Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2011, 09:23   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Projector Headlamps for VW Vento

Here's something that many Vento owners have been looking for. Projectors for the VW Vento. It's custom made. Will source more details soon.

Note from Moderator: All discussion Projector HL from Vento TD thread moved to this new thread. Please continue the discussion here. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Projector Headlamps for VW Vento-dsc03960.jpg  

Projector Headlamps for VW Vento-dsc03965.jpg  

Last edited by .anshuman : 10th June 2011 at 13:09. Reason: See note in the post.
naveen.raju is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th June 2011, 11:53   #2
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Here's something that many Vento owners have been looking for. Projectors for the VW Vento. It's custom made. Will source more details soon.
Looks cool, Awaiting for more pics and detail.
Old 8th June 2011, 12:07   #3
BHPian

I assume those projectors will affect the warranty?
Old 8th June 2011, 14:35   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Oh those projectors look so hot!! nice find naveen.raju. Please provide more details soon.
Old 8th June 2011, 14:41   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

@TopSpeeder,ventolute

Will try to get more pics soon. The shop is based in Mumbai and costs around 10k for the projectors and 2.2k for fitment and painting the inner reflectors.
Old 8th June 2011, 14:42   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhinav.Daos View Post
I assume those projectors will affect the warranty?
It wont void the warranty since this is a plug n play device.
Old 8th June 2011, 17:45   #7
BHPian

@Naveen,

Thanks Naveen for the details.

I'm sure this will fetch stunning look for the car.

How do we compare the brightness with Halogen lamps, Will this be equal or better to Philips 90/100W?. Sorry for this question, I haven't used it so far.
Old 8th June 2011, 18:50   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopSpeeder View Post
@Naveen,

Thanks Naveen for the details.

I'm sure this will fetch stunning look for the car.

How do we compare the brightness with Halogen lamps, Will this be equal or better to Philips 90/100W?. Sorry for this question, I haven't used it so far.
I have asked him for more details on this. The brightness depends. Some after market projector kits are hopeless. But taking my Swift as an example I would say it worked well. I had used 90/100w halos in my swift but when I changed to projectors the visibility was great. It depends on the kit, HID's and installation. So I have asked more details on this. Let's see if this is worth the extra effort and cash.
Old 9th June 2011, 16:05   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Hey that's great news for me, who's been checking out for this over months now. The closest I got to this, from my research, was the car accessories shop in Forum Mall, Bangalore. But he quoted 18k, assured that it would be water proof & wont void warranty. The one you found is much cheaper Can the one you have in pics, be assured of being water-proof? Are they 'cutting' the existing HL setup in any way to install the projector? Can subtle visual improvements (like the Audi DRL/ BMW Angel eyes etc) be added to it?
Old 9th June 2011, 19:35   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJames View Post
Hey that's great news for me, who's been checking out for this over months now. The closest I got to this, from my research, was the car accessories shop in Forum Mall, Bangalore. But he quoted 18k, assured that it would be water proof & wont void warranty. The one you found is much cheaper Can the one you have in pics, be assured of being water-proof? Are they 'cutting' the existing HL setup in any way to install the projector? Can subtle visual improvements (like the Audi DRL/ BMW Angel eyes etc) be added to it?
Here's an update.

You will need to send the existing headlights to him. The entire setup will include projectors, HID with ballasts and required wiring. It should come close to 11.5-12k including painting the inner reflectors.

This got the bmw eyes as shown in the picture. If you are really interested, I can pass his contact details. Only problem is that he is in Mumbai.
Old 9th June 2011, 20:17   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Here's an update.

You will need to send the existing headlights to him. The entire setup will include projectors, HID with ballasts and required wiring. It should come close to 11.5-12k including painting the inner reflectors.

