Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2015, 21:04   #556
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Re: Advice on CNG Conversion

My Swift CNG was done by Greenglobe. I have done around 30000 kms on the CNG in around 4 years I think. A back month, I drove solely on Petrol for around 3 weeks - didn't have time to fill CNG - tank was empty. After 3 weeks, I filled gas and car stuttered and stop as soon as I shifted to CNG. Tried this quite a few times for a week and finally took it to Greenglobe. I had to leave the car. Next day, the guy called me and gave me a an estimate of 4500 Rs. He said throttle body has to be cleaned and also there is some problem with the electricals and also my CNG has to be converted from closed loop to open loop - he said all closed loop systems eventually need to be converted to open loop with time. I have never fully trusted Greenglobe, so I told him not to do it. I don't drive much these days - may be 300 kms a month or so. So I thought, I'll just remove the CNG system and just use petrol - the 30K I paid for fitting CNG has more than broken even. I paid them 350 for diagnosis and took my car back. The car is running fine on CNG now. As good as new.

If this happens again, I'll take it to Suraj or some other vendor and get it checked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
can you tell us the no. & the price of the spark plug specially for CNG
Greenglobe used NGK BKR6E (Gap 0.9 mm) on my car at the time of CNG fitting and I have been continuing with that whenever I need to change it. I think it's somewhere between 100 to 150 per plug. I don't know whether it's specially for CNG or not.

Last edited by carboy : 18th August 2015 at 21:10.
carboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2015, 21:17   #557
Senior - BHPian

The throttle body cleaning should be done in how many kms interval?

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 18th August 2015 at 21:20.
Old 19th August 2015, 12:38   #558
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
The throttle body cleaning should be done in how many kms interval?
10000Kms, not required prior to that.
HimuraKenshin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2015, 11:19   #559
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by usatya View Post
Any body converted Fiesta 2011-14 petrol 1500 cc automatic car to cng.I want to convert mine which has just done 8500km only since 2012. many including converters told,not to bother converting unless the drive is high.mine is 8000km/year max. pl advice
Hi,
Have you converted ur car to CNG? If yes, how's the performance / mileage and have you faced any issues for far?
Old 31st August 2015, 13:49   #560
BHPian

Sooo....let me ask a question ...

My swift has been on CNG Diet for the last 1,30,000 kms. Apart from regular servicing, throttle body cleanup, injector cleanup, spark plug replacement and what not, nothing has been changed/replaced for CNG equipment.

Question is, what all components which fall under CNG Kit needs to be verified and changed if needed ? Rubber seals, any hoses etc which can go faulty/develop cracks inn due course of time. Without normal servicing coming into picture, what all can I get checked from CNG re-seller ?
Old 31st August 2015, 15:21   #561
Senior - BHPian

Why does the CNG guys change the Iridium spark plugs and put in the ordinary ones ? Can't we use the OE plugs (which are Iridium type in my Civic) ?
Old 2nd September 2015, 10:06   #562
BHPian

Guys, any reference of a good sequential BRC guy in Gurgaon ? Have to get the configuration done - car switches over to CNG for few seconds, then RPM drops and it goes back to Petrol.

I got this fitted from Apra Motors, which unfortunately have stopped their CNG line ....

Any reference ?!
Old 3rd September 2015, 14:01   #563
BHPian

Hello Bhpians!
Need some advice on fitting CNG on the below cars:
1. Hyundai Xcent Petrol AT
2. Tata Zest Petrol

-- I'm fully aware that I stand to lose warranty on conversion to CNG, but that's a risk I'm willing to take.
-- Tata Zest has a turbocharged petrol engine and I've heard CNG kits don't work well with turbo petrols - some clarification on this would be much appreciated.
-- Honda Amaze works well with CNG, however, I found the driver comfort on Honda to be extremely uncomfortable hence have kept it as a last option in case nothing else works.
-- Apart from the above options, none of the other cars suit me requirements hence I'm not looking at any other options anymore.

Thanks in advance!
Old 3rd September 2015, 14:16   #564
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantbhatia84 View Post
Hello Bhpians!
Need some advice on fitting CNG on the below cars:
1. Hyundai Xcent Petrol AT
2. Tata Zest Petrol
Hi!
Turbocharhed petrol engines can be easily converted to CNG. Ive driven turbocharged mercs running on CNG.
THe installer however must be skilled and know what s/he is doing.
Obviously, only a sequential kit would work on both the cars you mentioned.
You can go in for any reputed brand such as BRC, lovato, landi renzo etc.

feel free to get in touch with me regarding any query
HimuraKenshin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st October 2015, 19:31   #565
BHPian

Hi Guyz,

My friend has a Honda City Zx 2007 model and he converted the car to cng last year in September. The kit fitted was a Sequential Kit of BRC. Off lately, he is facing many issues like:
1. Misfiring
2. Very low Power and Mileage (approx 50 to 60 in tank full of CNG)
3. Huge vibrations when the car switches to CNG and the AC is ON
4. Car gets off while running

Got the kit fitted at Eco Green in Mumbai and they are yet to reach to a conclusion.
All the spark plugs are fine, coils are fine, throttle body was cleaned, air filter was changed but still the problem is the same.

Spoke with the engineers of BRC in Ahmedabad on team viewer but one said that the cylinder might be at fault to this I was shocked as I have some knowledge about cars and my friend is totally unaware of technicality as when the car is running in petrol it is absolutely fine with none of the above issues so I thought to put the matter here where we can get a solution.

Also spoke with Mr. Arun Jain from Suraj Auto Gas and he said to speak with BRC guyz only.

Please help us so as to what needs to be done.
Old 2nd October 2015, 23:19   #566
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jassy1313 View Post
Hi Guyz,

My friend has a Honda City Zx 2007 model and he converted the car to cng last year in September. The kit fitted was a Sequential Kit of BRC. Off lately, he is facing many issues like:
1. Misfiring
2. Very low Power and Mileage (approx 50 to 60 in tank full of CNG)
3. Huge vibrations when the car switches to CNG and the AC is ON
4. Car gets off while running

Got the kit fitted at Eco Green in Mumbai and they are yet to reach to a conclusion.
All the spark plugs are fine, coils are fine, throttle body was cleaned, air filter was changed but still the problem is the same.

Spoke with the engineers of BRC in Ahmedabad on team viewer but one said that the cylinder might be at fault to this I was shocked as I have some knowledge about cars and my friend is totally unaware of technicality as when the car is running in petrol it is absolutely fine with none of the above issues so I thought to put the matter here where we can get a solution.

Also spoke with Mr. Arun Jain from Suraj Auto Gas and he said to speak with BRC guyz only.

Hi Jassy,

If the BRC guys are saying that the problem could be qith one cylender then I would recommend you to do a compression test on the the car. You will come to know if there is actually a problem or not. If the compression test comes fine you could show that report to BRC guys and ask them to fix the car.

nIk
Old 3rd October 2015, 00:04   #567
BHPian

Quote:
The problem could be with the wiring, I have had this issue due to a loose injector connector in my LPG sequential kit.
Is there any checklight flashing?
Try to get the entire wiring checked once.
Also, mostly the engineers from Ahmedabad are unable to figure out the exact issue, try to get in touch with Mr. Prem from BRC Ahmedabad, he has been with BRC for a long time and may be able to figure out the issue.
I can PM you his personal number if required.
Old 5th October 2015, 10:23   #568
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guyz, My friend has a Honda City Zx 2007.
I second the opinion of getting wiring checked. If car is running fine on petrol then there must be some loose connection somewhere in CNG wiring. This could easily be checked by tech2 or something similar
Old 11th October 2015, 03:45   #569
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

I was wondering if anyone has done a deconversion - i.e. remove the CNG fittings and turn the car back into a pure petrol. I don't drive much these days and it's not worth the trouble of going to a CNG pump and getting it filled etc and also losing the convenience of the dickie.

My Swift was converted to closed loop BRC CNG system by Greenglobe. I think I broke even in less than a year (I used to drive around 1000 kms a month then - now hardly 300-400 kms). I wondering if there are any problems in removing the CNG fittings or if it's even necessary to remove the fittings (I can keep the car permanently on the petrol switch) and just remove the CNG tank? Can I get any money for the tank?

Has anyone done this?

Last edited by carboy : 11th October 2015 at 03:46.
Old 11th October 2015, 07:51   #570
BHPian

There is absolutely no problem in removing the kit.
In my case I removed the sequential kit from my Ritz and the current owner has not faced any problem till date.
You can consider removing the complete fittings and putting it on some online classifieds, I have seen many such ads but not really sure about how much it will fetch you.
Hope this helps.

Most Viewed