Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2014, 03:06   #436
Max
BHPian

Re: Advice on CNG Conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeWizard View Post
Is it possible to remove a closed loop CNG kit from a car and then refit it into another car?
of course, you can remove any kind of CNG kit from the kar, however it leaves scares created by installation. Since, you are refitting, it should not be a problem.
Max is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2014, 05:31   #437
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4amish View Post
Not yet. The guy (Shivam NX @ koparkhairane) doesn't respect for our Team-BHP forum at all. In fact he made a mockery about it and asked me to contact and meet you guys from forum and fix the problem. Can some senior member who has been using CNG help me in person? If yes, plz inbox me separately.
One of my friends was facing the same problem. We got it fixed yesterday. The workshop guys changed a part which is called CKP and the car is working fine after that. Before that we spent an entire day at a different workshop to get the problem fixed but the problem will just not get solved.

nIk
nik0502 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2014, 06:28   #438

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik0502 View Post

One of my friends was facing the same problem. We got it fixed yesterday. The workshop guys changed a part which is called CKP and the car is working fine after that. Before that we spent an entire day at a different workshop to get the problem fixed but the problem will just not get solved.

nIk
Can you please post the pics of CKP here? How much does it cost? Is this CKP a part of Lenovo Sequential Kit? Please share more details about where it is located in the car, etc. Thanks!

Last edited by moralfibre : 7th May 2014 at 06:33. Reason: Plz = Please
Old 8th May 2014, 20:01   #439
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

My civic was converted to CNG (sequential kit) last month. Initially there were jerks @ exact 1500 rpm in CNG mode which significantly reduced after a throttle body cleaning and a ECU reset by Honda.However some minor jerks have returned exactly at the same 1500 rpm though in petrol mode it's silky smooth.What could the issue be ? Spark plugs and air filter are new.

Thanks
Old 8th May 2014, 22:55   #440
gemi_kk

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Hi,
My civic was converted to CNG (sequential kit) last month. Initially there were jerks @ exact 1500 rpm in CNG mode which significantly reduced after a throttle body cleaning and a ECU reset by Honda.However some minor jerks have returned exactly at the same 1500 rpm though in petrol mode it's silky smooth.What could the issue be ? Spark plugs and air filter are new.
Thanks
If i ask you to have grass as food for couple of months, how would you feel?
I feel the same way with your question. Not trying to hurt you or something. But, The same is the case with your car. Its choking when you are attempting to use an alternate fuel. Its an alternate fuel. Not even a proper substitute to petrol. No matter what ever analysis you get. Low RON fuel compounded by additional weight in boot.

Bud, you have a civic having the Mighty Ivtec. And you are asking it to run on CNG? No offence meant.

In my opinion, CNG kits are meant only for cheap cars. the small CC engines take the load and deliver. Civic is one car made with a lot of precision. Lot of care has been given to each and every component and you are trying to spoil your fun by getting CNG kit. Get rid of that kit and spend that amount on buying petrol. Even if you could run 10K or 20. Atleast it would serve you a year condering petrol cars run less. Have fun. And sell it. My 2 cents.

If something happens to gearbox or engine or even if the ECU blows off, will you be ready to take the pain? I know I sound harsh, but when you are asking about a CNG kit in a civic, it sounded harsher to me. Sorry.

OT: Try to check the Throttle body. Do you drive in dusty roads? Checked Oxygen sensor? Primary culprit could be the sequential injection Kit. Mind sharing the brand and the injectors used? If everything is fine, mostly, you would need a downgraded ECU to take up the load.

Last edited by gemi_kk : 8th May 2014 at 22:59.
  (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2014, 23:46   #441
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemi_kk View Post

If i ask you to have grass as food for couple of months, how would you feel?
I feel the same way with your question. Not trying to hurt you or something. But, The same is the case with your car. Its choking when you are attempting to use an alternate fuel. Its an alternate fuel. Not even a proper substitute to petrol. No matter what ever analysis you get. Low RON fuel compounded by additional weight in boot.

Bud, you have a civic having the Mighty Ivtec. And you are asking it to run on CNG? No offence meant.

In my opinion, CNG kits are meant only for cheap cars. the small CC engines take the load and deliver. Civic is one car made with a lot of precision. Lot of care has been given to each and every component and you are trying to spoil your fun by getting CNG kit. Get rid of that kit and spend that amount on buying petrol. Even if you could run 10K or 20. Atleast it would serve you a year condering petrol cars run less. Have fun. And sell it. My 2 cents.

If something happens to gearbox or engine or even if the ECU blows off, will you be ready to take the pain? I know I sound harsh, but when you are asking about a CNG kit in a civic, it sounded harsher to me. Sorry.

OT: Try to check the Throttle body. Do you drive in dusty roads? Checked Oxygen sensor? Primary culprit could be the sequential injection Kit. Mind sharing the brand and the injectors used? If everything is fine, mostly, you would need a downgraded ECU to take up the load.
Kindly ask the mods of this forum to delete this below thread before you ask me to remove the cng kit from my car.
I am looking for technical suggestions and not people's opinions.Please take your war on cng conversion on not cheap cars on some other thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...matic-cng.html

Thanks.
Old 9th May 2014, 02:28   #442
Max
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemi_kk View Post
Gemi, you have very wrong impression about CNG. Honda Civic and Honda city are one of the best cars for CNG conversion. If fitted and maintained properly, CNG car will work just like petrol car without any major lag / problems or harm to your car's engine. I converted my car to CNG about year ago and it has not given me any problems (not a single one) in last 20,000 kms. I also get amazing mileage of 22 kms in winter and 18kms in summer on CNG.

To enhance your CNG car performance make sure you do following:
1) When you start your car for first time in a day or after 2-3 hours make sure "ALWAYS" start it on petrol mode and run it on petrol for at least 2-3 minutes or till engine cold light goes off. Trust me this will hugely improve performance of your engine and you will face less trouble + wear and tear in long run.
2) Don't use your car on CNG mode for short distances say less then 1kms.
3) Always keep your air filter clean and change it every 10,000 - 15,000 kms.
4) Change spark plugs more frequently say every 15,000kms - 20,000 kms.
5) Do perform soap water test on joints yourself every 3-4 months at joints to make sure there is no leak.
6) If you don't know how to tune your CNG, get it tuned every 3-4 months from your installer.
Max is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2014, 05:29   #443
BHPian

Quote:
Can you please post the pics of CKP here? How much does it cost? Is this CKP a part of Lenovo Sequential Kit? Please share more details about where it is located in the car, etc. Thanks!
Hi a4amish,

CKP was located inside the engine bay. It looks almost same as the timing advancer in the CNG kit. His car has a tomasto sequential CNG kit. The cost of the Device was 1200 INR. Will try to get a pic soon.

nIk
nik0502 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2014, 10:17   #444
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by messershtig View Post
Hi guys. A friend of mine owns a 1.4L Aveo and is looking to put in a sequantial CNG kit. The car is 4.5 years old and has run 34k kms. He plans to turn it into a daily drive (35kms each way to his office); hence the CNG. We checked the forums but still have some questions. I hope this thread would be a good place to ask.
  1. the 1.4L Aveo isn't known to be a sprightly performer. What kind of performance drop (if any) is to be expected in CNG mode?
  2. What mileage can be expected on CNG? Currently it gets about 10.5-11 kmpl in city driving conditions on petrol.
  3. Aveo traditionally has a soft suspension setup, and the rear sags a bit with 5 people in the car. Do we need to do something about the suspension once the CNG tank is fitted? Stiffer springs perhaps?
  4. When should I expect to see a need for re-work of the engine in terms of number of kilometers done? From what little I could read from the internet, the car should ideally be good for another 60k odd kilometers. I plan to hold on to the car for another 5 years at least, as I have had a fairly trouble free ownership till now and it suits my needs pretty well.
  5. How reliably can the vehicle be expected to perform? Will CNG cause more breakdowns or develop nagging issues, etc? Basically, just trying to understand the drawbacks of getting a CNG kit installed (in a car that doesn't like to be pushed hard).
Thanks in advance
Hi,

Will attempt to answer your questions since I converted my Aveo to CNG and drove it for approx 20K kms before selling it off and moving to diesel.

1.) There is a little performance drop but not disturbing at all. Doesnt really create an issue in day to day commute. You will have to downshift more frequently than in petrol but i think its manageable.

2.) For a tankful (approx 9kg) you can expect 140-160 kms. I got this average on every single refill. Was mighty impressed.

3.) Hmmmm.. this is a question which would need an expert advice on. Post CNG conversion, my car didt quite feel the same. There were oil leakages which was fixed, the engine started gulping down more oil to the extent of 1 liter every 1000 kms and later on there was a knocking sound from the engine when running on petrol. However, there was no problem when running on CNG mode. Chevy service tries and rips you off if you ask them to open the engine and i was looking at a potential bill of 15k which I was not keen on. Hence sold it off. However i am not sure if this was entirely the cng's fault, but everyone seems to suggest that. I got the kit installed at 22k and used it till around 44k.

4.) Suspension!!! This is a big big issue. The car just crashes into bumps because of the additional weight in the boot. I would advice you to get the rear suspension set up raised at an independent garage. its not a costly affair and your car would thankyou for this investment. Trust me even small speedbumps look like a mountain without this modification.

5.) The car is actually a pleasure to drive. Drive it without pushing it too hard and it will cruise on without any issues. I did face some niggles here and there, but overall it was an OK experience.

Hope this gives you an idea of what to expect.
Ameya_G is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th May 2014, 00:45   #445

Hey thanks a lot Ameya. Guess my friend has a tough decision ahead of him. Expecially now that there is news that CNG might lose it's price advantage.
Old 24th June 2014, 16:06   #446
BHPian

Quote:
No sir. Pratik @Shivam NX tried resetting the ECU thrice in past 6 months but still the problem persists. Honestly the after-sales service is okay but they always try to ignore the old customers pretty fast. Please inbox me your mobile number. Lets connect and visit him together. I think we do have a weightage now being active members of team-bhp. I urge and request senior members of the forum who are local to navi mumbai to share their mobile numbers with us so that we can connect and discuss about my CNG problem. I paid 50k to shivam NX and they were very sweet at the start when I got the Lovato sequential kit installed.
Hey a4amish, I am not able to PM you hence quoting an old post.

Do you still run the Beat on CNG? Have your problems been resolved? If yes then do share the solutions.

How many kms does your car run on a full tank of gas?

I have a Beat too and will be installing a CNG kit soon
StrangeWizard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2014, 21:47   #447

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeWizard View Post
Hey a4amish, I am not able to PM you hence quoting an old post.

Do you still run the Beat on CNG? Have your problems been resolved? If yes then do share the solutions.

How many kms does your car run on a full tank of gas?

I have a Beat too and will be installing a CNG kit soon
@StrangeWizard I still use Chevrolet Beat PS with an additional CNG - Lovato Sequential Kit installed from Shivam NX @ Koparkhairane, Navi Mumbai.

Problem has been reduced after the last time the Shivam NX @Koparkhairane guy did some tweaks (He did not tell me what exactly he did).

Full Tank i.e. 9 Kgs - 10 Kgs. CNG runs for almost 190 - 200 Kms.

We are new members so we are not able to Inbox or PM it looks like. I request the Admin to allow us to PM because it would be great if the local members who stay nearby in Mumbai / Navi Mumbai area can connect personally to resolve this kind of issues. There might be few members who have got their CNG kits installed from this vendor i.e. Shivam NX @ Koparkhairane, Navi Mumbai itself. As I had mentioned earlier, the owner of Shivam NX - Pratik Panchal sounded very agitated when I used our Team-BHP forum's name and few optional solutions. He is little bit rude and carries a lot of attitude as if he know everything on this planet when it comes to Lovato CNG Sequential Kits.

Admins / Mods: Please help us if you can, we just wish to connect in-person to resolve our problems here which are specifically related to CNG Kits and installations. We agree that we are new members but we do deserve to connect in real life.
Old 24th June 2014, 21:52   #448

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameya_G View Post
Hi,

Will attempt to answer your questions since I converted my Aveo to CNG and drove it for approx 20K kms before selling it off and moving to diesel.

4.) Suspension!!! This is a big big issue. The car just crashes into bumps because of the additional weight in the boot. I would advice you to get the rear suspension set up raised at an independent garage. its not a costly affair and your car would thankyou for this investment. Trust me even small speedbumps look like a mountain without this modification.
Hi, could you please help me out with a tried & tested Garage or technician who can do the above for my Chevrolet Beat in Navi Mumbai area? I am okay if you can share the address and directions to the Garage if it is located on Mumbai area too. I can drive there, no problems in that. Your help would be much appreciated Sir.
Old 24th June 2014, 23:47   #449
BHPian

Quote:
Hi, could you please help me out with a tried & tested Garage or technician who can do the above for my Chevrolet Beat in Navi Mumbai area? I am okay if you can share the address and directions to the Garage if it is located on Mumbai area too. I can drive there, no problems in that. Your help would be much appreciated Sir.
Sure - the mechanic's name is bashir and his number is 09324476866. Sorry i am a newbie and cant send PMs.
His location is Near Kaushalya hospital in Thane West. You can google for Kaushalya hospital's address and reach him.
You can give him my reference - incase he doesnt recognise my name - tell him the guy with the white SX4 and he will remember.
Old 25th June 2014, 01:34   #450

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik0502 View Post

Hi a4amish,

CKP was located inside the engine bay. It looks almost same as the timing advancer in the CNG kit. His car has a tomasto sequential CNG kit. The cost of the Device was 1200 INR. Will try to get a pic soon.

nIk
Waiting for the pic. of CKP Buddy.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks