Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2012, 09:09   #256
BHPian

Swift CNG Help!

Hey guys, a few months, as the petrol prices shot up I converted my Swift Vxi to CNG.
Initially the mileage was below 15Km/ Kg of CNG. I went back to my installer and he chaged the setting on the lambda but that didnt help either, so 2 weeks ago, he changed the mixer stating that the new mixer will help in increasing my mileage. but uptil now my mileage has been nothing more than 15. sometimes even 13. Please help me out guys..
what should i tell him? He claims everything is fine with his install..
as per the previous posts on this thread, a CNG swift gives approximately 20km/KG.
please help me out.
My car has BRC kit and is a closed loop system
Old 28th July 2012, 09:56   #257
BHPian

Re: Swift CNG Help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HimuraKenshin View Post
Hey guys, a few months, as the petrol prices shot up I converted my Swift Vxi to CNG.
Initially the mileage was below 15Km/ Kg of CNG. I went back to my installer and he chaged the setting on the lambda but that didnt help either, so 2 weeks ago, he changed the mixer stating that the new mixer will help in increasing my mileage. but uptil now my mileage has been nothing more than 15. sometimes even 13. Please help me out guys..
what should i tell him? He claims everything is fine with his install..
as per the previous posts on this thread, a CNG swift gives approximately 20km/KG.
please help me out.
My car has BRC kit and is a closed loop system
My swift has been giving a constant 23 - 25kms/KG of CNG since last 5 years/85000 kms or so. ( BRC Kit + advancer only - NO Lambda )

What is your idle RPM setting ? should be around 800 or so - both in Petrol and CNG.
When was the last servicing done ?
Throttle body cleaned ?
Spark plugs changed ? Gap modified if not changed ?
Air filter changed ?

Going by your figure it means in a tankful of approx 8 KG, you are travelling only 120kms or so ?? There is definitely something wrong - mine is going 200kms and still have last red light left.
Old 28th July 2012, 10:18   #258
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptaneja View Post
My swift has been giving a constant 23 - 25kms/KG of CNG since last 5 years/85000 kms or so. ( BRC Kit + advancer only - NO Lambda )

What is your idle RPM setting ? should be around 800 or so - both in Petrol and CNG.
When was the last servicing done ?
Throttle body cleaned ?
Spark plugs changed ? Gap modified if not changed ?
Air filter changed ?

Going by your figure it means in a tankful of approx 8 KG, you are travelling only 120kms or so ?? There is definitely something wrong - mine is going 200kms and still have last red light left.
Hi!
the idle RPM is around 1100-1200
you are right, i get about 125 kms :(
the spark plugs were changed during the install. I have a K&N lifetime filter. should i change that?
i'm not really sure about throttle body cleaning. Should i get it done? is it very important?
i have a BRC kit with Lambda, Advacer and Emulator.
Old 28th July 2012, 10:26   #259
BHPian

Quote:
Hi!
the idle RPM is around 1100-1200
you are right, i get about 125 kms :(
the spark plugs were changed during the install. I have a K&N lifetime filter. should i change that?
i'm not really sure about throttle body cleaning. Should i get it done? is it very important?
i have a BRC kit with Lambda, Advacer and Emulator.
Get the Idle RPM reduced to 800 (make sure you dont feel any shudders/vibrations inside)
and Yes, cleaning of throttle body is very important if not already done. Get that cleaned with a special spray they have or petrol.
ptaneja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2012, 10:34   #260
BHPian

Quote:
Get the Idle RPM reduced to 800 (make sure you dont feel any shudders/vibrations inside)
and Yes, cleaning of throttle body is very important if not already done. Get that cleaned with a special spray they have or petrol.
I'll get the throttle body cleaned aswell as the RPM reduced.
should i change the air filter?
Is there anything else i should do?
Old 28th July 2012, 10:48   #261
BHPian

Quote:
I'll get the throttle body cleaned aswell as the RPM reduced.
should i change the air filter?
Is there anything else i should do?
No, proceed step by step. If both the above do not solve then we can try changing both air filter and spark plugs. For now, please proceed with just the RPM setting and cleaning throttle body.
ptaneja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2012, 11:33   #262
BHPian

Re: Advice on CNG Conversion

Thanks! i'll keep you posted!
Old 29th July 2012, 10:59   #263
BHPian

Has anybody tried the special engine oil MAK has launched for CNG engines? Makes any difference? Right now I'm on Castrol mix.
Old 31st July 2012, 17:14   #264
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by infotech58 View Post
if you can lay your hands on an OBD scanner, connect it and check what is making the CEL glow; that might lead to some clues.
if you are somewhere around in Thane, i can help you with an OBD scanner.
Hi infotech58 - I am also from Thane, and looking to get my Honda City 2005 (iDSi) converted to CNG - only thing holding me back is that Thane dealers say they can't do much about the Check Engine light in a honda City, and that I will have to live with it - any guidance you can provide from your experience - or is there a way to read the code out for the City? Another old thread seems to suggest they got "Mixture too lean" as the error code, with no resolution. I haven't seen any feedback on any online forum from a Honda user saying this problem was resolved, so quite concerned.
Old 2nd August 2012, 23:36   #265
BHPian

Quote:
No, proceed step by step. If both the above do not solve then we can try changing both air filter and spark plugs. For now, please proceed with just the RPM setting and cleaning throttle body.
hi! as you advised, i got the throttle body cleaned. but it didnt help one bit.
I filled up again today with only 120 kms/ 9kgs.
what should i do?
please help!
Old 3rd August 2012, 06:55   #266
BHPian

Quote:
hi! as you advised, i got the throttle body cleaned. but it didnt help one bit.
I filled up again today with only 120 kms/ 9kgs.
what should i do?
please help!
How much is idle RPM now ?

There is definitely something wrong in the setting - 120kms is just nothing for a tankful.
Old 3rd August 2012, 08:08   #267
BHPian

Quote:
How much is idle RPM now ?

There is definitely something wrong in the setting - 120kms is just nothing for a tankful.
when warmed up, the engine idles at around 800 RPM
Old 3rd August 2012, 09:34   #268
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranav4x4 View Post
Hi infotech58 - I am also from Thane, and looking to get my Honda City 2005 (iDSi) converted to CNG - only thing holding me back is that Thane dealers say they can't do much about the Check Engine light in a honda City, and that I will have to live with it - any guidance you can provide from your experience - or is there a way to read the code out for the City? Another old thread seems to suggest they got "Mixture too lean" as the error code, with no resolution. I haven't seen any feedback on any online forum from a Honda user saying this problem was resolved, so quite concerned.
i do not have any experience with CNG vehicles but having driven a friend's CNG converted Honda City for few KMs, I remember that CEL was ON. I think it is a common phenomenon for some cars due to sensitive ECU. Most of the Santro CNG cabs I have sat in had CEL ON too.

find out whether your City has an ODB II port, if yes, you can read the code using an OBD scanner. otherwise, there is a guy in Andheri who can read the code for you (for any car that has ECU) but he'll charge something around 500 bucks for doing so.
infotech58 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2012, 10:15   #269
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabahmad View Post
Hi Vijay,

Did you converted your swift from petrol to CNG? & From where could you plese share details & cost on the forum.
As petrol is rising day by day its better to switch.
Finally made my mind and converted to CNG.
I have installed BRC - closed loop kit with TAP & Lamda. I did it from one of installer from Dange Chowk, Chinchwad (Welcome to Mirajkar CNG GAS fitting Center to Cars, Repair and Maintenance of four wheelers). With RTO registration it costs 32,000.

Its been 1 and half month and I have covered 2000 km, so far no any issue except the 'check engine' light goes on/off.

Very happy to see monthly saving of 5000 rs. (Expected to cover the kit cost within 6 month )
vijay_rodie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2012, 10:50   #270
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by infotech58 View Post
i do not have any experience with CNG vehicles but having driven a friend's CNG converted Honda City for few KMs, I remember that CEL was ON. I think it is a common phenomenon for some cars due to sensitive ECU. Most of the Santro CNG cabs I have sat in had CEL ON too.

find out whether your City has an ODB II port, if yes, you can read the code using an OBD scanner. otherwise, there is a guy in Andheri who can read the code for you (for any car that has ECU) but he'll charge something around 500 bucks for doing so.
Thanks man... will check for the port - where does one find an OBD scanner? Also, any chance you could put me in touch with your friend having the converted City? Would be reassuring to talk to someone who has one for a significant period.

Most Viewed