Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2011, 14:51   #16
BHPian

Re: My Turbocharged Maruti 800 MPFi

@Born2Slow -
1. I tried it with the stock carb on the M800 turbo. But the stock carb tends to excessively bleed petrol when on boost.
I had 3 options-
a. Modify the OEM carb to make it boost friendly (which is a bit difficult)
b. Use a carb enclosure type setup where the carb is boxed air tight and the box is force fed from the turbo (the box has to stand pressure and the throttle cable mechanism etc shouldnt bleed boost)
c. Use boost friendly carb

I replaced the OEM carb with a boost friendly carb (AISAN) and later tried Nikki carb too.

2. You can design a "suck through" or "Blow through" turbo setup. I build myself a blow through setup.

3. Besides leaning out, there could be plethora of other issue that you may need to sort
out. You may get the fueling right when "not on boost" but lean on boost or vice versa. You may have float issues when the turbo builds boost - and you may have to compensate the boost pressure on top of the float with a counter pressure signal to the other side so that it doesnt collapse on to one side. This is considering that, the carb doesnt have a compensation mechanism in place for boost.

But, one thing is for sure - Setting up and tuning a carb turbo setup is much more challenging than turbo'ing a fuel injected setup.... at least for me it appeared so !!!
swiftboost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2011, 15:42   #17
Senior - BHPian

That's a pleasant surprise. Can i do a test ride? I like the 800s.
Old 1st June 2011, 15:53   #18
BHPian

Thanks for the prompt reply. I like to play around with carbs so was wondering about the effects of high pressure and high flow. I wanted to turbo charge my sx4 but decided against it as it is a front wheel drive. So now I am on the lookout for a sporty rear wheel, if only I could get one cheap. Any turbo project and I am all eyes and ears.
Old 1st June 2011, 16:18   #19
BHPian

@Born2Slow - The SX4's M16 is a good platform to turbocharge except for the slightly high CR. You could probably go for TD04 (smaller trim), GT20 or T25 for a very reliable low boost (<10psi) setup with all stock internals.

A front wheel drive setup should do fine with turbo but given a choice rear wheel drive/all wheel drive is always better. So, maybe you could reconsider SX4 as the next turbo candidate !!!
Old 2nd June 2011, 15:41   #20
BHPian

I have a feeling very soon I might give in to the temptation
Old 2nd June 2011, 16:51   #21
BHPian

Ive been following your carb. turbo setup thread. looking forward to see how this setup performs. best wishes!

And couldn't resist mentioning, but i may have a perfect candidate for such a setup. (actually it really needs a turbo)

powered by M800 carb engine,Light, plenty of room in the engine bay, RWD.

Sandrail
Name:  100_1860.JPG
Views: 16568
Size:  122.4 KB

in supermoto guise
My Turbocharged Maruti 800 MPFi-100_2379.jpg
Old 2nd June 2011, 16:55   #22
BHPian

@swiftboost:
I remember seeing several 'free flow' 800's in its hey days but never a TC'd one!
Do share details once the project is complete. do you plan a dyno run?

Edit: Do let me know your views on ease/difficulty of TCing a Palio 1.6.

Last edited by viper_711 : 2nd June 2011 at 16:58.
Old 2nd June 2011, 21:51   #23
BHPian

@viper_711 - Theoretically, you could turbocharge any car. I dont have any personaly experience with Fiats/palio. You may want to inspect its internals to see if its capable of taking boost and by how much. Else you need to get other suitable internals(forged or stronger OEM parts from other fiat models) if available. Once you are done with this. You need to check for ECU remap or after market ecu option to take care of the fueling and ignition issues. You may also need larger injectors.

In short - a whole lot of homework + Resources to source the right parts + getting the right kind of people to do the build - can get the job done !!!!

I dont have any plans to Dyno the car, at least for now.

Last edited by swiftboost : 2nd June 2011 at 21:53.
Old 2nd June 2011, 23:24   #24
Senior - BHPian

Very Nice project, Thanks for sharing. I can vouch for 800 being one of the most intersting cars to drive. Have a 5-Speed 800 and even after 1.7lac kms on the clock, its still a dream to drive. The 45 BHP on this light weight car still gives likes of swift, polo etc a run for their money when it comes to fun to drive factor. And, I mean it, I still prefer to pick the 800 on a cold day over swift/polo. The steering, the seating position, the foot well on this thing is very well sorted.

So, just a thought, why didn't you pick the 5-speed one, which is in all aspects better than the 4 speed MPFI.

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 2nd June 2011 at 23:36.
gaurav_chopra04 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2011, 01:41   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
... I still prefer to pick the 800 on a cold day over swift/polo...
How true, the manual super responsive steering being the best part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
So, just a thought, why didn't you pick the 5-speed one, which is in all aspects better than the 4 speed MPFI.
IIRC, the 5 speed was discontinued by Maruthi. Wondering what would be the reason.

@swiftboost, Is there any change in the revving nature of the motor with the TC?. Also, what about refinement at higher revvs? Has it improved or decreased?
Old 3rd June 2011, 11:06   #26
BHPian

@gaurav_chopra04 - Yes, M800 is a good small car. Fun to drive, reliable & cheap to own.

4 Speed over 5 Speed reasons -
1. Cheaper parts such as piston/ rings etc & the half engine kit - if needed.
2. Availability of dirt cheap used parts (I already have a few sets lying with me)
3. Got the 4 speed cheaper than the 5 speed.
4. Some if not many of the 5 speed heads are known to fail (oil & coolant gets mixed up due to some internal wall/partition failure. The only option then is to replace the head, which is expensive.

Having said that, 5 speed has a better engine as compared to 4 speed.
Old 3rd June 2011, 11:12   #27
BHPian

@Dhanushs - Yes, its eager to rev more/easily as compared to a slightly choked feeling when pushed hard.
Refinement at higher revs - Its not refined as yet, as matter of fact I cant rev it that high on boost since I dont have an after market ECU in place for optimizing fueling and ignition maps. Once I have that in place, high boost - high rev performance would be very good.
Old 3rd June 2011, 11:29   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Also, what about refinement at higher revvs? Has it improved or decreased?
Its a 3-cylinder engine to begin with! Refinement at higher RPMs will always be compromised.
Old 3rd June 2011, 11:45   #29
BHPian

@theMAG - Yes, these 3cyls may not rev as hard as the 4 cyls do.
Old 3rd June 2011, 12:38   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
the manual super responsive steering being the best part.
Its by far the best steering I have seen on any hatch . The 3 Pod too is surprisingly revv happy and was very refined (for its standard) till about 1 lac kms. In fact, there was no noise filtered inside the cabin unlike the Polo's 3 cylinder. And yes it still does 45+ in 1st, 80 in 2nd, 110 in 3rd and about 145 in 4th (though I havent done that for couple of years now). Havent used a stop watch but 100 comes in, in good time.

Quote:
IIRC, the 5 speed was discontinued by Maruthi. Wondering what would be the reason.
Yes, it was discontinued in 2003 because the same motor with some changes was added to Alto. So, to make way for 800cc alto and to position 800 below it, this version was discontinued.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftboost View Post
Some if not many of the 5 speed heads are known to fail (oil & coolant gets mixed up due to some internal wall/partition failure. The only option then is to replace the head, which is expensive.
I didnt know that, thanks for sharing. Touchwood, our car naver gave up despite the abuse I did to her.

Sorry for being too much OT. Back to the point.. A TC 800.

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 3rd June 2011 at 12:46.

Most Viewed