Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2015, 15:42   #541
BHPian

Re: Advice on CNG Conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by kisharchit View Post
Would a sequential CNG kit work on the Accord AT (2009-2010 onwards) 2.4 engine? How big of a tank am I looking at and theoretical range per tank?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HimuraKenshin View Post
Yes, it would work very well. Hondas are quite easy to convert. You can put a 19 Litre tank..This tank can store up to 14-15 Kgs of CNG if im not mistaken
You will get upto 40% of an increase of your petrol mileage on each KG of gas.
I was advised against buying any petrol car over 2.0 L engine here in Pune citing RTO law that such cars cannot be converted to CNG. The engine size has to be less that 2L. I was anyway not interested in a fuel guzzler so didn't bother to check the authenticity of the information at that time.

Is it true that larger engine sizes are not approved for CNG? Or is it as per the whims and fantasies of the respective RTO's of cities?
Old 17th May 2015, 17:59   #542
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagzrk View Post
I was advised against buying any petrol car over 2.0 L engine here in Pune citing RTO law that such cars cannot be converted to CNG. The engine size has to be less that 2L. I was anyway not interested in a fuel guzzler so didn't bother to check the authenticity of the information at that time.

Is it true that larger engine sizes are not approved for CNG? Or is it as per the whims and fantasies of the respective RTO's of cities?
I have a friend who has an Accord 2.4 engine and is fully satisfied with CNG as it is his daily driver so he gets the comfort, power, and economy.

Also there was a Porsche Cayenne in Delhi which got a CNG conversion so I guess it is fine to have engines over 2L.
Old 17th May 2015, 21:56   #543
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagzrk View Post
Or is it as per the whims and fantasies of the respective RTO's of cities?
you got that right
Old 29th June 2015, 16:20   #544
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Need your advice. I have a ford fiesta 1.4 Duratec. I wanted to know if any one of bhpians have first hand experience of ford fiesta with cng. I have enqired a lot. All the fitment centres say that there will be no problem however I have not seen any single fiesta on cng stations. I spoke to a guy here who is positive about the fitment and is asking for 20k for a tomasto sequential kit however a guy who works at his centre says there will be misfiring problem after the installation.

nIk
Old 29th June 2015, 16:43   #545
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik0502 View Post
Hi Guys,

Need your advice. I have a ford fiesta 1.4 Duratec. I wanted to know if any one of bhpians have first hand experience of ford fiesta with cng. I have enqired a lot. All the fitment centres say that there will be no problem however I have not seen any single fiesta on cng stations. I spoke to a guy here who is positive about the fitment and is asking for 20k for a tomasto sequential kit however a guy who works at his centre says there will be misfiring problem after the installation.

nIk
Consider the financial aspect as well. With an approx 20rs of difference between Petrol and CNG, and 20K you are spending upfront, have you calculated how much time it would take to balance out the expense ? and for how many years you'll continue using the car ? With min running, I would recommend running the car on Petrol, and in the end get a good resale value(resale would take a hit if CNG is in place)
Old 29th June 2015, 18:16   #546
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik0502 View Post
Hi Guys,

nIk
Avoid retro fitting a CNG kit to the Ford.

Ford engines are performance oriented and naturally aspirated engines.
CNG retro fit could result in missed timing and sort of makes the car short of breath.
You can change the filters but the kit is certainly not advisable.

The walk around is to get a sequential kit at close to Rs. 65K as the open looped set up will lead to tuning adjustments every now and then.
Old 30th June 2015, 10:03   #547
BHPian

Hi Arnab,
I am talking about sequential kit only. I have mentioned the same in post. Sequential kits dont cost that much these days. The costliest is lovato which cost approx 40k.

That's why I said I am looking for people with 1st hand experience with Fiesta.

nIk

Last edited by nik0502 : 30th June 2015 at 10:05.
Old 30th June 2015, 13:26   #548
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptaneja View Post
Consider the financial aspect as well. With an approx 20rs of difference between Petrol and CNG, and 20K you are spending upfront, have you calculated how much time it would take to balance out the expense ? and for how many years you'll continue using the car ? With min running, I would recommend running the car on Petrol, and in the end get a good resale value(resale would take a hit if CNG is in place)
Hi ptaneja,

I am not worried about recovering the cost as my monthly usage is more tha 2k kms. Currently I am using my 2005 Esteem for the usage and fieata is not being used much. And I visit the cng station very frequently and have not seen any fiesta so far on cng. Resale is also not a problem as j don't sell my cars. I plan to keep them as far as I can and at the same time fiestas any which ways don't command high resale in today's time. My esteem has an approximate expense of 40k plus because of known rusting issues with it. So I am just in doubt weather I should spend such an amount on esteem or shall I convert fiesta on cng and just keep the esteem for the sake of it.

nIk

Last edited by nik0502 : 30th June 2015 at 13:33.
Old 9th July 2015, 11:49   #549
BHPian

Need help once again. I have a Honda City Gxi 2005 60k kms done, retrofitted with a sequential Lovato Kit. It has clocked 21k on CNG. From last one month I am facing couple of problems:

1. Car Stalls in the 1st cold start of the day especially when swithover to gas happens.
2. Jerks intermittently when you shift gears. Relatively lesser jerks at higher speeds and aggressive at lower rpms.
3. With AC on, RPM dips too low that car shivers when the AC cuts off. Throttle body cleaning doesn’t help. No improvements

To summarize, If I drop power and demand again [Let’s say I am on 2nd and at 2000 rpm, I brake slightly coming down to 1000 rpm and accelerate then car starts coughing badly vert badly, as if it’s choking and about to stall but recovers if I press the clutch and pick up. Second scenario at higher speeds, say 80kmph, I take my leg off pedal and press accelerator again then it slightly hiccups but not that aggressively.

It has become bad lately and I can’t live with that any longer. Mechanic says it can be because of either the Plugs or the Ignition Coils. Is there a definitive way to check if the coils are in good shape or not. To add to misery, this model has 8 plugs and coils. How can you determine if at all any has gone kaput or is something else out of place.

Someone suggested fuel pump or flywheel as the culprit but I doubt that causing such issue. I don’t want to play in blind and have no solution and ending up paying for things that were good

Appreciate your help at the earliest

Rgds,
J
Old 9th July 2015, 13:44   #550
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorajay View Post
Need help once again. I have a Honda City Gxi 2005 60k kms done, retrofitted with a sequential Lovato Kit. It has clocked 21k on CNG. From last one month I am facing couple of problems:

1. Car Stalls in the 1st cold start of the day especially when swithover to gas happens.
2. Jerks intermittently when you shift gears. Relatively lesser jerks at higher speeds and aggressive at lower rpms.
3. With AC on, RPM dips too low that car shivers when the AC cuts off. Throttle body cleaning doesn’t help. No improvements

To summarize, If I drop power and demand again [Let’s say I am on 2nd and at 2000 rpm, I brake slightly coming down to 1000 rpm and accelerate then car starts coughing badly vert badly, as if it’s choking and about to stall but recovers if I press the clutch and pick up. Second scenario at higher speeds, say 80kmph, I take my leg off pedal and press accelerator again then it slightly hiccups but not that aggressively.

It has become bad lately and I can’t live with that any longer. Mechanic says it can be because of either the Plugs or the Ignition Coils. Is there a definitive way to check if the coils are in good shape or not. To add to misery, this model has 8 plugs and coils. How can you determine if at all any has gone kaput or is something else out of place.

Someone suggested fuel pump or flywheel as the culprit but I doubt that causing such issue. I don’t want to play in blind and have no solution and ending up paying for things that were good

Appreciate your help at the earliest

Rgds,
J
This looks more likely ignition coils, or mis-configured CNG kit. Hows the situation in Petrol ? Any jerks, misfires etc in petrol ? if its OK in petrol, then get the sequential kit checked via laptop and tuning software.
If Petrol is even half bad as CNG, then get to a nearby garage, have them replace one coil after another to check which is faulty (or presence of oil in it)
Old 9th July 2015, 13:58   #551
BHPian

Quote:
This looks more likely ignition coils, or mis-
If Petrol is even half bad as CNG, then get to a nearby garage, have them replace one coil after another to check which is faulty (or presence of oil in it)
Yes Jerkinh is also equally existent on Petrol. But yes you don't feel that bad on petrol mode as the effect would extrapolate on gas. I had been to the mechanic yesterday. He tried to inspect them visually and derive which are bad. I couldn't rely much on that way of seeing white deposit in the coil or the smell. There weren't oil deposits on them.

Swapping is doable but how many at a time should we swap? Frankly parts store guy would be considerate for one or two coils but if that doesn't solve the issue then i am stuck again.

So has to be the coils yea? If yes, isn't there a way to test that apart from swapping etc.

Rgds,
J
Old 9th July 2015, 17:13   #552
BHPian

Quote:
------
I am also facing similar issues in my CNGed Spark from some time. Unable to get it resolved. Changed filters and spark plug till now.

Any pointers to resolve the issue?
Old 13th July 2015, 19:16   #553
BHPian

Quote:
Yes Jerkinh is also equally existent on Petrol. But yes you don't feel that bad on petrol mode as the effect would extrapolate on gas. I had been to the mechanic yesterday. He tried to inspect them visually and derive which are bad. I couldn't rely much on that way of seeing white deposit in the coil or the smell. There weren't oil deposits on them.

Swapping is doable but how many at a time should we swap? Frankly parts store guy would be considerate for one or two coils but if that doesn't solve the issue then i am stuck again.

So has to be the coils yea? If yes, isn't there a way to test that apart from swapping etc.

Rgds,
J
Sorrry for late reply ... missed my email !

As far as my CNG experience goes, it has to be -
1. Coils - get the checked one by one, replaced if needed.
2. Spark Plugs - get them changed to NGK CNG plugs.
(https://www.ngk.de/en/products-techn...g-spark-plugs/)
3. Clogged Injectors - get the injector cleaning done.
4. Throttle Body - use 3M throttle spray for cleaning ( Cleaning with Petrol has never worked for me )

My known mechanic used couple of new coils to identify the faulty one's. He had no problem in returning the coil back to the box if not used. Also If I remember correctly, he did used a normal wire too to test something for coils - not sure what, why or how !

Thumb Rule - dont check the misfirings in CNG, make sure car runs smoothly on Petrol first. Unless that is fixed, CNG will amplify it 5 times.
ptaneja is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2015, 17:28   #554
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
2. Spark Plugs - get them changed to NGK CNG plugs.
(https://www.ngk.de/en/products-techn...g-spark-plugs/)
3. Clogged Injectors - get the injector cleaning done.
Hi,

can you tell us the no. & the price of the spark plug specially for CNG

Thanks.
Old 14th August 2015, 18:06   #555
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
My known mechanic used couple of new coils to identify the faulty one's. He had no problem in returning the coil back to the box if not used. Also If I remember correctly, he did used a normal wire too to test something for coils - not sure what, why or how !
Hi, Saw this thread quite a bit late. Even I have a Honda City ZX. The ignition coils on the City iDSI are notorious to fail especially the ones at the back. Coughing and jerking, dead response or stall at lower rpm on this version of City almost definitely point to the ignition coil issues when spark plugs and injectors are good.

For a sequential CNG Kit, there are not going to be any problems with the kit for really long. Yes, Issues on Petrol are amplified 3x on CNG primarily because of lack of petrol grunt (read power) but unfortunately CNG takes the blame. Condition of Spark plugs and Spark plug gaps also matter a lot.

The only two DIY ways to check for ignition coil failure I found (apart from swapping each one with a good one) are:

1. Check connecting spark plug to each coil and cranking the engine. Blue-spark = good, orange or its shades = bad.

2. Measure resistance - 0.75 to 1.5 ohms for primary and 7500 to 10,500 ohms for secondary.

Details:
http://www.wikihow.com/Test-an-Ignition-Coil
jagzrk is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks