Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2012, 17:45   #316
BHPian

Re: Advice on CNG Conversion

Thanks Pranav for your valuable inputs but i still need help in choosing the best cng kit for my old ohc I have spoken to Lovato dealership in Pune. They are quoting around 60k for a sequential type but are guaranteeing performance at par with petrol. Please advice!
Old 30th October 2012, 21:25   #317
BANNED

Has anyone experienced Break issues while running on cng? I mean breaks are comparatively less effective than they are on petrol. I have been facing/feeling this on my Accent. Got them checked at hyundai, they are fine. Had a couple of close calls on low speeds (2nd gear) especially.
Googled it - some people say the vacuum generated is less and it occurs if car reaches low rpms 500-600. And the solution is appropriate tuning of cng. My car runs smooth on cng. Idling rpm on cng is around 7-800.
Never faced this on petrol mode. Been driving on "petrol only" since last month just to be sure. No issues whatsoever. Maybe one of those moody car ghosts
Old 30th October 2012, 22:06   #318
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinhead
Has anyone experienced Break issues while running on cng? I mean breaks are comparatively less effective than they are on petrol. I have been facing/feeling this on my Accent. Got them checked at hyundai, they are fine. Had a couple of close calls on low speeds (2nd gear) especially.
Googled it - some people say the vacuum generated is less and it occurs if car reaches low rpms 500-600. And the solution is appropriate tuning of cng. My car runs smooth on cng. Idling rpm on cng is around 7-800.
Never faced this on petrol mode. Been driving on "petrol only" since last month just to be sure. No issues whatsoever. Maybe one of those moody car ghosts
Yes, I too face the same with my accent petrol converted into CNG.

If I try to drive in 2nd gear, in traffic, the break seems to be ineffective.

That's why, I downshift to first gear whenever i get stuck in traffic, which solves the problem to an extent.

The reason being less vaccum generated, rpm drops below 900. I don't face this problem in petrol, because idle rpm is higher in petrol compared to CNG.

Intact even in CNG without AC, the brakes seems to be good, though with AC in CNG, issue is there.

Hope this helps

Cheers,
Sameer
Old 30th October 2012, 23:16   #319
BANNED

Thanks a lot Sameer. I'll keep these in mind. I didnt know about "below 900" thing. Will get my cng tuned and check again.
Few more questions bro -
1) Are you using any spacers for rear springs?
2) Is the boot susceptible to cracks due to cylinder weight? I heard Maruti welds a plate below the boot and which supposedly transfers the weight to the chassis instead of the boot/body bearing the entire load
Old 31st October 2012, 01:15   #320
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinhead
Thanks a lot Sameer. I'll keep these in mind. I didnt know about "below 900" thing. Will get my cng tuned and check again.
Few more questions bro -
1) Are you using any spacers for rear springs?
2) Is the boot susceptible to cracks due to cylinder weight? I heard Maruti welds a plate below the boot and which supposedly transfers the weight to the chassis instead of the boot/body bearing the entire load
Do update me, if tuning works. I have wasted a lot of money and time on this, but nothing worked.

No I am not using spacers, the car is doing fine without them.

And, the cylinder weight is on the boot only and I am using it for quite a time, and no crack till date

Cheers,
Sameer
sameerg001 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2012, 08:58   #321
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinhead View Post
Why don't you raise the idle RPM. Any decent roadside shop can do it. They just have to rotate a screw to adjust rpm.
I had some vibration issues with my esteem, idle rpm was around 700-800. Raised it to 900-1000 and car runs way better now. Less vibrations and better pickup from standstill. Although fuel consumption increases a bit. Give it a try !
sudeep11787 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2012, 16:11   #322
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovemyOHC View Post
Thanks Pranav for your valuable inputs but i still need help in choosing the best cng kit for my old ohc I have spoken to Lovato dealership in Pune. They are quoting around 60k for a sequential type but are guaranteeing performance at par with petrol. Please advice!
I had a quote for 51K for sequential kit (I forgot the make, but I think it was Polish) for my 2005 Honda City. I was ok with the 15% drop in power, so I went for a closed loop, non-sequential. So yes, if you are keen on retaining petrol level performance, sequential is the only option. Elsewhere on team-bhp, I have seen quotes ranging from 41K (seemed odd) to 60K, mostly in the 50-55 range... for sequential. So I feel the quote you have is a bit on the higher side.

Honda is launching the City CNG model currently - maybe you can check through a dealer which brand they are using - even see if the dealer can recommend a fitting shop. BRC is one brand that is an OEM for Maruti and many others, when it comes to factory fitted CNG. Unfortunately, I do not have any first-hand data points on which brand of sequential kit would suit the OHC best.
Old 31st October 2012, 19:58   #323
BHPian

Hi, I want to put sequential CNG kit in Punto 1.4 Petrol. Please suggest any authorized kit and good installer around Noida and East Delhi. Thanks in advance.
Old 2nd November 2012, 11:22   #324
BHPian

I have recently fitted a Lovato Open loop kit on my 2007 AVEO (around 2 months back). The car has clocked approx 28000 Kms and I use it to travel from Thane to BKC approx 3 days a week (car pool) and another 30-40 kms on the weekend.

Now the car was performing BEAUTIFULLY before I got the kit installed. Even now, it runs quite well with a slight loss in power. But there are random instances where the car stalls, and then doesnt start on CNG, but works fine on petrol. Sometimes it restarts on CNG after a while, and sometimes it doesnt. Have replaced the Timing box on the kit once thru the fitter.

The issue is absolutely random, it has happened when I was reversing to park the car in my office or waiting to fill CNG at the bunk etc. It happened again this morning. When i take it to the CNG fitter (Ecofuel, Thane) he does some tuning and the car starts working like nothing has been ever wrong with it. The trend is, it repeats every 150 - 200 kms or so.

The car is preused and i bought it in FEB 2012 with 22000 on the odo.

Can anyone advice me on this please? I am worried that this stuff might actually hurt my car.
Old 2nd November 2012, 12:41   #325
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranav4x4 View Post
I had a quote for 51K for sequential kit (I forgot the make, but I think it was Polish) for my 2005 Honda City. I was ok with the 15% drop in power, so I went for a closed loop, non-sequential. So yes, if you are keen on retaining petrol level performance, sequential is the only option. Elsewhere on team-bhp, I have seen quotes ranging from 41K (seemed odd) to 60K, mostly in the 50-55 range... for sequential. So I feel the quote you have is a bit on the higher side.

Honda is launching the City CNG model currently - maybe you can check through a dealer which brand they are using - even see if the dealer can recommend a fitting shop. BRC is one brand that is an OEM for Maruti and many others, when it comes to factory fitted CNG. Unfortunately, I do not have any first-hand data points on which brand of sequential kit would suit the OHC best.
Thanks Pranav! I have finally decided to drop the idea of fitting a sequential, planning to go in for a closed loop kit with TAP. I have a quote for Lovato closed loop kit from a lovato dealer here in pune.. 32K with RTO!? Is that resonable?

Also do you have any contacts in Pune? Through a lot of research if the kit is not properly tuned or installed, the result could be drop in performance etc...
Old 2nd November 2012, 13:54   #326
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranav4x4 View Post
I had a full major service done by Honda just before conversion (2 months back) - which included air filter and spark plug replacement - I will still check both and see. Thanks.

When Eco Fuel try to tune the car, they do manage to resolve the switchover issue, but then something else goes wrong - check engine light comes on - or the idle speed suddenly dips to 500rpm causing a shudder, etc. so any change has to be rolled back. At the current state, switchover is a problem but at least after switching the car runs very smoothly so I am living with it.

BTW - the CNG to petrol switchover is also a bit jerky, but the car does not stall - manages to gasp its way through. While driving on petrol mode, the only perceivable change is a slight increase in idling noise.
I think me and pranav4x4 are facing the same issue. All the ecofuel guys do is turn the idling knob and the get the car up and running. I tried asking him last time if this is a spark plug issue and no one had any clue about it. Since i am a newbie i cant PM either pranav or frankmehta on this issue. But I am sick of the car stalling now and then and refusing to run on cng post stalling.
Ameya_G is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2012, 14:31   #327
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameya_G View Post
I think me and pranav4x4 are facing the same issue. All the ecofuel guys do is turn the idling knob and the get the car up and running. I tried asking him last time if this is a spark plug issue and no one had any clue about it. Since i am a newbie i cant PM either pranav or frankmehta on this issue. But I am sick of the car stalling now and then and refusing to run on cng post stalling.
A faulty ignition coil, or high tension cables in the car could lead to a poorer spark. Spark plug gaps also need to be adjusted. If ECOFUEL doesn't seem to sort your issue out, I would recommend a visit to my installer at Bandra. I am also dropping in there at 5ish today to submit some documents.
Old 2nd November 2012, 14:38   #328
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
A faulty ignition coil, or high tension cables in the car could lead to a poorer spark. Spark plug gaps also need to be adjusted. If ECOFUEL doesn't seem to sort your issue out, I would recommend a visit to my installer at Bandra. I am also dropping in there at 5ish today to submit some documents.
Thanks Frank - Where is this place in Bandra? I am visiting ecofuel in the afternoon today, however having gone thru the process atleast 4 times now, i know it will crop up again soon. Since my office is nearby, i can easily visit this place.
Old 2nd November 2012, 14:38   #329
BHPian

I just had a word with a CNG fitment center on Bibewadi road pune. He quoted 45k all inclusive for a lovato sequential kit!?? he even offered a test drive of a vehicle recently fitted with a lovato sequential kit.. Now I'm really confused as the lovato dealership quoted 60k for the sequential types so how come this dude is ready to offer the same for 45k including RTO...

Please advice as i don't wanna end up with a kit with after market parts.
Old 2nd November 2012, 14:51   #330
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovemyOHC View Post
32K with RTO!? Is that resonable?

Also do you have any contacts in Pune? Through a lot of research if the kit is not properly tuned or installed, the result could be drop in performance etc...
32K with RTO is what I paid, so it had better be reasonable Sorry, I don't have any contacts in Pune.

Most Viewed