This got the bmw eyes as shown in the picture. If you are really interested, I can pass his contact details. Only problem is that he is in Mumbai.
What does he use the current headlights for? Isn't it the standard size for all headlights. Surely he is not using the headlights and then doing plastic coating/just painting on the headlights? Me confused

Last edited by .anshuman : 10th June 2011 at 13:12. Reason: Discussion on projectors moved to independent thread. Thanks
Old 9th June 2011, 21:00   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
What does he use the current headlights for? Isn't it the standard size for all headlights. Surely he is not using the headlights and then doing plastic coating/just painting on the headlights? Me confused
He will use the existing headlights and fit the projectors onto them, that is retro fitment of projectors. The OEM HL's will come around 10k approx. So if you want without sending the your existing HL's, it will approx come to 18k-20k. I havent personally seen this and do not know this guy. Anyways, there are few cars waiting to get this. Let's see if this is worth the cash.
Old 10th June 2011, 07:09   #13
BHPian

Quote:
I have asked him for more details on this. The brightness depends. Some after market projector kits are hopeless. But taking my Swift as an example I would say it worked well. I had used 90/100w halos in my swift but when I changed to projectors the visibility was great. It depends on the kit, HID's and installation. So I have asked more details on this. Let's see if this is worth the extra effort and cash.
I think HID Xenon projector headlamps without a provision for high-pressure washer jets in front (see picture) will be illegal.

I had fitted a set of p4 HID Xenon (made in Thailand) for Rs12K on my Baleno several years back and it worked extremely well. However, during monsoon when the headlamp casing was covered with a layer of wet mud, the high-intensity beam started getting diffused even in low beam. This caused considerable 'blinding' to oncoming traffic. I voluntarily removed the HID Xenon assembly and reverted back to OEM.

It's too dangerous during monsoon for oncoming traffic (without washers) and I would not recommend any after-market HID assembly. I've modified my Rs 12K HID Xenon lamps into a hand-held floodlight (although I don't have a need for it).

Last edited by msprabhakar : 10th June 2011 at 07:18.
msprabhakar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th June 2011, 09:38   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msprabhakar View Post
I think HID Xenon projector headlamps without a provision for high-pressure washer jets in front (see picture) will be illegal.

I had fitted a set of p4 HID Xenon (made in Thailand) for Rs12K on my Baleno several years back and it worked extremely well. However, during monsoon when the headlamp casing was covered with a layer of wet mud, the high-intensity beam started getting diffused even in low beam. This caused considerable 'blinding' to oncoming traffic. I voluntarily removed the HID Xenon assembly and reverted back to OEM.

It's too dangerous during monsoon for oncoming traffic (without washers) and I would not recommend any after-market HID assembly. I've modified my Rs 12K HID Xenon lamps into a hand-held floodlight (although I don't have a need for it).
Any after market projectors and HID's on OEM reflectors are illegal. It depends on the quality of the projectors and HID's to measure it's performance during rains. I dont find any scattering of light during rains but visibility is reduced during rains. The blinding is because of using HID's in OEM reflectors projectors. This is common everytime.
Old 10th June 2011, 10:47   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Any after market projectors and HID's on OEM reflectors are illegal. It depends on the quality of the projectors and HID's to measure it's performance during rains. I dont find any scattering of light during rains but visibility is reduced during rains. The blinding is because of using HID's in OEM reflectors projectors. This is common everytime.
I'm aware that India has no clear regulations or guidelines on HID automotive lamps, as of date. However, as with all laws Indian, they follow U.K. guidelines by and large.

Here's the link to U.K. guidelines issued by the Department of Transport.

In practice this means:

1. The headlamp unit (outer lens, reflector, bulb) shall be type approved to ECE 98 and be "e-marked" to demonstrate this. That can only be done by the headlamp supplier - Hella, Valeo etc. who must test the headlamp in an independent laboratory.

2. Once fitted to the vehicle it must have headlamp cleaning and self-levelling (which can be for the headlamp or can be in the vehicle suspension - some expensive estate cars have "self-levelling suspension" and that is adequate). Also the dipped beam must stay on with the main beam.

3. The headlamp must be maintained in good working order, kept clean, and aligned/adjusted correctly like any other headlamp.

It is an offence to supply, fit or use vehicle parts which are not legal.

In summary it is not permitted to convert an existing halogen headlamp unit for use with HID bulbs. The entire headlamp unit must be replaced with one designed and approved for use with HID bulbs and it must be installed in accordance with the rules stated above.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks