rear Seat

I searched for any threads on a custom rear armrest, but didn't find any. Mods, please merge this post if a thread already exists.

I am looking for a custom-made centre armrest in the rear seat of my Santro Xing. It won't be fixed, and when not in use it could be pushed back into the seat back to accomodate a person in the centre. When in use it would fold down and two people sitting in the rear should be able to use it as an armrest. Is it possible to make changes to the existing rear seat or will I have to go for a custom seat?

If I have to go for a custom seat, can I use a rear seat from any existing vehicles?

What would be a ballpark estimate for this mod?
Old 22nd April 2011, 12:17   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Centre Armrest For Rear Seat (Santro Xing)

I'll suggest you a cheaper and easier alternative.

Take big round bolster pillow which will be the length of your seat and as wide as you want.

Now take a velcro and stitch one end to the base of the pillow and the other non hard end of the velcro to the seat. Simply attach the pillow when you need it or dump it back when you don't.

You can make a few covers matching your existing upholstery and can be changed for washing as well.

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 22nd April 2011 at 12:19. Reason: corrected spelling mistakes.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2011, 13:26   #3
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Tejas, but it wouldn't be as good as a proper armrest in the seat. I could always carry a pillow, but that's not what I am looking at. It's either the armrest integrated in the rear seat, or nothing at all.
Old 22nd April 2011, 13:30   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Go to your local seatwala and ask him if can incorporate it.

In bombay, go to the spare parts lane in opera house. There is a sindhi chap there who specializes in seats and covers. If any one in bombay can do it cheap and good, it will be him.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2011, 13:58   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Centre Armrest For Rear Seat

If you are really keen on getting this done, I know a good seat expert : Link to Directory Entry.

However, do keep in mind that the Santro's rear seat is pretty narrow. I wouldn't recommend an integrated folding armrest for that car.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2011, 14:20   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
It's either the armrest integrated in the rear seat, or nothing at all.
Does any variant of the santro come with this feature ? If yes, try to source that seat which would be a clean fit, else as suggested, go to a good seat guy.
Old 22nd April 2011, 14:36   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Does any variant of the santro come with this feature ? If yes, try to source that seat which would be a clean fit, else as suggested, go to a good seat guy.
Nope, to the best of my knowledge no variant of the Santro (or any other hatch) has an integrated rear armrest.

@GTO, the seat may not be wide enough, but having the integrated armrest will definitely help one or two occupants on the rear seat. It might remain folded away most of the time, but when I do take a passenger or two at the rear, if I can provide them with some more comfort, it would be great.

Most likely I shall be visiting Dadar/Matunga this Sunday, so if time permits, I may check with this fellow Chandrakant that GTO has recommended. Hope their shop is open on Sundays.
Old 24th April 2011, 00:57   #8
Senior - BHPian

It is a bit of hard work not any normal upholstery guy would do, because the company designed ones come moulded with the space by default for the backrest, getting someone to replicate won't be easy and it won't be clean either.
Old 24th April 2011, 22:06   #9
BHPian

It would be a messy job and would never have the fit and finish of a professional work. Plus another thing you need to keep in mind is the width of the seat back. I do not think the seat back of the Santro is thick enough to accommodate an arm rest which when pulled down would keep your hand at a comfortable height.
Old 28th April 2011, 08:43   #10
Senior - BHPian

Thanks guys for the input. I didn't get a chance to visit anyone for this job last week, but I shall find out what they have to say about this job and will post back here.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks