Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2006, 04:12   #1

Infractions: 0/1 (10)
how to get the hum sound?

I have a free flow exhaust and the stock catcon and muffler have been replaced by custom built perforated mufflers which provide a free flow of air but at the same time reduce the sound.i tried removing one of the mufflers but it only led to the car producing a diesel car sound.i have seen a lot of ohc,esteems producing a mellowed roaring sound like what a superbike produces.how can i get that sound.i had changed the headers earlier also but they got damaged in an accident.so am running on stock headers and a freeflow exhaust.kindly help
Old 22nd January 2006, 08:59   #2
BHPian

hey hell spawn....can you give more details about what you runnin on right now?..hummin sound depends on th muffler you got..its a custom made right..where did you get it done?..they can help you on tone you need from the exhaust....
Old 22nd January 2006, 09:19   #3
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellspawn
I have a free flow exhaust and the stock catcon and muffler have been replaced by custom built perforated mufflers which provide a free flow of air but at the same time reduce the sound.i tried removing one of the mufflers but it only led to the car producing a diesel car sound.i have seen a lot of ohc,esteems producing a mellowed roaring sound like what a superbike produces.how can i get that sound.i had changed the headers earlier also but they got damaged in an accident.so am running on stock headers and a freeflow exhaust.kindly help

Hi,

Can you explain what you mean by humming. The sound a car develops is based on the state of tune the car is in and also the engine size, that aside a lot can be done to get the desired sound also. Main things would be playing around with the muffler specs and the expansion size. The longer the expansion the softer the sound as a thumb rule. If you want your performance switch back to headers.

BTW which car do you have. Contact Autopysche he should be able to solve your problem.

Viper

PS - what do you mean by perforated mufflers.
Old 22nd January 2006, 17:03   #4

by perforated mufflers(i.m sorry if thats the wrong term) i mean,that the inner tube of the muffler has holes in it at to absorb the sound.well even i thought so that the sound is characteristic to the state of tune and displacement.but i saw a zen with the same sound with just exhaust muflers.well i have stock headers,the first muffler has replaced the catcon,and the 2nd muffler has replaced the stock muffler.the exhaust pipes are stock and overall diameter was not increased as it wud have led to loss in low n mid range grunt.I got the mufflers installed from Performance auto,noida and the the mufflers are branded as Remus.wen u hear a superbike u hear somethin like a turbine spinning or something....the best way to explain is just relate it to the sound of a superbike and ul get the picture.i wud go to autopsyche but he is just too far away(gurgaon).and i'm talkin about my zen.
Old 22nd January 2006, 22:22   #5
BHPian

hey dude..for that ound....guess you need an entire free flow exhaust set up...startin wit the manifolds til the muffler....nd only the last piece is called a muffler....wel do wait for some more opinoins from other bhpians before you aclty get the work done...
Old 23rd January 2006, 12:51   #6
BHPian

Hey remus is a good muffler and should give you adequate sound. Maybe the installation was not done properly. Why dont you go back to preformance auto ppl and get it re-checked.
Old 23rd January 2006, 19:11   #7
Senior - BHPian

get a straight pipe from the headers till the muffler. get rid of your catcon... get either a custom made muffler or an aftermarket muffler brand... there are many brands like mugen which are available locally for around 4k upwards...
Old 23rd January 2006, 19:13   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya
get a straight pipe from the headers till the muffler. get rid of your catcon... get either a custom made muffler or an aftermarket muffler brand... there are many brands like mugen which are available locally for around 4k upwards...

MUGEN available Locally....
Bro those are cheap imitations...
Old 24th January 2006, 03:12   #9

[quote=n_aditya]get a straight pipe from the headers till the muffler. get rid of your catcon... QUOTE]
thats what i dont want ...if i have a straight pipe it sound like a diesel car with the rumbling sound....btw i dont have a catcon ...i have replaced it with a custom made muffler.....
im planning to go tom to the performance auto ppl and find out....will keep uu guys posted...still keep the suggestions flowing in guys....
Old 24th January 2006, 09:50   #10
BHPian

dude the rumbling sound is all about it man... thats what makes the whole sound so special... even the astons ve em
neway wat u want is a performance header and then a straight pipe connectin to ur exhaust and ull get a crisp roar .. what i guess is your looking for
just adding mufflers is not gonna do you any good ... tried and tested on my pailo 1.6 so tellin ya and plus your throttle response improves too
Old 16th July 2006, 16:58   #11

Hey hellspawn whats up dude...im in the same situation as you rite now with my esteem...ive got the stock headers on ..BUT...no resonator and its just a straight pipe till the end so my cars loud but its crisp...and i know what kinda sound you're talking about....its like a bass into treble sound towards the end right>? Well im getting a custom muffler for my car so as soon as i get the sound that we both like i'l let you know exactly what was done.

Unless you go ahead and do it before me...in that case let me know!!
Old 17th July 2006, 00:00   #12
BHPian

Here i would like to share my experience.. may be that could help
I got Big Conical filter and exausht fitted in my sera at the same time lancer also get the same installation but when heard mine was sounding gudd but unfortunately lancer guy had a sound like a u make holes in dholki, so then the installer explain the fact of engine, it depends on engine a lot.. I knwo somebody who can actually see the whole stuff and can solve your problem pm me for his number

Cheers
Wadhwa Ajay
Old 2nd August 2006, 00:01   #13
BANNED

What does the performance GURUS here have to say about REMUS exhausts? Is it worth paying 15k?

I'm planning to get one for my Alto LX. Any recommendations?
Old 2nd August 2006, 00:56   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak
What does the performance GURUS here have to say about REMUS exhausts? Is it worth paying 15k?

I'm planning to get one for my Alto LX. Any recommendations?
SZ - I would be very surprised if you are getting an original Remus exhaust. And anyways spending 15k for an exhaust for your Alto is not advisable especially if you are not a performance freak!!

P.S. If you are getting an original Remus at that price & are sure about it then it's not such a bad deal!!
Old 2nd August 2006, 02:11   #15
Senior - BHPian

Remus end can would cost you about that much... so would a Magnaflow. However speedy i dont think it will be of much help on an Alto, i would rather have you spend it on something more value for money on your car.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks