Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2011, 13:55   #121
Senior - BHPian

re: Advice on CNG Conversion

Friends,

One of my building friends is seriously contemplating to switching over to CNG from petrol but is unsure about what things to check if he intends to go for one. He owns a Verna Petrol. What parameters does one have to look into before going in for a CNG conversion kit. Also any one from Thane has got this switch done, kindly suggest reliable dealers for the same. Also what budget should one have in mind?
Old 27th September 2011, 15:46   #122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aryashiv1 View Post
Just one question, as I could not find any answer. How is the performance of the car effected after getting the CNG installed? Does it affect the engine life etc. Or there is not effect at all. I am a very sedate kind of driver...dont like to go beyond 100. And I want to see the possibility of fitting CNG Kit in my Petrol Polo. Any suggestions please.
aryashiv1, in Mumbai, I do not think you would have any problem with availability of CNG, but a VW Polo... It must be still in warranty. DO have a casual word with your dealer regarding the warranty clause in light of CNG conversion.

Regarding the performance, I reckon there could be a drop in the initial performance, due to feeling of heaviness (probably as high as 10% in my '03 Santro Xing which is best driven in 3rd gear), but as the speeds pick up, you won't find much difference. surprisingly the AC becomes chiller in seconds on blower speeds of 2 in office hours traffic. Regarding the engine life, I was suggested by a good friend (who has CNG-ed his cars long back) that I need to ensure that I get the car serviced regularly, unlike earlier days of my petrol rides, when I bit lax.

I get a mileage of 20+ km/kg in almost traffic jam like drives everyday.

Hope this helps
Old 3rd October 2011, 14:12   #123
BHPian

Performance no doubt will take a slight dip - but if you compare the running cost of CNG with petrol, then you'll definitely laugh off this initial sluggishness.

As far as engine life goes - how much KMs do you expect a Maruti Swift engine to last ? 1.5L kms ? if that is the case, then my car has reached 101000kms right now - CNG conversion was done at 30k kms - so far so good.
Old 5th October 2011, 13:30   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptaneja View Post
Yes, I got it done from Gurgaon location. For ALTO also it's BRC kit. I know the actual mechanic too who has done it - he has been into installing these kits since last 5 years or so.
Can you tell me the address of the actual mechanic ?
I was thinking of getting a kit installed in my wagon R in a day or two.
Thanks.
Old 11th October 2011, 11:34   #125
BHPian

CNG conversion for Palio Stile 1.6 sport - Need Advise

Hello Friends,
Seeking your help.
I need to convert my Palio Stile 1.6 Sport to CNG as daily running has increased to 100kms (approx Rs. 600 for petrol). So, please advise me about
1. Feasibility of this conversion
2. Pros and Cons
3. Good CNG conversion centers in Pune.
4. Approximate costing for conversion.

I couldn't find a thread for CNG conversions on Palio and hence posting here.
Mods please move this to appropriate section if needed.
Thnx.

Last edited by Jaggu : 11th October 2011 at 12:09. Reason: Please use Search before opening a new thread. Thanks.
Old 12th October 2011, 11:20   #126
Max
BHPian

Re: CNG conversion for Palio Stile 1.6 sport - Need Advise

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46TheDoctor View Post
Hello Friends,
I need to convert my Palio Stile 1.6 Sport to CNG as daily running has increased to 100kms (approx Rs. 600 for petrol). So, please advise me about
conversion for palio should not be any different then any other car. It cost around 30-35k to convert to cng and you have to get it checked every 3-4 months. There will be some performance lag but you will get better mileage then petrol and CNG is very cheap, so you will save allot on fuel. I am not sure about who convert CNG in pune so you might have to wait for that answer.

If you make conversion or gather any further information, please post it here, it will help others allot.
Max is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2011, 11:30   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Friends,

One of my building friends is seriously contemplating to switching over to CNG from petrol but is unsure about what things to check if he intends to go for one. He owns a Verna Petrol. What parameters does one have to look into before going in for a CNG conversion kit. Also any one from Thane has got this switch done, kindly suggest reliable dealers for the same. Also what budget should one have in mind?
As long as you get the fitment from a genuine dealer and a good installer,there is no problems as such,just tell him that his vehicles performance will take the blow,tell him to get the Timing advancer along with CNG kit,it improve vehicle performance with CNG,he should keep a budget of around 30,000.
Old 13th October 2011, 11:16   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post
conversion for palio should not be any different then any other car. It cost around 30-35k to convert to cng and you have to get it checked every 3-4 months. There will be some performance lag but you will get better mileage then petrol and CNG is very cheap, so you will save allot on fuel. I am not sure about who convert CNG in pune so you might have to wait for that answer.

If you make conversion or gather any further information, please post it here, it will help others allot.
Thanks for the reply. But, where are all the experts?
Friends at least let me know some good conversion centers in Pune so that i will approach them and get the required info.
Thnx.
Old 17th October 2011, 05:09   #129
Max
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46TheDoctor View Post
Thanks for the reply. But, where are all the experts?
Friends at least let me know some good conversion centers in Pune so that i will approach them and get the required info.
Thnx.
did you check justdial?, they have good list of dealers. I recommend take justdial reviews and ratings as pinch of salt, they are all paid advertisers and mostly fake. Do your own research. Generally, If you see lots of cars being converted there you may just go ahead. You may also ask any CNG cab drivers from where they converted there car and try to get as much information as you can about that garage / dealer.

Here is the link

Cng Conversion Kit Dealers in Pune - Justdial
Old 19th October 2011, 13:29   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post
did you check justdial?, they have good list of dealers. I recommend take justdial reviews and ratings as pinch of salt, they are all paid advertisers and mostly fake. Do your own research. Generally, If you see lots of cars being converted there you may just go ahead. You may also ask any CNG cab drivers from where they converted there car and try to get as much information as you can about that garage / dealer.

Here is the link

Cng Conversion Kit Dealers in Pune - Justdial
Thnx Max.
This is the exact reason i wanted suggestions from bhpians who have converted their cars to CNG. Anyways, i am planning to sell my car and get the diesel hatchback instead.
Old 18th January 2012, 10:30   #131
BHPian

CNG Installation | Confusion - for SX4 ZXi VVT

Note - this is the SECOND time I am posting the same thread - dont know what happened to the earlier one - it was available and visible for 30 minutes or so, and then have vanished in thin air. If it was moved/deleted then please close this one out and merge with original etc. If I do search it, its visible, but then I get an error message on trying to access it - which says "No thread specified - contact Administrator" . Mods please check!

I would need a little suggestion on CNG conversion for my May 2010 ZXi VVT SX4. I am running a swift ZXi on CNG since last 85k kms or so, and quite happy with it.

But for SX4, I bought it from Apra True Value - and they are the one's who will be providing additional 1 year warranty. And their CNG division is hell bent on installing a sequential kit on the car - as per them "normal kit (kit+lambda+advancer) will not work on any car after April 2010/BS4"

Now the condition is that since I can't go against Apra, and I am doubtful if spending double the normal cost is justified. Should I go in for sequential kit if it actually is so advanced and better than normal kit, or should I try convincing Apra for a normal kit? Anyone has a buddy in Apra with whom I can talk to ?

Thanks !!

Mod team note: Please use Search before opening a new thread. Thanks

Last edited by Jaggu : 18th January 2012 at 10:58. Reason: Please use Search before opening a new thread. Thanks
Old 18th January 2012, 17:28   #132
BHPian

Sequential kits are surely better than the conventional kits but require proficient installers and are double the price.
This is a myth that only sequential kits would work with post april 2010 models of SX4.
We were told the same story when me & my friend visited apra for cng installation.
They say "Only Sequential CNG kits work with K- Series engines & the new SX4 engine"
My friend is using a conventional kit in his k- series/BS4 car and its working fine. He has done around 14k kms on it and no problems so far.
As far as the SX4 engine is concerned, the BS4 is only a tweaked version of BS3 with VVT.
If you go in for a sequential kit the investment & the break-even time would be double.decide accordingly !!
Old 18th January 2012, 17:45   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2max6 View Post
Sequential kits are surely better than the conventional kits but require proficient installers and are double the price.
This is a myth that only sequential kits would work with post april 2010 models of SX4.
We were told the same story when me & my friend visited apra for cng installation.
They say "Only Sequential CNG kits work with K- Series engines & the new SX4 engine"
My friend is using a conventional kit in his k- series/BS4 car and its working fine. He has done around 14k kms on it and no problems so far.
As far as the SX4 engine is concerned, the BS4 is only a tweaked version of BS3 with VVT.
If you go in for a sequential kit the investment & the break-even time would be double.decide accordingly !!

Dude the problem here is not about the cost - I can still live with the fact that I have invested double the $$, but what about 1 year warranty that Apra will provide on "true value vehicle" which would be gone If I get the kit installed from outside source ?

Anyone has a known buddy in Apra with whom I can talk to ?
Old 18th January 2012, 18:01   #134
BHPian

^^ Since you are ok with the cost, sequential is the way to go. Sequential kits are definitely better as i said earlier.
Old 19th January 2012, 13:10   #135
BHPian

Elantra 1.8 GLS CNG conversion - Pune

Elantra 1.8 Petrol GLS
Total KM: 85K
Current mileage: 8-9 in City with AC, 12-13 on highway with AC.
Current usage pattern: 2000 KM per month 90% city riding with AC.
Current estimate of fuel expenses: (2000/8.5)*75 = 17647.

Economics is pushing me to think about getting a CNG kit fitted ASAP.
Now the problem is I don't have any idea about the brands, technology, standards, quality, maintenance etc of the CNG fitment and usage of the car after that.

On internet/forum search I have not found any thing specif to Elantra, perhaps it being a rare model ..
  • Are there different kits available for different cars (based on engine size, power delivery, size/make of car) or is that just a universal kit that can be fitted/calibrated to any petrol car.
  • Heard there are 2 type of kits, conventional and sequential.. what is the main difference and what are the approximate costs involved ?
  • What is the max size of cylinder that can be used ? I have plenty of boot space so that is not an issue.. if a larger tank does not break the bank and can avoid frequent trips to refueling station it will be good.
  • What is the % increase in cost/frequency for the maintenance of the car ?
  • I plan to replace Elantra after 3 years. Will I be able to install the same kit to my wifey's car (B segment) at that time. Her car will be out of regular warranty by that time.
  • Some trusted place in Pune where I can get this done.
Any advice on the conversion idea..am I getting carried away here and the whole economic formula above is somehow flawed ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks