Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2012, 14:20   #76
BANNED

Re: Projector Headlamps for VW Vento

Two teo biggest issues which have not been addressed are : Where do you get reliable AC ballasts. It seems for every genuine one there are at least 25 fakes. Projectors can be procured and if need me fitted into existing light casings. One thing to watch out for is that make sure you get the dip left stuff!
Old 29th March 2012, 10:27   #77

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
You can contact him.
Here are the details
Ph no - 9820306441
email vinit.mirpuri@gmail.com

He should be able to help you out. Keep us updated on the progress.
I had visited Mr. Vinit (Mumbai), to get an idea on the projector set-up that he offers for the polo. Although he specializes in retrofitting projector headlamps on cars like corolla, i20 and has done a few polo/vento's, What I am not comfortable with is the brands that he is using. When asked about the company that makes the projectors, all that he said was, "its a chinese brand, with no particular brand name". This made me very wary. Especially after reading all the negative reviews of chinese projectors (especially in terms of reliability). He offers two types of projectors, one for Rs.11,500 and another for Rs.13,500. The difference between the two is that the latter has corona's. He uses a 3" projector with a 2.8" lens. I am not sure if he is using any particular branded AC Ballast, but by default assembly he offers a 35w bulb, but when I insisted on 55w bulbs he said that he would have to source the relevant Ballast separately. He also offers the option of painting the reflectors, for an additional Rs.700-800. Will be going to Four Seasons today (Tardeo) to see what Hosh can offer in terms of projectors. I had done my ICU from Ajay (@ Four Seasons), so I am quite comfortable with the quality of their work.
Old 29th March 2012, 11:39   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by eapenalexander View Post
I had visited Mr. Vinit (Mumbai), to get an idea on the projector set-up that he offers for the polo. Although he specializes in retrofitting projector headlamps on cars like corolla, i20 and has done a few polo/vento's, What I am not comfortable with is the brands that he is using. When asked about the company that makes the projectors, all that he said was, "its a chinese brand, with no particular brand name". This made me very wary. Especially after reading all the negative reviews of chinese projectors (especially in terms of reliability). He offers two types of projectors, one for Rs.11,500 and another for Rs.13,500. The difference between the two is that the latter has corona's. He uses a 3" projector with a 2.8" lens. I am not sure if he is using any particular branded AC Ballast, but by default assembly he offers a 35w bulb, but when I insisted on 55w bulbs he said that he would have to source the relevant Ballast separately. He also offers the option of painting the reflectors, for an additional Rs.700-800. Will be going to Four Seasons today (Tardeo) to see what Hosh can offer in terms of projectors. I had done my ICU from Ajay (@ Four Seasons), so I am quite comfortable with the quality of their work.
Yes, he had mentioned the same when I first asked about this. Chinese brands are not all that reliable. But when asked couple of guys, they said his work is really good. I would recommend only branded kits. The projector kit that I use on my Swift is made in Taiwan, so definitely a Chinese product I assume. I had no choice since this was a readymade kit unlike retro fitment like this once. But it's performing really well and it's been well over 2 years now.
Let me know after you hear from your other installer. Ask him the brand that he will be using and the price.
Old 8th April 2012, 01:01   #79
BHPian

i need some clarity. I have a vento and fitted it with 90/100 philips white light bulbs. It was absolute waste, could not see anything. had so much difficulty with those, changed them back.

So the vento comes with 60/55w halogen.
so if i put 90/100w halogen it would get better.( i need cut out)

1. what i need is better than oem light. with white light. what are my choices.

Xenon are better than halogen and HID are better than that. Right ?

2. Can xenon white light be better than 90/100 w of halogen yellow.

3. how much does HID cost for Vento

4. so we can get HID and projector in regular assembly.

5. Can we get full HID assembly with day time Led. where.?
Old 8th April 2012, 08:09   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

Please find my answers in black

Quote:
Originally Posted by easterncar View Post
i need some clarity. I have a vento and fitted it with 90/100 philips white light bulbs. It was absolute waste, could not see anything. had so much difficulty with those, changed them back.

So the vento comes with 60/55w halogen.
so if i put 90/100w halogen it would get better.( i need cut out)

1. what i need is better than oem light. with white light. what are my choices.

Xenon are better than halogen and HID are better than that. Right ?
HID's with projectors are good not just HID's.

2. Can xenon white light be better than 90/100 w of halogen yellow.
4300k color temperature provides the best visibility output.
4300k - Pure white with a tinge of yellow
6000k - Pure white

3. how much does HID cost for Vento
HID's starts from 6k. A branded kit would come around 8k-10k. HID's are differentiated based on bulb size (like H7, H9,H11 etc) and not cars.

4. so we can get HID and projector in regular assembly.
You should buy aftermarket kits. You can either get a complete kit or fit projectors onto your existing headlights.

5. Can we get full HID assembly with day time Led. where.?
It depends on the type of kits that are available. Most of these kits come from Singapore/Malaysia. But for the Vento, they are made mostly in India by local accessories/modification shops (since these are not common in Singapore/Malaysia). Kindly check few pages back and you will see many different models of kits. These are locally made by a shop in Mumbai. The projector kit will come between 12k-20k.

To get the entire kit, prepare to shell around 20k. Here's what I paid for my Swift

Projectors from Malaysia - 15k
Auto gauge HID's (4300k) - 7.5k
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2012, 10:26   #81
BHPian

Re: HIDs and/or projectors for the Vento?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikon View Post
I had upgraded the headlight to HIDs. My replies in bold.
What type of hid bulb did you use? normally for replacing the dual filament halogen, we need the H4-3 hid bulb with the solenoid operated shield.

Hari
Old 8th April 2012, 14:42   #82
BHPian

. We get halogen lights of 60/55 w in vento. yes/no

2. do we get 90/100w white halogen. yes/no.

3. I used white 90/100 in my car and i could not see anything don't know it was halogen or xenon. ( idea is not put the same back again. by error )

4. The light of 90/100 w halogen yellow with cut out is quite good enough for highways. my opinion. what do you guys think. yes /no

5. IS the xenon white light better than 90/100w halogen yellow. for highways or not. yes/no

6. OK HID comes comes in H7, H9, H11. which is good, does 11 has more this power and range than 9.

7. difference between xenon and HID.

8. What i understand is that projectors with HID are put in existing assembly of light, like glass and body of head light is same and back is cut or modified to put the projectors.

9. some people used, projector HID and low and halogen for high beam. or vice versa. What does than mean.

10. do we get in market complete projectors with assembly unit. so that i just buy the whole assembly head light and just remove old and fix new one.

I need is better light than 90/100w with cut out. and in white. which is cheapest option keeping mind that they should be better than 90/100w yellow light. or i can go with HID now and upgrade it to projectors later. Or buy the whole assembly with projectors.

Last edited by easterncar : 8th April 2012 at 14:48.
Old 9th April 2012, 09:47   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by easterncar View Post
. We get halogen lights of 60/55 w in vento. yes/no
Yes

2. do we get 90/100w white halogen. yes/no.
Yes, but wont be pure white as seen in HID's. But there will be a noticeable difference.

3. I used white 90/100 in my car and i could not see anything don't know it was halogen or xenon. ( idea is not put the same back again. by error )
As mentioned, only a small difference can be noticed. It wont produce a pure white light. Just a tinge of white light.

4. The light of 90/100 w halogen yellow with cut out is quite good enough for highways. my opinion. what do you guys think. yes /no
Yes, higher wattage bulbs will provide better visibility when compared to stock bulbs. My friend is using these in his Vento.

5. IS the xenon white light better than 90/100w halogen yellow. for highways or not. yes/no
Xenons/HID's are more powerful than halogens but HID's are not recommended to be used in stock reflectors since most of the light will be scattered. It will blind the oncoming traffic. These should be used with projectors.

6. OK HID comes comes in H7, H9, H11. which is good, does 11 has more this power and range than 9.
This is the bulb size and the output doesnt depend on this. Different cars have different bulb size/configuration.

7. difference between xenon and HID.
It's the same.

8. What i understand is that projectors with HID are put in existing assembly of light, like glass and body of head light is same and back is cut or modified to put the projectors.
Yes, while installing some projectors, the back of the assembly needs to be modified. You can also get bolt on projectors which is simply fixed by removing the holder assembly of the reflectors.

9. some people used, projector HID and low and halogen for high beam. or vice versa. What does than mean.
You can see this in many entry model luxury cars where the low beam got projectors and the high beam got normal halogens. This is basically for cost cutting. Skoda Laura is one example.

10. do we get in market complete projectors with assembly unit. so that i just buy the whole assembly head light and just remove old and fix new one.
Since Vento is a new car, it will be hard to find one. You can check out with the accessories shops. Many shops are introducing complete kits now. Check Retro Rides, Performance Zone.

I need is better light than 90/100w with cut out. and in white. which is cheapest option keeping mind that they should be better than 90/100w yellow light. or i can go with HID now and upgrade it to projectors later. Or buy the whole assembly with projectors.
It depends on how much you can spend.
90/100w with complete kit will come to 1.5k
HID's alone - 6k onwards
HID's and Projectors - 15k onwards
Its better you upgrade to higher wattage bulbs. You will get good visibility but not a great white output. If you want pure white output, go for 6000k (Color temp) HID's. But dont buy HID's and projectors separately. Some projector kits will have different bulb configuration. For example, if you stock reflectors use H4 bulbs, the projectors might use H9. So the HID's will be a total waste. So it's better to buy them together or confirm whether the projectors use the same bulb config. If it's the same, you can buy HID's now and get the projectors later and use the same HID's.
I came to know about this when I bought HID's for the Swift. My stock reflectors use H4 bulbs so I thought the projectors will also use H4 bulbs but I was wrong. My aftermarket projectors got H9 configuration. So be careful on that. Many guys have made this mistake

Last edited by GTO : 7th September 2012 at 18:45. Reason: No need to type in all BOLD please
naveen.raju is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th April 2012, 10:08   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jethari View Post
What type of hid bulb did you use? normally for replacing the dual filament halogen, we need the H4-3 hid bulb with the solenoid operated shield.

Hari
Its H4 bulbs - HID, 6000k and it's from P8
Old 9th April 2012, 10:57   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikon View Post
Its H4 bulbs - HID, 6000k and it's from P8
Normally for replacing single headlight bulbs (both high and low beams in one bulb), the H4-3 or H4 bi-xenon kits are used since the hid bulbs have only a single discharge element. The high beam wire is connected to a solenoid which operates a shield that covers the lower portion of the bulb. On high beam, this shield is withdrawn thereby allowing the light to be reflected from the bottom part of the reflector. Check out this link:

http://hidpalace.com/H4/9003-BI-XENO...c66/index.html

Hari
Old 9th April 2012, 18:30   #86
BHPian

[quote=naveen.raju;2739981]It depends on how much you can spend.
HID's alone - 6k onwards
[/QUOTE

Thanks Naveen that was a big help. One more thing i did put white lights with 90/100 of philips but the light was worse than stock 55/60w yellow.

The white needs to be as good as 90/100w yellow. will only xenon help or i need hid only.

And this what i have understood reading other

HID can use, xenon or other.

And Xenon bulb can also be used in place halogen bulb.
Old 9th April 2012, 19:02   #87
BHPian

[quote=easterncar;2740717]
Quote:
HID's alone - 6k onwards
[/QUOTE

Thanks Naveen that was a big help. One more thing i did put white lights with 90/100 of philips but the light was worse than stock 55/60w yellow.
I have installed PIAA 55/60 white bulbs and they are very good, better than the stock yellow bulbs.

Hari
Old 9th April 2012, 19:13   #88
Distinguished - BHPian

[quote=easterncar;2740717]
Quote:
HID's alone - 6k onwards
[/QUOTE

The white needs to be as good as 90/100w yellow. will only xenon help or i need hid only.

And this what i have understood reading other

HID can use, xenon or other.

And Xenon bulb can also be used in place halogen bulb.
To make things clear, xenon and HID's are the same. White light will have less visibility range when compared to yellow lights but normal halogens should give good output since halogens wont be pure white when compared to HID's. I found 90/100 cool blue from Osram better than stock bulbs (Swift). HID's should be used with projectors to get the best results, else you can go for higher wattage bulbs.
Old 9th April 2012, 21:03   #89
BHPian

Well xenon is type of gas which is used in the bulb. and it is also used in HID units.

HID with xenon need ballast to run.

where as xenon bulbs can be fitted to without ballast.

i have link. check it HID vs. Xenon vs. Halogen

check the third post. it is very clear. if we search xenon bulbs we get them individually. where HID can use xenon bulbs or other gases bulbs.

Last edited by easterncar : 9th April 2012 at 21:08.
Old 10th April 2012, 09:33   #90
Distinguished - BHPian

HID's use xenon gas to work. Not sure whether there are different types of HIDs. I came to about these after reading the posts since I researched for more than a year before buying projectors.
HID's will need ballast to run.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks