Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2012, 21:39   #301
Senior - BHPian

Re: Advice on CNG Conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Related question - why are the cylinders so heavy - is it because of cost - I think you can have lighter cylinders made from more expensive material. I would be ready to pay 5000 extra for having lighter cylinders with the same capacity.
Cylinder come under PED or Pressure Equipment Directives which make it mandatory to have a strong shell for safety of the equipment and personnel using it, hence the weight increases. Also the process involved, like welding, safety valve, purge valve should adhere to the final product certification which is costly and should be validated at regular intervals, making the cost go up.
Old 10th September 2012, 21:45   #302
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
Cylinder come under PED or Pressure Equipment Directives which make it mandatory to have a strong shell for safety of the equipment and personnel using it, hence the weight increases.
I understand that the shell should be strong. What I am asking isn't there a type of tank which is as strong, but lighter and maybe costlier.
Old 11th September 2012, 12:19   #303
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptaneja View Post
Today I witnessed something unique and strange for the first time !

On getting my car refilled at CNG pump, a black Accent was also getting filled up. When I saw the meter reading, it said, 650rs...and it stopped at approx 730 or so. I was like "***"! 19kgs of CNG ?!
On asking the owner, as to what the story is, he said that he has 2 cylinders installed!

I have never heard or rather seen anything like this.

Wish I had time to check his setup
I have seen this type of setup in Eeco, & it is like the commercial buses running on CNG, where you have to switch over to the other cylinder once one of the cylinder runs out of fuel, & you can manage the refueling with something similar setup. But, I there is no need to go out of the vehicle in small vehicles to change over to the other cylinder as the driver can do it easily with the help of gauges inside the car. I once traveled in the interstate cab which managed Delhi-Ludhiana run on such setup & refueled at one of the CNG stations at Delhi border. This car easily traveled almost 600 kms on the setup. Alas, even I came to know about the same when the Sardarji refueled CNG & I de-boarded at the Karnal bypass, so could not ask many questions.
Old 3rd October 2012, 11:30   #304
Max
BHPian

What could be the reason behind this? Article blames central locking but highlights CNG? Is CNG more dangerous then petrol in event of accident or fire?

Quote:
Five burnt alive after CNG car rams into tractor trolley in Haryana

Five persons, including two women and one child, were burnt alive after the car they were travelling in rammed into a stationary tractor trolley on the national highway in Haryana's Palwal on Tuesday afternoon.

All the five were residents of Kalyanpuri in East Delhi.

The car, fitted with a CNG engine, caught fire immediately after the accident. The five passengers could not get out of the car as the central locking system got jammed because of the impact.

Read more at: http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/f.../1/223146.html
Old 5th October 2012, 18:08   #305
BHPian

Hello Seniors! Need expert advice again. I'm planning to get a CNG Kit installed in my OHC 1.5 EXI(2001 Model). I have been going through various threads on teambhp and i'm really confused now. Not sure if i should go for a open/closed loop or a sequential loop?!!

I spoke to lovato dealer and he quoted 60k for a sequential kit for my city. He said that i will not regret using lovato as their kit performs better than petrol and increases the mileage by 20-30% with a very silent engine and absolutely no vibration.

I absolutely love the way my car is right now, she's still a pleasure to drive, request this forum for their valuable inputs and suggestions . Also is their any reliable vendor that i can go to?
Old 8th October 2012, 16:06   #306
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovemyOHC View Post
Hello Seniors! Need expert advice again. I'm planning to get a CNG Kit installed in my OHC 1.5 EXI(2001 Model). I have been going through various threads on teambhp and i'm really confused now. Not sure if i should go for a open/closed loop or a sequential loop?!!

I spoke to lovato dealer and he quoted 60k for a sequential kit for my city. He said that i will not regret using lovato as their kit performs better than petrol and increases the mileage by 20-30% with a very silent engine and absolutely no vibration.

I absolutely love the way my car is right now, she's still a pleasure to drive, request this forum for their valuable inputs and suggestions . Also is their any reliable vendor that i can go to?
Its always sad to see anything disturb the magic of the iconic OHC 1.S exy

That said I recently converted my 2005 City iDSi to CNG, and totally agree with the logic of doing so. I went for a closed loop (not sequential) Lovato from eco fuel center Thane. These guys are reliable - in that they fit it well, they know how to tune it, and so on. Go deeper into the technicals and there's a void though. E.g. my car runs smoothly on CNG, no check engine light, but has some trouble in the fuel switching process (sometimes stalls in the process) I downloaded the manual and told the guys about some firmware settings that might resolve it - they just stared blankly at me. That said, overall my system is operating smoothly, so I would suggest them for a closed loop. For sequential, which is more technically involved, I'd still recommend Lovato, but probly not eco fuel center Thane.

I'm afraid I'm not in a position to help you decide Closed Vs Sequential, as I have only experienced Closed Loop. On Closed, I can attest to the smooth running claim, the 20 in city 25-30 km/kg on highway range, the 15% power drop side-effect, and the savings.
pranav4x4 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2012, 17:11   #307
Senior - BHPian

Does the car stall even when you are revving??? Or does it stall after you have made your mandatory rev to switch from Petrol to CNG?
Old 8th October 2012, 19:41   #308
BHPian

Hey fellas!

Anyone here ever converted an Optra 1.6 to LPG/CNG?
After reading Frank's thread about the conversion of the Civic to CNG power, I've been seriously contemplating about moving to CNG too.
Just for time-pass, I Google'd CNG conversion in Chennai, and called up a few people.
They all recommended sequential kits for the Optra. Price range varied between 30k and 50k.
Don't remember the exact names of the kits, but most of them said they were imported and not made in India.
If someone can shed some light about CNG conversion workshops in Chennai, reviews, relevant pricing and details, that would be really helpful.

Thanks in advance!
Cheers!
Old 8th October 2012, 19:55   #309
Senior - BHPian

I'd recommend you go to the website of the regulatory body in Chennai for CNG. In Maharashtra we have MGL. I don't know about Chennai. But I need you to look for a similar website and get the names of the major distributors of CNG kits in your area. Once you see a well established and trusted name on the website, you need to go there and check their facilities. Speak to the person in charge and see their expertise. That's about the only effort you can put in.
See, our RTO approved MGL distributors look like this:
http://www.mahanagargas.com/Content....NDU=&lKey=Mw==

Last edited by frankmehta : 8th October 2012 at 19:57.
frankmehta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2012, 21:26   #310
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
I'd recommend you go to the website of the regulatory body in Chennai for CNG. In Maharashtra we have MGL. I don't know about Chennai. But I need you to look for a similar website and get the names of the major distributors of CNG kits in your area. Once you see a well established and trusted name on the website, you need to go there and check their facilities. Speak to the person in charge and see their expertise. That's about the only effort you can put in.
See, our RTO approved MGL distributors look like this:
http://www.mahanagargas.com/Content....NDU=&lKey=Mw==
Many thanks for pointing me in the right direction mate!
Your contribution to Team-Bhp is immense, and your posts are always informative and helpful. Many thanks again

Now, regarding my query. After a small research, it seems Chennai is yet to join the CNG bandwagon.
There are plenty of stations, that sell "Autogas", which is actually LPG.
I did not, however, find any information about CNG stations in Chennai. Neither did I find any info about any regulatory body for LPG/CNG in Chennai.
Dunno, maybe I was searching with the incorrect search string.
But none of the websites that I visited, reveal any info about CNG in Chennai. Weird.
Anyways, in case CNG is indeed unavailable in Chennai, what do you say about LPG conversion?
Is it as awesome as converting to CNG? Will the experience differ in anyway?

Do let us know. Thanks again mate!
sourav9385 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2012, 21:40   #311
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav9385 View Post
Anyways, in case CNG is indeed unavailable in Chennai, what do you say about LPG conversion?
LPG is imported. CNG is local. So LPG costs vary as per the international market. LPG has always been more expensive than CNG. Your break even time will be much more with LPG. But there is much less loss of power with LPG.
carboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2012, 07:01   #312
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
LPG is imported. CNG is local. So LPG costs vary as per the international market. LPG has always been more expensive than CNG. Your break even time will be much more with LPG. But there is much less loss of power with LPG.
Thanks for the reply mate!
It seems LPG, in Chennai at least, is priced almost similar to Diesel.
As per this link and this one, the current price is Rs 48.82 per liter. Diesel is a rupee more.

Searching through threads and posts on Team-Bhp reveal that LPG powered cars, return a mileage nearly similar to their petrol counterparts.
As opposed to CNG, where you actually get more kilometers to the KG/Liter.
Also, since CNG is downright cheap compared to any other fuel right now, CNG conversion makes the most sense.
And, not to forget, LPG/Autogas is also the subsidized fuel, just like Diesel.
So, come tomorrow, when it's time to reduce the burden on the govt, it will take all of 2 minutes for the politicos of this great nation to decide that it's time we reduce the subsidy on Autogas.
Thereby, raising its prices to levels similar to what petrol costed 2 years ago.

I'm in two minds. Even though my running with the Optra is not that much, it still sucks to fill 35 liters of fuel for 2500 bucks.
Only to have it take you around 350 km's in a mixed cycle(40% city and 60% highway).
What do you guys say? Does it make any sense? I don't see myself getting a new car, not for the next 2 years at least.
And, as said before, my running is mostly to the shops, malls on the weekends, and sometimes to the city outskirts for a drive. But, the running is limited, primarily due to petrol costs.
Old 9th October 2012, 14:43   #313
BHPian

Quote:
Does the car stall even when you are revving??? Or does it stall after you have made your mandatory rev to switch from Petrol to CNG?
I have the switchover rev set at 2000 rpm. When I rev past this, if I keep revving in the 3000 rpm range, the car does not switch, even if I hold it there for 15-20 seconds - and does not stall either.

Then, when I get off the pedal and reduce the revs and it goes back down past 2000rpm, I can hear the solenoid valve, and suddenly fuel supply stops. At this point, unless I am extremely quick and press the pedal again to rev it, the revs go down very fast and the car stalls. There's at least a second or more where neither fuel seems to be supplied.

I checked the manual and there's a software setting to toggle the lag between the gas supply valve opening, and actual switchover - it can be 1 second or 5 seconds. I was suspecting this setting may be at 1 sec and that could be the issue (gas pressure hasnt built up at switchover), but eco fuel had no idea about anything other than the "two knobs they can turn till the car is tuned properly".
Old 9th October 2012, 17:18   #314
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Many thanks for pointing me in the right direction mate!
Your contribution to Team-Bhp is immense, and your posts are always informative and helpful. Many thanks again

Now, regarding my query. After a small research, it seems Chennai is yet to join the CNG bandwagon.
There are plenty of stations, that sell "Autogas", which is actually LPG.
I did not, however, find any information about CNG stations in Chennai. Neither did I find any info about any regulatory body for LPG/CNG in Chennai.
Dunno, maybe I was searching with the incorrect search string.
But none of the websites that I visited, reveal any info about CNG in Chennai. Weird.

Do let us know. Thanks again mate!
Thanks. LPG drives better but in this scenario, it doesn't make sense. Either switch to CNG or sell and buy a good, used car and convert to CNG.
LPG and Diesel will eventually turn out to be the same cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranav4x4 View Post
I have the switchover rev set at 2000 rpm. When I rev past this, if I keep revving in the 3000 rpm range, the car does not switch, even if I hold it there for 15-20 seconds - and does not stall either.

Then, when I get off the pedal and reduce the revs and it goes back down past 2000rpm, I can hear the solenoid valve, and suddenly fuel supply stops. At this point, unless I am extremely quick and press the pedal again to rev it, the revs go down very fast and the car stalls. There's at least a second or more where neither fuel seems to be supplied.

I checked the manual and there's a software setting to toggle the lag between the gas supply valve opening, and actual switchover - it can be 1 second or 5 seconds. I was suspecting this setting may be at 1 sec and that could be the issue (gas pressure hasnt built up at switchover), but eco fuel had no idea about anything other than the "two knobs they can turn till the car is tuned properly".
There are actually 2 knobs and they ONLY know how to tune a car with that. Don't even try breaking your head on it. My fiancee's Verna was stalling like this. I realized it's an unclean air filter or weak spark plugs. In your case, the car is running fine on Petrol but it requires that extra effort from the spark plugs that might have given way. Why not try checking if they have turned black or the gap needs to be adjusted? Take it to a good installer.
If you want to get it done in Sion, Koliwada, PM me for contacts. He will make your car run as close to Petrol as possible.

Quote:
Thanks for the reply mate!
It seems LPG, in Chennai at least, is priced almost similar to Diesel.
As per this link and this one, the current price is Rs 48.82 per liter. Diesel is a rupee more.

Searching through threads and posts on Team-Bhp reveal that LPG powered cars, return a mileage nearly similar to their petrol counterparts.
As opposed to CNG, where you actually get more kilometers to the KG/Liter.
Also, since CNG is downright cheap compared to any other fuel right now, CNG conversion makes the most sense.
And, not to forget, LPG/Autogas is also the subsidized fuel, just like Diesel.
So, come tomorrow, when it's time to reduce the burden on the govt, it will take all of 2 minutes for the politicos of this great nation to decide that it's time we reduce the subsidy on Autogas.
Thereby, raising its prices to levels similar to what petrol costed 2 years ago.

I'm in two minds. Even though my running with the Optra is not that much, it still sucks to fill 35 liters of fuel for 2500 bucks.
Only to have it take you around 350 km's in a mixed cycle(40% city and 60% highway).
What do you guys say? Does it make any sense? I don't see myself getting a new car, not for the next 2 years at least.
And, as said before, my running is mostly to the shops, malls on the weekends, and sometimes to the city outskirts for a drive. But, the running is limited, primarily due to petrol costs.
Convert the Optra and use it till she gives up on you.
The reason why I say this is because it will be like a mid life blood infusion into the car. You will not hesitate using it and fuel costs will be negligible. You can convert with a 25-30k kit open loop conventional kit and you will recover the costs within 6 months if you use about 1000 km a month.
frankmehta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2012, 17:46   #315
BHPian

Quote:
My fiancee's Verna was stalling like this. I realized it's an unclean air filter or weak spark plugs. In your case, the car is running fine on Petrol but it requires that extra effort from the spark plugs that might have given way. Why not try checking if they have turned black or the gap needs to be adjusted?
I had a full major service done by Honda just before conversion (2 months back) - which included air filter and spark plug replacement - I will still check both and see. Thanks.

When Eco Fuel try to tune the car, they do manage to resolve the switchover issue, but then something else goes wrong - check engine light comes on - or the idle speed suddenly dips to 500rpm causing a shudder, etc. so any change has to be rolled back. At the current state, switchover is a problem but at least after switching the car runs very smoothly so I am living with it.

BTW - the CNG to petrol switchover is also a bit jerky, but the car does not stall - manages to gasp its way through. While driving on petrol mode, the only perceivable change is a slight increase in idling noise.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks