Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2012, 10:02   #106
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Projector Headlamps for VW Vento

Quote:
Originally Posted by ventoman View Post
Hi Naveen,

Could you please let me know more about projector headlights please. I'm keen to upgrade my stock headlights asap.
This particular installed is based in Mumbai but I have started seeing many kits in other cities as well. Well, I have seen over 3 polo's in Cochin with similar projector setups. I shall PM the contact details of the Mumbai installed.
Old 19th July 2012, 11:11   #107
BHPian

Hello! I switched from 90/100 to 100/130 in my Swift. I use high beam very very judiciously/very rarely even on highways. Throw of beam(high) is simply superb. Would HIDs (35W) much better than 130's throw? or would be almost same, since the lumens are almost same? I'm not particular about looks, beam coverage & throw on roads is imp. Experts pls share your knowledge.

Thanks,
Old 19th July 2012, 11:51   #108
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALSUDA View Post
Hello! I switched from 90/100 to 100/130 in my Swift. I use high beam very very judiciously/very rarely even on highways. Throw of beam(high) is simply superb. Would HIDs (35W) much better than 130's throw? or would be almost same, since the lumens are almost same? I'm not particular about looks, beam coverage & throw on roads is imp. Experts pls share your knowledge.

Thanks,
It would be very difficult to get proper output when using HID's on stock reflectors. Although some claim that they are really bright, most of the useful light is wasted since it gets scattered. I have previously used 90/100w and now using HID's on projectors. I feel projectors are way better. Might be because am using projector which projects lights better. I wouldnt recommend using HID's on reflectors.
Old 19th July 2012, 11:59   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
It would be very difficult to get proper output when using HID's on stock reflectors. Although some claim that they are really bright, most of the useful light is wasted since it gets scattered. I have previously used 90/100w and now using HID's on projectors. I feel projectors are way better. Might be because am using projector which projects lights better. I wouldnt recommend using HID's on reflectors.
I've installed HIDs in my Siena weekend without projectors and the beam throw is even with a good cut-off. Having said that, I must say I was lucky because of the peculiar shape of the stock reflectors. These reflectors are narrow thereby preventing light scatter upwards. Most other stock reflectors which have a larger aspect ratio will scatter the light upwards causing a lot of misery for the oncoming drivers . As a general rule, go with projectors when switching to HIDs.

Hari
Old 19th July 2012, 12:13   #110
BHPian

Hi Naveen, I'm aware, HID means proj is a must. I've gone thru almost all lighting threads & seen pics your beautiful swifty. Just a while ago I was seeing your car got damaged by a rick fellow etc... Me too a car enthusiast. With projector how's the high beam throw, if compared to Halogens 130W. I'm using flosser bulbs (one of my favorite brand for decades). I don't have first hand experience on HIDs, all my friends are sticking to Halogens with good relay & custom made harness. Even my harness is of finolux with thicker gauge (I forgot the gauge) & interface relays. I read lot of mixed reviews on HID's high beam performance on highways i.e. not satisfied much compared to halogens even 90/100. I was tempted to go for HIDs, since I prefer night journeys (long journey on familiar roads). Due to mixed opinions I'm bit confused. You are using Autogauge HIDs & in the pic throw looks good. On highways how's the high beam throw?
Old 19th July 2012, 12:30   #111
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALSUDA View Post
Hi Naveen, I'm aware, HID means proj is a must. I've gone thru almost all lighting threads & seen pics your beautiful swifty. Just a while ago I was seeing your car got damaged by a rick fellow etc... Me too a car enthusiast. With projector how's the high beam throw, if compared to Halogens 130W. I'm using flosser bulbs (one of my favorite brand for decades). I don't have first hand experience on HIDs, all my friends are sticking to Halogens with good relay & custom made harness. Even my harness is of finolux with thicker gauge (I forgot the gauge) & interface relays. I read lot of mixed reviews on HID's high beam performance on highways i.e. not satisfied much compared to halogens even 90/100. I was tempted to go for HIDs, since I prefer night journeys (long journey on familiar roads). Due to mixed opinions I'm bit confused. You are using Autogauge HIDs & in the pic throw looks good. On highways how's the high beam throw?
Yes, HID's are to be used with projectors. This is because the reflectors are not capable of focusing the beam emitted from HID's. However if it's properly aligned, HID's do work well with reflector setups although it's a rare phenomenon. As mentioned, I find my current setup to be better than my previous setup which was Osram Coolblue bulbs (90/100w). I havent actually used this for long, just couple of months then moved to projector setup. I do feel that the low beams from 90/100w to be better than my projectors but high beam is unbeatable. On the highway, high beam is really good (low beam is bad here). Throw is great and covers a wide area.

The reason why I switched to projectors is basically because higher watt bulbs produced a lot of heat and was scared whether it would melt the plastic coating of the headlights. Current setup produces very little heat and HID's have better life than halogens.
Old 19th July 2012, 12:51   #112
BHPian

thanks Naveen, as said, I'm particular about high beam throw. when situation demands it helps. In my friends circle about half dozen cars are looking for HIDs, but due to confusions they are (even me too) holding back. Would you mind PM me your mail ID or cont #? I want to discuss more on this HID & I feel my discussion is being personal instead useful to fellow members.
Old 5th September 2012, 19:20   #113
BHPian

I have been planning for HID Projector for my Vento for more than year. I did my bit of research and here are the details on my plan

My wishlist for projector setup
- HID Kit from ulitimateHIDKits (HID Bulbs(55W, 6000k), Digital Ballasts, Harness)
- HID Projector from Marimoto MINI D2S 2.0
- Shroud from Marimoto
- AngleEyes from Marimoto

Now, I would like to here any reviews/inputs from you guys.

Last edited by TopSpeeder : 5th September 2012 at 19:22.
Old 5th September 2012, 21:00   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopSpeeder View Post
I have been planning for HID Projector for my Vento for more than year. I did my bit of research and here are the details on my plan

My wishlist for projector setup
- HID Kit from ulitimateHIDKits (HID Bulbs(55W, 6000k), Digital Ballasts, Harness)
- HID Projector from Marimoto MINI D2S 2.0
- Shroud from Marimoto
- AngleEyes from Marimoto

Now, I would like to here any reviews/inputs from you guys.
Please read as Morimoto
TopSpeeder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2012, 23:18   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have been planning for HID Projector for my Vento for more than year. I did my bit of research and here are the details on my plan.
New mods for your blue, surely it will look great. Only thing concerns me is 6000K, as it would be quite bluish. Safe choice would be 4000-4300K. Going above it would give very low illumination and night driving will be pain on highways. My opinion is limited to normal halogen bulbs H4 type, don't know if projectors with 6000K have great illumination.

Quote:
Please read as Morimoto
Fellow bhpian @ninjatalli has got Morimoto projectors too on his Shadow Blue Vento. He would be right person to give you further information with regards to it. Do PM him.
Old 6th September 2012, 14:20   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
New mods for your blue, surely it will look great. Only thing concerns me is 6000K, as it would be quite bluish. Safe choice would be 4000-4300K. Going above it would give very low illumination and night driving will be pain on highways. My opinion is limited to normal halogen bulbs H4 type, don't know if projectors with 6000K have great illumination.

Fellow bhpian @ninjatalli has got Morimoto projectors too on his Shadow Blue Vento. He would be right person to give you further information with regards to it. Do PM him.
Thanks, I have sent PM to him.

I was looking for light bluish and thinking 6000k in this order. But after you mentioned I did google and noticed most of the OEM HID comes in 4000-4300k also I want good illumination, So I might settle for this 4300k. I might need your help in completing this projector project in stages. If you are also planning for projector then that would make things easy

Last edited by TopSpeeder : 6th September 2012 at 14:22.
TopSpeeder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2012, 14:46   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, I have sent PM to him.

I was looking for light bluish and thinking 6000k in this order. But after you mentioned I did google and noticed most of the OEM HID comes in 4000-4300k also I want good illumination, So I might settle for this 4300k. I might need your help in completing this projector project in stages. If you are also planning for projector then that would make things easy
Hi TopSpeeder,

Could you please count me in as well? I'm also keen to switch to projectors for my Vento.
Old 6th September 2012, 15:45   #118
Distinguished - BHPian

4300k HID's would be the best choice because

1) It offers the best visibility range.
2) Close to OEM bulbs. Pure white light with a tinge of blue light. 6000k attracts cops since it's got more blue light present in them.

Advantages of running projectors with HID's
1) More life
2) Less heat
3) More visibility

Point to note:- Never buy HID's first without confirming the projectors since many projectors have different bulb configuration. People tend to buy HID's based on the stock bulb configuration but the projectors might have different bulb configuration. For example, my stock Swift runs on H4 bulbs but my projectors run on H9 bulbs. Many guys have made this mistake so just be careful.
Old 6th September 2012, 23:02   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was looking for light bluish and thinking 6000k in this order. But after you mentioned I did google and noticed most of the OEM HID comes in 4000-4300k also I want good illumination, So I might settle for this 4300k.
Absolutely perfect choice. 4300K would be white light with slight tinge of blue. Your blue would look great.

One point to note is if possible do try, most of the HID projector have DRL which is mostly circular ring around the projector(same as in ninjatalli Vento), to have them switched on whenever you start the engine. So that you dont need to have parking light turned on, for those circular DRL. Since keeping parking lights on throughout just for DRL doesn't make sense.

Just like in Audi, DRL is always powered on for those killer looks.

Quote:
I might need your help in completing this projector project in stages. If you are also planning for projector then that would make things easy
Anytime, I may get to learn more from your experience too. To be true I do not see myself upgrading to projector setup, since the current setup I have suffices and I dont do much night driving. If any day by chance I have change of heart I might go for the VW original projector setup as in EU Polo which roughly costs Rs. 80K. Keep dreaming I say to myself.

Do let me know as the work progresses.

Quote:
Hi TopSpeeder,

Could you please count me in as well? I'm also keen to switch to projectors for my Vento.
Hey, you two should collaborate, meet up and have the projector done on both your Vento at the same time. Good discount and nothing beats meeting a fellow bhpian and that too having same car. More discussion to follow.
Old 7th September 2012, 06:57   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Hi TopSpeeder,

Sure, I'm happy I have you joining in this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Point to note:- Never buy HID's first without confirming the projectors since many projectors have different bulb configuration. People tend to buy HID's based on the stock bulb configuration but the projectors might have different bulb configuration. For example, my stock Swift runs on H4 bulbs but my projectors run on H9 bulbs. Many guys have made this mistake so just be careful.
Just to reconfirm Vento headlights are H4 right?. Any pointers to where to source from?

I have checked the following places
1).http://www.ktautopart.com/
2).http://theretrorides.com/cars.html
3).http://www.theretrofitsource.com

Please let me know any other source

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Absolutely perfect choice. 4300K would be white light with slight tinge of blue. Your blue would look great.

One point to note is if possible do try, most of the HID projector have DRL which is mostly circular ring around the projector(same as in ninjatalli Vento), to have them switched on whenever you start the engine. So that you dont need to have parking light turned on, for those circular DRL. Since keeping parking lights on throughout just for DRL doesn't make sense.
I agree it's good option, but I'm not sure any easy to find the engine in running or not? It looks complex from outside.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks