Old 26th February 2015, 12:05   #526
Senior - BHPian

Re: Advice on CNG Conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by HimuraKenshin View Post
All engines can be converted to CNG.
I would request you to not say things like

This is complete rubbish.

It just depends completely on the installation.
I appreciate your views. I had visited the best installer in my place who was RTO approved and day in day out used to install the latest technology CNG kits. But most of his customers were Suzuki, Hyundai or Honda owners. And Ford customers was a rarity. The CNG installation on the Ford Ikons were a big failure with many post installation issues (read significant drop in engine performance/reduced mileage). It was the installer himself who distanced from installing one on a Ford car citing the very issues which had been faced with earlier CNG converted Ford cars. How many CNG converted Ford cars owners have put their ownership thread on the forum? And are happy with it?
Old 26th February 2015, 20:23   #527
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by usatya View Post
Any body converted Fiesta 2011-14 petrol 1500 cc automatic car to cng.I want to convert mine which has just done 8500km only since 2012. many including converters told,not to bother converting unless the drive is high.mine is 8000km/year max. pl advice
With just 8K running, doesn't make a sense installing it. You'll probably end up selling the car before the investment of kit pays off.
Old 4th March 2015, 22:18   #528
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
How many CNG converted Ford cars owners have put their ownership thread on the forum? And are happy with it?
Just because he is certified by the RTO does not mean that he is knowledgeable. Getting a piece of paper is not that difficult in India.
All i want to tell you in that i've seen v6 chevys, v6 dodges on CNG and also seen a Jaguar running on LPG. It is very much possible to convert a ford to CNG. Its just the type of kit and installation that needs to be done properly.
Old 27th March 2015, 20:18   #529

Recently, I enquired about CNG fitment in my 2008 sx4.
One of the dealers quoted 30k for lovato lambda conventional kit and told sequential kit is not supported for this model.
Another dealer quoted 42k for Tomasetto sequential kit. Both prices are exclusive of RTO charges.
Are these prices appropriate?
Which one should I go for?
Any good CNG fitters in Delhi someone might know of?
Old 30th March 2015, 16:27   #530
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjunbagga7 View Post
One of the dealers quoted 30k for lovato lambda conventional kit and told sequential kit is not supported for this model.
Another dealer quoted 42k for Tomasetto sequential kit. Both prices are exclusive of RTO charges.
Go in for the sequential kit.
Make sure it is installed from a reputed installer.
the SX4 has a drive by wire throttle, a venturi based kit is a strict no no.
Old 30th March 2015, 17:07   #531
BHPian

Quote:
The best and most experienced, from my personal experience is AA CNG. He is in GT Karnal road. Prices a bit on the higher side, but won't take you for a ride.
Old 30th March 2015, 22:26   #532

@himurakenshin thanks for your advice.
@amitpunjani interestingly, the price that i am telling for the conventional kit was quoted by AA cng. A car dealer and a trusted mechanic both referred me to the same person, and now a referral from someone on tbhp, I feel I won't need to worry their expertise now. Thanks for your advice
Old 31st March 2015, 23:09   #533
BHPian

Quote:
@himurakenshin thanks for your advice.
@amitpunjani interestingly, the price that i am telling for the conventional kit was quoted by AA cng. A car dealer and a trusted mechanic both referred me to the same person, and now a referral from someone on tbhp, I feel I won't need to worry their expertise now. Thanks for your advice
I installed Cng in Santro from AA, extremely satisfied with his work. Owner name is Amit Aggarwal, you can quote my name, also Amit to him, he might offer some discount. Infact he has installed the kit in his own sx4, ask for a trail, surely he won't deny.

Last edited by amitpunjani : 31st March 2015 at 23:10.
Old 1st April 2015, 00:19   #534

Now, I would surely quote him your name. And, if he agrees to the trial of his car, all my doubts against cng would be solved, I believe.
By the way, how much did it cost you to fit the cng in your santro. Which company, type is it?
Old 1st April 2015, 00:47   #535
BHPian

I have a CNG Santro which suddenly stopped running on CNg yesterday evening. Runs well on Petrol
Took the car to one CNG guy and he said something on the lines of: The reducer is running very cold. We will need to route a pipe from the radiator around it to warm it up.

This sounded weird so went for a second opinion. The second guy said that the stepper motor isnt functioning properly and thus changed it to a manual value. The car is running now but I am not convinced. The mechanic said its the same thing but easier to tune.

Did we not just cut off the feedback loop that regulates gas flow?

Replies will be appreciated.
Old 1st April 2015, 09:55   #536
BHPian

Quote:
Now, I would surely quote him your name. And, if he agrees to the trial of his car, all my doubts against cng would be solved, I believe.
By the way, how much did it cost you to fit the cng in your santro. Which company, type is it?
I did the installation in 2009, touch wood no problems at all because of CNG kit. The kit was BRC.
Old 1st April 2015, 14:44   #537
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshaymahajan View Post
I have a CNG Santro which suddenly stopped running on CNg yesterday evening. Runs well on Petrol
Took the car to one CNG guy and he said something on the lines of: The reducer is running very cold. We will need to route a pipe from the radiator around it to warm it up.

This sounded weird so went for a second opinion. The second guy said that the stepper motor isnt functioning properly and thus changed it to a manual value. The car is running now but I am not convinced. The mechanic said its the same thing but easier to tune.

Did we not just cut off the feedback loop that regulates gas flow?
Yes, what the mechanic essentially did was cut the feedback loop. You now have an open loop system, instead of the previous closed loop.

Most CNG kits used outside of india have the coolant flowing through the reducer to increase the temperature.
When a highly pressurized gas is released through a small orifice it causes sudden drop in temperature. Since the ambient temperature in India is relatively high, usually they do not run the coolant through the reducer.

If you car is running fine on open loop, you can keep it this way. Else try swapping out the stepper motor and check if it was really the stepper motor at fault.
It is very strange for the reducer to suddenly start freezing up in our temperature, if this happens, it is probably time for you to service the reducer, which would involve replacing all springs and diaphragms.
Do post some detailed pictures for the engine bay, ill try to guide you.
HimuraKenshin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2015, 20:23   #538
Max
BHPian

Saw an totaled CNG Car, glad to see no damage to CNG cylinder. Looks like CNG is safe during crash accident. What are your thoughts?

Advice on CNG Conversion-img_20150502_170129943.jpg

Advice on CNG Conversion-img_20150502_170216444.jpg
Max is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2015, 21:15   #539
BANNED

Would a sequential CNG kit work on the Accord AT (2009-2010 onwards) 2.4 engine? How big of a tank am I looking at and theoretical range per tank?
Old 15th May 2015, 23:15   #540
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post
Saw an totaled CNG Car, glad to see no damage to CNG cylinder. Looks like CNG is safe during crash accident. What are your thoughts?

Attachment 1371014
The CNG Cylinder is the safest part of the car and the most structurally sound. No authorised or approved CNG cylinder would burst even if you set off a stick of dynamite under it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kisharchit View Post
Would a sequential CNG kit work on the Accord AT (2009-2010 onwards) 2.4 engine? How big of a tank am I looking at and theoretical range per tank?
Yes, it would work very well. Hondas are quite easy to convert. You can put a 19 Litre tank..This tank can store up to 14-15 Kgs of CNG if im not mistaken
You will get upto 40% of an increase of your petrol mileage on each KG of gas.
HimuraKenshin is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks