Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2011, 10:35   #16
BHPian

Re: Turbo'ing a Ford Fiesta S: A Pilot Study

red roosters has given me a quote of 1.5 lakhs for my aveo so should be the same for the fiesta.
Old 14th May 2011, 08:23   #17
SRK
Senior - BHPian

I think an ECU remap would be good for your needs.
Torque7 has a Air Intake Revision and ECU remap for the 1.6 engine ready with him.

I was present at KS Motorsports when Torque7 team tested a AIR on a Punto 1.2 and the result were great. There is a thread running on that topic.

May be this is better than to go in for a Turbo or Supercharger.

Regards,
SRK
Old 14th May 2011, 10:01   #18
BHPian

hey what thread is that?
Old 14th May 2011, 11:05   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchild4lyfe View Post
red roosters has given me a quote of 1.5 lakhs for my aveo so should be the same for the fiesta.

Does the quote include suspension upgrade ? What was the gain you were getting over stock in terms of % ?

Cheers
Old 14th May 2011, 12:02   #20
BHPian

nope, just a turbo job.
in terms of the % increase they said almost twice the power.
Old 14th May 2011, 15:02   #21
Senior - BHPian

Engine Mods?? On Budget??? No Technical know how??? in India??

If one thinks so. then one is surely fooling themselves.

I am in same scenario. Who (enthusiast) wont want to have a performance mod on their ride, everyone would.

But either techincal knowledge or surplus funds is mandatory if you want to go for engine mods. Every time I look at Amey's thread or Anmol's thread, a bug inside me asks me to use all my personal savings on Performance mods. But then I dont have the technical know-how which Amey has or I dont have money to buy an evo (substitute in form of modified cedia) which Anmol has.

So, am I BOND that I dont have any of the above and still I will enjoy as much as they will. No. Solution - work hard, earn more and learn more about cars. Most of us including me dont even know 100% about a basic car. Technical knowledge will remains with one for lifetime.

Mods should always be done in stages if budget is constraint, and TC is the last thing going in. Intake, Exhaust, Suspension, throttle body enhancement, ECU remap/replacement and a lot other stuff needs to be sorted before you touch the engine.

And then not even 1 out of 1 lac mechanics will know what to do with a modified engine. You wont buy a basic car if a manufacturer doesnt give you warranty. You will go and spend half of that money on mods that are not even half reliable as the basic car, and that too with almost nil support.

@Frank, please do proper search before you go for mods and keep surplus funds in hand. Not that I am trying to demotivate you or anyone else, but its a frank advise Frank . All the best .

@ Amey and Pranav, cant agree more to your posts.

@ Amey and Anmol, nothing specific to you guys, just used your names to quote live examples. Hope its ok.

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 14th May 2011 at 15:16.
Old 14th May 2011, 17:52   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd I am back!!!
Just an hour after driving a beauty of a car called the Skoda Octavia 1.8 Supercharged Petrol, I am in an absolute frenzy and I wish to study the possibility of having a supercharger or a turbocharger on my Ford Fiesta S.
It's a very premature decision and needs a lot of effort, time and money, but if it has to be done, we gotta do it in style. BUT, it's going to be a daily driver, so reliability is a top concern. The short time and distance that I drove the the Skoda gave me an idea of how much fun it is to wind the turbo and feel the thrust. But that was just for a short period
If somehow all this power could be harnessed at low revs, adding valuable torque and power low down, making city driving a cinch, the real benefit of fitting a turbo would be realized in my car, since the Ford is quite lazy at lower revs. Imagine owning a turbo'ed Fiesta S!! I wet my pants just thinking about that!!

So, let's discuss how feasible it is,
1. Whether it's going to be a supercharger or a turbocharger.
2. How reliable is it going to be?
3. Is there a tuner in Mumbai who is comfortable working with Fords?
4. How difficult is conversion and what are the changes I am looking at?
5. How much will it cost?
6. Are my internals strong enough to bear the thrust of a turbo?
7. What kind of turbo? I don't want too much thrust. Something that will alter the handling characteristics of a beautifully balanced car such as the S is a total FAIL. Too much boost is not required. Again, this car is more for city jaunts, and hence the driveability factor is extremely important.

Fire away, guys and girls. Let's hear it from you people!!! <EXCITED>
For what you are looking for a supercharger is the best option[low rpm boost] and 5 psi boost will be easily handled by the internals of the 1.6 ford engine, cost wise depend on the components chosen, new or used.
UK will be best places to find options/parts for such a build.
The suspension on the car is really good, I don't think much mods will be needed if the the build is low boost. It will be for few months and than the power monster goes hungry for more, so you have to plan for that.
Old 14th May 2011, 20:37   #23
Senior - BHPian

Interesting to note that everyone - I mean everyone is "hyperventilating" on this thread. But Frank is conspicuous by his ABSENCE....

Wake up Frank, do you have nothing to say or are you absorbing it all & doing your "study"

Cheers
Old 15th May 2011, 02:12   #24
Senior - BHPian

LOL. No guys. I have instant email updates. Now there is a team bhp application on my Android phone too!!
Constantly in touch. Just not got the time to sit back and think over these points.
The minds says a turbo is just not practical and feasible. The heart says, let's do it. The results are just too promising to not attempt it.
Then again, I am working and also doing my final year of Post Graduation so there is a lot of constraint for time and 2 lac rupees is not going to happen at this moment.

A bolt on kit from UK looks tempting, but I am yet to figure how I can get it down.

Or else, there is also the remap option , but that should come after a free flow / catback and a REAL, good customized aftermarket intake.
Old 15th May 2011, 10:36   #25
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Do you have any kit in mind? Any links to those UK websites?
Old 15th May 2011, 21:28   #26
Senior - BHPian

I have seen a few kits, but most range in the 2500-3000 euro range. Getting them down is slightly expensive, plus duty.
Besides they are for high boost, which means a change of a lot of engine internals. I doubt I need so much boost. 5-7 psi should be ok. Stock internals can stay. Hence I don't need those extravagant kits. I am lost here. Any pointers to good kits?
Old 16th May 2011, 01:19   #27
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

You don't need to buy a kit. Buying components seperately can work out cheaper and you have more options. Would be interesting to see what can be done for the Ford ECUs.
Old 16th May 2011, 10:20   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
BUT, it's going to be a daily driver, so reliability is a top concern.
Daily drive + Turbo in itself is very hard to achieve. Invest in a used Zen / Esteem and turbo it for your requirements.

Quote:
If somehow all this power could be harnessed at low revs, adding valuable torque and power low down, making city driving a cinch, the real benefit of fitting a turbo would be realized in my car, since the Ford is quite lazy at lower revs. Imagine owning a turbo'ed Fiesta S!!
I felt the Ford was quite torquey and powerful at lower revs. I'm surprised you found it otherwise.

Don't turbo your daily drive, it involves opening the bonnet and fixing things yourself in the middle of nowhere. Unless you are prepared to do that, stay away.
Old 16th May 2011, 10:44   #29
BHPian

i suggest do a simple read on torquecars.com on how to turbo a car, then you would know what exactly you would be looking at.
on a strict budget you need all the research you can get cz a turbo job isnt just bolting on a GT25 with a blow off and tuning the ecm and setting the boost controller at 7 psi. there's a lot more. you need to be aware of these aspects before even considering a turbo or else you would be spending more time at the garage than on the streets.
Old 16th May 2011, 10:46   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Daily drive + Turbo in itself is very hard to achieve. Invest in a used Zen / Esteem and turbo it for your requirements.
there are plenty of turbo daily drives in town. 3 in my circle itself.just need to know the right place and the right stuff.

Most Viewed