Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2006, 14:42   #1

turbocharging or petes tunning box? help!

hey guys.

i have an accent viva crdi and i think its an amazing car. i have been wanting to do some mods on it for quite some time. right now it is just a stock car running on 15 inch 195/50 rubber.
now i have basically decided to either go for the petes tuning box or a turbocharger coupled with an intercooler and blow of valve and some other tweaks.

now i am not so much into the technical aspects of turbocharging, i need your help regarding the follwing queries.

- is the 1.5 crdi engine block good enough(strength and fatiuge issues) to stand the extra power and torque.
- the whole process taking a toll on engine life.
- feasibility in terms of money vs hp and torque increase.

eventually my plan is to have je pistons, the tunning box, a free flow exhaust, and some other tweaks... plz give me your suggestions and ideas.
also plz feel free to correct me as i said that my technical knowledge isn't that great.
thanks a lot guy.
Old 3rd February 2006, 16:14   #2
Senior - BHPian

CRDi engines are already turbocharged. If you take a look behind your front bumper, you will notice the intercooler, and the plumbing leading from the turbo and to the engine.

Your best bet would be Pete's Tuning Box.
Old 3rd February 2006, 16:23   #3
BHPian

hey buddy.. personal advise:-
get a free flow done, get a K&N Typhoon Air Intake System,
Get MSD Blaster Coil n Splitfire Spake Plugs, n ofcourse get Pete's Tuning Box.. it will give you the kind of power your looking for..
Old 3rd February 2006, 16:27   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50paise
Get MSD Blaster Coil n Splitfire Spake Plugs, n ofcourse get Pete's Tuning Box.. it will give you the kind of power your looking for..
in a diesel ?????????
Old 3rd February 2006, 16:35   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50paise
hey buddy.. personal advise:-
get a free flow done, get a K&N Typhoon Air Intake System,

On a Viva CRDI...
Old 3rd February 2006, 16:39   #6
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sats
On a Viva CRDI...
Hey,

All that is stupidity and some of it may not even work on a diesel. Correct me if i'm wrong but to the best of my knowledge diesel cars do not have spark plugs or plug wires. You can contact Drifter who has a free flow and Pete's Tuning box if you want to see the performance diff in his CRDI.

Viper
Old 3rd February 2006, 16:52   #7
BHPian

A diesel car does not come with spark plugs.. it comes with glow plugs which heat the mixture.. Diesel cars burn the mixture due to high compression. Its worthless spending so much on a diesel. Pete's tuning box though on the other hand along with a K&N filter should do good.. I suggest not going more than that..

Z
Old 3rd February 2006, 17:04   #8
Senior - BHPian

As suggested by Z Klasse, go in for an air induction kit matched with the petes tuning box the combination should offer you 20+ bhp and very peppy performance.

Arush
Old 3rd February 2006, 17:14   #9
Team-BHP Support

I had a related query... how much of a difference in power can K&N make in a diesel? I wanted to dovetail that into the next query on whether adding a K&N filter in the Indica V2 diesel really pep up the car? Has anyone got a first hand experience on this?
Old 3rd February 2006, 17:22   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by z klasse
A diesel car does not come with spark plugs.. it comes with glow plugs which heat the mixture.. Diesel cars burn the mixture due to high compression.
Unlike Spark Plugs in a petrol vehicles, Glow Plugs in diesel vehicles are used only at the time of starting the vehicle in order to preheat the mixture.

Once it starts, the Glow Plugs are turned off.
Old 3rd February 2006, 19:46   #11
Senior - BHPian

MSD, Splitfire...on a common-rail diesel. Man, if they work like they do on a petrol, I'll buy you another Viva CRDi!!!
Old 3rd February 2006, 20:52   #12
BHPian

How about upgrading the turbo to a bigger one.

And a free flow. (I would really like to hear a diesel engine with a free flow exhaust. Man it's gonna be loud).
Old 3rd February 2006, 21:01   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtea
How about upgrading the turbo to a bigger one.

And a free flow. (I would really like to hear a diesel engine with a free flow exhaust. Man it's gonna be loud).
yup it becomes quite loud.
As for tunning get Petes box as CRDi already has turbo.
Engine can withstand additional power, no worries there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper
All that is stupidity and some of it may not even work on a diesel. Correct me if i'm wrong but to the best of my knowledge diesel cars do not have spark plugs or plug wires.
you are right viper, diesel engine doesn't have spark plug as mixture is ignited under pressure
How Stuff Works Link
Old 3rd February 2006, 21:39   #14
Senior - BHPian

Sparkplugs, msd, freeflow on a diesel car..No nitrous?? ..hehee..humorous indeed...how bout moving this to the jokes thread? Sorry mate ...no offence...jus kidding....

My suggestion would be common to others, petes tuning box and a bigger turbo should make you feel good....

50paisa : I think you overlooked the crdi part, its a diesel dude, so none of what you mentioned might work...
Old 3rd February 2006, 21:55   #15
BANNED

Hey,

Just remembered you can adda NOS kit. ZEX makes kits for diesel cars and costs almost the same.

Viper

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks