Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2011, 07:55   #16
BHPian

Re: Pimped Polo 1.6 with race exhaust + ECU

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Kushanth, how about sharing driving impressions with us? Numbers et al are fine, but what is the actual difference you feel in the city (driveability) and on the open road?

And yes, I do wish you had dyno'ed the car before & after. That would have thrown a crystal clear picture on the absolute improvement.

Congrats BTW, and do drive safe!
Quote:
Originally Posted by e-katz View Post
Kushanth - congratulations! You have made a great ride even better. Do share your experience about the drive and the mileage And if you dont mind, the cost as well.

Also,can it be done for the 1.2 petrol as well?
Thanks guys . The car is much more driveable now. The low end torque has a massive bump thanks to the exhaust. It's on par with my swift vdi's low end. The car is quite loud and i'm getting used to "feather" the throttle. I haven't tested the topspeed yet but on a 1 km stretch i've noticed 20kmph gains over the stock.

Check out youtube.com/kushanth to see the car in action (only with exhaust)
Old 17th May 2011, 10:14   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieroid View Post
The Polo 1.6L has a drive by wire - solenoid operated throttle body. It limits the airflow after 6100rpm, even with a standalone ECU. Either we will have to ditch the entire thing and go to a conventional cable operated manual TB setup or just live with this.
Yet, makes superb torque and power till 6k rpm, so does not matter much.

@lucifer - This is a very radical exhaust system, like what I built for my Honda Vtec as well.
Can this exhaust be done for a carb zen as well, if so how much would it cost. As i want to have some fun with my car.
Old 18th May 2011, 08:26   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushanth View Post
Thanks guys . The car is much more driveable now. The low end torque has a massive bump thanks to the exhaust. It's on par with my swift vdi's low end. The car is quite loud and i'm getting used to "feather" the throttle. I haven't tested the topspeed yet but on a 1 km stretch i've noticed 20kmph gains over the stock.

Check out Youtube.com/kushanth to see the car in action (only with exhaust)
Hi kushanth would you mind sharing the cost of the upgrade.. exhaust + ECU
Old 18th May 2011, 08:37   #19
BHPian

How feasible to put the stand alone ecu to get good drivability and better mileage on palio 1.6 GTX.

Regards,
Vijay
Old 18th May 2011, 10:45   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Check out Youtube.com/kushanth to see the car in action (only with exhaust)

Just saw the video, the car sounds good for sure. Wish you had run her in the open streach rather than on colony roads. 1.2 seconds faster with just the exhaust sounds good or is that after the ECU was put in as well ?

Nice car, hope you enjoy it more each day !!

Just curious - what is the mileage of a 1.6 POLO in stock form in city driving ? and how much more is it giving you now in real time ?

Cheers
Old 18th May 2011, 11:41   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazzy Boy

Hi kushanth would you mind sharing the cost of the upgrade.. exhaust + ECU
ECU is 28k and Exhaust is 25k
Kushanth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2011, 11:44   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaycool
How feasible to put the stand alone ecu to get good drivability and better mileage on palio 1.6 GTX.

Regards,
Vijay
I wouldn't suggest a stand alone ECU on a stock car. A good map would give 3 - 4% power and mileage gains but its not worth spending 28k.
Old 18th May 2011, 11:49   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63
Just curious - what is the mileage of a 1.6 POLO in stock form in city driving ? and how much more is it giving you now in real time ?

Cheers
Stock car gives 12-13kmpl in city conditions on highway it should manage 16kmpl. 1.2secs gains were only with the exhaust, now the car is much more faster easily 2 secs quicker to 100. Got to upgrade tires.
Old 19th May 2011, 00:59   #24
BHPian

^the cost of the exhaust indicated here is deliberately false. This is a fun project and no intent of business.
Old 19th May 2011, 17:13   #25
BHPian

Update : The stock car has this thing where the engine revs to 4000 rpm when the car is not in motion, We are still figuring out a way to bypass it. RD ECU has launch control and its set to 2800 rpm as Joel has re-tuned the map today for better fuel economy until 3000 rpm. I have to flick a switch to disable the (2800 rpm)rev-limiter.

Note - I am not able to edit my previous posts, hence i have uploaded the dyno results again.
Attached Thumbnails
Pimped Polo 1.6 with race exhaust + ECU-dyn.jpg  

Old 24th May 2011, 06:47   #26
BHPian

I have a noob question here. If its possible to improve the bhp without sacrificing the fuel efficiency, why dont manufacturers do this in the first place? Do these changes place any stress on the engine or reduce its life?
Old 24th May 2011, 12:29   #27
BHPian

A catalytic converter reduces emission at the cost of performance & mileage. You can notice the bump in performance by replacing the catcon with a pipe. Since the manufacturers have to meet the emission norms, they are willing to sacrifice some bhps.
Old 10th July 2011, 13:15   #28
BHPian

Quote:
I have a stock looking red Polo 1.6L and recently the car had some upgrades under the hood.

Race echaust from Race Concepts. Yup, It's Joel
ECU from Race Dynamics.

The car was mapped by Joel using Red Rooster's Dyno. End result was 89hp & 133nm at the wheel.

Note from the Team-BHP Support: Please note that it is now imperative for you to upload pictures directly to the Team-BHP Server. Click here (Uploading photographs directly to Team-BHP) (Uploading photographs directly to Team-BHP) to view our simple help article on uploading pictures.
Hi Kush! I also own exactly the same car in RED and just test drove the Laura TFSI and had a heart ailment. The upgrades you have done seem to be the best surgery to help me recover i'm sure. I read in some post on this thread that it costed you around 28k+25k. A few questions:
  • Will it void the warranty
  • Does the life and efficiency of the engine gets negatively affected
  • How well is it working and how much of a difference does it make
  • Is it possible to get it turbocharged
Old 12th July 2011, 20:31   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipinjoshi View Post
A few questions:
  • Will it void the warranty - Yes
  • Does the life and efficiency of the engine gets negatively affected - Having got a bike built by Joel, this would surely not happen. It will be bullet proof and prove as good/better than stock
  • How well is it working and how much of a difference does it make - Will have to wait for OP to answer
  • Is it possible to get it turbocharged - Will have to wait for OP to answer
Post no. 24 by Joel (Fieroid) clearly states that the prices were deliberately falsified since this was a fun project. So you might want to PM for further details on the pricing. I have clarified a few things that I am aware of. For the rest, wait for the thread starter to reply.
Old 13th July 2011, 23:43   #30
BHPian

Quote:
A catalytic converter reduces emission at the cost of performance & mileage. You can notice the bump in performance by replacing the catcon with a pipe. Since the manufacturers have to meet the emission norms, they are willing to sacrifice some bhps.
Was it you outside EGL this morning? i was in the black Palio flashing for you to stop.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks