Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2011, 15:43   #1
BHPian

Skirting package price

Dear all,

I have been interacting with an aftermarket mods Guy in Delhi and have decided to go in for a custom skirting package for my palio stile. The complete agreed price is Rs
11,000 for front, rear, and side skirts completely custom fabricated and with paint.

I have chosen to go for body colored paint for the skirts and the style is exactly the same as the one in the attached pic.

Is 11,000 decent for such a job? I am sticking with stock bumpers. As in the picture, even with stock bumpers the skirts give a superbly aggressive look to the car. The material will be high grade fiber glass. He told me plastic will be cheaper but isn't as durable or tough as fiber. I've seen some of his fiber work, paint, finish and fitting. I'm quite satisfied but just thought I'd get a heads up about the quoted price.

Best,

Posted from my moto milestone and the t-bhp android app!
Attached Images

Last edited by ByDesign : 14th May 2011 at 15:45.
Old 14th May 2011, 16:10   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Skirting package price

11,000 is a good deal but since it's plastic you really need to be careful. These ca easily crack on impact. I have used sheet metal for my skirts and it's doing a good job. Specially on our roads where I managed to scrap few times, this stayed really well with absolutely no problem. I'm sure if this would have been plastic it would have given away.

Kindly check the quality of the plastic and go for this only if you feel that this is durable.
Old 14th May 2011, 16:17   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju
11,000 is a good deal but since it's plastic you really need to be careful. These ca easily crack on impact. I have used sheet metal for my skirts and it's doing a good job. Specially on our roads where I managed to scrap few times, this stayed really well with absolutely no problem. I'm sure if this would have been plastic it would have given away.

Kindly check the quality of the plastic and go for this only if you feel that this is durable.
Thanks for the reply naveen. It is not plastic, it is fiber. Plastic will be cheaper than 11,000 and less durable so I said no.
Old 18th May 2011, 10:07   #4
BHPian

ByDesign, Anyway the bumper is made of plastic right? what's the point in going for fiberglass? just curious. The skirtings though they enhance the appearance they bring down the ground clearance right? I would also love to know the reason for going for these skirtings.
Old 19th May 2011, 11:16   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saravananj View Post
ByDesign, Anyway the bumper is made of plastic right? what's the point in going for fiberglass? just curious. The skirtings though they enhance the appearance they bring down the ground clearance right? I would also love to know the reason for going for these skirtings.
Yes, the bumpers are made of a pretty high grade plastic and yes they do bring down the ground clearance.

I think primarily, skirting packages were part of body kits for GT racing cars, that lowered the center of gravity of the car. Made these racers more stable at high speeds, more downforce, stability around corners.

For me? For purely city driving? It's just aesthetic.
Old 19th May 2011, 11:30   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

If you could design the skirts in such a way that the GC is not compromised it would be a lot better. My skirts have been designed like that. I had to compromise few mm though but the GC isnt affected. Aerodynamically designed skirts play an important role in cars stability. Although my skirts looks like an ordinary skirt, it's designed keeping the aerodynamic properties in mind. Major part of the skirt is on the running board. Now the car is a lot stable during high speeds. Had tested this when I was about to fix the skirts.

Last edited by naveen.raju : 19th May 2011 at 11:36.
Old 19th May 2011, 15:14   #7
Senior - BHPian

All the plastics these days are ABS or PP which is much much better, compairing to normal plastic. How ever since the same material cannot be used in a normal shop layout.

Hand layup is the process very much employeed by those in the industry and for this process the best material is Fibre Glass. It is one among the strengthier material.

How ever there are two types of FG one is CSM (Chopped Strand Matt) which is 1/2 inch strands of fiber glass and the other FG Cloth which is spun cloth from FG Strands.

The CSM requires a filler and over the period it ages and cracks. Whereas if we use FG cloth it is more durable.

The lowering fo CG (centre of gravity) is not effected by using the skirtings alone.

However GC (Ground clearance) is effected if the skirting are lower than the lowest point in the car.
Old 23rd May 2011, 15:37   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju
If you could design the skirts in such a way that the GC is not compromised it would be a lot better. My skirts have been designed like that. I had to compromise few mm though but the GC isnt affected. Aerodynamically designed skirts play an important role in cars stability. Although my skirts looks like an ordinary skirt, it's designed keeping the aerodynamic properties in mind. Major part of the skirt is on the running board. Now the car is a lot stable during high speeds. Had tested this when I was about to fix the skirts.
Interesting. I think i'm losing about 2 inches or 2.5 inches all around the car with the skirts. But then again, my car sits miles above the ground. The skirts are being fabricated as we speak. I went yesterday and finalized the design and color. Paid an advance too. Fitting and finishing on Saturday. Would have gone earlier but office is hectic this week.
Old 23rd May 2011, 17:58   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByDesign View Post
Interesting. I think i'm losing about 2 inches or 2.5 inches all around the car with the skirts. But then again, my car sits miles above the ground. The skirts are being fabricated as we speak. I went yesterday and finalized the design and color. Paid an advance too. Fitting and finishing on Saturday. Would have gone earlier but office is hectic this week.
Yes, quite interesting right? I didnt listen to what he said but experienced this first hand while coming back. It does play some role. Anyways, keep the thread updated on this. Would love to see the final outcome.
Old 23rd May 2011, 18:47   #10
Senior - BHPian

Get hold of Palio S10 or 1.6 Sport (non-Stile`) side skirts - they should be cheaper as well wish you all the best with the project. keep us posted.

Reference pic:

Skirting package price-b337772palio_sporting.jpg

Do go through the following link as well: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ght=Palio+mods

Last edited by planet_rocker : 23rd May 2011 at 18:49.
Old 28th May 2011, 22:53   #11
BHPian

Skirted!!! Full report and detailed pics in my main car thread here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...1-3-mjd-8.html

Oh and daylight pics tomorrow!

Most Viewed