Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2011, 11:51   #1
BHPian

MAHLE Oil filters - Swift/Dzire Diesel

Has anyone tried the Mahle Oil Filters on the Swift/Dzire Diesel?

Please suggest.
Old 5th June 2011, 16:58   #2
BHPian

Re: MAHLE Oil filters - Swift/Dzire Diesel

Mahle Oil/Air Filters is a local brand. (Made in India)

They have oil & air filters for various cars. Air filters & oil filters for petrol is fine but i wouldn't recommend diesel filters.

I know of a swift D on which a Mahle oil filter was used and within few kms the engine check light started showing up. When connected to a scanner it showed something wrong with the oil pressure switch.

We changed the oil filter to MGP one & the car ran fine with no engine check lights.

Maybe there was something wrong with that particular filter but then why take the risk ?

On the other hand i have also seen 100's of Mahle oil/air filters being used on various petrol cars (few diesels like indica & accents too) & they all are run fine.
Neil.Bhujbal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2011, 19:18   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Tell you words of wisdom when it comes to oil filters = STICK WITH OEM. I usually get the oil changed outside, as my cars only run on Mobil 1. Hence, the filter is sourced from the authorised dealer only. There are rather cheap to start off with, so there's really not much of a difference between their & after-market pricing.

Back to your specific question, Mahle is an OEM supplier to many brands; I would trust their quality. But again, stick to whatever Maruti uses as OEM stuff. There are other ways to lighten your wallet (e.g. K&N oil filters), though honestly, I just don't see the point.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th June 2011, 22:37   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil.Bhujbal View Post

They have oil & air filters for various cars. Air filters & oil filters for petrol is fine but i wouldn't recommend diesel filters.

I know of a swift D on which a Mahle oil filter was used and within few kms the engine check light started showing up. When connected to a scanner it showed something wrong with the oil pressure switch.

We changed the oil filter to MGP one & the car ran fine with no engine check lights.

Maybe there was something wrong with that particular filter but then why take the risk ?

On the other hand i have also seen 100's of Mahle oil/air filters being used on various petrol cars (few diesels like indica & accents too) & they all are run fine.
I had the same incident repeated to me by a technician in the MASS I frequent while we were discussing the very same issue. I had used a LUCAS oil filter when there was a shortage of MGP filters. Cost half the price - I personally did not have any problem but the technician said they faced an oil pressure problem with one of the cars that did the same.

Drive on,
Shibu.
Old 6th June 2011, 03:42   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil.Bhujbal View Post
This is like saying "Maruti Suzuki is a local brand, made in India".

First, Mahle is not an Indian company but German. The company is one of the largest automotive supplier in the world. In fact, it ranks among the top three systems suppliers worldwide for piston systems, cylinder components, as well as valve train, air management, and liquid management systems. They supply parts to almost all OEMS across the globe including BMW, Mercedes, VW group, etc.

Please google before you stereotype a BRAND .

http://www.mahle.com/MAHLE/en/Home_EN

Second whats wrong if a part is manufactured in India. We should be proud of it. Mahle already has production plants in India and plans to open another one shortly.

MAHLE Group | Chennai

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 6th June 2011 at 04:09.
gaurav_chopra04 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th June 2011, 15:48   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
The company is one of the largest automotive supplier in the world.
You betcha! Among others, Mahle is an OEM supplier to Audi, BMW, Ducati, Ferrari, Honda, Hyundai, Maserati, Mercedes-Benz, Nissan, Porsche, Toyota and Volkswagen. It's as top notch a parts manufacturer as they come.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2011, 14:37   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
Please google before you stereotype a BRAND .

MAHLE Group | Home

Second whats wrong if a part is manufactured in India. We should be proud of it. Mahle already has production plants in India and plans to open another one shortly.

MAHLE Group | Chennai
Extremely sorry. My bad should have googled a little
Old 20th July 2011, 12:39   #8
BHPian

Ok, here is an Update on MAHLE Oil Filter.

Gave the Filter to Service Advisor in MASS, asked him to check if this can be used instead of the MGP. He called after sometime and informed this is the same filter we use as MGP and should not be a problem. I am using it for last 750 kms and havent seen any issues yet.

Cost difference: I paid 120rs while the one at MASS costs 480rs.
Old 13th May 2012, 10:37   #9
BHPian

hi deepak,

can you post more information about the Mahle oil filter?

where did u get it from? what was the name of the filter? was it purolator? how is the performance of the same?
Old 13th May 2012, 18:29   #10
BHPian

Hi, I think Mahle filters are quite ok. I have used them & no complaints at all.
Old 13th May 2012, 20:45   #11
Senior - BHPian

MAHLE Filter Systems India Limited

Mahle Filters is part of the Anand Group of companies which has various companies in JV with the best in the world. Gabriel, Spicer-Dana, Mando Brake, Behr Air conditioning, perfect circle etc. Literally every vehicle in India has a part which has been made by Anand Group.
If you see the customers of Mahle, nearly allbig companies are included. What happens in case of many companies including maruti is that the filter is branded MGP while it is made by Mahle. Maruti as such has no oil or air filter making plant. They are all sourced by vendors.
A problematic example given above might be a wrong filter application. A lot of filters share the same threads and can be installed on a lot of cars. But what matters is the oil pressure grading of the filters. This might simply be a wrong pressure application of the filter.

The companies under Anand group are good. And the fact that they are made in India and not china should make us proud as well as assured that the quality will be better. We are better in terms of quality any day. I am doing my internship at Spicer Dana Jodalli, Karnataka. I am amazed by the quality of machines used here. CNC machines from MAZAK. no.1 in the world. They have tolerances of 3-5 microns here and imagine have a repeatability of this tolerance in over 3 lakh parts which are shipped every month to companies in india as well as abroad in nearly equal ratio. This is simply stupendous.

Never and I mean NEVER look down upon a product made in India. I have seen and am part of the management and control at this plant and this is world class by any standards. Each and every machine is run by Proper qualified engineers and not semi skilled workers. Yes Proper Mechanical Engineers actually operate the machines. Even the plant heads and other high officials have risen from being operating engineers so have an in and out knowledge of each and every operation.
navpreet318 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2012, 04:58   #12

I have installed a K&N apollo kit on my swift deisel, My Car machanic says it will hamper my Turbo, I disagree with his theory, Experts comments please
Old 16th November 2012, 15:33   #13
Senior - BHPian

Mahle is one of the biggest OE suppliers in the World. Right up there with companies like Denso. In fact, Mahle is responsible for the pistons in most of the F1 engines on the grid today!
Old 16th January 2013, 20:18   #14
BHPian

Mahle is the same company that makes Purolator filter elements. Guess that'll be a more familiar name.
Old 7th October 2017, 12:28   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
Mahle is one of the biggest OE suppliers in the World. Right up there with companies like Denso. In fact, Mahle is responsible for the pistons in most of the F1 engines on the grid today!
mahle oem and aftermarket supply are of different quality as per mass and local workshops

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks