Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2011, 15:59   #16
BANNED

re: PICS : Car floor vinyl & lamination

I agree that it is much useful, easy cleaning, i too have an idea to fit in my lancer, but in one of my relatives dezire, the vinyl looks good, they have done it in M.A.S.S, it was looking good though it was bit costlier than outside shops.

but in few cars it look bad, shrinked, wrinkles etc, but can we get shape of cloth mat as OEM with the help of heat gun to make it merge with original shape in corners and slopes.

If DIY how it should be done? I can remove seats, and centre console, but how to mark for holes, when in full sheet (unatltered). the place of holes may differ because of marking points before making holes

when trying to fit after making holes, the place may differ, since the sheet will now pass through all the bends and slopes.
Old 27th April 2011, 17:15   #17
BHPian

Re: Laminating car floor/Vinyl for car floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivanoj View Post
I agree that it is much useful, easy cleaning, i too have an idea to fit in my lancer, but in one of my relatives dezire, the vinyl looks good, they have done it in M.A.S.S, it was looking good though it was bit costlier than outside shops.

but in few cars it look bad, shrinked, wrinkles etc, but can we get shape of cloth mat as OEM with the help of heat gun to make it merge with original shape in corners and slopes.

If DIY how it should be done? I can remove seats, and centre console, but how to mark for holes, when in full sheet (unatltered). the place of holes may differ because of marking points before making holes

when trying to fit after making holes, the place may differ, since the sheet will now pass through all the bends and slopes.
Rajeev,

Yes its just a DIY job if you have some interest and patience. I've seen this work in some of the accessory shops so I had some confidence too. I wont say that its 100% perfect finish as I don't have the skills to do it and like I stated earlier, I didn't made any cuts on the sheets where places like the raises and dips portions to get a clear fit. I used a heat gun to make the sheet bit more flexible on these places but I have chosen a thicker sheet which was not doing well with the heat gun. Anyways am happy with the installation as it serves the purpose. Now I can clean the car within 2 mins with a vacuum cleaner even after a beach visit.

I don't know how to explain it properly, but this is what I've done:

I removed the seats and side/pillar plastic mouldings so that I can access the side of the stock carpet to take measurement. Put the full sheet inside , aligned it centrally so that extra width of the sheets will be equally shared for both sides and marked the places where I've to cut the areas like gear shift box, center console area where the sheet had to cut to make it fit. Noted all these by marking with a marker, pulled out again and made the necessary cuts. One more trial before fixing it and found few more trimming on the excess sheets where ever required. I've started from the front and its quite easy to get a snug fit there especially under the dash board, you can secure the sheets with the stock carpet securing plastic locks to the side walls and the plastic skirting. Cut the seat bolts and remote boot/fuel lid lever holes after finding their exact positions by the help of fingers Same way you can lock the sides with stock carpet locks to the the plastic mouldings and to the running board, B Pillar and finally to the top of the rear seat where you can lock the ends of the sheets with the rear seat locks.

I will try to take a snap after cleaning the car as its lying dirty with full of beach sand since our last visit to the beach
sajjt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2011, 18:56   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: PICS : Car floor vinyl & lamination

We had it done from the dealer(Popular) itself in our WagonR when we bought it.
Though not of high quality and fit and finish in some areas are lousy it Helps big time for our conditions,half of the time drenched in monsoon.
Can't think of ordinary car carpeting for our usage as the mud,sand,water will make it a nightmare for maintenance.
Old 27th April 2011, 19:37   #19
BHPian

Quote:
True; but the way its fitted I doubt if any would
Hi JK, The problem comes only if the car is stuck in a flood. My roommate had a similiar vinyl flooring in his swift and water seeped in during the 2009 Chennai floods. It was a hell of a task to get it dried afterwards. But apart from that incident there was no other issue. It did not reach under the lamination sheet.

Last edited by mobike008 : 28th April 2011 at 15:35. Reason: Alcohol discussion is strictly prohibited. Do read the rules of the board. Thanks!
Old 27th April 2011, 21:38   #20
BHPian

Thanks JK for the informative thread.

Where can i get it done in Mumbai, i am talking about the Material which is used in "Naveen Raju's" car. The one which i enquired was a Cheap transparent material and that too they asked for Rs. 1800/- for a Chevrolet Spark, which i am planning to buy for my Wife.

Can anyone from Mumbai guide me to a good shop where the same material can be found ? Suggestions needed.
Old 27th April 2011, 22:03   #21
BHPian

I got it done for my Lancer recently and it cost me 1400, it was done at Top Carz, next to chevrolet showrom on the hosur road
Old 27th April 2011, 22:21   #22
BANNED

@ sajjt

Thank you for your information, it was much helpful, please post the picture soon, i am waiting to see it, since it is an DIY, and I can also try as DIY, i am interested in DIY's but what vinyl you suggest? thinner or thicker? Since thinner can be easily shaped without wrinkles, but thicker is tough to get into shape. thats my opinion.

My person quoted Rs.1500 for interior and boot vinyl, as your quote it might save me Rs.500. which i can use it for some other useful things.
Old 27th April 2011, 22:28   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Old Maruti cars like 800, Zen and Esteem, some newer Maruti cars like Swift have water seepage issues. The water comes from below the carpet, so it can be Rust magnet.

To be frank these carpets look bad, OE carpet looks much premium grade in comparison.
Old 27th April 2011, 22:52   #24
BANNED

@ anshuman

i 100% agree OE carpet looks better and this vinyl carpet look plasticky and look cheap, but for our indian condition, those who self drive , has no driver, cleaning the carpet is tough job than cleaning the car outside.

cleaning sand, dust during summer is tedious, though we use vaccum cleaner, still dust remain trapped inside carpet. the AC blower also sucks air from bottom and throws that dirty damp air from carpet.

When in rainy season, trouble is doubled, when the carpet gets wet and muddy, though we clean and dry, the pungent smell of wet carpet with bacteria wont go. So its better go for vinyl , atleast in india, for our climatic and road condition.
Old 27th April 2011, 22:56   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Though not of high quality and fit and finish in some areas are lousy it Helps big time for our conditions,half of the time drenched in monsoon.
Can't think of ordinary car carpeting for our usage as the mud,sand,water will make it a nightmare for maintenance.
Exactly, people living in places like Kerala with rains 8 months of the year will find it highly useful(wet umbrellas, slippers, clothes etc). But I doubt if it would retain the same utility value eslewhere as Kerala is not that flood prone as other parts of the country where the rain water just collects in places.

Just my opiniond but the one on the Vento looks much better than the one on the alto.
Old 28th April 2011, 01:28   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
To be frank these carpets look bad, OE carpet looks much premium grade in comparison.
+1 to that. My packy poda mats are doing their duty very sincerely on my vista. But I see lots of people going in for these kind of floor mats nowadays.
Old 28th April 2011, 07:41   #27
BHPian

Jk,

This has been in existence in tempo travellers and tata sumos rolling out of most paravur master craftmen's (rumored to be the best in the state) garages for ages. It's only that now the accessories shops have started doing this.

And what makes you interested in this? Is it available in RED ?
Old 28th April 2011, 08:49   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Going for this has made my job easier. Cleaning is much better but as mentioned, it's got the cheap look. I have placed OEM rubber mats on top of this to hide them. Although visible, it's much better now.
Old 28th April 2011, 09:17   #29
Team-BHP Support

I would let me original carpet take abuse for 2-3 years and then replace it. It doesn't cost a bomb to replace your OE carpet. Vinyl looks quite cheap IMO.
Old 28th April 2011, 10:23   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
It doesn't cost a bomb to replace your OE carpet. Vinyl looks quite cheap IMO.

How much do the charge you for that?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks