Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2011, 12:16   #1
BHPian

Pimped Polo 1.6 with race exhaust + ECU

I have a stock looking red Polo 1.6L and recently the car had some upgrades under the hood.

Race echaust from Race Concepts. Yup, It's Joel
ECU from Race Dynamics.

The car was mapped by Joel using Red Rooster's Dyno. End result was 89hp & 133nm at the wheel.

Note from the Team-BHP Support: Please note that it is now imperative for you to upload pictures directly to the Team-BHP Server. Click here (Uploading photographs directly to Team-BHP) (Uploading photographs directly to Team-BHP) to view our simple help article on uploading pictures.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 16th May 2011 at 23:49. Reason: See note above.
Old 16th May 2011, 12:23   #2
BHPian

Re: Pimped Polo 1.6 with race exhaust + ECU

Congratulations. Will ask Joel to do something similar with my future Polo. Also do try to take a video of the speedo meter next time, that's what people want to see.
Old 16th May 2011, 12:25   #3
BHPian

Thanks
Sure, I'll record the video.
Old 16th May 2011, 12:28   #4
BHPian

Maybe I am wrong but isn't 125Nm stock value for torque a bit less for a 1.6L engine?
sushanthr77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2011, 12:33   #5
BHPian

And i was wondering why hasn't this come up here on t-bhp yet

Wasn't the car Dyno'ed in stock condition ?? If yes how much whp was it in stock condition ?
Old 16th May 2011, 12:37   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushanthr77 View Post
Maybe I am wrong but isn't 125Nm stock value for torque a bit less for a 1.6L engine?
VW claims it's 103bhp & 150nm torque.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil.Bhujbal View Post
And i was wondering why hasn't this come up here on t-bhp yet

Wasn't the car Dyno'ed in stock condition ?? If yes how much whp was it in stock condition ?
The car wasn't dyno'ed in stock condition. Stock should be around 70's whp.
Old 16th May 2011, 14:51   #7
BHPian

Ok. Then 125Nm must be at the wheels. So it is about 150Nm at the engine.
Old 16th May 2011, 15:38   #8
BHPian

Great improvement.

Is this a remap on the exisitng ECU or a ECU transplant? If its a remap, was the remap done using the OBD port or was it bench flashed?

Finally is this a petrol or a diesel?
Old 16th May 2011, 16:36   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitm View Post
Great improvement.

Is this a remap on the exisitng ECU or a ECU transplant? If its a remap, was the remap done using the OBD port or was it bench flashed?

Finally is this a petrol or a diesel?
It's a petrol car. You cannot flash a stock ECU. It's a all new Standalone ECU.
Old 16th May 2011, 19:30   #10
BHPian

This is with a new Race Dynamics 0901 Standalone ECU. So no OBD or flash hacking. It takes over completely.
The car now runs on my custom 4 x 1 race exhaust system. The Polo 1.6L is quite a sober and mid-range oriented engine with a very regulated drive by wire throttle control. So make it into something 15whp higher than stock was not an easy effort.
A stock OHC Vtec does 72-74whp and so does a stock POLO 1.6L, Now it makes 90whp. So its quite a massive gain. The exhaust alone took the engine to 84whp, thats nearly 10whp more. Then the ECU tune was quite a task and with precise mapping, its now making 6whp more. All this with the stock airbox still.
The entire effort finally translates to super fun when you floor the pedal. The car now is evidently 2 secs quicker to 100kph. More interestingly is the torque across the rev range and the ease of driving even at 800rpm in 5th gear and still making you assume its 3rd.

Last edited by fieroid : 16th May 2011 at 19:32.
fieroid is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th May 2011, 20:16   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieroid View Post
This is with a new Race Dynamics 0901 Standalone ECU. So no OBD or flash hacking. It takes over completely.
The car now runs on my custom 4 x 1 race exhaust system. The Polo 1.6L is quite a sober and mid-range oriented engine with a very regulated drive by wire throttle control. So make it into something 15whp higher than stock was not an easy effort.
A stock OHC Vtec does 72-74whp and so does a stock POLO 1.6L, Now it makes 90whp. So its quite a massive gain. The exhaust alone took the engine to 84whp, thats nearly 10whp more. Then the ECU tune was quite a task and with precise mapping, its now making 6whp more. All this with the stock airbox still.
The entire effort finally translates to super fun when you floor the pedal. The car now is evidently 2 secs quicker to 100kph. More interestingly is the torque across the rev range and the ease of driving even at 800rpm in 5th gear and still making you assume its 3rd.
That torque curve is sweet man. According to you, is that more due to the exhaust or the ECU replacement or both working in tandem?

The reason i ask is, i have the Palio 1.6 and want to go for an exhaust setup. wondering if similar performance can be expected with just the exhaust. again, asking coz you mentioned that the WHP figure went up with just the exhaust.
Old 16th May 2011, 20:51   #12
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Kushanth, how about sharing driving impressions with us? Numbers et al are fine, but what is the actual difference you feel in the city (driveability) and on the open road?

And yes, I do wish you had dyno'ed the car before & after. That would have thrown a crystal clear picture on the absolute improvement.

Congrats BTW, and do drive safe!
Old 16th May 2011, 23:17   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushanth View Post
I have a stock looking red Polo 1.6L and recently the car had some upgrades under the hood.

Race echaust from Race Concepts. Yup, It's Joel
ECU from Race Dynamics.

The car was mapped by Joel using Red Rooster's Dyno. End result was 89hp & 133nm at the wheel.
Kushanth - congratulations! You have made a great ride even better. Do share your experience about the drive and the mileage And if you dont mind, the cost as well.

Also,can it be done for the 1.2 petrol as well?
Old 17th May 2011, 00:08   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieroid View Post
Joel, isnt the stock 1.6 have a RPM Limiter set at sub 7k? So has the new ECU increased it? If so then why does the dyno pic have the max RPM at just 6k?
Old 17th May 2011, 03:10   #15
BHPian

The Polo 1.6L has a drive by wire - solenoid operated throttle body. It limits the airflow after 6100rpm, even with a standalone ECU. Either we will have to ditch the entire thing and go to a conventional cable operated manual TB setup or just live with this.
Yet, makes superb torque and power till 6k rpm, so does not matter much.

@lucifer - This is a very radical exhaust system, like what I built for my Honda Vtec as well. Hence there is a massive bump in power. The ECU was just an addition to make the package a little more sweeter. The exhaust had already taken the engine to its next level. The ECU mapping helped me make better use of the fuelling and ignition plots to enhance the entire rpm range.
Makes it end of the day, a sweet car to drive.
Coming to driveability, we drove to nandi hills on sunday and I personally drove the car around a lot. With 3 people on board, the car could climb the hairpins in 3rd gear at 1200rpm, while the same car 3 weeks ago in full stock trim would feel lazy with just 2 people aboard. With having spent a good time on the dyno and on road, the result is a 6whp bump in power at peak and a decent 5-10% bump in FE. Working on making some hybrid maps to make it more frugal, yet retaining the power for WOT.
Its a charm in city, lesser down shifts with more power and torque kicking in, right off idle. Open roads, well good enough to beat a Honda Vtec with pipe and intake work. All this, with still the stock intake box. Have planned my intake setup and once done, will make it more peppy.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks