Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2011, 00:07   #1

Convex ORVM?

I bought my Skoda Laura 2.0 TDi Ambiente in Oct 2003 and I'm loving every bit of it - except for one really irritamting thing. The outside mirror on the right side is not convex - it's a plain mirror. Surprisingly, the left side outside mirror is convex.

This really restricts the field of view and is a genuine safety hazard - I had a couple of close shaves before I got used to it.

I've searched high and low in the pares market for a convex right side mirror, but no luck.

I'm astounded that Skoda overlooked this simple thing, seemingly so trivial, but it's so critical to safety and I'm surprised that there is nothing available in the after-market.

Any idea where I can buy one in Mumbai? Other cities?

And if I find one, can I just change the mirror, or will I have to change the entire housing, motor, heater, etc?

Cost estimates would also be greatly helpful.

Thanks in advance for any tips.
Old 17th May 2011, 08:00   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: ORVM for Skoda Laura

2.0 in Oct 2003? Typo?

My pre-facelift car has convex mirror on right with a split where the extreme right portion is super convex. The ORVM size is a bit small but no problem with the convex aspect.

Have u tried adjusting the mirror so that you see more of the road and less of the car? I have seen many people drive with mirrors positioned to show a lot of car and less of road. Not to forget the drivers who fold in the ORVMs!
Old 17th May 2011, 09:10   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykayess View Post
I bought my Skoda Laura 2.0 TDi Ambiente in Oct 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
2.0 in Oct 2003? Typo?
I thought Laura's started coming only from 2005/2006 and the diesel was a PD engine.

Coming to the issue on hand, if you have bought the car used, there is a possibility that previous owner might have changed the glass as you don't just get the glass but the whole assembly as OEM which costs a packet. I guess that's why you are not getting the correct glass in the local spare market. I'm sure if you go to the ASC, they'll give you the correct whole assembly and burn a nice hole in your pocket
Old 17th May 2011, 11:36   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
I thought Laura's started coming only from 2005/2006 and the diesel was a PD engine.

Coming to the issue on hand, if you have bought the car used, there is a possibility that previous owner might have changed the glass as you don't just get the glass but the whole assembly as OEM which costs a packet. I guess that's why you are not getting the correct glass in the local spare market. I'm sure if you go to the ASC, they'll give you the correct whole assembly and burn a nice hole in your pocket
Indeed the Laura comes with a regular mirror for the right ORVM and a convex one for the left. Not sure why. It is a little confusing to see larger the normal images when a vehicle is approaching you from the rear left. When i look in the right ORVM, it feels as though the vehicle is approaching from the front rather than from the rear due to the increased size of the object. Getting used to this.

As far as the positioning of the mirrors go, it is always recommended to keep the mirrors positioned at right angles to the car. The car should not be visible from the ORVM. Most of the people here drive with the ORVMs positioned such that they can see the tail of their car.
Old 17th May 2011, 11:54   #5
Senior - BHPian

The 2.0 TDi in Oct 2003 sure sounds like a typo. AFAIK, Laura's were launched in 04-05.

Secondly, I agree that the right mirror is a normal (non convex) and most of the owners (including me) have been ranting about it on various threads.
However, the methods suggested above may not surely work. The standard norm is- the ORVM's should be positioned in such a way that the images seen in the ORVM's should be in sync with that in the IRVM (Basically something like a seamless image in both the mirrors).

To address your concern, why not get those small convex mirrors (blind spot) and stick them onto the existing mirrors?

Last edited by Swanand Inamdar : 17th May 2011 at 11:55.
Old 17th May 2011, 12:12   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
The standard norm is- the ORVM's should be positioned in such a way that the images seen in the ORVM's should be in sync with that in the IRVM (Basically something like a seamless image in both the mirrors).
When a vehicle is directly behind you, you should be able to see that vehicle in the IRVM as we all know. When the vehicle behind you tries to pass you from the left or the right, the image of the passing vehicle will move from your IRVM and should be visible in your left or right ORVMs. At one point, half of the vehicle is visible in the internal RVM and the other half is visible in the ORVM. Then the vehicle disappears from the IRVM and is only visible in the ORVM. This is the best setting for the ORVMs. If the vehicle passing you is not visible in both the IRVM and your ORVMs then that is the blind spot we all should try to avoid. Adjusting the ORVMs at right angles to the car reduces this blind spot to a large extent.
Old 17th May 2011, 12:17   #7
Senior - BHPian

^Maibaa, that is exactly what i meant to say! Good way to put it across though.
However, at some point you would have a blindspot in the mirror, hence the convex mirrors in the first place!
Old 17th May 2011, 12:23   #8
Senior - BHPian

Off topic !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maibaa View Post
The car should not be visible from the ORVM. Most of the people here drive with the ORVMs positioned such that they can see the tail of their car.
To me it helps if I can see just a bit of my car in the ORVM. It gives me a reference. I know for sure where the car behind/beside me is placed with respect to my car. Specially helps in crowded areas, bumper to bumper scenarios.

I find it pretty uncomfortable if I don't have this reference.
Old 17th May 2011, 15:37   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: Convex ORVM?

Why not just buy it cheap online? Sample Link. You'll find plenty of options on UK-based websites.

Best to get an extra set while you are at it. Indian cars lose their mirrors (to theft or bikes) rather often!
Old 17th May 2011, 15:58   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Best to get an extra set while you are at it. Indian cars lose their mirrors (to theft or bikes) rather often!
exactly !!!

I am grossly handicapped while driving my punto. The left ORVM fell off on the highway & since then, i feel like there is always something waiting to happen from the left side

None of Tata ASCs have a replacement ready :(
Old 17th May 2011, 19:21   #11

Folks, first of all many thanks for all the excellent tips and prompt replies. Next, apologies to all for the confusion caused by my typo - indeed it is not 2003, but 2010!!!

Now, I have tried all the various positions of the ORVM, and what I prefer is exactly what shuvc says - I should be able to see just a bit of my car as a reference point.

But my point (and my grouse) is that irrespective of the mirror's position, the total field of view for a plain mirror is always less than that of a convex mirror. That's a law of physics! And that inevitably results in a blind spot, which is a safety hazard.

I don't know of any other cars in this category who have a convex mirror on the passenger side and a plain mirror on the driver's side. It just beats the hell out of me how and why Skoda could do this.

I guess I will have to be prepared to buy something off the UK supplier throughthe eBay link provided by GTO - many thanks for that, it looks like a viable and affordable option. Now all I have to do is find someone who is travelling from London to Mumbai and ask them to carry it for me...
Old 18th May 2011, 15:21   #12
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykayess View Post
who have a convex mirror on the passenger side and a plain mirror on the driver's side. It just beats the hell out of me how and why Skoda could do this.
Obviously some genius at Skoda got his left-hand-drive / right-hand-drive orientation mixed up

Quote:
I guess I will have to be prepared to buy something off the UK supplier throughthe eBay link provided by GTO - many thanks for that, it looks like a viable and affordable option. Now all I have to do is find someone who is travelling from London to Mumbai and ask them to carry it for me...
You are very welcome. But don't bother waiting. Just pay the seller shipping charges and you should be all set. Stuff that I buy internationally is usually at my office in 6 - 10 days tops (via regular shipping)
Old 18th May 2011, 16:53   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Why not just buy it cheap online? Sample Link. You'll find plenty of options on UK-based websites.

This link is tempting me to order a pair for my Ambiente model.

Questions for the experts here:

1. Is it a DIY job to fix these ORVMs or do I need to get it done at a garage or at the A.S.S? It looks to be a simple job though.
2. Since the available mirrors have the heating feature, can i enable this feature in the Ambiente model? Is it as simple as plugging in some wires or we need to do more?
Old 19th May 2011, 21:42   #14

Thanks again, GTO.

Maibaa,
The link clearly describes it at a do-it-yourself job" "Maximum 5 minutes for everyone - no need to go to garage".

However, I'm not exactly sure how the heating works. My guess is that the heating elements are behind the mirror, not directly in contact with it, so the interior of the housing gets heated and keeps the mirror warm enough to prevent condensation.
Old 22nd October 2016, 10:23   #15
Senior - BHPian

Convex Glass For Honda Accord ORVMs

With the Honda Accord 2003 2.3 MT that I have acquired a couple of years back, I face a weird issue. The ORVMs are not convex, but flat. This means not only the field of vision is restricted, but the glare from headlights of vehicles behind me leaves me blind. The glare becomes so distracting and painful that I turn the mirrors downward, further restricting my field of vision. It is almost impossible in city traffic to leave the mirrors in their normal orientation while driving in the night.

The older cars had convex mirrors even internally, but it seems the Accord doesn't have them on outside. Right now I have fitted two circular small convex mirrors on the regular ORVMs, but that doesn't solve the main problem (they do eliminate blind spots though!)

So I started searching for alternatives, and came across this:

https://www.amazon.com/2003-2007-Pas...honda%3Aaccord

Now, it seems that the driver side mirrors are always flat glass, while passenger side mirrors have convex glass. And funnily, since the US drives on the wrong side, the convex passenger side mirror glass might actually help me on the driver side. So I am thinking of buying one.

Has anyone tried this before, on any other car? Apart from sourcing from Amazon.com, are there any local options available?

Just for information, the mirrors on my Accord are powered, but not heated. It seems the heated mirrors have some kind of a screen/element on top of the glass, which is missing, so I am guessing they aren't heated.

Any ideas, tips would be helpful.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks