Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2012, 11:44   #271
BANNED

Re: Advice on CNG Conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijay_rodie View Post
Finally made my mind and converted to CNG.
I have installed BRC - closed loop kit with TAP & Lamda. I did it from one of installer from Dange Chowk, Chinchwad (Welcome to Mirajkar CNG GAS fitting Center to Cars, Repair and Maintenance of four wheelers). With RTO registration it costs 32,000.

Its been 1 and half month and I have covered 2000 km, so far no any issue except the 'check engine' light goes on/off.

Very happy to see monthly saving of 5000 rs. (Expected to cover the kit cost within 6 month )

I met Mr. Mirajkar as one of option while opting for CNG for my Spark. However opted for a service provider nearby house considering service requirements. No issues with installation. it was a closed loop lovato.

Today, already cleared of my spark. i didnt have any problem as such, and gone ahead with WagonR CNG. I must say "there is difference in retrofitted and company fitted kits". One should opt for company fitting provided option is executable. I have tasted both world so word of advice.

So where do you fill CNG?
How about few pictures of installation? with lamda and other parts? This will help.
Cylinder Capacity?

Last edited by idea : 3rd August 2012 at 11:46.
Old 3rd August 2012, 12:03   #272
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by idea View Post
I met Mr. Mirajkar as one of option while opting for CNG for my Spark. However opted for a service provider nearby house considering service requirements. No issues with installation. it was a closed loop lovato.

Today, already cleared of my spark. i didnt have any problem as such, and gone ahead with WagonR CNG. I must say "there is difference in retrofitted and company fitted kits". One should opt for company fitting provided option is executable. I have tasted both world so word of advice.

So where do you fill CNG?
How about few pictures of installation? with lamda and other parts? This will help.
Cylinder Capacity?
Yes you are right. One should consider the installer location. Mr. Mirajkar's is just 6-7 km away from my house.

Cylinder is of 14kg capacity but with several refills, maximum I got was 9.9 kg. I usually fill CNG at Pimple Petrol Pump, Chinchwad. This is online pump and bit fast service compared to others.

I will update the pics soon .. !!!
Old 3rd August 2012, 12:23   #273
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm very curious to know where you fill CNG, and how much time it takes you every time at the gas station.
Old 3rd August 2012, 14:08   #274
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
I'm very curious to know where you fill CNG, and how much time it takes you every time at the gas station.
I fill CNG at Pimple Petrol Pump, Chinchwad. I usually go in off-peak time like, between 3 to 5 pm or on Sunday's between 12.30 to 2.30 pm.

As per usage one tankful of CNG lasts for 4-5 days to 1 week.
Old 3rd August 2012, 14:36   #275
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranav4x4 View Post
Thanks man... will check for the port - where does one find an OBD scanner? Also, any chance you could put me in touch with your friend having the converted City? Would be reassuring to talk to someone who has one for a significant period.
location of OBD port on your City is:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post1354408

check for a scanner on ebay or buy from US; i bought mine (basic one) from US for 35$.

the friend who had CNGed his City has sold it 8-9 months ago and bought a diesel. if i remember correctly, CNG conversion was done by Rachit Dhawan who deals in lovato kits (i had posted his contact details somewhere on the forum, do a search).
Old 3rd August 2012, 14:59   #276
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
Totally depends. At what time and which place you are visiting

I have used facilities in thane and i must say services are way faster than pune.

In pune i spend avg 20 min per fill per week.

Quote:
Yes you are right. One should consider the installer location. Mr. Mirajkar's is just 6-7 km away from my house.

Cylinder is of 14kg capacity but with several refills, maximum I got was 9.9 kg. I usually fill CNG at Pimple Petrol Pump, Chinchwad. This is online pump and bit fast service compared to others.

I will update the pics soon .. !!!
I do use that pump in case i am in that area. 9.9 KG is good, am sure you get this when tank is totally or nearly empty.

Will wait for pics.

Last edited by idea : 3rd August 2012 at 15:01.
Old 3rd August 2012, 17:42   #277
Senior - BHPian

Re: Swift CNG Help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HimuraKenshin View Post
when warmed up, the engine idles at around 800 RPM
Hi

How do you rate the performance of your car on CNG as compared to petrol? How pronounced is the power loss, or I fear there won't be much?

I feel this could point out to something.
Old 3rd August 2012, 19:18   #278
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijay_rodie

I have installed BRC - closed loop kit with TAP & Lamda. I did it from one of installer from Dange Chowk, Chinchwad (Welcome to
Mirajkar CNG GAS fitting Center to Cars, Repair and Maintenance of four wheelers
).
Thanks for updating. Mirajkar is my first choice coz when ever i go to his brothers bike garage i used to see atlest 2 cars for fitment and he clarified all the kit details and rto queries also asked to see a fktment of old honda city.
I havent converted to cng till now. But sooner it will be done.
His brother is also really good with bikes. He solved my honda avaitor morning kick start problem. 2 yrs on kick problem didnt occured.
shabahmad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2012, 19:23   #279
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by idea View Post
9.9 KG is good, am sure you get this when tank is totally or nearly empty.

Will wait for pics.
Yes, you are right. I go for refill only when tank is totally empty or nearly empty. Usually after reserve (red) light flashes on the gas indicator.

Definitely upload the pics over the weekend.
Old 3rd August 2012, 19:25   #280
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijay_rodie
I have installed BRC - closed loop kit with TAP & Lamda. I did it from one of installer from Dange Chowk, Chinchwad (Welcome to
Mirajkar CNG GAS fitting Center to Cars, Repair and Maintenance of four wheelers
).
Thanks for updating. Mirajkar is my first choice coz when ever i go to his brothers bike garage i used to see atlest 2 cars for fitment and he clarified all the kit details and rto queries also asked to see a fktment of old honda city.
I havent converted to cng till now. But sooner it will be done.
His brother is also really good with bikes. He solved my honda avaitor morning kick start problem. 2 yrs on kick problem didnt occured.
Old 3rd August 2012, 20:28   #281
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP

Hi

How do you rate the performance of your car on CNG as compared to petrol? How pronounced is the power loss, or I fear there won't be much?

I feel this could point out to something.
Hi, I feel a minimal loss in acceleration when m on cng. No other performance issues...
Old 4th August 2012, 09:28   #282
BHPian

Quote:
Hi, I feel a minimal loss in acceleration when m on cng. No other performance issues...
Not to be overly pessimistic, but i had two vehicles which was run on LPG (not domestic, factory kit), my experience is that the fuel is economical, good and clean energy but it is to be used only in city driving, never use it for highway driving (read higher speeds for longer duration) and hill driving (load factor on the engine), the engine head gives away within a lakh kilometer or so, i have a vehicle which is asking for engine head change and this is the second time it is happening on a different brand vehicle. I am not sure about the reasons for this, but then one needs to see the cost factor vis-a-vis petrol / diesel, when you run a vehicle on LPG / CNG for almost one lakh km you definitely save quite a lot of money, even much more than what the engine head change would require.
Old 4th August 2012, 09:52   #283
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeshchand View Post
Not to be overly pessimistic, but i had two vehicles which was run on LPG (not domestic, factory kit), my experience is that the fuel is economical, good and clean energy but it is to be used only in city driving, never use it for highway driving (read higher speeds for longer duration) and hill driving (load factor on the engine), the engine head gives away within a lakh kilometer or so, i have a vehicle which is asking for engine head change and this is the second time it is happening on a different brand vehicle. I am not sure about the reasons for this, but then one needs to see the cost factor vis-a-vis petrol / diesel, when you run a vehicle on LPG / CNG for almost one lakh km you definitely save quite a lot of money, even much more than what the engine head change would require.
hey!
My driving is in the city only! highway driving is for a total of 1/2 hour everyday only. I have another car that i use for so called, 'heavy driving' (Jetta)
Old 4th August 2012, 11:58   #284
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I guess your CNG settings need to be tweaked (they call it tuning), your CNG flow is higher than required due to which you aren't experiencing much power loss, which is perceptible generally.

You will observe major loss, say- 15-20%, in the power (basically low end torque), but your mileage will improve, & it would require extracting best from engine before every gear shift. Probably, you won't love your car after this, but, the cost savings will hold you back IMO.

I believe this should help.
Old 5th August 2012, 09:06   #285
Senior - BHPian

Hi guys,I am planning to install LPG kit for my optra 1.8(CNG is not available in chennai,correct me if I am wrong).I am getting mileage of ~10kmpl right now which means the running cost in about 7.2Rs/km.How much will I be able to save if I install LPG kit
p.s: I am not obsessed with mileage but I just want to reduce money spent on fuel when I go for long rides

Most Viewed