Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2014, 21:26   #511
BANNED

Re: Advice on CNG Conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandm4n View Post
Hyundai Getz 1.3 petrol I have.
I have a Hyundai Accent on a normal Tomasetto kit. I get 20+ on highways if I don't cross 90kmph. In Delhi+ NCR I get around 13kmpl. (both with ac). With sensible throttle inputs and driving at 85 to 90kmph, I have also extracted 260km from my 12kg tank on the Delhi-Chd highway.
Maybe the sequential kit delivers better power & performance, and hence slightly lesser mileage.

Though my knowledge on this is limited , but just sharing my experience.

1) Clean Air filter. It gets dirty too soon. It needs to be cleaned sometimes even before 5000kms. On cng, its effect is more pronounced.

2) Spark plugs. I got Ngks this time. Yes they do "feel" better somehow. I didn't adjust the gap. Installed them as they came.

3) My car has done 85K kms. So I changed the Spark plug wire too. (no reason, I just wanted to - assuming it takes a hit due to the engine & plugs running hotter because of CNG).

4) My engine was running hotter than usual, car was loosing power in dense traffic with ac on, though Temp needle was at its regular level. Reason the Coolant+water in the Radiator was too low. Though the coolant level in the reservoir located in the engine bay, was fine. I somehow forgot about the level in the Radiator. Got this sorted in time.

5) I also got the throttle body cleaned last month. It does contribute to the overall performance.

So, with all these in place, the car is very responsive and really smooth and I assume that the mileage in the city might have improved. I haven't checked it lately.
sinhead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2014, 08:28   #512
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillaian View Post
Hello All,
I wanted to convert to a sequential CNG kit but was not convinced if it will work fine, I saw above post from frank and understand it will work well with honda's, if anyone has recently converted their City to cng please advice on the workshop also if i can continue to take the car to Honda for servicing, someone told me hondas will not accept for servicing as the car has been modified.
Thanks !
You can call up Suraj Auto's Mr Jain and have a word with him regarding conversion of the City AT.If it works well with a Civic AT i am sure it would work well with a City AT as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik0502 View Post
I don't think there should be any problem converting City AT to CNG. About Honda servicing, it's true. Honda will not accept the car for any kind of repair work.
nIk
It's not true that Honda won't do any repairs if the car has a CNG kit. I have given my car to Linkway Honda for throttle body cleaning and for diagnostic after fitting the CNG. They were not finicky about it. The HASS adviser called up his senior technician and asked if they would have a car for work if it had a CNG kit on it.He replied with a affirmative and i got the job done through them.At most they won't touch your CNG kit.For general service etc i don't think they want to lose customers by saying no since more and more cars are getting fitted with CNG these days.
Old 1st December 2014, 02:35   #513
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

I drive a 2006 Baleno with a Lovato CNG kit - installed in 2012. On a full tank (which would be around 8-9 kg) :
Within city limits, with a/c switched on - it returns me around 100-110 kms. In heavy traffic, it reduces to around 90 kms.

On highways - its taken the car upto 210 kms on a full tank. We drove to Lonavala at 2AM - A/C off - 3 people - at a consistent speed of 80-90 kmph. I was surprised to see the first green light go off at 58 kms. The second one went off at 98 kms. Wasnt too bothered to check after that.
We drove from Andheri to Lonavala (Kamats) and back and still had an orange bar left.
Attached Thumbnails
Advice on CNG Conversion-baleno-cng-indicator.jpg  

Old 2nd January 2015, 16:20   #514
Max
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
I drive a 2006 Baleno with a Lovato CNG kit - installed in 2012. On a full tank (which would be around 8-9 kg) :
Within city limits, with a/c switched on - it returns me around 100-110 kms. In heavy traffic, it reduces to around 90 kms.
Your mileage is very low, change spark plugs, air filter and perform some general maintenance for better mileage. My recent run to pune gave me 30km / kg mileage on express way (40% a/c). Speed 90km/hour.
Old 2nd January 2015, 18:55   #515
BANNED

My Swift is on BRC CNG for the last 3 years or so. Recently, the car has started vibrating a lot on idle. Any idea what could be the reason.

Another question - do you get your CNG kit serviced regularly at the fitter? How often? Is it before or after your regular car service? How much does it cost?
Old 8th January 2015, 13:03   #516
BHPian

There is an article today in Mumbai Miror mentioning about rich gas and lean gas in CNG. It seems Mumbai is getting rich gas for last 2-3 days which is leading to problems such as stall and getting more cng filled in tank. What I can understand Rich gas has lesser amount of Methane as compared to lean gas. It has been also mentioned lean gas is better than rich gas and has better calorific value.

So when the pump owner puts a board that gas is mixed it means Rich Gas, due to this the same tank which can fill 8 kgs of lean gas gets full with 10kg of Rich gas. There is no advantage of rich gas as what I can make out. The car which goes 120 km on leand gas of 8 kg will travel same 120 kms in rich gas of 10 kgs so obviously the fuel efficiency drops.

Earlier it was mentioned that rich gas was used to clean the system and all but the fact is there is no benefit with rich gas. Also the news has reported Auto's stalling due to this rich gas.
Old 8th January 2015, 13:55   #517
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhkum View Post
There is an article today in Mumbai Miror mentioning about rich gas and lean gas in CNG. It seems Mumbai is getting rich gas for last 2-3 days which is leading to problems such as stall and getting more cng filled in tank. What I can understand Rich gas has lesser amount of Methane as compared to lean gas. It has been also mentioned lean gas is better than rich gas and has better calorific value.

So when the pump owner puts a board that gas is mixed it means Rich Gas, due to this the same tank which can fill 8 kgs of lean gas gets full with 10kg of Rich gas. There is no advantage of rich gas as what I can make out. The car which goes 120 km on leand gas of 8 kg will travel same 120 kms in rich gas of 10 kgs so obviously the fuel efficiency drops.

Earlier it was mentioned that rich gas was used to clean the system and all but the fact is there is no benefit with rich gas. Also the news has reported Auto's stalling due to this rich gas.

Never heard about this in NCR region..I have been constantly getting 160 to 180kms per refill.
Old 8th January 2015, 14:26   #518
BHPian

The good part is that at least MGL is acknowledging about the issue and people have a choice to fill petrol rather than gas. But the poor cab/ricksaw drivers and hapless commuters suffer. No idea how the CNG kits and engines will get affected though.

MGL really need to get their act together and ensure that this issue is sorted out ASAP. Its absolutely unacceptable that such a large firm is not able to control the purity of the gas.
Old 16th January 2015, 19:24   #519
BHPian

I have a Honda City ZX 2006 EXI converted to sequential CNG (Lovato) in Feb 2014. I get around 200km for 9.5kg in Pune City and around 280km for the same quantity on highways. Pretty satisfied with the mileage. I always religiously use the car on petrol when I start it (cold or hot start) and run it for more than 2 kms on petrol. The last one km. is also on petrol.

Recently, an issue has cropped up. The CNG indicator sometimes goes to red irrespective of the amount of CNG available in tank and after sometime automatically starts increasing till it shows the correct level. Also, I've noticed when I turn off the engine while the car is in CNG mode, a beeping sound (beep-beep-beep) starts which persists for a couple of seconds and the indicator goes off.

Both these issues are new. On the other hand, the car drives well just like on petrol without any niggles, even minor ones. Rpms are rock steady and there are no jerks as usually reported with CNG conversion problems.
Old 18th January 2015, 18:01   #520
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagzrk View Post
I've noticed when I turn off the engine while the car is in CNG mode, a beeping sound (beep-beep-beep) starts which persists for a couple of seconds and the indicator goes off.
I have started getting this beep sound recently too but i have noticed that it happens when i switch off the car in CNG mode then i get the sound and not while switching off in petrol.For your other issue i think you should take the car to the CNG fitter for a checkup.
Old 22nd January 2015, 11:06   #521
BHPian

Anybody converted Honda Accord (2007-2010) model on CNG? If yes, what is the experience in terms of power and overall fuel efficiency. I know converting an Accord seems little exaggerated - however, if one gets a good model in 3-4 lakhs and tried to convert it in CNG, it should be good, ain't it? Hence I wanted to know if anyone has tried it.
What could be the maintenance cost, considering its a Honda and an Accord
Old 26th February 2015, 05:52   #522

Any body converted Fiesta 2011-14 petrol 1500 cc automatic car to cng.I want to convert mine which has just done 8500km only since 2012. many including converters told,not to bother converting unless the drive is high.mine is 8000km/year max. pl advice
Old 26th February 2015, 08:22   #523
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by usatya View Post
Any body converted Fiesta 2011-14 petrol 1500 cc automatic car to cng.I want to convert mine which has just done 8500km only since 2012. many including converters told,not to bother converting unless the drive is high.mine is 8000km/year max. pl advice
If running is around 12k to 15k kms annually then its ok but for 8k kms which translates to a mere 600 to 700 kms a month i think its not worth the trouble.Enjoy faster refueling and better pickup with your petrol car.
Old 26th February 2015, 08:43   #524
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You need to re think. I had researched to convert my earlier Fiesta to CNG but many advised against it. Firstly Ford engines don't support CNG conversion and secondly none of the workshops guaranteed the mileage benefits post the conversion. Add to that the maintenance woes after the conversion give you unnecessary headaches.

I assume your Fiesta is out of warranty. If you trust your service centre and are sure that the service post conversion remains unchanged, you can think about investing the same. Or use the amount to buy petrol and keep happily revving.
Old 26th February 2015, 10:22   #525
BHPian

Quote:
Any body converted Fiesta 2011-14 petrol 1500 cc automatic car to cng.I want to convert mine which has just done 8500km
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
You need to re think. I....but many advised against it. Firstly Ford engines don't support CNG conversion ......woes after the conversion give you unnecessary headaches.
All engines can be converted to CNG.
I would request you to not say things like
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Ford engines don't support CNG conversion
This is complete rubbish.

It just depends completely on the installation. Most of the ford and other american engines are very very stringent on emission norms. Hence even if any parameter of operation changes ever so minutely, the engines tries to "compensate" this is how smart they are.
You just need a good CNG kit and an installer who has the knowhow to install it and more importantly tune it.
There are very few installers capabale of this and more importantly are trained for this sort of job.
I have driven beemers and mercs converted to LPG and CNG. Those engines are far more refined and over engineered than fords/chevrolets.
What you are asking for can be done, but i stress on the installation.

Last edited by HimuraKenshin : 26th February 2015 at 10:24. Reason: missed a point
HimuraKenshin is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks