Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2011, 23:50   #1
BHPian

My Turbocharged Maruti 800 MPFi

While working on the carb Maruti 800 turbo setup a few years back, I decided to buy an MPFI M800 and turbo-charge it someday. Later, bought myself a stock MPFI 4 speed M800 and subsequently started collecting the necessary turbo bits. The goal with this setup is similar to the my Baleno turbo build - to be fun, reliable daily driver. The only thing different here is – I wouldn’t mind pushing/boosting it a bit more (M800 parts being not as expensive and are easy to come by).

Though I have my Turbo Baleno, I wanted something smaller, capable and cheap to run around in – M800, it was. That makes it " Two boosted suzuki siblings"

Over the past year I picked up the following – BOV, couple of intercoolers, Swift diesel Turbo and few accessories. Then I came across a slightly larger MHI turbo and decided to do the build with it. So now that I've most of the basic hardware needed to boost my M800, lets move onto the actual build thread or rather prep thread.

One of the initial problems (that worried me much) - very tight space for the turbo & ex-manifold. The oil filter jutting out in the front is a problem to have a the turbo hang below the manifold. Placing the turbo above the manifold may cause heating issues for the spark plug wires etc. since it exits very close to the turbo/exhaust manifold.
Now comes the shopping list and running errands – Listed out most of the hardware etc needed for the build and started shopping.
1. Turbo ex-manifold - flange plate & exhaust flanges– Gas cut & machined.
2. New stud/bolts for turbo exhaust manifold
3. Thick MS pipe (45 & 90 degree bends) 1.25 inch dia for fabricating ex-manifold.
4. Copper sheet – for cutting out turbo/ manifold gasket.
5. 4 Bolts were machined and used in the Banjo setup for oil and coolant supply line.
6. 2” MS pipe (full length) for fabricating the exhaust.

Started work on the car on a Tuesday morning.
1. Started by taking out the bumper, grill etc.
2. Dismantled the stock ex-manifold and exhaust pipe.
3. Temporarily mounted the turbo to the best position possible.
4. Ex-manifold MS pipes were routed according to the turbo position & tack welded
5. Removed the turbo ex-manifold and got it TIG welded.
6. Oil and coolant lines & accessories were modified/fabricated to suit the build
7. Got the 2” MS pipe cold bend – cut appropriately and used for exhaust system.
8. Fixed the TRUST intercooler at a suitable/chosen position.
9. Routed the intercooler plumbing from the turbo.
10. Routed the intercooler plumbing to the intake manifold.
The build was almost done by Friday. Saturday was the final fitting and rechecking for leaks etc. And sure enough there was a leak – oil leaking at the banjo bolt at the turbo oil supply source (probably because of a faulty machining of banjo bolt). It was fixed temporarily.

The car cranked up just fine. Had a short drive to check how it felt. The turbo kicked in quite late as compared to my Turbo Baleno but I guess it was not getting the right amount of fuel under boost. Soon after, it felt like the fuel supply being cut off (maybe because of the MAP sensor boost issue) – but there were not CEL, unlike Baleno when on boost.

I have been out of the country for a couple of months now. The next step is –
1. Have an ECU in place to sort out/optimize fueling and ignition maps.
2. Fabricate a new part for the oil leak at the turbo oil supply source.
3. Upgrade to Baleno Injectors to meet fueling needs.
Attached Thumbnails
My Turbocharged Maruti 800 MPFi-turbo-manifold4.jpg  

My Turbocharged Maruti 800 MPFi-turbo-manifold5.jpg  

My Turbocharged Maruti 800 MPFi-banjo-bolts.jpg  

My Turbocharged Maruti 800 MPFi-bov1.jpg  

My Turbocharged Maruti 800 MPFi-bov2.jpg  

My Turbocharged Maruti 800 MPFi-coolant-line1.jpg  

My Turbocharged Maruti 800 MPFi-coolant-lines.jpg  

My Turbocharged Maruti 800 MPFi-ex-manifold-stud-bolts.jpg  

My Turbocharged Maruti 800 MPFi-oil-return-pipe.jpg  

My Turbocharged Maruti 800 MPFi-turbo-manifold-diy-gasket.jpg  

swiftboost is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 1st June 2011, 03:41   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: My Turbocharged Maruti 800 MPFi

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftboost View Post
......I decided to buy an MPFI M800 and turbo-charge it.....
Wanted to ask, 'How dare you?'

First of all, congratulations for the project.
All the very best for the rest of the jobs.

Never thought of a Turbo charged M800.
Old 1st June 2011, 04:05   #3
Senior - BHPian

You mentioned 4 speed MPFI 800?, i think 4 speed M800 is a carb one , and you get MPFI only in 5 speed.
Old 1st June 2011, 04:18   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado
You mentioned 4 speed MPFI 800?, i think 4 speed M800 is a carb one , and you get MPFI only in 5 speed.
No. AFAIK, the MPFI came in both 4 and 5 speed. The 5 speed was sold for a short duration.

swiftboost - turbocharging an 800, smart i'd say. Hope you fix her up soon. Mind sharing the cost?
And one more thing, who did the mods?

Last edited by rg_chn : 1st June 2011 at 04:20.
Old 1st June 2011, 07:20   #5
BHPian

@ MrBoss - I have always loved the M800. Small, practical and cheap to maintain but it was not powerful enough. And when I turbocharged the carb M800 a few year back, it was surprising to see how much of a beating the stock internals can take without any issues.

It took me quite sometime to get the carburettor setting to an acceptable level to run well when not on boost and on boost. But, I had issues with controlling ignition timing when on boost. Though the carb M800 turbo was fun, I decided to buy myself and MPFi M800 and Turbo-charge it someday. Which I did couple of months ago.

Who says we cant have a relatively cheap boosted car !!!!!!!! ...
Old 1st June 2011, 07:32   #6
BHPian

@ rg_chn - There isnt much to fix except for the oil leak at the turbo oil supply line. shouldnt be a problem to fix it. I havent got spare time to look at it now since I got back from a vacation and theres tons of other work.

Besides, kids school just reopened. Once I settle the school fees and take a breather space - I need to buy myself an ECU to finish the tuning part of the turbo setup.

The complete build was done by myself. Right from buying all the parts and hardware, deciding the layout and other factors of the build. I did take a lot of help from a mechanic and welding guy at a garage close to my place to fabricate and install the setup though. The tack welding was done by this welder and took the ex-manifold outside to get it TIG welded later on.

Cost -
Havent kept complete track of it. But ball park around -
Turbo - 15K (sourced it from Bankok)
Dump pipe - 3.5K
BOV-4.5K
Trust Intercooler - 8.5K
Intercooler piping - 2K
MS pipes for manifold and exhaust - 1.5K
Exhaust manifold fabrication & TIG welding - 4K
Used oil and coolant lines (modified to suit this application) - 2K
Other hardware for oil/coolant lines - 1K approx
Labor charges - 15K approx (maybe more)
Exhaust fabrication - 4-5K

This is a ball park figure that indicates the price range for anyone to do a DIY setup. Provided you get the Turbo and other hardware at similar price levels

Last edited by swiftboost : 1st June 2011 at 07:43.
Old 1st June 2011, 07:57   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice project, although the 800 might be limited by its light weight, to be able to fully utilize the turbo's added BHP.

Some queries:

1. What boost are you looking at?
2. Would the stock internals(especially M800's) be able to take on sustained boost, or do you foresee forged internals ?
3. RD piggyback ?

Do keep us updated on this fascinating thread!
Old 1st June 2011, 09:31   #8
BHPian

Thanks @theMAG - Yes, M800 is very light. But, the bigger issue is relatively poor OEM braking setup. Tried upgrading to assisted brake setup on the older "carb 800 turbo" - does the job till 120-130 at best. Beyond which neither the slightly tweaked suspension nor the assisted brakes were of much use.

1. I pushed the "carb 800 turbo" setup to just over 1 bar of boost on stock internals and a small turbo. Blew the internals with the boost turned up to around 16psi. So, the idea with the new MPFi 800 turbo setup is to stay around 10-12 psi considering there may be a possibility of intermittent boost spikes to 1 bar.

2. I wont be going for forged internals (I dont have that kind of budget for my M800). The stock M800 internals are good and quite boost friendly, provided the boost stays around 10-12psi (on a smaller turbo). Things would be quite different if a much larger turbo is used though. The other issue with M800 and similar older suzuki engines is the limited capability of oil galaries and it maybe a good idea to have an oil cooler setup in place to take care of high oil temps.

3. Im using a RD901 on my turbo Baleno (RD601 before the 901). I might go for the RD901 again or their newer piggyback. Karthik has promised that he would let me have one of the first pieces of the new ECU. Hope I can come up with the money by then ..lol.

PICS-
1st pic - View of the engine bay with the intercooler, plumbing etc in place.
2nd pic -Turbo & exhaust manifold bolted on to the car.
Attached Thumbnails
My Turbocharged Maruti 800 MPFi-pic0066.jpg  

My Turbocharged Maruti 800 MPFi-pic0067.jpg  

Last edited by swiftboost : 1st June 2011 at 09:50. Reason: adding pics
swiftboost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2011, 10:26   #9
BANNED

Good work. I hope you have upgraded the suspension and brakes too!
Old 1st June 2011, 10:31   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Which TC is that? Looks quite nifty!
Old 1st June 2011, 10:34   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
The M800 with MPFI engines was sold with both 4 speed and 5 speed gearboxes.

I know for sure as i bought the 4 speed mpfi M800 in 2003 for city runs.
Old 1st June 2011, 11:22   #12
BHPian

Thanks. The turbo is an MHI TD025. Quite small - but larger than the swift diesel turbo though.
Old 1st June 2011, 13:11   #13
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for sharing . So just the hardware setup it is and it will work ? , No electronics touching ?
Old 1st June 2011, 13:43   #14
BHPian

@ black12rr - I dint get time to finish the electronics parts (aftermarket ECU wiring & maping). My next step is to buy an ECU to sort out the fueling and ignition issues.
Old 1st June 2011, 14:33   #15
BHPian

Great work. I had some doubts regarding turbo charging a carburetor setup and you are the right person to answer it.

1.Did you do it with the stock carb or did you have to upgrade.
2.Did you have to put the carb before the turbo i.e air filter, carb and then the turbo.
3.What happens when you flow more air through a carb than it is designed for ,does the mixture turn lean at WOT.
Best of luck on your build.

Most Viewed